PDA

View Full Version : canoeing AT sections?

footpad
01-03-2011, 13:04
are there any sections of the AT that could be canoed. maybe outfitters that would provide gear?

how cool would it be to jump in a canoe and get 50 miles more towards the trail by river!

thanks in advance.

Tenderheart
01-03-2011, 13:28
A group canoed parts of the Shenandoah around Harper's Ferry in 2000. There was an outfitter that catered to their every need. I wish I knew the name. Back then, it was called aqua-blazing.

litefoot 2000

footpad
01-03-2011, 13:37
i hope something digs up.....what a nice way to break up miles on the feet.

if the trail/waterways allow, imagine the niche market.

Blissful
01-03-2011, 13:42
Shenandoah River, paralleling SNP

The Snowman
01-03-2011, 14:02
sure a lot of people do this on the CT section every year. put in is usually at Falls Village take out at Bulls Bridge. I think Clark Outdoors does rentals.

fiddlehead
01-03-2011, 15:13
Most rivers do run SOBO.
So, if you were SOBO, you could get off the trail around High Point SP in Jersey, or even a little before, and get to the Delaware river and canoe down to Delaware Water Gap.
That's about a 2 day stretch either way I believe.

I like your way of thinking Footpad.

footpad
01-03-2011, 16:07
thanks alot for the info.....already a few options and great places to start.

didnt think of the river direction....lol, guess that would help.

i love to canoe...the wife and i, after being warned not to (poisen ivy, chiggars, etc.), started a hike dead of summer along the buffalo river in northern arkansas...wasnt too bad, but, looking down from the bluffs on a that clear, cool sparkling river sure changed our direction. that evening we hitched a ride into town, ate a burger and grabbed a room. the next morning we rented a canoe and with a cooler of beer paddled all day....now thats how to spend a hot summer day!

thanks again yall.

veteran
01-04-2011, 16:29
are there any sections of the AT that could be canoed. maybe outfitters that would provide gear?

how cool would it be to jump in a canoe and get 50 miles more towards the trail by river!

thanks in advance.

River & Trail Outfitters (http://www.rivertrail.com/index.php) near Harpers Ferry West Virginia.

firestarter
01-04-2011, 20:38
the northern forest canoe trail loosely parallels the at here in maine, you could conceivably canoe the section from rangeley to the kennebec river, and then get back on the at in caratunk.

if you think paddling sounds like a good idea before your hike, just wait until you have walked every day for a couple months, and it will sound positively delicious. the at crosses so many fab rivers to zero on: the hudson, the susquehanna, the shenandoah. a lovely worthwhile change of perspective, at least for me on my thru.

corialice81
01-04-2011, 20:47
I've seen Flagstaff lake paddled instead of climbing the bigelows in Maine. Sue and Circuit Rider from Stratton helped with shuttling.

Dkeener
01-05-2011, 08:40
There are several outfitters in the Front Royal, VA area that run trips on the Shenandoah, which flows north. Try googling Downriver Canoe Company and Front Royal Canoe Company. There are a couple others too but I can't racall them at the moment.

Cookerhiker
01-05-2011, 22:42
There are several outfitters in the Front Royal, VA area that run trips on the Shenandoah, which flows north. Try googling Downriver Canoe Company and Front Royal Canoe Company. There are a couple others too but I can't racall them at the moment.

Downriver Canoe Co. is good - I used them just last summer.