PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Hiking for Charity

Courage
01-03-2011, 14:20
I'm planning a SOBO hike for 2011, and I want to use it as a vehicle to raise money for Charity:Water (http://www.charitywater.org). My biggest question is about getting gear and supplies sponsored; is there a good way to go about? Will people only listen once I've actually started to raise funds?

I want to do a website/blog to keep sponsors/interested people up to date, and also because it would be a good place to plug the sponsors (as incentive for them to donate). Does anyone have experience with this?

BaconTime
01-03-2011, 14:24
People are going to have a field day with you on this one. It is alright to hike for charity, but not so much if you are having people fund your trip. If 100% of your donations are going to the charity I believe more people would be interesting in donating.

BT

Mags
01-03-2011, 14:31
Work a part time job, buy your gear/clothing/supplies for the trip.

For donations, have people send directly to the group so there is no question of 'funny business'.

Slo-go'en
01-03-2011, 14:32
If you want to have gear, supplies or any other expense for the hike donated or sponsored to you, then the charity your hiking for is YOURSELF!

I feel, as do many on this site, that the only way to properly do a charity hike is to ask people to donate directly to the orginzation for which you want to help. Your only role in this is to make people aware of the charity and ask people to support it, maybe by asking them to pledge some sum per mile you hike and then send that money to the charity when your done.

SwitchbackVT
01-03-2011, 14:40
Check out the book "A Walk For Sunshine" bu Jeff Alt - this guy thru hiked the AT for a charity, and at the end he goes into detail about the best ways to go about hiking for charities. He probably lists them here as well:

http://jeffalt.com/awalkforsunshine3.asp

Great book!

Raul Perez
01-03-2011, 15:04
Funny Courage you brought this up. I'm actually going to start doing a charity hike once a year for my longer distance section hikes ie > 50 miles

Sponsoring your gear I dont think will fly especially with people applying donations. Your best bet is to have the charity have a website established for you and direct people to donate directly to the organization via the website. That's what I'm going to do.

kayak karl
01-03-2011, 15:46
Mags is right. its the reason i won't back and don't care about this guy. http://www.theinitiativesite.com/

wornoutboots
01-03-2011, 15:50
Check out the book "A Walk For Sunshine" bu Jeff Alt - this guy thru hiked the AT for a charity, and at the end he goes into detail about the best ways to go about hiking for charities. He probably lists them here as well:

http://jeffalt.com/awalkforsunshine3.asp

Great book!
Agreed! I picked this up at Christmas & he did a great job for his Charity & the book is quite entertaining!

fiddlehead
01-03-2011, 15:56
We like hiking and adventure sports so much, we usually will offer a discount to hikers who ask and have a good reason for asking for gear.
As for the charity thing. Don't BS anyone about money or gear they are donating.
If it's really for you, just say so. We'd rather honesty than a good cause (because we don't think much of that good cause money actually gets there)
(I saw it first hand in the tsunami in SE Asia in 2004)

Anyway, good luck and have fun on your hike.
Our website is: www.theunderwearguys.com
YOu can email us through there.

hobbs
01-03-2011, 16:20
If it's up and up people will by in. But in this community. Words don't mean much! it's about what the can see. The money needs to go directly to the org that your collecting for. Also no bailing and leaveing the Org high and dry. But good luck if you do persue it.

Blissful
01-03-2011, 16:22
Work a part time job, buy your gear/clothing/supplies for the trip.

For donations, have people send directly to the group so there is no question of 'funny business'.

Yes and yes.

Blissful
01-03-2011, 16:25
I'm planning a SOBO hike for 2011, and I want to use it as a vehicle to raise money for Charity:Water (http://www.charitywater.org). My biggest question is about getting gear and supplies sponsored; is there a good way to go about? Will people only listen once I've actually started to raise funds?

I want to do a website/blog to keep sponsors/interested people up to date, and also because it would be a good place to plug the sponsors (as incentive for them to donate). Does anyone have experience with this?

SOBO is not an easy venture by any means.

Just be sure you know what you're getting into.

That's why I'd skip the sponsor stuff and just raise the money as best you can through the organization you sponsor.

There's a reason few finish a SOBO attempt...

Courage
01-03-2011, 18:30
The biggest reason I asked about gear getting sponsored is because that's what Jeff Alt did; it would definitely be unethical to not tell people where the money was going and to use it for gear first. That's why I would approach outfitters directly; all requests for just money would only be going to the charity.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2011, 19:31
How would your hike increase donations to Charity:Water, a highly rated charity, which is already very well marketed?

Why would sponsors supply you with gear and supplies (let's call it $5000 for equip, transport, and food for a thru) as opposed to simply directly donating the value of those items to the charity?

Exit strategy: If you don't complete your thru, how are you going to handle the effect (especially any negative ones) on the charity, the sponsors, and donations, and especially pledges not already received?

fiddlehead
01-03-2011, 19:58
Why would sponsors supply you with gear and supplies (let's call it $5000 for equip, transport, and food for a thru) as opposed to simply directly donating the value of those items to the charity?

Perhaps to get our business' name out there a little more than the normal ways.
It's called "thinking outside of the box"
It can be an inexpensive way of advertising.
That's how we categorize it anyway.

Let him do his thing.
He's not hurting anyone and might even raise a few bucks for his charity.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2011, 20:57
Perhaps to get our business' name out there a little more than the normal ways.
It's called "thinking outside of the box"
It can be an inexpensive way of advertising.
That's how we categorize it anyway.

Let him do his thing.
He's not hurting anyone and might even raise a few bucks for his charity.
I'm asking him those questions so that he asks them of himself, so that he is prepared to answer them when asked. I'm not asking him anything a potential sponsor or donor wouldn't potentially ask. Ya come off a lot better if you have your elevator pitch down pat.

Rain Man
01-03-2011, 21:22
Courage, first of all, best wishes to you on your hike and fund-raising good intentions. Second, this would be a great subject for someone to write an "article" about for WB. That way, instead of rehashing it regularly when it comes up, we could refer folks to it. And we would keep it updated or post comments and opinions there.

Third, if you plan to do charitable fund-raising, then you need to know it's not for amateurs. Of course you might need to register with the IRS. Many people know that. Are you willing to go to all that expense ... or scheming to avoid it? But also many people do NOT know they have to register with their own state (and maybe all 14 the AT goes through? I don't know) to do fund-raising. Here in Tennessee the Secretary of State and Attorney General sometimes get kinda serious with folks who feel their self-professed good intentions raise them above the law and they therefore fund-raise behind the authorities' backs (meaning they don't register in advance as required).

So, not to throw cold water. Fund raising for bona fide charitable purposes is a good thing. But not if done a bad way.

As far as funds going toward paying your expenses, I have mixed feelings. Here in Nashville, big music stars are all the time doing fund-raising concerts for very fine charitable causes. But I promise you that in almost all cases, it's the "profit" and not the gross. Someone's gotta pay their truck and bus drivers, fuel costs, back-up musicians, royalty rights, security, venue rental, etc., etc., etc. No one complains about that. Of course, performing is their career. Hiking the AT is more like a one-time vacation.

Again, best to you on both your endeavors!

Rain:sunMan

Fog Horn
01-03-2011, 21:54
I've thought of doing this as well during my thru. I figured that if people pledged per mile like the walk a thons we did in elementary school, then if I had some medical issue and needed to get off the trail, no harm no foul, they could just pay the miles I completed.

Rain Man, registering is an interesting point. Does anyone know any more information about that aspect?

Hooch
01-03-2011, 22:12
I'm with Mags. If you wanna hike, that's fine, well and Jim Dandy, but finance it yourself. Work overtime or an extra job if need be. But money for the charity should support the charity, not you. Best wishes for a successful hike.