PDA

View Full Version : Flagstaff Lake (Maine)

fredmugs
01-03-2011, 14:56
I am doing a little advance research for my next hike in Maine in July. Some of it will be overnights on the trail and some will be car shuttling. I am looking at the parking area on Flagstaff Road and just past that there is a parking area on my map marked Round Barn - Public Use Area. Just wondering if we had a car parked on Flagstaff Rd if that is an area you could tent in.

Smooth & Wasabi
01-03-2011, 15:27
You can definately camp at Round Barn. I have always used the group site with groups from work but I know there is an individual and small group site. Good spot for a dip in the lake. The Safford Notch trail leaves from there and intersects the AT at the notch. Have fun that is one of my favorite areas in N.E.

fehchet
01-03-2011, 15:27
Yes, there are several tenting spots. Spring Lake near by works too.

peakbagger
01-04-2011, 09:13
The round barn area gets lots of use and not a lot of maintenance. There is an old ski lodge just up a side road at the Safford Brook traihead on East Flagstaff road that is onwed by the state. It has been leased in the past by non profits but would be a good spot to camp if it is not open.

By the way Maine Huts and Trails has a facility off of Long falls dam road on Flagstaff lake just up from the AT crossing. Its a walk in facility but if you take the dirt road, its about a 15 minute walk (although the walk along the lake is real nice). The lodge is like an AMC hut but far nicer. They also negotiated with one of the landowners to open the road from Carrabasset to Long Falls dam road. It save about a 40 miles when driving from the west side of bigelow to the east side. They is also a lodge off of this road but it is less convenient to the AT.

garbanz
01-06-2011, 22:33
Hello Jeff
I hope I finish my thru before you finish your accordian of sections. Seriously, Im heavy into the planning phase now some of which goes on at work since Im a shortimer. Got high mileage in the hiking club this year!
GG