PDA

View Full Version : Gear List

Lumpy89
01-03-2011, 16:55
Hello all. I'm fairly new here, been reading on the site for a month or so. Here is a list of most of the gear I plan on taking with me on a NOBO early march thru hike. Not really wanting to go ultra light but don't want to go heavy either. Also looking to do this fairly cheap, I'm budgeting 1,500 for food and don't plan on staying in hostels or motels/hotels. Also plan on resupplying in towns throughout the hike. Please offer suggestions!

Bag

REI Flash 65 - 50
REI Rain cover for the bag - 7.6

Sleep/Shelter system

MSR Hubba - 44
Eureka Casper rated to 15 degrees - 49
Big Angus insulated Aircore - 25
Sea2summit thermolite bag liner adds 15 degrees - 9

Kitchen

Coleman 3001 canister stove - 6.7
Trianga alcohol stove (backup stove incase i cant find canisters) - 5.7
"Outdoor" 5 piece mess kit, might get something else
Aquamira straw filter water filter - less than an 1 ounce
Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter - 11
Spork
Bic lighter
Firesteel
Waterproof matches
4-32 ounce nagalne wide mouths. gatorade bottles worth the trade? How much water should I have on me between resupply towns?
Para cord to hang food up

Rain Gear

not decided yet, looking for something cheap but durable. Preferably pants and a jacket.

Lighting

A2 Aviator - 4.2
Energizer LED headlamp - .5 ounces
An 8 hour candle worth to bring?

First Aid

Bandaides
Antibaterial oitment
some type of pain relievers
Poison ivy cream. I usually get poison ivy if i look at it, so i will have a couple tubes of it.

Shoes/Boots

NB 571 trail runners for when it gets warmer - 12-14 ounces?
Bates water proof boots to be worn until it gets warmer - 51

Misc.

water resistant digital camera - 5
Sog Trident pocket knife - 3.6
Cell phone
multivitamins
few other stuff im forgetting

Clothing

Baselayer

REI Lightweight long underwear top and bottoms
Glove liner
Balaclava
Wool cap of some sorts
2 merino wool lightweight socks for hiking in
1 merino wool heavy sock for sleeping
Cheap t-shirt, not cotton

Insulation layer

what should I go with here? A Fleece jacket?
Still looking for ideas

Outer layer

will rain gear work here?
water resistant/wind proof gloves
REI convertable pants

Weights listed adds up to 287.3 ounces but theres obviously more. Also how are the temps in early march at the start? And the ending temps in new york and maine? Would I be ok to ship cold weather clothing and gear home, or should I keep it for the end?

All suggestions and comments are welcome!:banana

Luddite
01-03-2011, 17:07
You only need one stove and you won't need a 5-piece mess kit. I would bring the alcohol stove and if you didn't buy them yet I recommend you make your own alcohol stove or get the MSR pocket rocket. Don't need firesteel and matches. No, candle not worth bringing. You should get a puffy jacket for an insulation layer like the Patagonia Nano Puff or the Montbell Thermawrap. For cheap durable rain gear maybe the Marmot PreCip. You should check out Frogg Toggs or Dri Ducks. Dri ducks aren't durable at all but they're very breathable and inexpensive. Gatorade bottles over the heavy Nalgenes. Most people go with Aqua Mira instead of a filter, but I prefer filters. The MSR Hubba is a great tent if you plan on sleeping in it most of the time. If not, go with a tarp or tarp tent. Use a trash compactor bag for a waterproof liner for your pack. Get ear plugs for noisy shelters. You don't need two light sources. Instead, just bring the headlamp.

grayfox
01-03-2011, 17:50
+1 on everything Luddite said. I'll add a few comments to your list

Hello all. I'm fairly new here, been reading on the site for a month or so. Here is a list of most of the gear I plan on taking with me on a NOBO early march thru hike. Not really wanting to go ultra light but don't want to go heavy either. Also looking to do this fairly cheap, I'm budgeting 1,500 for food and don't plan on staying in hostels or motels/hotels. Also plan on resupplying in towns throughout the hike. Please offer suggestions! Try to set aside a bit of extra cash--towns and companionship will becon.

Bag

REI Flash 65 - 50
REI Rain cover for the bag - 7.6
a garbage bag is lighter but if this cover fits well ok

Sleep/Shelter system

MSR Hubba - 44 This tent will be great for rainy zero days if you do not plan to go to town much
Eureka Casper rated to 15 degrees - 49 This bag is heavy so you might think about trading it for a light fleece blanket in summer paired with the liner
Big Angus insulated Aircore - 25 Bring also a thin cheap foam pad for the start at least. Lots of young folks use ridgerest or zrests with good success.
Sea2summit thermolite bag liner adds 15 degrees - 9

Kitchen

Coleman 3001 canister stove - 6.7
Trianga alcohol stove (backup stove incase i cant find canisters) - 5.7
"Outdoor" 5 piece mess kit, might get something else a single pot with lid and an alcohol stove are pretty universal kit
Aquamira straw filter water filter - less than an 1 ounce
Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter - 11 leave both filters and opt for aqua mira
Spork
Bic lighter
Firesteel
Waterproof matches yes, take three methods of making a fire and practice anytime you get a chance
4-32 ounce nagalne wide mouths. gatorade bottles worth the trade? How much water should I have on me between resupply towns? just carry one large and one small gatorade bottle--large for clean water and small for drink mix. Use a platy that folds flat for gathering extra water at night.
Para cord to hang food up
Rain Gear

not decided yet, looking for something cheap but durable. Preferably pants and a jacket.
Lighting

A2 Aviator - 4.2
Energizer LED headlamp - .5 ounces
An 8 hour candle worth to bring? no--make sure you have extra battery if your headlamp uses an odd one
First Aid

Bandaides
Antibaterial oitment
some type of pain relievers
Poison ivy cream. I usually get poison ivy if i look at it, so i will have a couple tubes of it. carry one and bounce the other and be sure to carry soap to wash up with if you think you might have touched some leaves--and you might want some light gators at some point.
Shoes/Boots

NB 571 trail runners for when it gets warmer - 12-14 ounces?
Bates water proof boots to be worn until it gets warmer - 51
Misc.

water resistant digital camera - 5
Sog Trident pocket knife - 3.6 swiss army classic is enough
Cell phone
multivitamins
few other stuff im forgetting
Clothing

Baselayer

REI Lightweight long underwear top and bottoms
Glove liner
Balaclava
Wool cap of some sorts
2 merino wool lightweight socks for hiking in
1 merino wool heavy sock for sleeping
Cheap t-shirt, not cotton
Insulation layer

what should I go with here? A Fleece jacket? puffy down-at least a vest then trade for fleece perhaps
Still looking for ideas
Outer layer

will rain gear work here? yes
water resistant/wind proof gloves
REI convertable pants
Weights listed adds up to 287.3 ounces but theres obviously more. Also how are the temps in early march at the start? And the ending temps in new york and maine? Would I be ok to ship cold weather clothing and gear home, or should I keep it for the end?

Send warm gear home and then have it sent back to you later

All suggestions and comments are welcome!:banana

Lumpy89
01-03-2011, 21:53
Thank you both for the replies. I will try the trash bag liner out, would save on $ and be much lighter. Think one would last the whole hike, or should I bring a couple? The Sog Trident will stay with me as its always been with me for the past 5 years, i've put it through hell and back and its still going strong. I thought about adding a lightweight fixed blade knife but it seems they aren't needed. Yea I plan on sleeping in the MSR Hubba the whole time, should I get the footprint for it?

Thanks again and looking forward to more advice!

Luddite
01-03-2011, 22:46
Some people manage to thru hike using only two trash compactor bags. you don't have to carry an extra one. Just buy them along the way or use a bounce box. A pack cover still comes in handy though because it stops water from absorbing in the outside of your pack. If you want a footprint for it just get a piece of Tyvek which is much cheaper than getting the MSR footprint and I think much more durable. Zpacks.com sells Tyvek and they also make good Cuben Fiber and Sil Nylon pack covers.

corialice81
01-03-2011, 23:05
Thank you both for the replies. I will try the trash bag liner out, would save on $ and be much lighter. Think one would last the whole hike, or should I bring a couple? The Sog Trident will stay with me as its always been with me for the past 5 years, i've put it through hell and back and its still going strong. I thought about adding a lightweight fixed blade knife but it seems they aren't needed. Yea I plan on sleeping in the MSR Hubba the whole time, should I get the footprint for it?

Thanks again and looking forward to more advice!

Use a piece of Tyvek for a footprint. Be sure to wash it a few times before taking it on the trail to reduce noise.

Lumpy89
01-05-2011, 04:19
Hey thanks again. I will look into the Tyvek stuff. I'm starting to debate between the REI 65 which has 3950 cu inches vs the REI 50 which has 3050 cu inches. Is the 900 extra cu inches worth 20 more bucks and 8 extra ounces? Do I really need all the space of the REI 65? Would love to hear what packs you guys are using, don't want to spend more than 200.00 though.

Thanks!