PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new tent.

rookiehiker
01-03-2011, 18:01
I need a tent that will not bust the bank(under 200.00) and that will be large enough for me to not feel like a sardine(I'm 6'5" and 270) with room for gear. It will be used less than two weeks a year. Thanks.

swjohnsey
01-04-2011, 11:15
Eureka Backcountry I (or II). Backcountry I for a little over a hundred bucks from eBay, Amazon or Campmor. Actually weight is around 3' 12". Free standing, aluminum poles, short pack length.

hillsanddales3
01-04-2011, 12:15
Hey Rookie. Consider a slightly different direction. A silnyl tarp would have tons of room for you. Add a bug tent/ bug bivy and you're at $200 and 2lbs or less for the kit. I've spent many nights in that getup in the VA high country, the latest with my kids up near Wilburn Ridge in the Highlands. Please note, I started with tents, migrated to tarptents, then hammocks, and finally to tarps. Tarps are the lightest and get you IN nature, not hidden behind a psuedo wall. Hammocks are the MOST comfortable, IMO, and you could join the ranks of the "Hangers." They make them for big and tall guys. Sometimes I pack both, and I'm still under 3 lbs. Either/ any way, hike your own hike. It's what works for you and gives you the best wilderness experience. Happy Trails!

mister krabs
01-04-2011, 12:39
We need a little more than that, got a weight criteria? front or side loading, traditional or single wall?

Lots of great 2 man palaces and a few solos that will be big enough for less than 200$ check spadout.com for seeing what's out there.

http://www.spadout.com/c/tents/

Old Hiker
01-04-2011, 12:45
Steep and Cheap dot com has been having Alps 1 and 2 person tents for about $80. Gotta have the popup activated to see each deal, as they only last about 30 minutes or so. Got my wife one (5"2") and I can fit into it (6'2") if needed. ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 1.0 - asked another White-Blazer and he heartily recommended it. Ordered three other Alps tents for my Scout Troop based on reviews, but can't remember the name of that one.

mister krabs
01-04-2011, 12:51
Steep and Cheap dot com has been having Alps 1 and 2 person tents for about $80. Gotta have the popup activated to see each deal, as they only last about 30 minutes or so. Got my wife one (5"2") and I can fit into it (6'2") if needed. ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 1.0 - asked another White-Blazer and he heartily recommended it. Ordered three other Alps tents for my Scout Troop based on reviews, but can't remember the name of that one.

I've got the three man and recommend it, though it ain't the lightest tent out there.

mister krabs
01-04-2011, 21:05
This guy has exactly what you want in the gear selling section of the site
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67846

rookiehiker
01-05-2011, 00:08
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Mister Krabs,

I guess as lite as possible, and have no real preference between one or two door tents.

Thanks again.

jgiles3311
01-12-2011, 12:29
I just did an analysis of 10 tents based on wieght, packed size, price, floor area, and cieling hieght. Taking all into account I had the Sierra Designs Lightning XT1 come out on top followed by the Big Agnes Seehouse SL1 in second then the EMS Velocity 1, Mormot EOS 1 and MSR Hubba all tied for third. I gave each tent a score of 1-10 based on how they ranked against each other in those categories and added up the points, lowest score taking the top seed. No tent was over $250.

I dont know if any of these would work for a 6' 5" guy. Im 6' 3" and think most of those would work fine.

tawa
01-12-2011, 12:57
Check out the Fly Creek UL1 or UL2.

Big Dawg
01-12-2011, 13:15
I need a tent that will not bust the bank(under 200.00) and that will be large enough for me to not feel like a sardine(I'm 6'5" and 270) with room for gear. It will be used less than two weeks a year. Thanks.

Check out the Tarptent Moment (http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html). Roomy for a solo tent, (fits me - I'm a big guy, 6'5", 280#'s), simple design, lightweight, small footprint. Respected and well-liked cottage gear company. I keep all of my gear inside the tent w/ me. It's the best solo tent out there IMHO.

johnnyblisters
01-12-2011, 13:50
I strongly suggest looking into a two piece tarp/bugnet combo. Great versatility for many situations with bugs, weather, and pitching locations. I sewed a Rayway tarp and now use a BearPaw net tent. They also have great tarps. Check out their site http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/canopy_tent.html

mudhead
01-12-2011, 14:52
I just did an analysis of 10 tents based on wieght, packed size, price, floor area, and cieling hieght. Taking all into account I had the Sierra Designs Lightning XT1 come out on top followed by the Big Agnes Seehouse SL1 in second then the EMS Velocity 1, Mormot EOS 1 and MSR Hubba all tied for third. I gave each tent a score of 1-10 based on how they ranked against each other in those categories and added up the points, lowest score taking the top seed. No tent was over $250.

I dont know if any of these would work for a 6' 5" guy. Im 6' 3" and think most of those would work fine.

I don't think the SL-1 would be big enough. My opinion. 10-K-you had this tent-you think?

rookiehiker
01-12-2011, 19:29
Thanks for the additional suggestions.