PDA

View Full Version : Kennebec to Katahdin section in August

Deerleg
01-03-2011, 18:28
Starting to make some section hiking sorties into New England and am looking at Kennebec to Katahdin sometime in late summer. Based on a few different itineraries I looked at on Trail Journals it would seem the window from mid July to early September is most likely to have good weather and be ahead of the greatest pulse of NB thrus. Tentative itinerary would be to park somewhere by the Northern Outdoor Center and summit Katahdin 10-12 days later. About 150 trail miles. Maybe mid to late August? I welcome your experience and ideas!

attroll
01-03-2011, 18:38
Sounds like a great plan to me. I am not sure of your planned daily mileage. You might want to think about leaving a few more days in the 10-12 day window.

SouthMark
01-03-2011, 18:46
10-12 days for that section. You are a better man than I am Charlie Brown.

kayak karl
01-03-2011, 18:59
my trip SOBO 8/10-8/24/09 with a zero in Monson and 3 miler coming in. so 12 days is doable. it was 90 degrees with 90% humidity, but no bugs and a lot of places to swim.

DLANOIE
01-03-2011, 19:49
If you were me and I had no time restraints, I would seriously take my time as to enjoy the beauty of that particular section. Your timeframe is totally doable and a good time of year to do it. It may be very humid though and hazy views from some sumits. But otherwise very enjoyable. Best of luck and have fun!

Deerleg
01-09-2011, 10:42
If you were me and I had no time restraints, I would seriously take my time as to enjoy the beauty of that particular section. Your timeframe is totally doable and a good time of year to do it. It may be very humid though and hazy views from some sumits. But otherwise very enjoyable. Best of luck and have fun!
Thanks. Unfortunately with the job 2 weeks is the best I can do for now. I will take your advice and take my time, enjoy, and take what the trail gives. Maybe Monson would be a better start and if a have a couple of days left after I summit I could SB from Monson back toward the ford.
I'm looking forward to a day when time restrains aren't much of a factor.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-09-2011, 12:42
its a great time of the year to hike this section -the 100 mile wilderness is spectacular -dont underestimate the difficulty of this section or overestimate the mileage you think you can make each day -plan to stay at whitehouse landing if you get the chance -pricey but a cool place with great food
hillbilly

weary
01-09-2011, 12:59
Thanks. Unfortunately with the job 2 weeks is the best I can do for now. I will take your advice and take my time, enjoy, and take what the trail gives. Maybe Monson would be a better start and if a have a couple of days left after I summit I could SB from Monson back toward the ford.
I'm looking forward to a day when time restrains aren't much of a factor.
My advice is to start at Monson and if you find yourself with time to spare after the first couple of days, do the Gulf Hagas side trail loop.

fredmugs
01-12-2011, 09:38
In Aug 2005 I ended up hiking the last 56 miles from Jo Mary Rd to Katahdin and the 30+ mile stretch between Monson and Caratunk. Personally for me the weather was ideal (highs in the 60s and it did not get cold enough for me to feel in my hammock).

Before my hike I read several trail journals and they all said Maine will take longer than you think. I ignored those warnings and found that the two days I took between Monson and Caratunk was literally all I had in me. If you have not hiked in Maine before I would suggest looking at what you think you would normally accomplish and reduce it by 25%.

Personally I plan to be in Maine again around the first of July hoping to bite off 174 miles to get me down to Grafton Notch.

CherrypieScout
01-15-2011, 10:57
This July my sister and I will hike Monson to Katahdn. I'm experienced, she is not. Plan on 12 days?

soccrosse
01-15-2011, 14:00
I did this section this past August in 11 days with no problem at all. Take the time to spend the night at the White House, great folks and the food was tops.