PDA

View Full Version : Sub Kilo or Kelty Light Year?

Spider
01-04-2011, 01:13
I'm torn between these two sleeping bags. I'm wondering if I add a liner to the Kelty model I'll be able to get it down to around 20deg?

Kelty Kilo
32oz 29oz
7x11 7.5x15
40* 20*
$88 $159
600 fill 750 fill

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 01:21
I'm torn between these two sleeping bags. I'm wondering if I add a liner to the Kelty model I'll be able to get it down to around 20deg?

A liner is said to a 5 to 10 degrees to your rating, depending on who you ask and what kind of liner you get. I can't say I've ever noticed any difference, but then 5 degrees isn't really enough to tell, IMO. I don't think any liner would add 20 degrees to your bag. Some folks use two bags for that.

I have had an REI Sub-Kilo for about 7 years and it is great for me in cool temps. Some say it's too tight around the chest. I suppose that all depends on your size and preference.

Rain Man

Spider
01-04-2011, 01:23
Do you find that is is very compactable?

WhoDey
01-04-2011, 01:27
Adding a liner will not get the Kelty bag to 20*. Liners are generally used a a means to keep your bag clean so if you are expecting 20* temperatures then I would get a warmer bag

bigcranky
01-04-2011, 08:59
I answered this in your other thread. I had the 40-F down Kelty, and it was more like a 55-F bag in my experience. NO WAY that a liner of any sort gets it down into the same range as the REI Sub Kilo.

You are comparing two completely different bags. The Kelty is a fine bag, but it's only adequate for summer use (and even then I froze when it got down to 40.) The Sub Kilo is a three-season bag with better down (and a lot more of it), better shell fabric, and better design. The only downside to the Sub Kilo is the girth -- it's a slim cut mummy -- but that works for many hikers.

swjohnsey
01-04-2011, 09:44
I don't use a liner but you can lower the temp rating of any bag by wearing hat, gloves and socks or down booties. The advantage of using hat, gloves, etc. is that they are dual purpose.

For an inexpensive bag the Light Year 40 in down is pretty good. Build and design are good, durable, compacts very small. Folks are different in how cold they sleep. I have found the Kelty to keep me warm down to about freezing when sleeping in a good tent and using Thermarest pad.

Grinder
01-04-2011, 09:57
I have a light year. Had it for two years.

Got through a 15 deg nights with all my clothes It wasn't really quite comfortable but not too bad.

The next night, I used a poncho liner I carry as a bag liner. (I tie two corners and a middle together and use my toes to get it to the bottom of the mummy bag!!<G>) It was below 20 and I was comfortable.

In the high 20's it's okay with thermal underwear as PJ's. In the 40's I just use it as a quilt and it's cozy.

skinewmexico
01-04-2011, 10:50
It's hard not to do some times, but a sleeping bag is the last place you want to pinch pennies.

slugger
01-04-2011, 10:52
+1 for Sub-kilo.
I have had it for about a year and a half. It compacts to the size of a football and is very warm. I don't know how cold it was when I tested it last January because the thermometer broke after 15F, and this was before I had my silk liner. I now have a silk liner and it works great.

Spider
01-04-2011, 11:15
+1 for Sub-kilo.
I have had it for about a year and a half. It compacts to the size of a football and is very warm. I don't know how cold it was when I tested it last January because the thermometer broke after 15F, and this was before I had my silk liner. I now have a silk liner and it works great.

Well just ordered that one. Hopefully it'll be everything I'm expecting. If not, I hear REI has a really good return policy so it'll work out either way.

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 14:21
Do you find that is is very compactable?

Yes.

Rain Man

C Seeker
01-18-2011, 22:05
I just brought the REI Sub Kilo and just got it in the mail today. It is so light, fluffy, and comfy. I can't wait to bring it outside to test it. I would sleep in it tonight on my bed but i'm cat would punture holes in it.

Jim Adams
01-18-2011, 22:28
If you can...get both...they won't go to waste.

geek

SurferNerd
01-18-2011, 23:02
+1 for Sub Kilo. I have it. My favorite bag for almost 2yrs now. It's not good for large chested people or people who move around at night, its super tight. But its snuggly warm for me in the mid 20's. I have the Sea to Summit liner, and I don't see any temp difference at all. It keeps the bag cleaner, but otherwise..no extra heat.

mark schofield
01-19-2011, 07:50
I've been using the sub-kilo for a few years now. I'm 6'5" 200 pounds. I'm comfortable in it sizewise and it's kept me warm to about 25 deg. I sleep BA. My only complaint is the f#*king! zipper, which snags easily. Especially at 2AM when I have to pee. It compacts down to just about nothing. Comes with a nice compression sack.I'm happy with it. A good 3 season bag for the price.