PDA

View Full Version : Getting in shape: Mountainbiking

Snoopy
01-04-2011, 07:56
I live in Florida and although I can hike miles a day, I need to do more to get in shape for the AT mountains. I'm not in the best shape right now and have never mountain biked but I made it through the Caloosahatchee State Park trail (many hills and roots, etc.) I'm thinking that my continuous walking with a 30lb pack for a few hours and mountain biking once a week will put me in pretty good shape by April.

I would like any thoughts on mountain biking and getting in shape as I bought one and took it out for the first time last weekend. :sun

moytoy
01-04-2011, 08:13
I do all my training in Florida and seem to do fine in the GSMNP. I walk 6-9 miles 5 days a week. I ride a mountain bike on paved roads mostly for additional exercise but I don't really feel it's adding much to my conditioning. Riding off road may give more resistance and thus better leg strength.

Gray Blazer
01-04-2011, 08:25
I live in FL also and I had always wanted to try mountain biking. I remember the first time I started riding downhill in NC mountains. "This is cool. This is awesome. This is what I've always wanted to do, " I thought to myself with the breeze blowing thru my hair. Then I started pedaling uphill. "This is stupid. This is crazy. Why would anybody want to do this?" was my new mantra.

As long as you're exercizing the way you are, you'll be fine. There's nothing like carrying 30 lbs up 1000' in one mile. Except 4000' in four miles.

garlic08
01-04-2011, 08:33
I think a bicycle should be part of everyone's lifestyle first, fitness program second. I'm an avid cyclist and I believe cycling has done very well to keep me fit for hiking (and everything else for that matter).

If you make the bike a part of your life (cycle to work and all errands) you might be surprised at how fit you'll get. I commuted by bicycle my entire career because it was more fun than driving, and never even conceived at the time that I'd be reaping the benefits for the rest of my life.

It's good to hear about someone getting in shape before going hiking. Good luck on your hike.

swjohnsey
01-04-2011, 09:03
Biking, mountain or otherwise is good cardio if you work hard enough. You gotta get the speed up. I average 16 - 17 mph on pavement on a mountain bike to keep my heartrate in the target zone.

Generally though, it is better to train doing what you plan to do. Running is better, IMHO.

Blissful
01-04-2011, 10:06
The trail will do it for you. My son was a couch potato, did no exercise and completed it. But it doesn't hurt to run some for cardiovascular fitness among many benefits.

Blissful
01-04-2011, 10:14
Another thing with biking - young guy in '07 did biking before his hike and blew out his knee in GA. So watch this as biking is totally different muscle mechanics than hiking with your quads and hams

skinewmexico
01-04-2011, 10:45
I started riding quite a few miles last year and started having some issues when hiking, so I'd say it definitely works a different muscle groups. I'm sure it would be fine if you don't overdo it though.

Snoopy
01-04-2011, 13:25
Biking, mountain or otherwise is good cardio if you work hard enough. You gotta get the speed up. I average 16 - 17 mph on pavement on a mountain bike to keep my heartrate in the target zone.

Generally though, it is better to train doing what you plan to do. Running is better, IMHO.

Thank you.. I don't think that I can get up to 16mph quite yet.. I did bike about 10 years ago and loved the long distance on a Trek hybrid.. I am not a racer by any means and will continue to do what I can.

I am not a runner and don't think my knees could handle the pavement pounding since I spent a few years in the Marines back in the 80's.

erichkopp
01-04-2011, 20:43
Riding a bike definitely uses different muscle groups, but it can still help get you into shape. Maybe try running on some of the trails you hike on to change things up. Dirt (sand down here in Florida) is a lot more forgiving than pavement, and you could keep your pace around a light jog so you're not really pounding your knees.

Praha4
01-04-2011, 21:31
checkout this 5-6 month training program from Outside magazine for a Mr Ranier climb, anyone could adapt this program to your own purposes, including an AT hike. The weekly workout plan is shown in the chart at the link below. This program is designed to help people get in shape to climb Mr Ranier

http://outsideonline.com/fitness/travel-ga-201011-mountaineering-strength-and-power-training-mount-rainier-endurance-training-sidwcmdev_152204.html

it combines cardio, weight training, hiking, hill repeats (which IMO are the best training you can do in Florida for an AT hike).

good luck

Mags
01-04-2011, 22:13
I don't believe in training...just an active lifestyle.

Not only is it good for your health, it is fun.

Yeah, people do the AT coming off right from the couch. But when 75% of people drop off the trail, most of whom are in terrible shape, I don't see the logic in advocating the couch potato lifestyle.

Did I mention the active lifestyle being fun? :)

Press
01-04-2011, 22:21
I often bike several times a week in the spring and summer and fall and I think it helps build up endurance for mountain hiking, probably same as any other aerobic activity. Plus it's just a lot of fun. But as has been said on here before, nothing gets you in shape for hiking like hiking.

Mtn Scout
01-04-2011, 22:26
biking will work muscles that will not be used as much on the trail but will realy work on your cardio. if your serious about the biking i would find a mid length trail that you could do say 3 days a week instead of finding a big trail and doing it 1 day a week. i have found with my training to work a certain group of body parts 3 days a week and other for the other 2 days. this gives time to help recover. anything is better than nothing. i feel that the 2 most things with carrying a load on your back is your legs(mostly knees) and your back. when i first started carrying packs my back would hurt and i later found out it was from weakness. and always always remember pain is weakness leaving the body!!!

hikingshoes
01-05-2011, 14:22
I know when i retired from the Army Res..I didnt do a thing for as working out and i got up to 250lbs.Im 5'11'' and that was killing me.I picked up a bike at wal-mart and started riding.lol,didnt make a 1/2mile,but i didnt it ever day and it got better.List to your body,if it hurts slow down until it is gone or take a rest day(i did).Now,im up to 5-6miles aday-and it is GREAT for cardo.and im hiking/walking 6-8miles a day.Weekends when i hike i like to get 10-12miles in a day.Hang in there you will make it,just take it slow.IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN DO IT!!!!Peace,HS

wvgrinder
01-05-2011, 14:36
Is there a sports stadium nearby that would let you run its bleachers? my brother used to do this while training for marathons. :-?

Old Hiker
01-05-2011, 14:42
Is there a sports stadium nearby that would let you run its bleachers? my brother used to do this while training for marathons. :-?

That's a great idea, but most of the venues won't let you, as they are afraid of liability. I used the public stairs at public parking garages, either at the Brandon Hospital, the Ice Palace downtown or the USF parking garages.

kayak karl
01-05-2011, 14:54
heres a good read for ya http://books.google.com/books?id=2yYSqLOcSzgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=heft+on+wheels&source=bl&ots=-tOFlrh8Uo&sig=ytFTivaKdoXumu79t7H-r1-gk68&hl=en&ei=Ob4kTfy_D4H78AbBk5S3AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Praha4
01-05-2011, 17:20
in my humble opinion, the greatest benefit from training BEFORE the AT hike is injury prevention, unless the prospective thru-hiker is concerned with setting some kind of speed record for the thru hike.

there's a much higher percentage of knee, ankle, foot and back injuries seen with backpackers who just decide one day to leave a sedentary lifestyle, grab a backpack at the local outfitter and hit the trail, thinking they can just hike themselves into shape. One could possibly get away with that if you start out VERY slow, (5-6 miles a day), take frequent zero days, and train yourself with the first month of the hike. That will definitely extend the duration of the AT hike to well over 6 months.

if you are not in shape for hiking mountains with a backpack, expect problems like illotibial band syndrome, plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, sprained ankles or knees, etc... if you try to do 10-15 miles per day immediately with no zero days to recuperate.

good luck

Llama Legs
01-05-2011, 17:25
I vote for packhauling; even around town. Especially 30 days prior to get you use to pack weight. I'd even use your poles for a couple weeks prior.

Chillfactor
01-05-2011, 17:48
Here's the links to some articles I saved and referred to before starting last April. Both are from Backpacker Magazine.
http://www.backpacker.com/october-09-build-a-thru-hiker-body-at-home/skills/13335
http://www.backpacker.com/may_09_hike_forever_ultimate_hiking_workouts/skills/13107

I found the weighted squats to be particularly helpful. Also, the lunges are killer but I was glad I did them.

Snoopy
01-06-2011, 09:38
in my humble opinion, the greatest benefit from training BEFORE the AT hike is injury prevention, unless the prospective thru-hiker is concerned with setting some kind of speed record for the thru hike.

there's a much higher percentage of knee, ankle, foot and back injuries seen with backpackers who just decide one day to leave a sedentary lifestyle, grab a backpack at the local outfitter and hit the trail, thinking they can just hike themselves into shape. One could possibly get away with that if you start out VERY slow, (5-6 miles a day), take frequent zero days, and train yourself with the first month of the hike. That will definitely extend the duration of the AT hike to well over 6 months.

if you are not in shape for hiking mountains with a backpack, expect problems like illotibial band syndrome, plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, sprained ankles or knees, etc... if you try to do 10-15 miles per day immediately with no zero days to recuperate.

good luck

A concern of mine would be my knees that sound like twigs cracking.. In the past few months I have been taking daily doses of liquid Glucosamine/Chondroitin and calcium. along with eating better and running from fast food places.

There are so many good tips in the thread. One I did not realize is different muscle groups are used in biking vs. hiking. Irregardless, I feel any form of exercise is great and certainly safer than just "jumping off the couch" and go climb mountains.

Snoopy
01-06-2011, 09:42
Here's the links to some articles I saved and referred to before starting last April. Both are from Backpacker Magazine.
http://www.backpacker.com/october-09-build-a-thru-hiker-body-at-home/skills/13335
http://www.backpacker.com/may_09_hike_forever_ultimate_hiking_workouts/skills/13107

I found the weighted squats to be particularly helpful. Also, the lunges are killer but I was glad I did them.

Awesome articles!!

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2011, 10:30
I've been cycling for over 20 years as my primary form of transportation, I've also done numerous LD cycling trips. In addition I've done some running and of course LD hiking. And all these activities have given me sore knees. Guess which activity has given me the worst knee pains -- not hiking or running -- cycling. Specifically cycling through the mountains with weight.

So I've come to the conclusion that all this talk about running and impact being bad for the knees is BS. I'm now an avid runner (since 2007) and still cycle about 30 miles per day (average) and I have almost no knee problems and I never take "pain killers".

Why? I credit weightlifting. I used to have "knee problems" (especially my right knee) and was told that surgery was the only fix. Then someone told me about the benefits of weightlifting...long story short, my bad knee is only an occasional bothersome and I'm more active now than when it was a real problem.

BTW, as far as wanting to do a low-impact activity then you may want to consider not hiking -- down hill hiking is high-impact. But I wouldn't worry, like I said it's not the impact it's just a matter of building up the muscles and all the stabilizing stuff of the knees and legs.

P.S. I also have incorporated jumping, both skipping rope and jumping up onto platforms, into my workouts and that is really good workout and keep the knees strong.

Sickmont
01-06-2011, 13:51

Don't be too sure about it being so "flat". I mountain bike here every weekend and all i can say is this:
Alafia state park
(http://www.floridastateparks.org/alafiariver/photogallery.cfm?pagenum=1&viewphoto=3)
and
Balm-Boyette scrub preserve
(http://www.outdoortravels.com/biking_florida_balm_boyette.php):D
These are my two main riding spots. Happy pedaling!

Tucky
01-06-2011, 16:41
Everyone has great points here. IMO, running and walking on a regularly basis has the best benefit. For hiking, cycling training will only benefit cardio and will do little to strengthen knees/ ankles etc. Cycling hills will probably benefit you the most for hiking by strengthening quad muscles.

Sierra Echo
01-06-2011, 16:48
Just don't ride into a tree!

Sickmont
01-06-2011, 17:03
Oops, screwed up my own link......sorry.

http://www.outdoortravels.com/biking...boyette.php (http://www.outdoortravels.com/biking_florida_balm_boyette.php%29:D)

DapperD
01-06-2011, 19:19
I live in Florida and although I can hike miles a day, I need to do more to get in shape for the AT mountains. I'm not in the best shape right now and have never mountain biked but I made it through the Caloosahatchee State Park trail (many hills and roots, etc.) I'm thinking that my continuous walking with a 30lb pack for a few hours and mountain biking once a week will put me in pretty good shape by April.

I would like any thoughts on mountain biking and getting in shape as I bought one and took it out for the first time last weekend. :sunI think it is fantastic that you really want to get into great shape! Hiking is a great way to get into shape and so is mountain biking. I think that by having alternative ways in which to work out you are doing a great service to your ability to continue to stay motivated to become physically fit and to also reap the benefits from not just one training method, but many. They say variety is the spice of life, and it is wise to enjoy different activities instead of only one. Good Luck

Tinker
01-06-2011, 19:31
On a bike, the best way to improve your hill climbing performance (hiking) is to do extended out of the saddle riding in high gears. It strengthens the quads, which are the most (over) used muscles that hikers use. Hamstrings are the opposing muscles in the thigh, and overworking the quads can cause hamstring problems, so hamstring stretches are recommended for hikers and bikers (especially competitive types).
Btw: you can get a similar workout climbing stairs, but unless you work in a multi-level building, stair climbing won't help you get to work ;).

Blissful
01-06-2011, 20:29
, I feel any form of exercise is great and certainly safer than just "jumping off the couch" and go climb mountains.

Esp at our age. That is only for the young. :)

4shot
01-06-2011, 22:18
Snoopy...by chance are the same Snoopy that started at HF's last year? If so, I met you in Pa?NJ?NY? best wishes on your thru-hike this year. I think you will enjoy starting with "the herd" as they say. And if you're not THAT Snoopy, best wishes anyway!:sun

Mags
01-06-2011, 23:31
My favorite non-hiking activity is backcountry skiing. Quite possibly the best all-around outdoor activity in terms of fitness. Core, upper and lower body, balance needed (working all those small muscles seldom used in the process) and cardio. As mentioned in previous threads, when I was skiing all the time last winter when I was funemployed, I was in the best shape of my life.

And, unlike running, it is less damaging on the body in terms of joints and ligaments (not-Alpine skiing..Free those heels!). Well, unless you hit a tree. ;)

Plus it is fun. :D

Mags
01-06-2011, 23:37
Esp at our age. That is only for the young. :)

IT is not just for the young. Just ask the military who is concerned about the video game playing couch potatoes they now have to deal with...:eek:
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/11/military_unfityouths_recruiting_110309w/

hobbs
01-06-2011, 23:49
IT is not just for the young. Just ask the military who is concerned about the video game playing couch potatoes they now have to deal with...:eek:
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/11/military_unfityouths_recruiting_110309w/
Mags it's not just the young video gamers. We use to do a caliper test on people that hit the "Fat Boy club". Gave 30 day's to shed or QMP. Means get their Lazy^*^ out...... But your right active lifestyle regardless of your age is an excellent Idea:D

garbanz
01-07-2011, 00:04
Cross train. Biking up hills is best.

Green
01-07-2011, 19:59
Ive really found that biking is a great cardio workout. Although it uses different muscles than hiking, we climbed some 14ers in colorado last year, and i was able to beat everyone else up in my group (i was the most overweight person) up to the top by a good half an hour. I attribute it to all the cycling i do, really builds up your lung capacity.

End the end, anything you do for exercise is going to help you out as long as you are doing it safely and in control. Cross training is good as well, i would bike and then run for a while afterwards. Friends suggested swimming as well, but id much rather kayak than swim!

DapperD
01-07-2011, 23:13
Ive really found that biking is a great cardio workout. Although it uses different muscles than hiking, we climbed some 14ers in colorado last year, and i was able to beat everyone else up in my group (i was the most overweight person) up to the top by a good half an hour. I attribute it to all the cycling i do, really builds up your lung capacity.

End the end, anything you do for exercise is going to help you out as long as you are doing it safely and in control. Cross training is good as well, i would bike and then run for a while afterwards. Friends suggested swimming as well, but id much rather kayak than swim!It definately is a great cardio workout. I purchased a brand new entry level mountain bike about 2 years ago. Hadn't rode a bicycle in probably 15 years. Starting out on super steep hills was like pure torture. Even though the bike has super low gearing, I just could not make the hills. As time went on I began to notice I became better and better, and eventually could do what I could not do when I first started riding again. So definately mountain biking will help your aerobic conditioning big time. And like you say, your lung and breathing capacity will definately be improved, especially if you begin climbing hills. And in addition to hiking, if you haven't rode a bike in years, it is so much fun to get back out there doing it again. Well worth the money and effort.:sun