PDA

View Full Version : electronic Trail Journalers out there in 2011?

corialice81
01-04-2011, 10:23
My handwriting is painful to read. In MA, I acquired a Peek to reduce the stress of having to trascribe my handwriting. I used a Peek during my 2009 thru and it was a wonderful, convienent, and an affordable way to journal via Trailjournals.com.

Some Info Here: http://www.getpeek.com/

I would like to send my blue peek to the first 11er that PMs me at no cost. You will have to subscribe and the monthly subscription is $10/month.

Personal Experience:

I got it in MA but I had a friend that thrued with it from AFSP, GA. It works with Tmobile so the service was fine except in a few spots in VA and NH. Recharged battery in town and it never died. Kept it on energy saving mode (offline) and I only put it online to send out emails (including my TJ). 7 days longest without recharge. You can connect two email accounts to it allowing you to check email.

By MA, I would type up my TJ, then email it to my transcriber, who uploaded it on to TJ. Worked out really well compared to the begining of my hike when I handwrote it, mailed it, and then had to have it transcribed OR tried to type it myself in town at library. This reduced the hassel in town at the libraries because it was one less thing I had to do. Most libraries' computer usage was timed so I would also rush through my TJs because I thought I would not be able to get all my TJs typed. Also, it kept the TJs more current for my loved ones back home that wanted to know what I was doing/where I was, etc.

It is another piece of equpiment to carry and you do need to carry a wall charger (or bounce it forward) so it will ADD weight to your pack.

It isn't for everyone...

Thinkaboutit....

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 10:36
My handwriting is painful to read. In MA, I acquired a Peek to reduce the stress of having to trascribe my handwriting. I used a Peek during my 2009 thru and it was a wonderful, convienent, and an affordable way to journal via Trailjournals.com.

Some Info Here: http://www.getpeek.com/

I would like to send my blue peek to the first 11er that PMs me at no cost. You will have to subscribe and the monthly subscription is $10/month.

Personal Experience:

I got it in MA but I had a friend that thrued with it from AFSP, GA. It works with Tmobile so the service was fine except in a few spots in VA and NH. Recharged battery in town and it never died. Kept it on energy saving mode (offline) and I only put it online to send out emails (including my TJ). 7 days longest without recharge. You can connect two email accounts to it allowing you to check email.

By MA, I would type up my TJ, then email it to my transcriber, who uploaded it on to TJ. Worked out really well compared to the begining of my hike when I handwrote it, mailed it, and then had to have it transcribed OR tried to type it myself in town at library. This reduced the hassel in town at the libraries because it was one less thing I had to do. Most libraries' computer usage was timed so I would also rush through my TJs because I thought I would not be able to get all my TJs typed. Also, it kept the TJs more current for my loved ones back home that wanted to know what I was doing/where I was, etc.

It is another piece of equpiment to carry and you do need to carry a wall charger (or bounce it forward) so it will ADD weight to your pack.

It isn't for everyone...

Thinkaboutit....

Me...........I'll PM my address

leaftye
01-04-2011, 13:11
I'm sure your intentions are good, but don't mail it yet. I think our old Peek's are useless now. They've been doing some upgrades including an upgrade to the Peek9 for $1 because the old devices weren't going to work. I think... It's a nice device if you get a signal often enough. I'd get a spare battery.

Iceaxe
01-04-2011, 14:06
It's true. The old Peek classic's and pronto's are at the moment.. dead.
I used a pronto to journal my 09 and 10 thru hikes. Just this past October the peek company lost their "middle man" and all the sim cards in Peek devices everywhere became useless.
The company offered a replacement deal. The code is "lemonade" (Not making this up).
The "deal" is that you send them $1 plus $6.95 for shipping and handling and they send you a Peek9 which is the latest version of the device. The new device is identical to the old but contains newer firmware, software, and a sim card that allows direct access to peek's servers.
I have to be honest here. I loved the old peek device but lately the compant has engaged in.. "questionable" buisiness practices.
For instance: They have been double billing some customers since the switchover in OCT. When customers complained the company turned off it's phones, ignored emails, and even shut down it's help forum online citing "negativism".
I have a lot of trail buddies that got into the Peek thing at my urging so i feel kinda stupid now.
Anyhow, I stand by the original product, a simple 5 ounce device that does email only for 9.99 a month flat rate no contract. The great advantage of the Peek was it's ability to store emails for you while you hike so you can read them at your leisure in camp at night etc regardless of signal. Likewise you can write journal entries anytime and then send them out when you finally get a signal.
I actually caught a lot of flak from people thinking i was online all the time while hiking! It only seemed that way cause i would write stuff up in my tent before bed each night and then fire off everything when I got signal the next day. the whole process took seconds.
Anyhow, you can get a Peek 9 using that "Lemonade" code but be ready for some issues with customer service. I think you may need to be the original account holder to get the 7.95 deal.. otherwise you will have to pay full price.
It's a really neat gadget I just wish the company would get their sh$t together.
Personally I decided it is not worth the hassle this time. I am going "unplugged" on the AT.

corialice81
01-05-2011, 09:57
It's true. The old Peek classic's and pronto's are at the moment.. dead.
I used a pronto to journal my 09 and 10 thru hikes. Just this past October the peek company lost their "middle man" and all the sim cards in Peek devices everywhere became useless.
The company offered a replacement deal. The code is "lemonade" (Not making this up).
The "deal" is that you send them $1 plus $6.95 for shipping and handling and they send you a Peek9 which is the latest version of the device. The new device is identical to the old but contains newer firmware, software, and a sim card that allows direct access to peek's servers.
I have to be honest here. I loved the old peek device but lately the compant has engaged in.. "questionable" buisiness practices.
For instance: They have been double billing some customers since the switchover in OCT. When customers complained the company turned off it's phones, ignored emails, and even shut down it's help forum online citing "negativism".
I have a lot of trail buddies that got into the Peek thing at my urging so i feel kinda stupid now.
Anyhow, I stand by the original product, a simple 5 ounce device that does email only for 9.99 a month flat rate no contract. The great advantage of the Peek was it's ability to store emails for you while you hike so you can read them at your leisure in camp at night etc regardless of signal. Likewise you can write journal entries anytime and then send them out when you finally get a signal.
I actually caught a lot of flak from people thinking i was online all the time while hiking! It only seemed that way cause i would write stuff up in my tent before bed each night and then fire off everything when I got signal the next day. the whole process took seconds.
Anyhow, you can get a Peek 9 using that "Lemonade" code but be ready for some issues with customer service. I think you may need to be the original account holder to get the 7.95 deal.. otherwise you will have to pay full price.
It's a really neat gadget I just wish the company would get their sh$t together.
Personally I decided it is not worth the hassle this time. I am going "unplugged" on the AT.

Wow. That sucks! I purchased my Peek in July 09 so is that considered old?

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 14:58
I've had my Peek for years, they recently had a giant fallout with TMobile for some reason and had to get everyone a new updated Peek9. They were upgrading us free. Either way, I love my Peek, plan to use it along my 2011 hike.