PDA

View Full Version : PCT thru in 3.5 months

Walking Thunderbird
01-04-2011, 12:43
I'm considering an attempt at the PCT either in 2012 or 2013, either solo or with one other hiker. I will be in graduate school, so I'm going to try to fit it in during the summer break, which is roughly early May to late August, so figure 3.5 months. I know this is a tight window, but I think it may be possible.

A little background... I did a SOBO thru of the AT in 2009 in 75 days, averaging 29 miles per day. Given this, and the general sentiment that the PCT is easier hiking physically (although more complicated logistically), I'd appreciate some thoughts on how reasonable this is. Would appreciate any insights into whether the seasons would work out ok, leaving SoCal in early May and arriving in Canada late August.

I know that people may think it is outside the range of reasonable mileage, but keep in mind that I hiked the AT at what most people would consider to be such a pace.

Mags
01-04-2011, 12:50
Not hard at all. I did it 4 mos, a friend did in 3.5 months:
http://cwillett.imathas.com/pct/index.html

Colter
01-04-2011, 13:24
I have to admit when I saw your post I thought "Here we go again, where someone contemplates an incredibly fast pace and lots of people jump in to say 'totally doable, go for it!!' with little or no regard for the person's experience or fitness."

As usual, though, Mags is probably right. Doing the AT in 79 days is really fast, well beyond the capabilities of most people. So you've got the physical fitness, the drive, and the thru-hiking experience. That given, a 3 1/2 month PCT hike is likely doable for you.

PCT unsupported record: 65 days
AT unsupported: 61 days

I believe those two figures are accurate. It seems likely they wouldn't be exactly "apples to apples" as to which trail is harder because there are so many more people on the AT.

I think a lot depends on the year you make your hike. I hiked the AT in 4 months and the PCT in 2010 in a big snow year in 5 months.

BrianLe
01-04-2011, 14:22
One thing that the PCT record setters generally have, I think, is prior experience on the PCT. At times it's bound to help if you're already quite familiar with the trail and how to deal with various special situations. But in reading more carefully, you're not aiming at a record here, but more like, what, about a hundred day passage? So perhaps approaching a goal of 30 MPD.

The weather puts tighter schedule limits on the PCT, something that record setters and yo-yo'ers have to deal with. Starting in early May it's possible that you would get to the start of the Sierras at a point where there's just a ton of snow there. I guess if worst came to worst you could leapfrog and then come back to do the Sierras later, but there can also be issues at Fuller Ridge and/or Baden-Powell. As Colter says, depends a lot on the particular year that you hike.

If you have any flexibility at all in your start/end dates (and even if you don't) I suggest that you monitor the snow data on postholer.com to try to get a feel as the start date approaches for how likely you will be to succeed without having to become a real winter trekker.

In any event, I agree that based on what you did on the AT, your goal sounds entirely do-able to me. Best wishes!

Sly
01-04-2011, 15:01
If you start the second or third week of May it may be hot and dry in the beginning but you shouldn't run into too much snow. It depends on the winter/spring storms and where but a Southbound hike may be a better approach.

Keep you eye on postholer (http://postholer.com/postholer/) (looks like you have to register but it's a great resource)

knicksin2010
01-04-2011, 19:02
In 2010, I started May 13 and finished Aug. 30. Several people have done what you're thinking. Yes, it's doable. I think I had a substantially easier time SoCal than those starting at kickoff. And I had better weather in Washington than most. I wasn't racing and didn't have a deadline. I showed up in shape and with a light pack.

If you go backpacking on similar terrain and find 25-mile days enjoyable, than you can ignore the naysayers (and crystal ball predictions about water and snowfall two years in advance.)

garlic08
01-04-2011, 21:04
Ditto all the above. In my experience, you'll increase your long-distance hiking pace on your second long hike, so 30 mpd should be within your reach on the PCT.

I hiked the PCT with a normal pace of just under 20 mpd, and a few years later hiked the AT with a faster-than normal pace of just over 20 mpd. I drew on the earlier experience greatly, listening to my body better, making better gear choices, and making easier work of the logistics. You'll likely do the same. Best of luck.

sbhikes
01-05-2011, 16:02
I am female, overweight, an avid hiker but not a big athelete by any means. At ages 43 and 44 I still managed at least a marathon every day once I got my trail legs. The High Sierra excepted. 30 miles would probably be an easy day for you.

Dogwood
01-05-2011, 20:26
3.5 months or about 105 days to thru the PCT. Doesn't seem hard to me at all, especially considering you're an experienced speedy thru-hiker. Heck, took me 4 1/2 months with aching shinsplints and a very moderate/relaxed/see the sights pace. I ditto much of BrianLe's thoughts about snow level concerns though if you definitely aren't going to leapfrog. Keep an eye out at postholer.com for snow levels as you near those pinch pts/sections as Sly suggests too. Knicksin2010 gives solid advice for a fast thru-hike too - "I showed up in shape and with a light pack." Might want to peruse Skurka's website advice on how to do a fast hike too.

Walking Thunderbird
01-06-2011, 11:47
Thanks for all the encouragement. I get the impression that I'm going to have to carry more weight on the PCT than I did on the AT (I did the AT with a base weight of 10-12 lbs). As far as big things go:
1) I'm going to need a tent. I carried a really lightweight tarp on the AT and mostly relied on shelters, which I understand are rare on the PCT. Does it tend to rain a lot from May-Aug? If not, I don't mind using the tarp a few times, but I'd probably want a tent if I'm going to need a shelter most nights.
2) I'm going to have to carry gear for cooler weather. I hiked the entire AT with a one-pound 40-degree bag, which I'm guessing won't be sufficient for a PCT hike. Also, I'm going to have to bring warmer clothes and probably a full rain suit (on the AT, I had a rain jacket, but otherwise just got wet).
3) Probably going to be carrying more food on average, due to longer distances between resupplies.

Thoughts?

leaftye
01-06-2011, 12:18
As far as Socal goes, you don't need a tent unless you want bug protection. If you want bug protection, a Zpack Hexamid is the perfect solution at about 8 ounces.

No need for a bunch of warm clothes either. Unless you want to take long breaks, you'll stay warm enough with just a wind shirt. A down jacket is nice for longer breaks and when breaking down camp in the morning.

A rain jacket and skirt are more than enough.

This is just for Socal. I've seen some people say they wanted more substantial shelters and rain gear in WA/OR, but I have no personal experience up there.

Colter
01-06-2011, 14:18
Thanks for all the encouragement. I get the impression that I'm going to have to carry more weight on the PCT than I did on the AT (I did the AT with a base weight of 10-12 lbs). As far as big things go:
1) I'm going to need a tent. I carried a really lightweight tarp on the AT and mostly relied on shelters, which I understand are rare on the PCT. Does it tend to rain a lot from May-Aug? If not, I don't mind using the tarp a few times, but I'd probably want a tent if I'm going to need a shelter most nights.
2) I'm going to have to carry gear for cooler weather. I hiked the entire AT with a one-pound 40-degree bag, which I'm guessing won't be sufficient for a PCT hike. Also, I'm going to have to bring warmer clothes and probably a full rain suit (on the AT, I had a rain jacket, but otherwise just got wet).
3) Probably going to be carrying more food on average, due to longer distances between resupplies.

Thoughts?

Personally, I found a shelter that includes bug protection was a good idea at least from Kennedy Meadows.
My base weight was about the same for the AT and the PCT except for the Sierras, where I had a bear canister and ice axe.
Almost no shelters on the PCT, as you said.
You will likely get very little rain in CA, but you never know. It rained hard on day 1 for me in 2010. And day 2.
I carried no rain pants until WA and that was fine. A rain jacket was useful the whole way for rain, laundry wear, warmth, and wind protection
Definitely tends to run colder on the PCT.
Personally, I brought a warm down jacket for the whole trail, and was glad I did. I used it to boost my 30 deg. bag's rating on cold nights. Just one way to do things.
Your average food carries will likely be a bit heavier than the AT.
I had Yogi's guide (http://www.pcthandbook.com/product.php?productListId=1). Although some of the information is getting dated (camera's for example) I found her guide to be extremely useful, as it distills the advice from numerous experienced hikers with good advice on PCT gear, trail towns, food availability, etc. I think the Yogi guides make a good Step One for planning either a PCT or a CDT hike.
Also check out Mags great informational page (http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info) on the PCT.

garlic08
01-06-2011, 15:20

Thoughts?

No need for much more base weight on the PCT in general, except for the bear cannister in the Sierra. If you finish in August, you may hit decent weather in the Cascades--at least no snow. I don't think you need a tent--just bug protection. Some have hiked the entire PCT and pitched a shelter only a handful of times.

A 20F bag would be a good idea, maybe one extra pound, but not any more clothing. I carried and used more clothing on the AT in April than I did anywhere on the PCT.

The heavier food carries will be offset by the better trail and easier grade. There'll be fewer towns to slow you down too--you'll make great time between them.

knicksin2010
01-06-2011, 15:24

Thoughts?

If you stated May 20, averaged 29 miles per hiking day and took two zeros, you would leave Kennedy Meadows on June 15. Conventional but disputed wisdom says it's typically uncomfortable to enter before this date because of snow and stream crossings. From there, if there's still a lot of snow or you go in earlier, your mileage tends to dip and than picks up again where the snow stops.

The biggest weight additions come in the Sierra Nevada (Kennedy Meadows - Sonora Pass). There's a bear canister requirement and you may choose to carry an ice ax and snow traction gear. This is also a section you might want more warmth than you'd likely need on your schedule in SoCal (where it still tends to get cold at night.)

1) You're probably used to a lot of rain on the AT. California is a lot different. Rain is unlikely. Wind was my biggest issue for the first 700 miles, but many hikers don't set up any shelter. So the shelter you chose should keep those things in mind. However, it can rain a lot in the pacific northwest and bugs could be an issue after Kennedy Meadows. I second the Zpack suggestion.

2) Even in SoCal, 40 seems insufficient for most nights. Keep in mind that many parts of the PCT are higher than everything east of the Mississippi River. Getting wet can make nights very uncomfortable in the Sierra and pacific northwest.

3) That depends on what you're resupply strategy was on the AT. Aside from a long roadless stretch after Kennedy Meadow's, there weren't many times I carried more than 3-4 days. The distances are longer but the miles tend to come easier than most places on the AT.

Mags
01-06-2011, 15:27
?

First, thank for the kind words Colter. There is MUCH info about trails out there..but I try to distill it down to the bare essentials for initial planning. Seems to work. :)

Anyway:

My weight was about 12-13 lbs as well (vs. 8-9 currently). I used simple tarp and bug netting, a 20F bag and some basic rain gear. I did use a lined windshirt as my only insulation as I move all day and do not camp much. My sleeping bag is for warmth in camp. I think this strategy applies even more to you! :)

FWIW, here is the gear I used for the PCT (among other trails) (http://www.pmags.com/the-evolving-gear-list-1997-%E2%80%93-2006)

BrianLe
01-06-2011, 15:41
I used a 20F bag for the first 1000 miles, swapped to a 32F bag at Sonora Pass, and that worked great throughout.
No tent for me until the start of the Sierras, a poncho-tarp as rarely needed rain shelter and raingear was just fine.
I think a single-walled tent with some bug protection is the right choice for the PCT. You might get some rain in WA state, but overall it's quite a dry trail. Something like the SMD Wild Oasis might be a good choice if you're not a really tall person --- something quite light but that can handle rain and gives you a bug-free space. Some folks are okay in continuously buggy times with just a headnet, but not me (!).
FWIW, there are exactly three shelters on the PCT, one per state.

Warm clothing: you don't need all THAT much. Even in the Sierras, if you're wise you "walk high and sleep low", i.e., sleep below the snow level unless you enter pretty darned early or have a high snow year perhaps. I had a Montbell Thermawrap jacket throughout, augmented with a thermawrap vest to layer in the Sierras but rarely wore it. If doing it again, I'd go with something like the Montbell EX Light Down Jacket and carry that throughout. Definitely do bring a windshirt, however.

I echo whoever suggested getting Yogi's guide --- a lot of good info there for the money.

Walking Thunderbird
01-06-2011, 16:04
OK, so it's sounding more and more like shelter isn't really an issue, although bugs might be. I didn't really have any major bug problems on the AT, probably because of the time of year I did it (started in Aug in ME, ended in Oct in GA).

I carried the Montbell lightweight down jacket on the AT and never used it, but was glad I had it for precautionary reasons. Other than that, I only carried a light rain jacket, which I would think should double as a wind shirt.

I really like my one pound sleeping bag, although I acknowledge that it's not the warmest thing around. Would it be sufficient if I carried it, along with a liner (which I carried on the AT), a set of warm wool long johns (probably midweight smartwool), and a balaclava, along with the down jacket to sleep in just in case?

knicksin2010
01-06-2011, 16:48
I think you'd have some very uncomfortable nights in the high sierra, even if you camp low, and potentially Washington. But I don't think you'd die of hypothermia. You might test your gear down to the high teens and see how you feel.

Dogwood
01-06-2011, 18:19

Thoughts?

1) I carried an UL Spinnaker tarp the whole way on the PCT. Set it up 3-4 times total. Had to sleep with headnet though in Sierras and parts of Oregon and use bug dope. No problem. Rained two days in 4 1/2 months. PCT is considered a rather dry trail. You're experience may be different though. For someone accustomed to tarping as shelter the PCT is, IMO, an ideal trail to use an UL tarp.

2) For your planned PCT time frame, I'm guessing the cooler weather you speak about is MAINLY going to be encountered in the Sierras and northern WA.

I carried the Montbell lightweight down jacket on the AT and never used it, but was glad I had it for precautionary reasons. Other than that, I only carried a light rain jacket, which I would think should double as a wind shirt.

I carried a Marmot Mica Rain jacket that doubled as my wind shirt the whole way. Glad I did because I needed it at times, not so much for the rain, but for added wind cutting warmth(hood, hand pockets, heat trapping micro bungeed waist and velcroed handcuffs). NEEDED that extra insulation layer in the Sierras and northern WA.

3) Unless you're hiking out doing an intermediate resupply in the Sierras that's probably where you will have your longest and heaviest food haul(between Kennedy Meadows and ?). Don't forget, some of the longer food hauls on the PCT thru-hikers mention are largely not going to materialize for you because your anticipated MPD will be greater than the avg PCTer!

I really like my one pound sleeping bag, although I acknowledge that it's not the warmest thing around. Would it be sufficient if I carried it, along with a liner (which I carried on the AT), a set of warm wool long johns (probably midweight smartwool), and a balaclava, along with the down jacket to sleep in just in case?

I did something similar. I used a 17 0z(long version) 35* WM Highlite w/ a cocoon mummy silk liner(had a few cold nights in SoCal, nights were not consistently that cold though) up to KM and then switched to a warmer bag, WP shoes with better traction, UL gaiters, UL Windstopper gloves, nice merino wool beanie, and an added layer(torso and bottoms) for the Sierras. Switched back out to the lighter kit after I got out of the Sierras and went back to the slightly heavier set-up in northern WA. I hit the Sierras the second wk of June in 2008 and had to hike in snow at times. Since I had already experienced the Sierras several times(I knew the PCT/JMT route) I felt comfortable without the need for ice axe or crampons.

samgriffin4
03-16-2011, 16:58
Godspeed man. Hope to see you out there! Sounds like you will be ridiculously more prepared than me!

Skywalker
03-29-2011, 16:39
The PCT might have been less difficult step-for-step, but it was clearly more difficult to thru-hike than the AT. You absolutely have to thread the needle. The best time to hike in the desert is in March and April. But we do it in May and June. The best time to hike in the High Sierra is August, but we do it in late June. But this is all necessary if you're going to make it three countries--Mexico to Canada. And then there are the uncontrollable things like fires, snowstorms, etc.

It's an epic journey, but worth your very best effort. Good luck

Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

Skywalker
03-29-2011, 16:41
Just checked my records. It took me 168 days and was honestly about my best effort. But I was 49.

Skywalker

ScottP
03-29-2011, 17:44
I'm considering an attempt at the PCT either in 2012 or 2013, either solo or with one other hiker. I will be in graduate school, so I'm going to try to fit it in during the summer break, which is roughly early May to late August, so figure 3.5 months. I know this is a tight window, but I think it may be possible.

A little background... I did a SOBO thru of the AT in 2009 in 75 days, averaging 29 miles per day. Given this, and the general sentiment that the PCT is easier hiking physically (although more complicated logistically), I'd appreciate some thoughts on how reasonable this is. Would appreciate any insights into whether the seasons would work out ok, leaving SoCal in early May and arriving in Canada late August.

I know that people may think it is outside the range of reasonable mileage, but keep in mind that I hiked the AT at what most people would consider to be such a pace.

Should be easy for you unless the year has silly snow. Enjoy.

SassyWindsor
03-29-2011, 19:53
If one is accustom to hiking 25-35 MPD, every day, with good weather, no accidents, then it's possible.

Walking Thunderbird
04-11-2011, 17:35
Going to bump this thread back up. I'm thinking about start dates, and I have a couple in mind:

(1) first half of May -- but worried about hitting snow if I move too quick

(2) early June.

Given the 3.5 month pace, I'd finish (1) in late August and (2) in mid September. Thoughts? Pros/cons of each?

Dogwood
04-11-2011, 20:17
I think the PCT is more a long distance trail of extremes than the AT. Typically, for example, you are hiking in the hot and dry Mojave Desert at elevations close to Sea Level then you climb San Jacinto and Baden-Powell at much higher elevations and possibly encounter snow. I did with my typical start date in early Apr in an Avg snowfall yr. Then you drop back down in elevation. Then you go back up to above 13,000 ft at Forrester Pass in the Sierras once again probably encountering snow with a typical late Mar/early Apr start date. With the increased elev and exposure and the need to carry a bear canister in the Sierras(if you hike legally?) and the greater distances between resupplies you will carry more wt through the Sierras. Once out of the Sierras and into mid/northern Cali you cruise. Lower the wt you carry near about Tuolomne Meadows//Sonora Pass/Bridgeport. Then in Oregon you get some up and down and have a good chance of encountering swarming blood thirsty skeeters which you might have thought you left in the Sierras. You also get a chance to resupply more often in OR if you are willing to visit some of the various camps and lakeside fishing resorts and utilize various possible alternate routes. Once in northern WA you hit the Cascades and have a greater chance of encountering wet colder weather even possibally some snow so the gear wt you carry will probably inch back up.

For SoCal, that's the place to get your trail legs, if you don't already have them when you start, and going UL. The weather is hot with little rain and resupplys every 4-6 days. At your pace you could probably resupply even less often reducing your carrying wt.

So, when you say you think you will need to haul more wt on the PCT it depends on where you are, your hiking rate, the changing hiking conditions, how often you plan on resupplying, etc

IMO, all the elev. changes and consequently weather and hiking changes means there is a greater diversity of extremes on the PCT. Meaning, on the PCT I changed gear more often than on the AT to reflect those extremes. On the AT VT, NH, and Maine were about the same as far as weather and hiking conditions and occurred in succession whereas on the PCT I thought there were greater fluctuations and changing hiking conditions, especially in Cali. On the AT the southern states are largely the same hiking conditions.

What I've described are typical conditions for typical NOBO PCT start dates. Now, you might think about how these hiking conditions might change because of your late start date and faster than typical starting hiking rate.

leaftye
04-11-2011, 22:27
Correction to ^^

You start in the Sonoran Desert, not the Mojave. The Mojave is several hundred miles away. You don't come anywhere close to sea level on the PCT until after San Jacinto. The lowest spot before San Jacinto is about 2000 feet, and that's only for a couple miles with the rest of it averaging around 4000 feet. The part of the trail through the Mojave is closer to 3000 feet.

That part just bugs me, probably because the National Geographic video included those mistakes among their long list of mistakes.

Unfortunately the actual elevation still isn't high enough to avoid the hot weather you'll encounter with a late start date.

knicksin2010
04-12-2011, 06:07
Going to bump this thread back up. I'm thinking about start dates, and I have a couple in mind:

(1) first half of May -- but worried about hitting snow if I move too quick

(2) early June.

Given the 3.5 month pace, I'd finish (1) in late August and (2) in mid September. Thoughts? Pros/cons of each?
Unless there's a drought, if you're planning on reaching Kennedy Meadows (703) in 24 days (or less) than an early June start might not be a bad idea for you. But it could be less than comfortable. If you're planning to go a lot slower than your AT average at the start, than a mid-May plan makes more sense to me. Conditions vary wildly from season to season, and you could adjust your plans based on water/snow. I think you’d have a chance cut a couple of days off your hike time if you started later because your speed allows you to overcome distances between water sources. And if you get up early, you can avoid hiking in a lot of the heat. By the time you would get to KM you’ll have almost caught up to a bulk of the thru’s. YMMV

chasegru
04-12-2011, 14:02
Should be easy for you unless the year has silly snow. Enjoy.

There has been a ridiculous amount of snow on the Cascades this year due to La Nina. Everyone around these parts is expecting a late thaw.

frisbeefreek
04-14-2011, 10:03
This email below was posted on the PCT-L today. They are obviously a month ahead of everyone, but it looks like this year's class will have their hands full.

In 2009 I hiked the PCT in 3.5months, left May 10th, and had caught the pack by Mojave, entering the Sierras June 8th. If you are hiking fast this year, leave late May. My 2cents - Frisbee
I just met the first hiker comming thru section D, on the station fire walk around.
He will post when he gets to hiker heaven, but had some advice about snow.
Blue ridge from wrightwood was impassable.
Mt. Baden powell, was completlty impassable, and extremly dangerous, even with his ice crampons and full mountaineering gear.
The snow level was extremly deep, no trail, no path visible, just tree tops.
Even though he was on top of snow because of crust, conditions were perilous.
With warm up and melting starting, he was sure hikers would be be plunging in to snow deeper then a hiker.
He also mentioned that going around via highway 2, was tough because the highway which is usually melted by now, ahead on labor day opening, was covered in deep snow.
Because of the fire closure, highway may not be cleared this year, because it mat be closed.
This hiker is considered Very Experienced, with the PCT.
Those who are making trail decisions, should keep updated with conditions.
I live about a half mile from section D walk around start, and this year we received more then 6 times the amount of rain/ snow then last year.
We got 12 inches of rain in two weeks.
Not to be a fear monger, but if these are the conditions in section D in southern California, I just cannot imagine what the sierras are going to be like, with locations in the sierras getting a stunning 940 inches of snow this season.
For those of you doing the math, thats 78 feet of snow.
:-)
Mammoth is expected to be open this year for skiing, well into July.
Those folks up north, who are in the know, will be the best advice about snow conditions/safety, and should be listened to very carefully this year.
Their info will be critical this year, and will probably save lives.
On a lighter note, the PCT water cache in section D, at the intersection of Mt. Emma Rd. and Angeles National Forest Hwy, has been set up early, due the early hikers comming thru.
It will be maintained, until nobo season ends.

Canoeman

Section D trail Angel
Juniper Hills

sbhikes
04-14-2011, 10:25
I would wait until the year you intend to go and leave your start date flexible. If it turns out to be another high snow year, start in June. If it's a low snow year, start in mid-May. I have live in So Cal my whole life an in my opinion people worry too much about the heat in the "desert." It's a dry heat. Your sweat will evaporate and cool you, not just cling to you. You can hike light and fast through So Cal if you aren't battling leftover snow and crazy late-spring weather. Good luck and I hope you can achieve this goal!

Dogwood
04-14-2011, 16:39
Um, don't see where I said you start in the Mojave Desert.

OK, my definition of close to Sea Level is of greater measure than yours. I made that comment referring to Sea Level while thinking about most of the entire PCT elevation. BUT, you got me there Leaftye(I always want to spell it Leafeye for some reason). I don't have the benefit of presently having a PCT elev profile in front of me but I do remember dropping below 1000 ft in So Cal in the Mojave Desert.

BUT, let's not miss my main pt! The PCT, especially in So Cal, has some significant elev. changes("bumps") that, especially for MOST thru-hikers going over those "bumps", significantly change hiking conditions.

Thanks for checking me Leaftye!

leaftye
04-14-2011, 18:31
Um, don't see where I said you start in the Mojave Desert.

OK, my definition of close to Sea Level is of greater measure than yours. I made that comment referring to Sea Level while thinking about most of the entire PCT elevation. BUT, you got me there Leaftye(I always want to spell it Leafeye for some reason). I don't have the benefit of presently having a PCT elev profile in front of me but I do remember dropping below 1000 ft in So Cal in the Mojave Desert.

The sentence structure implied that because you said Mojave then San Jacinto.

BUT, let's not miss my main pt! The PCT, especially in So Cal, has some significant elev. changes("bumps") that, especially for MOST thru-hikers going over those "bumps", significantly change hiking conditions.

Thanks for checking me Leaftye!

I'm not sure that elevation is the biggest factor, but it's absolutely true that there is a wide variety of temperatures along the Southern California stretches of the trail. Just in the past couple weeks along the trail in Sections A & B, temperatures have ranged from 12°F to nearly 100°F, snow fell probably along the entire length of the trail, and gusts have exceeded 80 mph...and then people are saying this is a heavy tick year. National Geographic got the EXTREME part right for sure.

Dogwood
04-14-2011, 22:14
I don't know about anyone else but when I'm hiking in HOT 90* + temps low-mid level elevation desert for several days(maybe a couple of weeks) and then climb over 6000 ft over several miles in one day where there is snow, ice, and MUCH COLDER temps I call that some extreme rather sudden hiking condition changes. That's all I'm trying to relate.

Went into HOT low-mid level elev. desert Anza CA where it was 90* at 3400 ft elev and climbed to 10,400 ft at San Jacinto where it was below 40* with snow and strong winds during the same day.

Walking Thunderbird
04-29-2011, 14:51
So I'm actually going back to grad school this fall, which is good and bad for the hiking schedule. Good in that I'll have summers off (mostly), bad in that I'll have set times I have to be at school. So, for 2012, looking at the school calendar, it looks like I have off from about April 25 to Sept. 5. I'd like to take 90-100 of those days and try to do the fast-ish PCT hike referenced above. So, I'm thinking start May 15-20. Thoughts?

Malto
04-29-2011, 20:03
Follow my 100 day attempt leaving May 21st on Postholer, trailname Malto. You will have a blow by blow and it will be an almost identical trip to what you proposing.

fiddlehead
04-29-2011, 20:30
SBHikes is right.
Your starting date needs to be flexible depending on the snow conditions in the Sierra.
If you were going this year, definitely June 1st or later.
Next year? Who knows?
You want to take advantage of the longest days (putting June 21st in the middle would be ideal of course) but, I would never expect to do big miles in the Sierra before the middle of June. (this year, sounds like a month later than normal)
Be flexible.
Hope for a good (low) snow year.
Good luck.

HeatherDarnell
07-06-2011, 19:16
Have you read the PCT journals (can't remember the URL, but google PCTA and find journals, read someone else's) There are definitely long dry stretches in So California. Especially if you are waiting till May to go and if you are not accustomed to heat - it may be VERY hot for you through Anza Borrega and further north. Hot, dry and windy just means extra water. Currently the longest stretch i see is around 32 miles, so whatever amount you need in that day - that could be the main extra weight you'd want to calculate. Some people propose (I haven't yet tried it) that you can mitigate the sun with an umbrella, like Go Lite Chrome Dome which is quite light. I plan to use one. Tho my thru hike will be a couple years after yours, it will start earlier in the seaon, mainly because of that desert! Happy Hiking!!

Bix
07-21-2011, 20:18
Not to invade this thread, but I have a question regarding time. I want to do a thru-hike in 4 months. I need to be done by mid-august, so this would require a mid-april start. That means I'd be getting to the sierras pretty early..are they passable that early or no?

Colter
07-21-2011, 21:09
Not to invade this thread, but I have a question regarding time. I want to do a thru-hike in 4 months. I need to be done by mid-august, so this would require a mid-april start. That means I'd be getting to the sierras pretty early..are they passable that early or no?

The Sierras are always passable to a certain degree, it depends on the skills and ambition of the adventurer and also the current conditions which vary dramatically depending on the season and the year.

Take a look at Trailjournals (http://www.trailjournals.com/journals.cfm?sort=&year=2011&trail=Pacific%20Crest%20Trail) and see how people have progressed in the real world. Granted, it's a snowy year, but so was last year and a lot of years. Four months is a very ambitious pace for most people.

frisbeefreek
07-23-2011, 15:08

Difficulty is totally dependent on snowfall & snowmelt. That isn't generally known until mid-Feb.

2011 had record breaking levels of snow that caused a huge number of people to flip, skip and hitch - Read the journals. If you get to the Sierra's (Kennedy Meadows) June 1st, you will probably be one of the first one there.

2010 was difficult but manageable.

2009 (my year) was at 90% of historical levels and was pretty straight forward. I left Kennedy Meadows on June 8th and had about 80/500 miles of snow walking. I did the hike in 3.5mths with a May 10th departure. If you can hike long days, the miles are pretty easy along the entire trail and you can really crank out distances in a hurry.

stranger
08-01-2011, 00:44

If you managed to average 29 miles per day on the AT I don't think there is much you cannot do in terms of hiking.

Shutterbug
08-01-2011, 10:32

If next year is like this year, the snow pack in Washington could be a problem. The PCT through the Goat Rocks Wilderness and the North Cascades won't be free of snow by the end of August this year. I visited Mt. Rainier National Park last week. Snow levels at 5,500 feet were still such that making 30 miles a day would be difficult.

Here are pictures from last week.

Walking Thunderbird
05-06-2013, 18:24
Thought I'd bump this up. Lots of good advice from a couple years ago. Alas, 2012 and 2013 didn't happen, but I'm planning to do this next year.

Given academic time constraints, I'd like to aim for closer to 80-90 days on this trip, which seems doable. Probably start out in the 25 miles/day range then ease up to around 35-40, which seems feasible given that it's supposed to be easier miles than the AT and I'll have a lot more daylight (my AT thru hike ended in October, so daylight became as issue).

Thinking about starting around June 1, so as to not hit the Sierras too early and also be back to school by Sept 1. Thoughts?

Malto
05-06-2013, 20:16
IMHO if you can't do 30mpd from the start then forget about it. A speed hike is not the place to ease into the mileage, either you are committed and prepared or you're not. Lets put some numbers out there. I did my hike in 98 days. Take off all my zeros and a couple of neros and you have 90 days. Do it in a lower snow year and you can probably pick up 8-10 days. So basically you will have to do about the same daily pace that I did which was 31mpd on full hiking days. But you may say that you can do higher miles later in the hike. I averaged over 33mpd from Sierra City on. So if you just do 25 mpd for the first four days then you would be a full day behind my pace and you add a half mile per day to the next sixty days. (I started with 30,38,33 mile days). Want to take a zero. Add a half mile to the next sixty days. I think you can see where this is heading.

im not saying that a 80-90 day hike is impossible, but it is probably twice as hard to do then a a 3.5 month hike. At a 80 day pace you have to start at full speed and zeros are likely out of the question. Finally don't pick a high snow year. My 98 day pace in 2011 was the fastest northbound by at least ten days. It wasn't a race for me but a had a very defined window to do my hike. 80-90 days in 2011 would have been an extreme challenge.

Walking Thunderbird
05-06-2013, 20:25
IMHO if you can't do 30mpd from the start then forget about it. A speed hike is not the place to ease into the mileage, either you are committed and prepared or you're not. Lets put some numbers out there. I did my hike in 98 days. Take off all my zeros and a couple of neros and you have 90 days. Do it in a lower snow year and you can probably pick up 8-10 days. So basically you will have to do about the same daily pace that I did which was 31mpd on full hiking days. But you may say that you can do higher miles later in the hike. I averaged over 33mpd from Sierra City on. So if you just do 25 mpd for the first four days then you would be a full day behind my pace and you add a half mile per day to the next sixty days. (I started with 30,38,33 mile days). Want to take a zero. Add a half mile to the next sixty days. I think you can see where this is heading.

im not saying that a 80-90 day hike is impossible, but it is probably twice as hard to do then a a 3.5 month hike. At a 80 day pace you have to start at full speed and zeros are likely out of the question. Finally don't pick a high snow year. My 98 day pace in 2011 was the fastest northbound by at least ten days. It wasn't a race for me but a had a very defined window to do my hike. 80-90 days in 2011 would have been an extreme challenge.

I understand the challenges. I started my AT SOBO thru around 25 mpd and averaged 32 south of N.H., taking only one zero (which was unplanned due to tendonitis). I could have done a lot more than that on many days but was slowed down a bit by the days getting shorter.

I don't plan any zeros or neros -- I'm out there to hike. 33 mpd and even more than that seems like a pace that's doable given my past experience. I'd like to start around 30 mpd but may take it a bit easier just to try to lower the probability of injury since it's fairly difficult to train for hiking 200+ miles a week. I did a LOT of walking to get in shape for my AT thru but topped out around 150 miles/week training. I run a lot more now, so I probably don't need as much training time/mileage since running miles are a lot harder on the body than walking miles. How did you get in shape for your hike?

Malto
05-06-2013, 20:49
I understand the challenges. I started my AT SOBO thru around 25 mpd and averaged 32 south of N.H., taking only one zero (which was unplanned due to tendonitis). I could have done a lot more than that on many days but was slowed down a bit by the days getting shorter.

I don't plan any zeros or neros -- I'm out there to hike. 33 mpd and even more than that seems like a pace that's doable given my past experience. I'd like to start around 30 mpd but may take it a bit easier just to try to lower the probability of injury since it's fairly difficult to train for hiking 200+ miles a week. I did a LOT of walking to get in shape for my AT thru but topped out around 150 miles/week training. I run a lot more now, so I probably don't need as much training time/mileage since running miles are a lot harder on the body than walking miles. How did you get in shape for your hike?

See http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=c9cffd1a1623ccf04cf1ce3a1dadbe e6&entry_id=20018

this will give you an idea of the pre hike training. The only thing I would do different is the training hikes I do today. Few miles on Friday, 40-45 miles and Saturday and mid 20s on Sunday. Takes a bit more time but this is probably better than the single long day hike because you have the challenge on Saturday and an shorter day on tired legs on Sunday. Prior to the PCT I didn't have quite as much time as I do today so it need consolidating. The beauty was that I lived 50 miles from Springer so I had the Georgia AT to get me in shape.

the other thing to consider is your window. Hopefully you have June 1st to mid August. That would be the ideal window in most cases, snow taper down in Sierra and with luck melt out in the PNW. Any earlier and you could outpace the snow melt. Check out Swami's triple crown journal to see that in action. He did a 80? Day PCT hike but he is also a freak of nature.

Malto
05-06-2013, 20:53
By the way, if anyone has the experience to give this a go it is you. I tend to be very blunt and I didn't want it to come across differently.

Walking Thunderbird
05-06-2013, 22:23
See http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=c9cffd1a1623ccf04cf1ce3a1dadbe e6&entry_id=20018

this will give you an idea of the pre hike training. The only thing I would do different is the training hikes I do today. Few miles on Friday, 40-45 miles and Saturday and mid 20s on Sunday. Takes a bit more time but this is probably better than the single long day hike because you have the challenge on Saturday and an shorter day on tired legs on Sunday. Prior to the PCT I didn't have quite as much time as I do today so it need consolidating. The beauty was that I lived 50 miles from Springer so I had the Georgia AT to get me in shape.

the other thing to consider is your window. Hopefully you have June 1st to mid August. That would be the ideal window in most cases, snow taper down in Sierra and with luck melt out in the PNW. Any earlier and you could outpace the snow melt. Check out Swami's triple crown journal to see that in action. He did a 80? Day PCT hike but he is also a freak of nature.

No offense taken. I'm probably going to run a marathon 6-8 weeks before that, so easing from that into 30-40 mile weekend hikes shouldn't be any issue. The daily mileage won't be an issue for me -- I'm a bit more worried about injuries from starting out into repetitive long days (I had to take a day off in the Whites during my AT hike due to tendonitis, which wasn't fun). Were you just doing the long weekend miles, or doing a bunch of miles all week? I started the AT after training up to 150 a week with a 30-mile long day. What kinds of weekly mileage were you training at?

Malto
05-07-2013, 07:30
In between the long weekend hikes I was doing something nearly every day. Typically it was a very intense treadmill and/elliptical workout. The miles were easy at the beginning of the PCT. The one watch out is blisters. The very fine dust on the trail will tear your feet up. I never had blisters on AT hikes but I relearned this lesson in the first few days.

as far as repetitive injuries. I believe you can expect to do 2/3rds of your single day mileage as your starting average. If the goal is to do 30mpd from the start then I believe you need to be able to do 45 miles on a day hike with comparable elevation gain. The extra 50% covers getting your body ready for the repetitive and multiday nature of a thru.