PDA

View Full Version : Transportation out of Hanover

Speer Carrier
01-04-2011, 13:40
I'll be finishing up a section hike this summer in Hanover, NH. I'd like to rent a car to travel home. Are there car rental companies in Hanover? Or a nearby town that can be easily accessed out of Hanover where a car can be rented?

Blissful
01-04-2011, 14:06
I'd think your best bet it to take the bus to White River Junction, VT and rent a car from there. Its a much bigger town. But I'll defer to others

kayak karl
01-04-2011, 14:15
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=hanover+nh+car+rental&fb=1&gl=us&hq=car+rental&hnear=Hanover,+NH&ei=hmMjTYCYD8H78AbToJnZDQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CA8QtgMwAw&iwloc=11251792939586512039

there is also Amtrak to Atlanta

10-K
01-04-2011, 14:29
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=hanover+nh+car+rental&fb=1&gl=us&hq=car+rental&hnear=Hanover,+NH&ei=hmMjTYCYD8H78AbToJnZDQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CA8QtgMwAw&iwloc=11251792939586512039

there is also Amtrak to Atlanta

Probably about as cheap as renting a car and gas too.

I took Amtrak from NC to NY last May and really enjoyed the hasslelessness of it all. Got there in the same amount of time it would have taken to drive too.

Jack Tarlin
01-04-2011, 16:26
Speaking as local, yes, there's fairly regular bus service here in Hanover, including 2 Hour Express non-stop to Boston, and while I've frequently used AMTRAK out of nearby White River Junction VT, the problem is that there are very few trains leaving there each day, nor do they necessarily take one where one needs to go, as there are many many destinations not served by passenger rail.

Blissfull is correct about car rentals and White River; there are at least three or four places there, with Enterprise probably being the busiest. Also, file away THIS number, (603) 643-8294, which is Big Yellow Taxi, the best local cab service which can get you to White River or elsewhere 24/7. (There's a local bus service that connects Hanover and White River; Google "Advanced Transit" for details and check out their Orange and Green bus routes, but these infortunately don't operate every day of the week nor do they run into the evenings. If you do decide to use Advanced Transit, you can find current schedules and bus stop locations by asking in the Hanover Inn or at the Dartmouth Bookstore.

peakbagger
01-04-2011, 17:54
White river junction also has a small airport nearyb in Lebanon NH which may have rentals.

XCskiNYC
01-04-2011, 22:15
This site will list the nearest car rental outlets and give you the prices. It looks like the closest are Lebanon, NH and White River Junction, VT, both just a few miles from Hanover.

http://www.kayak.com/cars

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2011, 01:17
You'd be looking at about $150 per day or $625 per week without gas and tolls (add another $200 or so) for a one way rental car from West Lebanon to Atlanta thru Avis, and I think they are the cheapest from here. Add .30 per mile for anything over allowable miles if there's a limit.

Much cheaper to fly or take the train.
You can take a bus for $27 from Hanover to Manchester and get a flight to Atlanta for $120.

But, your choice.

Speer Carrier
01-05-2011, 07:21
Thanks to all who replied. You've given me a bunch of options including train and plane. And, it looks like all are reasonably easy to access from Hanover. I knew I could count on whiteblazers to supply the most useful information.

10-K
01-05-2011, 07:32
You'd be looking at about $150 per day or $625 per week without gas and tolls (add another $200 or so) for a one way rental car from West Lebanon to Atlanta thru Avis, and I think they are the cheapest from here. Add .30 per mile for anything over allowable miles if there's a limit.

Much cheaper to fly or take the train.
You can take a bus for $27 from Hanover to Manchester and get a flight to Atlanta for $120.

But, your choice.

If you don't care about going in style you can rent a small uhaul truck much cheaper than a car and it's easy to do one way.