PDA

View Full Version : A Kindle on the trail?

Lemni Skate
01-04-2011, 13:48
Has anyone tried this? My wife got one for Christmas and I love it. I like to take a book with me when I backpack and I thought this would be perfect. About 6 ounces and you can carry 1000's of books with you (or you can just download new books when you're on the trail). The battery is supposed to last a month if you keep the wi-fi off. I'm not much on electronic devices on the trail, but along with my watch this might be a second one I take when I finally do a thru. I just would make sure I didn't upload a newspaper because one reason to get on the trail for me is to get away from the news.

ashleigh22
01-04-2011, 13:52
Check out this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57744

Helios
01-04-2011, 13:52
I've taken mine on a few multi-day hikes, and am taking again this Fri-Sun on the AT in MD. There are water-proof cases for these, if that's a concern of yours.

Nothing I enjoy more than to bundle up and read in peace and quiet.

Sugarfoot
01-05-2011, 13:54
I have both the Kindle reader and the Nook reader downloaded on my BlackBerry. I replace the standard battery with an extended life battery and always have the antenna off unless I'm using the phone/e-mails. It also does MP3s. Weighs a lot less than a Kindle or Nook, especially if you are going to carry a cell phone anyway.

Reid
01-05-2011, 14:35
I take my psp all the time.

OldFeet
01-05-2011, 16:02
I've taken my Kndle on two week long section hikes and love having it. The battery has lasted me a month with the wi-fi off and that's a month with a lot of reading so I definitely recommend it.

max patch
01-05-2011, 16:09
I have both the Kindle reader and the Nook reader downloaded on my BlackBerry.

Glad that works for you but I read waaay too much to ever want to read a book on my blackberry.

JaxHiker
01-05-2011, 20:36
Glad that works for you but I read waaay too much to ever want to read a book on my blackberry.

I agree. The Blackberry is waaaay too tiny. However, I will be taking my iPod Touch with me this weekend on a little workup hike. I figure it's a little bigger screen plus it gives me music as well. Of course the BB does too, so I guess I'm just gaining a larger screen w/o risking my new Kindle. :)

Grinder
01-06-2011, 08:44
I've had an AZTAK ereader for the last two years. They are no longer available because the competition lowered prices drastically (because Kindle and Nook subsidize sale price and lock you into their purchased books. Same as cheap cell phones with two year contract)

Mine doesn't have wireless, but no problem for me, since you can load more than enough books when staying in a Hostel (Most of which have a "house computer available)

It also plays MP3s, although I've not used that feature.

+1 on battery life. Although you need a head lamp to read at night. An illuminated screen would drastically reduce battery life.

JaxHiker
01-06-2011, 14:53
I've had an AZTAK ereader for the last two years. They are no longer available because the competition lowered prices drastically (because Kindle and Nook subsidize sale price and lock you into their purchased books. Same as cheap cell phones with two year contract)

:-? How, exactly, do they do that? I have more books on my Kindle that weren't bought through Amazon than those that were. I even have the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion on it. That didn't come from Amazon. So I don't see how you're "locked in" to their books.

Chillfactor
01-06-2011, 14:54
I transferred books on CD to my IPod. I listened to them at night in my tent and occasionally while walking. I charged it in town and the charger fit in my camera case. That was my only luxury.
I always thought I'd be too tired at the end of the day to read and didn't want to carry a book.
Everyone's different.

Wil
01-06-2011, 15:42
Kindle ... lock you into their purchased books. Same as cheap cell phones with two year contractNo. Kindle reads books from a variety of sources, including free books from Amazon and elsewhere and there is no contract.

Grinder
01-06-2011, 16:46
I read the following: one way is the wireless link can only connect to Amazon. It is true Amazon has some free books. I guess you can load anything from you main computer (like I do with my E-Book.)

Another way is by not supporting all the formats. I have no details on what is included in their software.

I'm not trying to dis the Kindle, just make people aware of possible limitations.

ryan850
02-02-2011, 22:10
Regarding waterproofing the kindle... The Kindle 3 fits into a quart sized zip-loc. You could slip something like a thin piece of plastic or corrugated cardboard to protect the screen. I also wrap it in my extra clothing. At 8 ounces and a month long battery life, it's perfect for backpacking.

TheChop
02-02-2011, 22:52
I read the following: one way is the wireless link can only connect to Amazon. It is true Amazon has some free books. I guess you can load anything from you main computer (like I do with my E-Book.)

Another way is by not supporting all the formats. I have no details on what is included in their software.

I'm not trying to dis the Kindle, just make people aware of possible limitations.

The limitations are actually quite small. I have Calibre downloaded on my computer and it can crunch PDFs, Epubs, etc. and convert them into mobi which the Kindle reads. It's nothing worse than what people experience with iTunes and their iPods.

I broke my Kindle's screen on a hike recently. I'm getting a better case for it and hoping that takes care of the issue. I believe I more or less did a push up off of it when it was on the floor of my tent but it could have cracked in my pack I'm not entirely sure. Either way I called up Amazon and told them it was cracked and they sent another one overnight. I didn't mention hiking but I told them I think I cracked it at some point but I wasn't sure. Awesome customer service there.

SunnyWalker
02-10-2011, 00:04
Sony eBook Reader.

Bucherm
02-10-2011, 00:35
:-? How, exactly, do they do that? I have more books on my Kindle that weren't bought through Amazon than those that were. I even have the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion on it. That didn't come from Amazon. So I don't see how you're "locked in" to their books.

People assume that "marginally more difficult to acquire=locked in".

Not that this is something I would ever advocate, but I have several PDFs of books/material loaded onto my Kindle, in addition to stuff I bought straight from Amazon. The Kindle is an awesome tool.

While I *have* used the Kindle application on my phone before, the Kindle itself is a superior reading device, much longer battery...and of course free 3G data.

dragoro
02-10-2011, 00:37
I didn't bring mine last year and definitely regretted it. Definitely coming with me this year.

JaxHiker
02-10-2011, 10:56
Not that this is something I would ever advocate, but I have several PDFs of books/material loaded onto my Kindle
Why don't you advocate this?

Fiddleback
02-11-2011, 12:45
The Kindle, especially the smaller one, should be a joy on the trail. My Lady just got one and I can see the potential. As for myself, I've been into Audible Books and especially dramatized short stories from old radio shows played on my Touch (and other mp3 players). The radio shows and much more are provided by free podcasts, thru iTunes and elsewhere.

It may work for you guys in the civilized East but there's no way we'll be downloading books 'on the trail' out here...I'd be really surprised if the 3G service reached any of our trails...:eek: But it'd be a nice, welcome surprise.:sun

FB

dragoro
02-11-2011, 12:47
Don't need to download on the trail. Can do so before you leave for trail. I have over 300 books on mine and it's not even close to half full.

vamelungeon
02-11-2011, 13:14
I read the following: one way is the wireless link can only connect to Amazon.
Not true either. The Kindle even has a somewhat clunky browser built in.

I think you may have some mistaken impressions about the Kindle.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-11-2011, 13:25
Regarding waterproofing the kindle... The Kindle 3 fits into a quart sized zip-loc. You could slip something like a thin piece of plastic or corrugated cardboard to protect the screen. I also wrap it in my extra clothing. At 8 ounces and a month long battery life, it's perfect for backpacking.

OMG! If one of those gram counting (much more so ounce counters) ultra lighters reads that you're in deep dookie...:D I say carry whatever you want to though..HYOH

TheChop
02-11-2011, 15:00
OMG! If one of those gram counting (much more so ounce counters) ultra lighters reads that you're in deep dookie...:D I say carry whatever you want to though..HYOH

You have to carry a charger as well! I figure for the weight of the guide that's on it and the weight of the book I would be carrying I am coming in ahead on the weight department.

JaxHiker
02-11-2011, 15:13
You have to carry a charger as well!
Why? My Kindle lasts about a month with the WiFi and 3G turned off. Surely you won't be on the trail that long.

The Kindle, especially the smaller one, should be a joy on the trail. My Lady just got one and I can see the potential. As for myself, I've been into Audible Books and especially dramatized short stories from old radio shows played on my Touch (and other mp3 players). The radio shows and much more are provided by free podcasts, thru iTunes and elsewhere.
FB

Since you have the Touch I'd suggest using the Kindle app on that and leaving the Kindle at home. You get music, books, games, and more in a single device. I also use Stanza for books that I haven't bought through the Kindle store. It's always better to have multiple uses for our stuff right? :)

Turtle Feet
02-11-2011, 15:30
I transferred books on CD to my IPod. I listened to them at night in my tent and occasionally while walking. I charged it in town and the charger fit in my camera case. That was my only luxury.
I always thought I'd be too tired at the end of the day to read and didn't want to carry a book.
Everyone's different.

I'm also bringing my ipod touch. I've been downloading FREE (love that word!) library books to it using Overdrive Media. If you have a library card, go to your library's website, they'll have instructions on how to download free audio books.

Love my Kindle, but too much - wouldn't want to damage it on the trail. I'm bringing my ipod for music, figured I could listen to books too.

tf

dragoro
02-11-2011, 15:59
I have an iPad as well so if my damage my kindle, it won't be the worst loss in the world. But yeah, if I only had a kindle, I'd be nervous bout bringing it on the trail. As it is, I'll be using my m edge case, so it should be ok.

Fiddleback
02-12-2011, 11:37
Since you have the Touch I'd suggest using the Kindle app on that and leaving the Kindle at home. You get music, books, games, and more in a single device. I also use Stanza for books that I haven't bought through the Kindle store. It's always better to have multiple uses for our stuff right? :)

Yup! The Kindle belongs to My Lady...I have no intention (yet) of getting one. I have two or three ebook apps on the Touch but for me att 'listening' to books and stories is preferable to reading. Trouble is, I don't stay awake very long...:D

FB

Bucherm
02-13-2011, 16:13
You have to carry a charger as well! I figure for the weight of the guide that's on it and the weight of the book I would be carrying I am coming in ahead on the weight department.

I carry mine in a ziploc bag with a leather jacket. :D

I am a terrible ULer.

Why don't you advocate this?

A lot of times when books make their way to PDF format it was through, shall we say, less than legitimate means. So you will not see me telling people to get ahold of PDF copies of books that are still trademarked or copyrighted.

All that said, if you're a big Sci-fi fan Baen has a huge library of free books available for download in HTML, which the Kindle will read.

icemanat95
02-14-2011, 17:34
Too many electronics. Though I would bring an iPod stuffed with audiobooks. With the iPod touch's wireless capability, you could also download new audiobooks along the way. Much lighter and easier than carrying around a kindle, also less likely to bother other shelter dwellers.

When I hiked in 1995, cell phones and walkmen were rare sightings on the trail, forget GPS units, blackberrys, MP3 players, etc. I go out to get away from the world, not drag it with me into the woods.

dragoro
02-14-2011, 18:00
How's a kindle going to bother shelter dwellers?

And my iPod weights more then my kindle.

Bucherm
02-14-2011, 23:37
Too many electronics. Though I would bring an iPod stuffed with audiobooks. With the iPod touch's wireless capability, you could also download new audiobooks along the way. Much lighter and easier than carrying around a kindle, also less likely to bother other shelter dwellers.

How do you figure? A ipod Touch has a bright LCD screen and a Kindle uses an E-Ink persistant screen that operates on light reflecting off of it...you know, like a paper book.

Kindle also has free 3G data, much longer battery life, and yes it can play auio books and MP3s, although why you would want to listen to music in the woods is beyond me.

Fiddleback
02-15-2011, 10:24
'Free' 3G that costs $50 up front...

FB

dragoro
02-15-2011, 10:45
'Free' 3G that costs $50 up front...

FB

It doesn't cost anything up front. I don't know where ya got that from. If ya mean cause it costs more than the wifi version, of course it does. It's added technology, they ain't going to throw that in for free.

Ender
02-15-2011, 10:52
For those that own the Kindle... how is the web browser? I've heard the Kindle 3 has a half decent browser, and it's not a bad way to check email (gmail, yahoo mail, etc). But I'd like to hear about it from people who have actually used it.

dragoro
02-15-2011, 11:40
I have the kindle 2, it's browser is alright to just check email or simple browsing, but not something I'd want to use for just surfing if you know what I mean. I can't speak for the kindle 3 cause I don't have one.

Sly
02-15-2011, 11:47
Kindle also has free 3G data, much longer battery life, and yes it can play auio books and MP3s, although why you would want to listen to music in the woods is beyond me.

Ummm... music is escape, and so is reading.

dragoro
02-15-2011, 11:52
As long as it don't interfer with other people, I could care less what people do, even if it's jamming to slayer while walking out in the middle of the wilderness.

icemanat95
02-15-2011, 14:48
How do you figure? A ipod Touch has a bright LCD screen and a Kindle uses an E-Ink persistant screen that operates on light reflecting off of it...you know, like a paper book.

Because once you start the audiobook or music playing, you turn off the screen and stow the contraption away. The earbuds play into YOUR ears alone and off you drift. I wouldn't try reading on the iPod.

I honestly have no idea how bright the kindle screen is after sundown in a darkened shelter, but I would imagine it might be quite bright.

The size and weight of the kindle is several times that of the iPod Touch, and that's bound to be a consideration.

dragoro
02-15-2011, 15:33
Geez you should know what your talking about before posting. Kindles are not back lit. They produce no light what so ever.

dragoro
02-15-2011, 15:34
Also, unless ear buds are turned down to almost nothing, people next to you can hear them.

Bucherm
02-16-2011, 01:29
Ummm... music is escape, and so is reading.

You do know that the Kindle can play MP3s, right?

And like I said, it baffles the **** out of me that people go off into the woods to listen to music while hiking. If you need music to move, just stay home and run on the eliptical machine.

Because once you start the audiobook or music playing, you turn off the screen and stow the contraption away. The earbuds play into YOUR ears alone and off you drift. I wouldn't try reading on the iPod.

Like Dragoro said, unless the earbuds are turned down to almost nothing(or you are NOT staying in a shelter, but a tent) people are going to hear it.

I honestly have no idea how bright the kindle screen is after sundown in a darkened shelter, but I would imagine it might be quite bright.

It isn't bright at all because it doesn't generate light.

The size and weight of the kindle is several times that of the iPod Touch, and that's bound to be a consideration.

Yes, 8oz is a terrifying weight.

TheChop
02-16-2011, 01:34
Geez you should know what your talking about before posting. Kindles are not back lit. They produce no light what so ever.

I find that the people that are the most vocal against "technology" on the trail are normally the same people who have a total lack of understanding of that technology.

Bucherm
02-16-2011, 04:01
I find that the people that are the most vocal against "technology" on the trail are normally the same people who have a total lack of understanding of that technology.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/pierce/abe_simpson.png

"Like the time I took the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones."

leaftye
02-16-2011, 04:33
Also, unless ear buds are turned down to almost nothing, people next to you can hear them.

That depends on the ambient noise levels. The risk of this can be greatly reduced by using canal earbuds. Those reduce ambient noise levels for the wearer by ~20 dB, which allows the volume to be reduced by 3X and making it much less likely that other people will be able to hear them.

JaxHiker
02-16-2011, 10:18
For those that own the Kindle... how is the web browser? I've heard the Kindle 3 has a half decent browser, and it's not a bad way to check email (gmail, yahoo mail, etc). But I'd like to hear about it from people who have actually used it.

I find it kind of clunky to use. You have to move a navigation box around the screen, select the area you're interested in, and zoom in. I also find it cumbersome trying to move around and select links. I guess it works but I wouldn't want to use it long-term.

PeterB
02-16-2011, 10:27
And like I said, it baffles the **** out of me that people go off into the woods to listen to music while hiking. If you need music to move, just stay home and run on the eliptical machine.

It baffles the **** out of me that people go off into the woods and read electronic books after hiking. You should be enjoying nature, listening to the birds, having wonderful discussions about gear, sharing stories. I want to get away from all technology - your use of electronics devices offends me. If you need a book to keep yourself busy, just stay home on the couch and read a book about hiking. :D

The point is HYOH - you are going to do something that someone else doesn't like and someone else is going to do something you don't like. Life is a lot easier if you don't preach about the right way to hike.

leaftye
02-16-2011, 10:34
It baffles the **** out of me that people go off into the woods and read electronic books after hiking. You should be enjoying nature, listening to the birds, having wonderful discussions about gear, sharing stories. I want to get away from all technology - your use of electronics devices offends me. If you need a book to keep yourself busy, just stay home on the couch and read a book about hiking. :D

I can totally understand it. I don't like to camp around most people. I also like to hike early in the season. Night are loooong. There's not much to see, and I listen to birds while reading. I haven't really brought a Kindle though. I might someday. If they improve resolution, make it smaller, lighter and with greater battery life, I may get one for hiking...I'd be willing to give up some compactness if it uses AA batteries, and I'd be much more likely to buy one.

icemanat95
02-16-2011, 10:52
You do know that the Kindle can play MP3s, right?

Like Dragoro said, unless the earbuds are turned down to almost nothing(or you are NOT staying in a shelter, but a tent) people are going to hear it.

It isn't bright at all because it doesn't generate light.

Yes, 8oz is a terrifying weight.

By the way some folks around here talk about shaving ounces, yeah that is a terrifying weight.

So it isn't possible to read using a kindle in the dark then?

Ender
02-16-2011, 10:53
I find it kind of clunky to use. You have to move a navigation box around the screen, select the area you're interested in, and zoom in. I also find it cumbersome trying to move around and select links. I guess it works but I wouldn't want to use it long-term.

Cool. Thanks. I'm considering getting one for when I travel (as well as for maybe hiking), so I don't have to also drag along a laptop to check my email.

dragoro
02-16-2011, 11:10
By the way some folks around here talk about shaving ounces, yeah that is a terrifying weight.

Just like a book, you need to use a light.

dragoro
02-16-2011, 11:16
If 8oz is going to make or break your hike, you have bigger problems to worry about, especially since most paper backs weight more then that.

Bucherm
02-17-2011, 01:31
Life is a lot easier if you don't preach about the right way to hike.

Yeah, well, I didn't start it. :D

Bucherm
02-17-2011, 01:35

Not really, the Kindle(and virtually all dedicated E-readers) set out to create screens that won't strain the eyes like computer screens, and the best way for that was to replicate a book page as much as possible.

JaxHiker
02-17-2011, 10:04
Cool. Thanks. I'm considering getting one for when I travel (as well as for maybe hiking), so I don't have to also drag along a laptop to check my email.

I haven't tried that. I'll play around with Gmail and report back.

Fiddleback
02-17-2011, 11:25
It doesn't cost anything up front. I don't know where ya got that from. If ya mean cause it costs more than the wifi version, of course it does. It's added technology, they ain't going to throw that in for free.

That's right. Fifty bucks added cost for the free 3G. Per Amazon's site, "Amazon provides wireless connectivity free of charge to you for certain content shopping and downloading services on your Device." However, it's generally considered that the WhisperNet wireless delivery service is included in the price of the Kindle books and I believe in the added cost of the device itself. In addition, publishers of newspapers and magazines delivered by Kindle pay a 3G 'delivery' cost of x-amount per MB. Kindle users receiving such periodicals will also pay an extra fee if they are outside the U.S.. Further, by the user agreement, Amazon may charge extra fees for using the wireless connectivity to make "other services available to you"...read; stuff from outside the Kindle store. But, as with most; user agreements, fees, etc, can all change at any time.

I realize this isn't what was intended when stating that the 3G is free. And indeed, Amazon themselves refers to 'free 3G' and states openly that Amazon pays for the connectivity and 'you won't see a bill.' But rest assured everyone pays; the publisher, the customer, and maybe even Amazon itself (or some combination of the three) pays for 3G download just as transportation costs are built into print books.

Robert Heinlein taught us, "TANSTAAFL". Sprint, or whoever is providing the Wispernet download most certainly agrees.

FB

Ender
02-17-2011, 11:32
I haven't tried that. I'll play around with Gmail and report back.

Cool, thanks.

dragoro
02-17-2011, 11:44
That's right. Fifty bucks added cost for the free 3G. Per Amazon's site, "Amazon provides wireless connectivity free of charge to you for certain content shopping and downloading services on your Device." However, it's generally considered that the WhisperNet wireless delivery service is included in the price of the Kindle books and I believe in the added cost of the device itself. In addition, publishers of newspapers and magazines delivered by Kindle pay a 3G 'delivery' cost of x-amount per MB. Kindle users receiving such periodicals will also pay an extra fee if they are outside the U.S.. Further, by the user agreement, Amazon may charge extra fees for using the wireless connectivity to make "other services available to you"...read; stuff from outside the Kindle store. But, as with most; user agreements, fees, etc, can all change at any time.

I realize this isn't what was intended when stating that the 3G is free. And indeed, Amazon themselves refers to 'free 3G' and states openly that Amazon pays for the connectivity and 'you won't see a bill.' But rest assured everyone pays; the publisher, the customer, and maybe even Amazon itself (or some combination of the three) pays for 3G download just as transportation costs are built into print books.

Robert Heinlein taught us, "TANSTAAFL". Sprint, or whoever is providing the Wispernet download most certainly agrees.

FB

The 50 bucks is for the added components, not the 3G service. I think you understand that but just want to cry foul where there's no foul anyway.

Ender
02-17-2011, 12:19
The 50 bucks is for the added components, not the 3G service. I think you understand that but just want to cry foul where there's no foul anyway.

Since the components are specifically for the 3G service, I'm not sure I understand your argument.

dragoro
02-17-2011, 13:47
The 50 is paying for the components, not a charge for using the 3G service.

Gray_Ghost
02-17-2011, 20:05
The links on this site work great on the Kindle. You want to be sure to use the mobile sites for weather, gmail, yahoo mail, etc

http://webonyourcell.com/

Bear Cables
02-17-2011, 20:34
Taking my Kindle for sure. It doesn't weigh any more than a paper back that I always pack and that includes the padded jacket in a ziplock.

icemanat95
02-17-2011, 21:02
Not really, the Kindle(and virtually all dedicated E-readers) set out to create screens that won't strain the eyes like computer screens, and the best way for that was to replicate a book page as much as possible.

Then it doesn't seem like the best option for reading in shelters at night.

I'm just not a big fan of carrying too much tech with me out hiking. Even an MP3 player is pushing it for me. I did carry books on the trail and I read them at night with my headlamp...probably not the most considerate thing in the world, but there weren't a lot of alternatives then.

To each his own I suppose.

dragoro
02-17-2011, 21:18
I won't be bothering anyone with my kindle, i always tent.

LDog
02-17-2011, 22:38
Life is a lot easier if you don't preach about the right way to hike.

Can I steal this for my sig line?

Bucherm
02-17-2011, 23:49
Then it doesn't seem like the best option for reading in shelters at night.

As good as all the others, and better than most. If you use a Dead Tree book you'll have to use a light anyway(and it'll be ehavier than the Kindle), and if you use a Ipod Touch/iPhone you'll be generating light and fighting eyestrain.