PDA

View Full Version : Trek...

Yukon
01-04-2011, 14:06
Trek has started the last few years on January 1st, anyone heard about this year's hike?

Blissful
01-04-2011, 14:08
He was at Neel Gap a few days ago.

Yukon
01-04-2011, 14:13
He was at Neel Gap a few days ago.

I guess he is on his way then! :)

Yukon
01-04-2011, 14:20
This year will make #9 for him, in a row. Pretty impressive...

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 14:21
This year will make #9 for him, in a row. Pretty impressive...

all it takes is the time, money and no other life. :cool:

Yukon
01-04-2011, 14:25

I met him a couple times in Vermont, he is a cool guy. He said he will keep doing it until his body won't let him anymore. He is retired Army and just wants to hike the trail every year which is cool with me, to each his own. Doing it that many years in a row has to take a toll on the joints...

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 14:29
I met him a couple times in Vermont, he is a cool guy. He said he will keep doing it until his body won't let him anymore. He is retired Army and just wants to hike the trail every year which is cool with me, to each his own. Doing it that many years in a row has to take a toll on the joints...

Is he keeping a journal? How old a guy,;) or young a guy is he?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 14:30
Doing it that many years in a row has to take a toll on the joints...

not really. depends on the person. i had major surgery on my knee over 30 years ago then started hiking the AT a few years after that. i went to springer 14 years in a row and hiker major miles all those years and never had any problems. never used poles either and carried a heavy pack

Yukon
01-04-2011, 14:34
Is he keeping a journal? How old a guy,;) or young a guy is he?

Nah he doesn't keep a journal ever, he said the only time he gets on the internet is to send his buddy Stumpknocker a message on his trail journal guest book. He's retired Army and this will be his ninth year hiking, so he is at a minimum 47ish? That's assuming he started hiking the AT right after he retired. I like to hear about him because he was one of the most decent hikers I ever met out there, lots of good info and nice to talk to. Every other AT hiker I have met that has met him says "that guy flies!"

Yukon
01-04-2011, 14:36
not really. depends on the person. i had major surgery on my knee over 30 years ago then started hiking the AT a few years after that. i went to springer 14 years in a row and hiker major miles all those years and never had any problems. never used poles either and carried a heavy pack

I'm not disagreeing with you there, some people can take an amazing amount of abuse to their body and just keep rolling. Good genes I guess :)

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 14:37

Wow 14 yrs in a row, when you coming back?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 14:40
Wow 14 yrs in a row, when you coming back?

this march i'm comin' out for a bit

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 14:41

Hope to see you! You drivin down or bus?

10-K
01-04-2011, 14:42
I'm not disagreeing with you there, some people can take an amazing amount of abuse to their body and just keep rolling. Good genes I guess :)

I hope he's eating well. 9 years in a row of a typical trail diet spells heart attack city.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 14:43
I hope he's eating well. 9 years in a row of a typical trail diet spells heart attack city.

:eek: i kinda agree :)

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 14:43
Hope to see you! You drivin down or bus?

drivin' down

Yukon
01-04-2011, 15:24

Do the whole thing, then I can meet ya in VT :cool:

Sly
01-04-2011, 15:27
Trek's the guy that starts every year Jan 1 and tries to be the 1st to Katahdin? I don't see the point, too many other awesome trails out there.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 15:57
Trek's the guy that starts every year Jan 1 and tries to be the 1st to Katahdin? I don't see the point, too many other awesome trails out there.

but you think certain people cuz they have 8 thru-hikes should be in a hall of fame

CrumbSnatcher
01-04-2011, 16:09
same trail every year is ok with me, but i'd start different times and have different types of hikes. like different seasons and all.
i started in febuary once
twice in march
and once in april. to each his own though:D maybe he just feels comfortable on the AT.

RevLee
01-04-2011, 16:59

Met Trek in Damascus last year and is a great guy. He leaves early to avoid the crowds and stops to visit with friends along the trail. Makes great time on the trail, but he's not racing. He helped motivate us to get through Mt. Rogers in the snow when the weekenders were calling for shuttles because they had had enough.

Sly
01-04-2011, 18:32
Met Trek in Damascus last year and is a great guy. He leaves early to avoid the crowds and stops to visit with friends along the trail. Makes great time on the trail, but he's not racing. He helped motivate us to get through Mt. Rogers in the snow when the weekenders were calling for shuttles because they had had enough.

You can also start late, or go southbound to avoid crowds. I don't know, he may not be racing, but every time I hear about the dude, it seems he's worried about being past and not the 1st to Katahdin.

Regardless, like I said, how many times is he gong to hike the same trail. I don't care what anyone says, every hike on the same trail is not all that different. If he's looking for solitude the CDT is a great trail.

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 18:36
You can also start late, or go southbound to avoid crowds. I don't know, he may not be racing, but every time I hear about the dude, it seems he's worried about being past and not the 1st to Katahdin.

Regardless, like I said, how many times is he gong to hike the same trail. I don't care what anyone says, every hike on the same trail is not all that different. If he's looking for solitude the CDT is a great trail.

Who know's what he's looking for, maybe a new record of completions.

CrumbSnatcher
01-04-2011, 18:48

i wasn't disagreeing SLY maybe he has OCD or something, seeking the record? who knows! like i said maybe he's more comfortable on the AT.
THE WESTERN TRAILS are more wilderness than he wants to try maybe?
easy to get off the AT for creature comforts and pampering too:D
like posted he likes to meet up with his friends and all. probably not ready or never will be ready to tackle something out of his league or?

Sly
01-04-2011, 19:14
but you think certain people cuz they have 8 thru-hikes should be in a hall of fame

Not eight thru-hikes, he only has 7 of those, but 8 completions in a row. Looks like Trek will beat that record, and perhaps get inducted one day because of it.

However, BJ is also very active in helping newbies, hikers, hostels owners etc. and an ambassador of sorts.

Anyway, I know the AT is convenient, and familiar and people make friends which makes it easier to just grab your pack and start hiking, but there are other trails out there.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 19:21
Not eight thru-hikes, he only has 7 of those, but 8 completions in a row.

However, BJ is also very active in helping newbies, hikers, hostels owners etc. and an ambassador of sorts.

i only have 5 completions and i'm very active in helping newbies find the best blue-blazes, etc. but i would never accept a spot in an AT hall of fame. such foolishness :cool:

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 19:30
i only have 5 completions and i'm very active in helping newbies find the best blue-blazes, etc. but i would never accept a spot in an AT hall of fame. such foolishness :cool:

Wow 14 starts, 5 completions, impressive!!!!!!!! Helping others.............priceless, thanks Lone Wlf, I'm sure you're a great guy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sun:):banana

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 19:32

And no offense, but you deserve it!!!:sun

Sly
01-04-2011, 19:48

Lots of volunteers and some serious people took years and years to put the AT Museum together, I'm sure they thought the idea of the Hall of Fame over beforehand. Yours is just a kneejerk response and opinion and unless you volunteered your time or money, really none of your business.

Del Q
01-04-2011, 21:14
Nice to hear the kind comments. I agree 100%

I do not think he cares or is after any records, just loves hiking. Goes with about a 23 lb pack all in, starts early, makes great time. In that he typically stays in shelters I am guessing part of the early start to get way ahead of the crowd. He lives up North and is no stranger to the cold.

Was thinking of him on 1/1/11, last year it was cold and snowy, this year it was 61 degrees in Atlanta!! Every hike is different I am sure.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 21:32
Lots of volunteers and some serious people took years and years to put the AT Museum together, I'm sure they thought the idea of the Hall of Fame over beforehand. Yours is just a kneejerk response and opinion and unless you volunteered your time or money, really none of your business.

i volunteered money. no knee-jerk response.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 21:34
And no offense, but you deserve it!!!:sun

i'm sure nobody would nominate me and if some did the almighty "committee" would reject me :D i'm hiker trash. not what they're lookin' for

pyroman53
01-04-2011, 22:14
LW...you've given me straight and helpful answers many times. I appreciate and respect that.

Hall of Fame...who gets to decide who gets to decide?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 22:19
LW...you've given me straight and helpful answers many times. I appreciate and respect that.

Hall of Fame...who gets to decide who gets to decide?

scroll down to hall of fame committee
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0Bw9_62w0xAxUYmMzMDdiYTktYmM0MS00ZDg2LThjZGU tMTEyNTZkZjI4NDhj&hl=en

hobbs
01-04-2011, 22:28
scroll down to hall of fame committee
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0Bw9_62w0xAxUYmMzMDdiYTktYmM0MS00ZDg2LThjZGU tMTEyNTZkZjI4NDhj&hl=en
I get the deal. Stacked deck!!! how I look at it LW is if your a member of the ATC then they have to have a meeting w/A members and appoint a committee. Thats how orginizations I did work with ran things...

pyroman53
01-04-2011, 22:32
thanks...pretty high standards. How do you pick and choose just a few from all the people who have made a contribution? Many are unsung, quiet contributors. Most not better than the others, just different.

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 22:37
thanks...pretty high standards. How do you pick and choose just a few from all the people who have made a contribution? Many are unsung, quiet contributors. Most not better than the others, just different.

I concur..........

Smile
01-05-2011, 01:09
We can have our own White Blaze hall of fame :)

takethisbread
01-05-2011, 05:07
Of all the silliest things in the world, a Hall of Fame for a hiking trail? Absurd. As far as this cat, whatever floats his boat. If it makes him happy to do it over and over again from January to May, all the power to him. If it makes him happy.

Speakeasy TN
01-05-2011, 05:19

I'm going to have to agree! If I gave a crap what other people thought I'd stay home, be responsible, and not take a walk in the woods! I guess some people are willing to buy outside affirmation?:confused:

Sly
01-05-2011, 06:41
Of all the silliest things in the world, a Hall of Fame for a hiking trail? Absurd.

I suppose you could say that about a museum too.

I still can't fathom the objection to the HOF. It's not like it's any skin off your backs. If it in anyway helps bring visitors to the museum it's a good thing, along with acknowledging the pioneers that help create, build, maintain and hiked the trail. Don't you think Benton MacKaye and Myron Avery deserve such recognition?

It could very well inspire someone that has nothing better to do to step up and do something extraordinary for the trail, which wouldn't be much different than an attempted thru-hike, the later considered a selfish endeavor.

Rocket Jones
01-05-2011, 07:22
Don't you think Benton MacKaye and Myron Avery deserve such recognition?

Nobody outside of a relatively few hikers give a rip about Benton MacKaye or Myron Avery. Give them a prominent place in the museum without elevating them to some nonsensical "HOF" status. Educate, not enshrine.

Sly
01-05-2011, 07:34
Nobody outside of a relatively few hikers give a rip about Benton MacKaye or Myron Avery. Give them a prominent place in the museum without elevating them to some nonsensical "HOF" status. Educate, not enshrine.

I still can't understand your problem with having HOF. Do you think the same about Cooperstown? Should paid athletes be enshrined?

"The Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame is a natural fit with the museum that opened last June," said Larry Luxenberg, president of the Appalachian Trail Museum Society. "The trail and the museum represent the collective efforts of volunteers who have made countless contributions in ways that are as varied as the personalities who have been involved. The hall of fame will recognize those people who have unselfishly devoted their time, energy and resources toward making the Appalachian Trail a national treasure." Maybe you should let the ATM board know of your criticism. That they're not running the museum up to your standards.

Hall of Fame Committee; Election - An Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Committee has been selected by the Appalachian Trail Museum Society Board of Directors to supervise the election process and to submit the finalists to the board. That committee is chaired by Jim Foster, a museum volunteer and 2007 thru-hiker of the Appalachian Trail. Other members of the committee are Noel DeCavalcante, Tom Johnson, Larry Luxenberg, Laurie Potteiger and J.R. Tate.

The Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Committee will deliver the slate of finalists to the museum board by April 30, 2011, for subsequent review and elections. For the first three years, founding classes to the Appalachian Trail Museum will be named. These initial classes will emphasize important historical figures who were critical to the creation and development of the trail. The Appalachian Trail Museum Society Board can elect up to six people in the first year, and up to three each in the second and third years. After the third year, only a single person may be elected each year.Maybe you can tell these people that have done far more for the trail than most most of anonymous hikers here, they're wasting their time.

Marta
01-05-2011, 08:15
I talked to five people starting long AT hikes on Jan. 1. Trek was one. Stumpknocker was another. Also Nightwalker, Cope, and a guy from WB whose name presently escapes me.

Trek is in the latter half of his 50s and just likes walking, especially in the snow. He doesn't file his hikes with the ATC, so it's unlikely he's aiming for any records. A very cool guy.

takethisbread
01-05-2011, 08:23
Whatever floats your boat. But who really cares? A few people care about cats like Myron Avery and Earl Schaffer ect. Nobody cares about people like Trek. We are all anonymous jabroni's. Regular people. Turning a trail into a industry of self congratulating like it's the Oscars seems to be antithecal to what it's all about.
It kinda sounds like masturbatory behavior.
Don't ask for my money. We all have people we admire and love on the trail, to me it ain't the hikers, but the folks that day in day out scrape a living together helping hikers move along, folks like Rebecca in Monson, Josh in Dahlinoga, Pat and Vicky at the Doyle, Ron in Franklin ect. I don't feel the need to have a plaque for them to tell them I love them and appreciate their efforts, but rather I'd tell them to their face.

Either way it's not my money. But I guess I get aggravated that our whole world is being disintegrated into a E News channel compilation of top ten lists and Industries of Vanity

I suppose you could say that about a museum too.

I still can't fathom the objection to the HOF. It's not like it's any skin off your backs. If it in anyway helps bring visitors to the museum it's a good thing, along with acknowledging the pioneers that help create, build, maintain and hiked the trail. Don't you think Benton MacKaye and Myron Avery deserve such recognition?

It could very well inspire someone that has nothing better to do to step up and do something extraordinary for the trail, which wouldn't be much different than an attempted thru-hike, the later considered a selfish endeavor.

Rocket Jones
01-05-2011, 08:23
Maybe you can tell these people that have done far more for the trail than most most of anonymous hikers here, they're wasting their time.

Apparently they do it for something other than glory.

Back to the original topic, which was Trek.

Mrs Baggins
01-05-2011, 13:24

Amen to that. :rolleyes:

Ladytrekker
01-05-2011, 13:53
I think we should vote for Whiteblaze.net to be in the hall of fame what other avenue has connected more hikers than this forum. Why does it have to a person?

Mrs Baggins
01-05-2011, 17:50
I think we should vote for Whiteblaze.net to be in the hall of fame what other avenue has connected more hikers than this forum. Why does it have to a person?

Excellent idea! :banana

beakerman
01-05-2011, 19:34

Yeah but your an old jarhead beast if I recall correctly so its kind of an unfair comparison Army vs Marine...I'll bet on jarheads every time. No offense ment to Army personell I've tangled with one too many Marines and it didn't end well for me where as Army folks were...lets just say softer and leave it at that...

JEBjr
01-05-2011, 19:38
Good to hear Cope is out again this year. I met him at Knot Maul last year. Poor guy got stung/bit by something in the middle of the night and the side of his face was all swollen up.

jtken
01-05-2011, 21:42
Me and my wife seen him @ hawk mtn shelter on Jan 1rst. It was raining extremely hard and in comes trek.......sets down, rings his socks out, applies body gluide to his feet, signs the register and away he went back in the downpour. said he was going to stop at gooch mtn shelter for the night.

jtken
01-05-2011, 21:43
cope stayed the night @ hawk mtn with us......super nice guy, hope his knee holds out

Blue Jay
01-06-2011, 13:15
Trek prefers that he not be talked about on line. Since he is in fact a really great guy and does not bother cyber hikers, please allow this thread to end quietly.

10-K
01-06-2011, 13:31
But will he make the Hall of Fame?

JEBjr
01-06-2011, 14:37
My best memory from hiking with Cope: him telling me the first 5 times he ever flew in a plane he never landed. I guess that is just part of being in the Airborne. :)

Lone Wolf
01-06-2011, 14:38
Trek prefers that he not be talked about on line. Since he is in fact a really great guy and does not bother cyber hikers, please allow this thread to end quietly.

oh for heavens sake! :rolleyes: puhleese!

Sly
01-06-2011, 14:56
Who said LW and I never agree? :D

hobbs
01-06-2011, 15:23
I never met Trek! But from what most are posting I would like too. Also IMO he's hiking his hike. Let the man alone!!!

Sly
01-06-2011, 15:48
Apparently you don't know, or care, what the AT Museum is about. For one it's not an E business but educational venue a historical brick and mortar building. Most of the people that enter will know little about the trail and unlikely to recognize any names, hence the new exhibit for the founders and shakers.

That you name a newbie service providers only tells me you're fairly new to the trail scene.

Whatever floats your boat. But who really cares? A few people care about cats like Myron Avery and Earl Schaffer ect. Nobody cares about people like Trek. We are all anonymous jabroni's. Regular people. Turning a trail into a industry of self congratulating like it's the Oscars seems to be antithecal to what it's all about.
It kinda sounds like masturbatory behavior.
Don't ask for my money. We all have people we admire and love on the trail, to me it ain't the hikers, but the folks that day in day out scrape a living together helping hikers move along, folks like Rebecca in Monson, Josh in Dahlinoga, Pat and Vicky at the Doyle, Ron in Franklin ect. I don't feel the need to have a plaque for them to tell them I love them and appreciate their efforts, but rather I'd tell them to their face.

Either way it's not my money. But I guess I get aggravated that our whole world is being disintegrated into a E News channel compilation of top ten lists and Industries of Vanity

tawa
01-09-2011, 13:34
Trek left Hiawassee/Dicks Creek Gap on the morning of Thursday 1-6-11. George and I got there at 2 PM that same afternoon and were shuttled back to Amacalola by Gene Roll.
We camped with him at Springer Mountain Shelter on New Years Eve before hiking back to the road crossing and driving down to Amacalola State Park to sign in and start on 1-1-11 on the Approach Trail. Whereas Trek And Stump--- left from Springer. Yes it rained the entire day on the trail on 1-1-11 --just as the weatherman had predicted a 100% chance of rain.
George had planned on returning all along to return to school on Monday and I needed to come home and start school on Monday and I needed to check on my elderly father who is having bone marrow test. So we had planned on trying to complete most of Georgia before returning home.
I plan on returning in a couple of weeks and continuing so welcome any thoughts-suggestions or advice on going through this area in early Feb. If anyone is interested in hiking from Hiwassee to Fontana Dam and or through the Smokies during this period please let me know.
TAWA
PS: Tray Mountain Shelter has been reported to be hard on sleeping bags due to mice---very accurate! We stayed there our last night and the mice were running around as if on an LA freeway. Someone had left four black plastic traps --which George loaded and reloaded ---ended up taking seven out that night alone. Someone also had left a full bag of garbage in a plastic bag hanging from one of the bear cables---Grrrrrrr!!!

tawa
01-09-2011, 14:07
Confusing---George had to return to school and was just hiking this section with me.
So we rode down together as I wanted to go ahead and get started on my thru hike and hike the early stages in the winter--weather permitting. So rode down with him and now deciding when to come back and continue north depending on my fathers results and status.

Speakeasy TN
01-09-2011, 17:18
Man I hope he hits Franklin this afternoon. It looks really bad for the mountains tonight! Anybody that can verify that he's ok?

tawa
01-09-2011, 19:18
Camped with Trek New Years Eve up at Springer Shelter. He left from there on Jan 1st whereas I hiked back to the car drove down to Amacalola and left from there on the 1st.
My plan was to try and go ahead and complete the Georgia section before coming home to take care of family issues. Trek reported left Hiawassee/Dicks Creek Gap early Thursday morning and we got there around 2 PM on Thursday.
Snowed our last night up at Tray Shelter and the mice were running around as if it was an LA freeway. Someone had left four black plastic traps. We made a dent in it and took out seven and wounded two or three more! Unbelievable---how aggressive they were. Our shuttle driver said two guys had their nice sleeping bags torn in by them as they looked for down bedding.
Also, someone had left a full bag of trash up on one of the bear poles/wires--GRRRR!!**
Great trip and plan on getting back down in a couple of weeks to keep heading north.
If anyone is interested in hiking from Hiawassee to Fontana Dam/Smokies please feel free to contact me --would love the company. Until then will monitor the weather and see when it looks like time to go.

Ogre
01-09-2011, 20:27
the mice were running around as if on an LA freeway.

They were all standing still in one long line? Weird!

Bearpaw
01-09-2011, 20:38
Man I hope he hits Franklin this afternoon. It looks really bad for the mountains tonight! Anybody that can verify that he's ok?

I forget where, but I saw where Ron Haven posted that Trek and three others were checked into the Budget Inn today. He said the bus was spinning a bit getting up to Winding Stair Gap. I hope the folks that are still up on the AT have extra food, because with the storm (both snow and ice expected) blowing through overnight, I suspect the road may be impassable for a day or two.

max patch
01-09-2011, 21:19

Bump......

kayak karl
01-09-2011, 21:39
hes ok, posts to me at times. i would think hes laughing at all of you right now. reading posts in front of a fireplace some where. he's on the trail and your not :D

Speakeasy TN
01-10-2011, 05:34
Heck of a year for the 1-1 starters so far! Safety first!

Ron Haven
01-10-2011, 05:51
Man I hope he hits Franklin this afternoon. It looks really bad for the mountains tonight! Anybody that can verify that he's ok?he is ok, and for you others coming into Franklin later. If you have a problem getting in even in bad weather I can help you. I have 2 vehicles that is 4X4 and in better weather we have vans and buses for larger groups.