PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer G4 vs Golite Jam

Spider
01-04-2011, 14:37
G4 Jam
16.5oz 29oz
$125 $90
3200ci 3050ci

Anyone have experience with either or both of these bags? For now, it's for 3-6 day hikes, but it'll also be for a future thru-hike. G4 is almost a pound lighter, but I can get the Jam for only $90. My only worry is that the G4 isn't a very durable material and that it'll easily rip or something. Thoughts?

Grimelowe
01-04-2011, 15:46
I have an original G4 (GG was GVP) that I've used for 10 years or so. It has held up well, and I'm planning on starting my thru this year with it (I have a back-up). I use my ridgerest inside to stiffen it and protect my stuff. I then stuff the middle. My only complaints are: 1. The extension collar is 'floppy' when I fill it up. 2. It is way too large for me (Stuff sloshes around) in hot weather as well. 3. I sweat terribly in the heat, and the use of and insulating pad doesn't help this situation one bit. 4. Since my pack is black silnylon, it looks like i'm walking with a hefty bag around my back.

I don't ever carry more than 30# fully loaded w/Food, water, and winter gear... More like 19# typically... 13# base. I hang as well, so it is nice to have the mesh outer sleeves to put my tarp cover in after rain.

I love mine. Glen makes a great pack. That said...I've been looking at the MLD Burn for a smaller replacement pack

Lint
01-04-2011, 19:45
Personally, I think there are WAY better options out there for ultralight packs. My G4 fell apart in '06 halfway through the PCT, and I've seen countless hikers destroy their GoLite packs over the years on many long trails. Neither company would be my choice for a backpack (although Gossamer Gear makes excellent shelters!)

ULA-Equipment makes some killer packs, as does Mountain Laurel Designs. Check 'em out.

Helios
01-04-2011, 20:24
I carried my ripped Golite pack off the trail in my arms - very dissapointed.

I've used a Six Moon Designs Starlight for the past 2 years without issue. Much more durable, and just as lightweight.

skinewmexico
01-05-2011, 02:04
My Gossamer Gear Mariposa + is more comfortable than my Jam2 or my G4. But buy what fits.