PDA

View Full Version : Looking for section reccomendations

chiefiepoo
01-04-2011, 17:24
Hello all,
After hiking the SNP section last June I'm looking for another 100-125 mile section for this coming May / June time frame. I'd like to fly in to an intermediate destination and take bus or shuttle to the trail. After the hike, bus or shuttle to an airport and fly back home (Tampa) or on to Milwaukee for a 10 day Isle Royle trip. Last year I was in at Charlottesville airport and out at Front Royal to Dc via bus. The bus service to Christiansberg looks attractive for SW VA but what else is out there?

ratfaceraines
01-07-2011, 02:23
roanoke airport then take the bus service to blacksburg, shuttle from there to the trail to say bland...hike north to troutville, which puts you 10-15 miles from roanoke airport, shuttle back to airport..this section offers points of interest macaffees' knob, tinker cliffs, the homeplace in catawba(best food on the trail), woods' hole hostel, angels' rest overlook, and rice field...be happy to arrange shuttles and answer any questions you may have ratfaceraines, 540-921-7433(RIDE)

Cookerhiker
01-07-2011, 12:48
For your timeframe, I'd vote for NC-TN, specifically Davenport Gap to Erwin (104 miles). Fly to Asheville, fly back from Tri-Cities. I believe you can get shuttles from either location - consult the ATC list or advertise here on WB.

Highlights, S-N: Snowbird Mountain, Max Patch, Hot Springs, Camp Creek Bald, Big Bald, Little Bald, view of Nolichucky River on descent to Erwin. You'll see lots of colorful wildflowers; specific types will depend on whether you hike in May or June.