PDA

View Full Version : Starting date to hke section in pa

horicon
01-04-2011, 17:38
When would be a good time to start a section hike in PA?

Thinging of starting(ending) Pine Grove Furnance State part and going to Shartlesvillm PA.

slugger
01-04-2011, 18:07
What type of hiking conditions do you like? :-?

horicon
01-05-2011, 10:25
Staying away from ice. Starting in March or April. I may or may not finish this section the first time. Have to use vacation time.

Cookerhiker
01-05-2011, 22:39
Any time in April would probably be OK. I'd start mid-April.

harryfred
01-05-2011, 23:15
I like Sept. or Oct. for that section warm days, can be hot, cool but not normally cold nights. Not a lot of other hikers some south bounders and section hikers. Normally not a lot of rain. Early still leaves on the trees. later good views. Watch for small game season wear some blaze orange. Water in that section should not be an issue. April and May are good I have had some really cold nights in April and a lot of rain in May. A lot of North bounders in May and June. Summer months hot, sticky and a lot of bugs. Winter could be snow, could be rain, could be ICE, will be cold nights. If you don't have to make a decision till the last minute it can be some of the best hiking, if you are prepared. Plan a stop at the Doyle you will not regret it.

fredmugs
01-06-2011, 09:17
I did most of my PA hiking in the middle of May and conditions were ideal (not too hot during the day to hike and not cold at night to sleep). I also did a hike in Sept after labor day and it was dry.

Sugarfoot
01-06-2011, 09:26
I've hiked PA twice in Mays. The first time was wet -- 18 days of cold rain. The second time was dry -- many springs were dry. Southern PA is a delight in any weather, White Rocks being one of my favorite places on the AT. And then there are the rocks, wet or dry. The temperature in May is moderate.

BAG "o" TRICKS
01-06-2011, 11:35
When would be a good time to start a section hike in PA?

Thinging of starting(ending) Pine Grove Furnance State part and going to Shartlesvillm PA.

If I had a choice I'd do a section in mid May thru early June as weather is usally nice (if we don't have a rainy season) and springs should still be running regardless. Suggest finishing in Port Clinton not Shartelsville which is well off trail

BAG "o" TRICKS
01-06-2011, 11:43
I like Sept. or Oct. for that section warm days, can be hot, cool but not normally cold nights. Not a lot of other hikers some south bounders and section hikers. Normally not a lot of rain. Early still leaves on the trees. later good views. Watch for small game season wear some blaze orange. Water in that section should not be an issue. April and May are good I have had some really cold nights in April and a lot of rain in May. A lot of North bounders in May and June. Summer months hot, sticky and a lot of bugs. Winter could be snow, could be rain, could be ICE, will be cold nights. If you don't have to make a decision till the last minute it can be some of the best hiking, if you are prepared. Plan a stop at the Doyle you will not regret it.

Fred, I've hiked the entire state of PA many times and water in some of those sections 'can be' an issue, especially if we had a dry winter.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2011, 21:39
Any time in April would probably be OK. I'd start mid-April.

Due to left over march winds that exstend into April and rain branches check a weather report for that zip and look at the wind speed, over 30 - don't go. after April 17th should be ok.

Blissful
01-06-2011, 22:16
I'm going early April to finish my SOBO. Hope I don't blow away. As long as it doesn't snow, I'll be happy. :)

ki0eh
01-07-2011, 02:05
If you're a weekender who bundles up, any time of year is usually OK, barring a big dump of snow that might occur once in five years or so, and the three weeks around Thanksgiving (rifle bear and deer seasons) wouldn't be my first choice. I usually clear my section in early to mid-April.

DuctTape
01-07-2011, 20:52
Late October into November has the best foliage.