PDA

View Full Version : Odd Knee Pain. Ideas?

smalls
01-04-2011, 19:02
A minor issue with my knee cropped up last month during deer season. I haven't experienced it before, but I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some ideas so I know how to handle it in the future.

I'm fairly sure it's an overuse issue. It's an ache, very specifically located right around my knee cap, mostly just above it. There was a little swelling but it subsided within 12 hours. It started following the second 8 mile day hiking up and down the mountain on my property in about 20" of snow. It was worst when standing up from a kneeling or squatting position, and didn't really bother me at all when sitting down or standing up but not walking. It was miserable walking down hill.

A brace kept me on the move, and I iced it regularly for the first couple days, but that won't be so easy on the trail.

Anybody seen a doctor with symptoms like that or have some advice besides my Dad's ever so helpful "Well don't do that any more, stupid" :D?

-Smalls

Ladytrekker
01-04-2011, 19:25
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome

smalls
01-04-2011, 19:44
Ladytrekker, a quick google says that is a pretty darn good possibility. Seems the recommended treatment is rest, ice, strength training, and vitamin I. It hasn't completely gone away in ~4 weeks in my case, but it is significantly better. Sounds like I need to get in the gym and get working on muscle strength in my legs.

Thanks!
-Smalls

Kerosene
01-04-2011, 20:02
I was going to suggest the same. Strengthening your quads will likely help quite a bit, but I'd suggest visiting a physical therapist to get guidance on specific exercises. Not sure if you can do that without an ortho referral though.

smalls
01-04-2011, 22:07
Kerosene, luckily I am already in PT for an old back injury that takes a little maintenance. I'll just get some input from her on my next appointment. I've been working my legs hard in the gym, but in the reading I've done this evening, that might be just the trouble. It's possible I'm strengthening certain muscles and ignoring others, so the tension on my knee cap is uneven.

-Smalls

burger
01-04-2011, 22:33
+1 on strengthening your quads. That's the most important thing you can do if it is patellofemoral pain syndrome.

The next most important thing you can do is stretch your calves and hamstrings a lot. When I've had this problem, stretching my hamstrings often provided immediate relief.

smalls
01-05-2011, 00:30
Burger, and I have incredibly tight ham strings to boot, hence the back injury years ago. 26, and I have the back of a 50 year old :/

-Smalls