PDA

View Full Version : Bear Grylls new Knife

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2011, 20:29
Blade size is 100mm X 30 X 4 (3.9inches x 1.2 x .16) which is in the range of a good survival knife. Total length 215mm (8.5 inches) and weighing in at 200grams (7 ounces).

11.02 with sheaf & sharpener

REVIEW http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/bear-grylls-knife/

LOOK SEE http://bear.gerbergear.com/

BradMT
01-04-2011, 22:17
A nearly useless knife IMO.

Mtn Scout
01-04-2011, 22:29
just buying his name. i will stick with my SOG

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 22:35
just buying his name. i will stick with my SOG
You saw the spokesperson for SOG???:-?

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2011, 22:41
A nearly useless knife IMO.

OK Brad, - they put a lot of thought into it and its made by Gerber.... Can I ask you to back up your statement with a why?

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 22:44
OK Brad, - they put a lot of thought into it and its made by Gerber.... Can I ask you to back up your statement with a why?

Not sayin I'd buy it, but I sure do like the looks and everything it offers! I love Gerber products, they have served me well!:)

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2011, 22:51
Well I probably have too many knifes, I have given a few good ones away, so I am not saying I would buy it either... Many things Bear endorses - become astronomically priced. Take a look at those pants on line for a laugh.

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 22:55
Well I probably have too many knifes, I have given a few good ones away, so I am not saying I would buy it either... Many things Bear endorses - become astronomically priced. Take a look at those pants on line for a laugh.

Most major companys have high profile endorsments, that what makes things so expensive, but like I said I love Gerber products and reallllllllly like the looks of that knife! Thanks Wise one;)

HiKen aka Dtour

Iceaxe
01-04-2011, 23:14
If you like the look of that knife.. and want a US made version at a mere fraction of the price.. look at Bear & Son knives.
I bought mine at Seldom Seen Knives in West Yellowstone Mt. I paid 70 bucks.
It is definitely way overkill for a thru hiker knife and I definitely ain't bothering to haul it on the AT(Victorinox Classic for AT). My Bear & Son "skinner" is a great US made knife with excellant utility value. I went with a drop point single edge. The back side is square(thus skinner). It makes it really useful for splintering chunks of wood for kindling. You can tao the blade into stumps and logs. Also makes it easy to get at dry wood in rainsoaked deadfall.
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/the_q_store/knives_bear_and_son/images/cb87/knife.jpg

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 23:15
If you like the look of that knife.. and want a US made version at a mere fraction of the price.. look at Bear & Son knives.
I bought mine at Seldom Seen Knives in West Yellowstone Mt. I paid 70 bucks.
It is definitely way overkill for a thru hiker knife and I definitely ain't bothering to haul it on the AT(Victorinox Classic for AT). My Bear & Son "skinner" is a great US made knife with excellant utility value. I went with a drop point single edge. The back side is square(thus skinner). It makes it really useful for splintering chunks of wood for kindling. You can tao the blade into stumps and logs. Also makes it easy to get at dry wood in rainsoaked deadfall.
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/the_q_store/knives_bear_and_son/images/cb87/knife.jpg
Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BradMT
01-05-2011, 00:01
Blade size is 100mm X 30 X 4 (3.9inches x 1.2 x .16) which is in the range of a good survival knife. Total length 215mm (8.5 inches) and weighing in at 200grams (7 ounces).

11.02 with sheaf & sharpener

REVIEW http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/bear-grylls-knife/

LOOK SEE http://bear.gerbergear.com/

A serrated blade? Really? For what? Fighting Talliban?

Surviving what? On the Appalachian Trail?

Heavy... clunky... good for killing people and not much else. Any one thing besides killing, I could name a knife better for any given chore from cutting vegetables to dressing fish or game.

If it's personal defense you're after there a better solutions... as the man said, "never take a knife to a gunfight."

It's a free country and you can get whatever you want but you obviously were soliciting opinions...

swash
01-05-2011, 08:27
A serrated blade? Really? For what? Fighting Talliban?

Surviving what? On the Appalachian Trail?

Heavy... clunky... good for killing people and not much else. Any one thing besides killing, I could name a knife better for any given chore from cutting vegetables to dressing fish or game.

If it's personal defense you're after there a better solutions... as the man said, "never take a knife to a gunfight."

It's a free country and you can get whatever you want but you obviously were soliciting opinions...

+1

It be about as helpful as my paraframe

FritztheCat
01-05-2011, 08:53
$700.00 + for a knife? Wow!

beakerman
01-05-2011, 10:41
If Bear told me to treat my water I might just drink up straight out of that mud puddle just out of spite...give me a straw.

I despise that man and everythign he attatches his name to. I have been through many survival courses...even had real backwoods emergencies to deal with and I am here to tell you the man is a clown. If anyone thinks doing th ecrap he pulls is the way to deal with a real situation then they are going to be really sorry if they ever find themselves in such conditions. One of the first rules of "survival" is not to risk your life jumping off cliffs into trees like Rambo, leaping over crevases/gourges or swimming in the fastest part of the river. these sorts of things make you a victim (of your own stupidity mostly) rather than a survivor...unless of course you manage to survive your own stupidity.

So I will aways do the exact oposite of what that douche says to do....

wornoutboots
01-05-2011, 10:50
I've had my $1.00 walmart 4" lockblade/partial serrated knife for a few hundred miles & it has never let me down. I'll stick with it-- pun intended : ~ )

Rain Man
01-05-2011, 11:43
One of the first rules of "survival" is not to risk your life jumping off cliffs into trees like Rambo, leaping over crevases/gourges or swimming in the fastest part of the river. these sorts of things make you a victim (of your own stupidity mostly) rather than a survivor...unless of course you manage to survive your own stupidity.

Or the stupidity of the audience. Sadly, one of the first rules of "reality" television is unreal stunts just as you described to give the audience a thrill or titillation they can't get off their fat asses to get themselves. Real life is boring, or so is considered by television executives and audiences.

Rain Man

Yukon
01-05-2011, 12:21
It's called television people, that's how they sell advertising. There is a reason his show does well, because people actually want to watch it. There is a disclaimer right at the beginning of the show, for those of you that can't pay attention apparently. Simple fact is that he is an extremely qualified survivalist with a very impressive resume' that has an exciting TV show, and has made money doing it. Kudos to him...

YohonPetro
01-05-2011, 12:23
Also the quality of Bear's awesome knife is in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oR4K4sVR8

Gerber usually does better :-/

Wise Old Owl
01-05-2011, 13:18
YohonPetro (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=27423) excellent find that's doing your homework.

Folks try to avoid posts that inflame, lets try to keep this as a dialogue. It's just a knife, not a rifle.

beakerman
01-05-2011, 13:26
It's called television people, that's how they sell advertising. There is a reason his show does well, because people actually want to watch it. There is a disclaimer right at the beginning of the show, for those of you that can't pay attention apparently. Simple fact is that he is an extremely qualified survivalist with a very impressive resume' that has an exciting TV show, and has made money doing it. Kudos to him...

As a chemist I have a truly impressive almost god-like resume but i don't do dangerous demonstrations in front of people during my presentations and try to get away with the old "don't try this at home kids..." routine. Highly qualified or not he's still a clown and as such his show should be called stupid human tricks or some variation thereof so he doesn't get sued by letterman.

If his claim is he's a trained professional he also has the responsibility to not show people how to kill themselves. Saying it's TV is a cheap out. If he wants to sell it as extreme sports then he should have Warren Miller produce his show...his stuff is way cooler.

Anyway back on topic the knife is way over priced...it doens't matter what name you associate it.

Yukon
01-05-2011, 13:27
As a chemist I have a truly impressive almost god-like resume but i don't do dangerous demonstrations in front of people during my presentations and try to get away with the old "don't try this at home kids..." routine. Highly qualified or not he's still a clown and as such his show should be called stupid human tricks or some variation thereof so he doesn't get sued by letterman.

If his claim is he's a trained professional he also has the responsibility to not show people how to kill themselves. Saying it's TV is a cheap out. If he wants to sell it as extreme sports then he should have Warren Miller produce his show...his stuff is way cooler.

Anyway back on topic the knife is way over priced...it doens't matter what name you associate it.

I didn't see him die in any of his shows. He, in fact, survived. Which means you could technically do everything that he has done and live.

Wags
01-06-2011, 00:58
don't be an idiot. some marketing person talked to bear's agent. said hey. we will give you $xx,xxx.xx to let us put "bear grylls" in front of this knife's name. said agent took the idea to bear, and he said "i have to earn a living like everyone else. yes"...

i've seen lots of overpriced equipment. no sense in dumping on bear for this one...

Smile
01-06-2011, 12:35
I didn't see him die in any of his shows. He, in fact, survived. Which means you could technically do everything that he has done and live.

True, and he didn't even have the Bear G. $700 signature knife!

His PR folks must think he's kinda like the male version of Oprah, and that guys are like Oprah lemmings that will buy these because of his name, but it probably will be cheaper in a few months when they find out men are probably much smarter than that, and that they have overpriced this item :)

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2011, 12:42
When I started this thread I had no idea it was 700 dollars.

sheepdog
01-06-2011, 12:45
his name must work

it's sold out

Yukon
01-06-2011, 12:47
his name must work

it's sold out

Wish I could put my name on something and make millions :cool:

sheepdog
01-06-2011, 12:50
me too.......

M1 Thumb
01-06-2011, 13:05
The Gerber knife with Bear's name attached to it is not $700. Amazon has them for $70, although out of stock. I think the knife that Bear uses may be the one with the $700 price tag, thus the confusion.

If you wait a few more months you can probably get a free Gerber Bear knife with every purchase of a Fushigi. Or it might be the other way around.

Doctari
01-06-2011, 13:40
I count on Bear greatly for wilderness advice, If he likes it or says something is a good idea, I avoid it like the plague OR do just the opposite. I watch his show in the hopes they show the one where he gets hurt REALLY REALLY badly doing something really stupid (Yea, I know bear's show is all about him doing stupid stuff in a "survival situation").

I'm thinking any knife Bear likes would make a Great paper weight, but little else.

Yukon
01-06-2011, 13:47
I find it hilarious how many people on here like to bash Bear but none of you have anywhere near the credentials of him, or the money. It's very comical. I guess jealousy is alive and well here :rolleyes:

IceAge
01-06-2011, 14:15
I may not have BG's credentials, but even I know better than to catch a skunk in my coat and then burn the hair off it over an open fire.

If I remember correctly, he was only able to eat one bite of that. It's shocking that meat that reeks of burnt hair and skunk spray might not be palatable! :rolleyes:

Plus he gets a skunk-sprayed coat to wear in the bargain!

So I am not "bashing" him because I'm jealous, but because he does stupid ****. I doubt that a literally starving person would be able to keep down a burnt-hair skunkburger.

Skidsteer
01-06-2011, 15:26
I can't believe how negative and hateful you guys are. He's just pursuing his dream. :D

sheepdog
01-06-2011, 16:40
hahahahahahaha

vamelungeon
01-06-2011, 16:58
My "survival" knife is either my Swiss Army knife or my Gerber multi-tool because I always have one or both ON ME.
Gerber makes good knives, I've used Gerber Gators for deer field dressing for years with no complaints.
DITTO on doing the opposite of what Grylls says to do.

Sierra Echo
01-06-2011, 17:02
:D I would pay that much if Bear Grylls came with it! :D

Awol1970
01-06-2011, 17:06
:D I would pay that much if Bear Grylls came with it! :D

That right there was funny S.E.

Sickmont
01-06-2011, 17:15
Its a tad large for me, blade length wise. I used to do the whole gigantic Rambo "survival" knives thing when i was younger and in the military, but now i'll take a smaller fixed non serrated knife anyday. In fact, my Benchmade Nimravus i'm taking with me on my thru-hike in 2012 is a good bit of overkill too, but i always feel naked without a blade on me somewhere.

grayfox
01-06-2011, 17:41
I'm really sorry that so many here bash Bear. I really like the guy. And I will tell you why. Even though he does things I would not do--well, read could not do--the best thing is that if you watch him you begin to realize that what it takes to survive is to never ever give up until the job is done. I like his positive attitude. He works from experience and knowledge, for which there is no substitute, but he keeps at it no matter what. My guess is that more poeple have perished because they gave up than have died because they lacked the ability to deal with the emergency at hand.

As for the knife, I think it costs about seventy dollars and looks like a good deal to me. I like that it has a sheath, a way to make fire, and a way to keep it sharp. For $70, I'm buying one when the new model come out. Gerber is a good company from past experience and I am sure that if the first model had problems, they will fix it in the next batch. I do not think that the product problems have anything to to with Bear.

nitewalker
01-06-2011, 17:46
the knife is selling for 59.99 on the cabellas website...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Ffixed-blade-knives-gerber-bear-grylls-fixed-blade-knife.shtml&ei=GDgmTfaUIoe-sQPv77jBAQ&usg=AFQjCNH9JA3YYbDIYAy2xLqo8VWJsErbKw

beakerman
01-06-2011, 17:48
I find it hilarious how many people on here like to bash Bear but none of you have anywhere near the credentials of him, or the money. It's very comical. I guess jealousy is alive and well here :rolleyes:

you are right I don't have his "credentials" as you pout it but let me add this I know many pHD Chemists that I wouldn't let bake a cake in an Eazy-Bake oven forget actually do a complicated sysnthesis in a lab even though that is what they were "trained" to do...a piece of paper does not equal skill. As my dad once said: intellect is not wisdom.

Yes I know his show is supposed to be for entertainment...but that's not how many people see it. I've seen him pull stuff off that I would expect to see on Jackass not some show "demonstrating" possible survival tactics. i wouldn't have a problem if it was promoted as some extreme outdoor activity show and nothing more.

I don't even care that his stuff is all staged and he is really never out in it hard core ...film and safety crew at hand.

Its what he does...that plain and simple. Throwing yourself off a cliff and into a tree is hollywood crap. It makes for an exciting clip but its a very good way to find yourself with a busted rib or worse impaled on a limb up in the tree...how is that a survival skill...how is that even smart? If you were being chased by a bear or something yeah sure but just to save the trouble of climbing down safely? No. Worse yet in this case to make ratings....

beakerman
01-06-2011, 17:51
I'm really sorry that so many here bash Bear. I really like the guy. And I will tell you why. Even though he does things I would not do--well, read could not do--the best thing is that if you watch him you begin to realize that what it takes to survive is to never ever give up until the job is done. I like his positive attitude. He works from experience and knowledge, for which there is no substitute, but he keeps at it no matter what. My guess is that more poeple have perished because they gave up than have died because they lacked the ability to deal with the emergency at hand.

I agree with this point positive attitude about the situation is extremely important but so is not makeing things worse...whish is where I have problems with him.

beakerman
01-06-2011, 17:54
The Gerber knife with Bear's name attached to it is not $700. Amazon has them for $70, although out of stock. I think the knife that Bear uses may be the one with the $700 price tag, thus the confusion.

If you wait a few more months you can probably get a free Gerber Bear knife with every purchase of a Fushigi. Or it might be the other way around.

Even at $70 its too much for a knife in my opinion...regardless of the name you put on it.

Wags
01-06-2011, 20:11
pretty sure no one here climbed everest. the end

Sickmont
01-07-2011, 12:59
I never bashed the dude, i just said that the knife wasn't my style.

Luddite
01-07-2011, 13:33
pretty sure no one here climbed everest. the end

:rolleyes: Big deal. If hes like most Everest climbers he didn't even carry his own gear up. The real climbers are the Sherpas.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-07-2011, 13:37
:rolleyes: Big deal. If hes like most Everest climbers he didn't even carry his own gear up. The real climbers are the Sherpas.

Agreed!...

BradMT
01-07-2011, 15:29
Climbing the world's highest garbage dump isn't on the top of my list of inspiring feats. Anyone can buy their way to Everest. I have the physical and climbing qualifications to do so. Yippee. And I'm not saying BG isn't a qualified climber...

His KNIFE is THE subject of this thread and is designed for Gullible Greenhorn's or Soldiers of Fortune with too much disposable income...

Yukon
01-07-2011, 16:16

Have you ever been up it?

Yukon
01-07-2011, 16:17
Agreed!...

What about you also, have you ever climbed it?

Yukon
01-07-2011, 16:18
Climbing the world's highest garbage dump isn't on the top of my list of inspiring feats. Anyone can buy their way to Everest. I have the physical and climbing qualifications to do so. Yippee. And I'm not saying BG isn't a qualified climber...

His KNIFE is THE subject of this thread and is designed for Gullible Greenhorn's or Soldiers of Fortune with too much disposable income...

And another person spouting from a computer. I know someone that hiked Everest and I assure it's not as easy as it might look on TV. Saying anyone can buy their way up Everest is a ridiculous comment.

Luddite
01-07-2011, 16:47
Have you ever been up it?

7 times. Camp 4 is pretty much like my second home.

vamelungeon
01-07-2011, 16:53
Bear Grylls may have climbed Everest, but he does things that are incredibly STUPID, especially in a "survival" situation. I'm not jealous of him and I feel sorry for people who see him do his Jackass style stunts and mistake it for good survival advice.

Luddite
01-07-2011, 16:59
And another person spouting from a computer. I know someone that hiked Everest and I assure it's not as easy as it might look on TV. Saying anyone can buy their way up Everest is a ridiculous comment.

Hiked Everest? Of course its not easy but that doesn't mean you can't buy your way up the mountain.

swjohnsey
01-07-2011, 17:43
Cheap knife (sixty bucks) made in China. Won't do anything well. Really thick blade (hard to sharpen, won't skin well), heavy. Serrated edge that ain't easy to sharpen. If I have a knife in a survival situation I won't be pryin' with it or using it as a spear.

Sickmont
01-07-2011, 17:49
Cheap knife (sixty bucks) made in China. Won't do anything well. Really thick blade (hard to sharpen, won't skin well), heavy. Serrated edge that ain't easy to sharpen. If I have a knife in a survival situation I won't be pryin' with it or using it as a spear.
Let me guess, was it made by United Cutlery?

BradMT
01-07-2011, 19:23

Never known anyone that "hiked Everest" but I do know a few that have climbed it. I also know I have the technical and physical ability to do so. Never said it was "easy," only said anyone with the proper physical attributes and a modicum of climbing skill can buy a chance to the top.

Everest is one of the singularly unimpressive feats of our age... a colossal garbage dump with aspiring ego-maniacs queuing up...

K2 on the other hand...

Wags
01-07-2011, 19:55
lol. now this thread has turned into a bunch of jackass haters making idiotic statements like you can buy your way to the summit as easy as buying a sportscoat... get a freaking clue

BradMT
01-07-2011, 20:01
lol. now this thread has turned into a bunch of jackass haters making idiotic statements like you can buy your way to the summit as easy as buying a sportscoat... get a freaking clue

And you only prove you can't read OR write...

Wags
01-07-2011, 21:30
i read and write just fine brad.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2011, 21:52

Latest News - Please beware of Chinese made fake copies bayleyknife,

(http://www.bayleyknife.com/site/news.aspx)There are Copies of my Bear Grylls knife being listed on ebay and otherwise sold on the internet, I can categorically state that they are most certainly mass produced knock offs and fakes that are in no way connected with or authorised by bayleyknife, which is and always will be work by my own hand. Out of interest I made less then 100 of my S4 survival knives showing Bears logo on the leatherwork or blades, any for sale will be pre-owned and usually sell for a premium.

swjohnsey
01-07-2011, 22:05
That is not the knife in the video. He might've hand made 'em at one time but I can assure you that Gerber does not. You will not find many handmade knives for sixty bucks.

BradMT
01-07-2011, 22:20
i read and write just fine brad.

Enough said...

Smile
01-07-2011, 22:26
I want to know what kind of knife the Sherpa's use, that one I would buy - they deserve far more credit than they get IMHO :)

swash
01-08-2011, 00:28
I want to know what kind of knife the Sherpa's use, that one I would buy - they deserve far more credit than they get IMHO :)

One of the truest things said in this thread

Wags
01-08-2011, 01:00
i'm pretty sure everyone who's worked w/ sherpas to climb the himilayas has pretty much given all the credit to the sherpas. it's something i respect out of all those guys... the majority of them do a lot of good for that community

trailangelbronco
01-08-2011, 01:51
He is Britain's equivalent of a Navy Seal with documented combat experience and a story that could keep you up at night, asking yourself how he got back alive.

He is also a TV star, trying to get ratings with risky acts and selling stuff with his name on it. I respect the Soldier, but dislike his antics and won't buy his products.

Unless he comes out with a 20 ounce 800 fill down bag with a built in BJ machine for under $150......

Awol1970
01-08-2011, 07:58
"...built in BJ machine..." made me spit coffee.

form
01-08-2011, 08:35
i like to watch bear but does the knife do the following cut,sew,punch small holes,open bottles,open cans,have a tooth pick,tweezers,screw driver,if not then rethink your purchase,ounces make pounds and pounds make pain

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2011, 11:01
i like to watch bear but does the knife do the following cut,sew,punch small holes,open bottles,open cans,have a tooth pick,tweezers,screw driver,if not then rethink your purchase,ounces make pounds and pounds make pain

Comparing the Swedish Army Manicure Set to a knife is unthinkable...

Go out and take a 2x4 and use a carbon steel knife and round one corner say 5 minutes of whitleing... Then do the other side with the Swiss. Then compare the blade... the Swiss will be dull as dirt and require sharpening. It isn't even food grade stainless, but makes a good knife for dinner service.:-?

Its like saying Mattel makes good cars.

swjohnsey
01-08-2011, 12:19
I wonder. I prolly have a couple of hundred knives, maybe 20 -30 customs mostly from botique steels. The knife I carry most is a Victorinox, the one issued to the German military, green aluminum scales, 2 3/4" spearpoint blade, corkscrew, awl and saw. I isn't exactly D2 but it hold an edge well.

swjohnsey
01-08-2011, 12:44
Interestingly, I won't be carrying the Victorinox on my thru-hike, it will be a Leatherman Juice S2 instead.

Spider
01-08-2011, 13:02
I would never buy something by him. He's a fraud IMO. I'm sure he knows a lot about wilderness survival but he isn't who he says he is. He's not really surviving alone in the wild, as he has an entire camera crew right behind him the entire way, able to give him aid if need be. Survivorman is the guy to watch. He does all his own filming and really does know what he's talking about.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2011, 17:51
I am not saying one should not carry the Swiss Army knife, just understand the limitations. - I actually wish I could try out a juice. Anyway, I carry a UL Shrade and from time to time a full leatherman, depending on the type of trip.

I have learned the hardway about China knockoffs and cheap knives.

Luddite
01-08-2011, 18:10
I have learned the hardway about China knockoffs and cheap knives.

You and Aron Ralston.

BradMT
01-08-2011, 19:38
Go out and take a 2x4 and use a carbon steel knife and round one corner say 5 minutes of whitleing... Then do the other side with the Swiss.

What in the world are you doing with a knife that your 2x4 test has any relationship to?

That's like saying because your Ford Ranger won't fly to the moon it's not reliable transportation...

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2011, 20:09
2x4 or any bit of woodhttp://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=406759869667&id=7f6ab780029f42c6eb8dc095b26e58ab&index=ch1bow drill

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=333244080403&id=42d8d7a3a92b3bf1e82fce0a41ba48dc&index=ch1http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=391224830290&id=1b0893a7436f7dab68a8ffb4569d5c79&index=ch1fuzz ztick
trapshttp://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=421713419253&id=8b20e553802d89967854cd49336587c4&index=ch1spears

what ever it takes to stay alive in a bad situation... even coring an apple.

My point was the Swiss goes blunt very fast under all conditions.

nox
01-08-2011, 20:38
Hey Owl, You need to realize that some of the people here equate hiking the AT with "survival". Sure, you don't need a large knife to hike past white blazes. If anyone here were truely lost deep in the woods possibly for days or weeks they would be kicking themselves for just bringing a tiny swiss SD. A survival knife might not filet like a Cutco knife and it might not chop down a tree like and axe. It isn't for one specific thing. It is meant to be tough and be versitile. As long as that knife it built right the price isn't all that bad (at $70).

BradMT
01-08-2011, 21:50
2x4 or any bit of woodhttp://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=406759869667&id=7f6ab780029f42c6eb8dc095b26e58ab&index=ch1bow drill

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=333244080403&id=42d8d7a3a92b3bf1e82fce0a41ba48dc&index=ch1http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=391224830290&id=1b0893a7436f7dab68a8ffb4569d5c79&index=ch1fuzz ztick
trapshttp://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=421713419253&id=8b20e553802d89967854cd49336587c4&index=ch1spears

what ever it takes to stay alive in a bad situation... even coring an apple.

My point was the Swiss goes blunt very fast under all conditions.

Get real... seriously.

Smile
01-09-2011, 07:06
Nice ultralight knife, fits on a key chain if you want, or just in your pocket. 0.8 ounces, sharp. Gerber discontinued this knife, so get one while you can if you're into the minimual lightweight/efficient mode.

Gerber 06050 Ultra light LST Folding Knife with Fine Blade

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2011, 19:02
Hey Owl, You need to realize that some of the people here equate hiking the AT with "survival". Sure, you don't need a large knife to hike past white blazes. If anyone here were truely lost deep in the woods possibly for days or weeks they would be kicking themselves for just bringing a tiny swiss SD. A survival knife might not filet like a Cutco knife and it might not chop down a tree like and axe. It isn't for one specific thing. It is meant to be tough and be versitile. As long as that knife it built right the price isn't all that bad (at $70).

You are right and I don't equate the AT with survival, but a few people have got themselves into impossible bad situations and you get to read about them in the paper or right here on WB.

Get real... seriously.

More real than you will ever know.
I knew I was going to take some heat for that post, but because you are a WB member know you know the Swiss army knife is a toy that goes dull fast, and now you can make an educated decision. And if its raining and you can't find dry wood and you have hypothermia.. I hope you know what a fuzz stick is.

Luddite
01-09-2011, 19:08
Nice ultralight knife, fits on a key chain if you want, or just in your pocket. 0.8 ounces, sharp. Gerber discontinued this knife, so get one while you can if you're into the minimual lightweight/efficient mode.

Gerber 06050 Ultra light LST Folding Knife with Fine Blade

Thats what I'm bringing on my thru hike. It is a great knife.

RGB
01-09-2011, 19:10
I use a Gerber Gator as my mainstay knife and it is amazing. I can usually just touch it against thin rope or line and it snaps without any effort. I would never need anything else. It stays sharp for a while, too, between sharpenings.

As for Bear....Les Stroud is just infinitely more badass.

Half Note
01-09-2011, 19:16
Or the stupidity of the audience. Sadly, one of the first rules of "reality" television is unreal stunts just as you described to give the audience a thrill or titillation they can't get off their fat asses to get themselves. Real life is boring, or so is considered by television executives and audiences.

Rain Man

Oh it's real alright. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is)

RGB
01-09-2011, 19:24

That was hilarious. hahaha!

Luddite
01-09-2011, 19:26
As for Bear....Les Stroud is just infinitely more badass.

Agreed. He doesn't jump out of planes but he can play the harmonica and he doesn't sleep in hotels.

Luddite
01-09-2011, 19:28

OMG HAHA I'm never watching that show again.

Smile
01-09-2011, 20:54
Thats what I'm bringing on my thru hike. It is a great knife.

It sure is, and discontinued as well, so get em while you can :)

vamelungeon
01-09-2011, 22:41
I'm keeping my Victorinox, in spite of any bad reviews on WB.
Ditto with my Gerber Gator.
And I'm still not a Bear Grylls fan.

BradMT
01-10-2011, 20:51
I knew I was going to take some heat for that post, but because you are a WB member know you know the Swiss army knife is a toy that goes dull fast, and now you can make an educated decision. And if its raining and you can't find dry wood and you have hypothermia.. I hope you know what a fuzz stick is.

LOL, you're kidding right?

I'm quite certain I've been in tighter situation's than you can ever imagine.

I just know a lot of DVD/TV/Book learnin' vs. the real thing when I see it...

Colter
01-11-2011, 09:49
because you are a WB member know you know the Swiss army knife is a toy that goes dull fast

I think it's likely that the smaller Swiss army knives (the Classic, for example) are the most common knife carried on the AT. That's what I carried and used.

sporthansa
01-18-2011, 20:32
There are actually a number of other celebrity designed / endorsed knives out there. Helle of Norway has just announced a knife ("The Temagami") designed by Les Stroud, the Survivorman from Discover Channel.

http://lesstroud.ca/news/les-stroud-launchs-new-signature-knife

(I work for Sport Hansa, the US importer for Helle knives)

Awol1970
01-18-2011, 20:43
And how much does that one cost?

Luddite
01-18-2011, 20:44
There are actually a number of other celebrity designed / endorsed knives out there. Helle of Norway has just announced a knife ("The Temagami") designed by Les Stroud, the Survivorman from Discover Channel.

http://lesstroud.ca/news/les-stroud-launchs-new-signature-knife

(I work for Sport Hansa, the US importer for Helle knives)

I think he has signature harmonicas too.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2011, 00:49
LOL, you're kidding right?

I'm quite certain I've been in tighter situation's than you can ever imagine.

I just know a lot of DVD/TV/Book learnin' vs. the real thing when I see it...

No I wasn't and I am sticking to what I have found out the hard way. Swiss are a joke, IMO. One can pick up a decent blade new or used for under $40 that will blow the Swiss Army knife away.

Colter
01-19-2011, 10:28
No I wasn't and I am sticking to what I have found out the hard way. Swiss are a joke, IMO...

Swiss Army Knives are perhaps the most popular knives in the world, and likely the knives most commonly carried on the AT by experienced hikers.

Feel free to carry another type of knife, but a sensible model of Swiss Army Knife is certainly no joke.

TheYoungOne
01-19-2011, 12:32
I'm more of a gear junkie and I have looked at the Gerber bear knife.

Its basically a chinese copy of the Gerber LMF/ASEK series of knives. That knife is a survival knife made for pilots. The serations were made to saw thru sheet metal and the pommel was made for breaking cockpit plexiglass.

http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=500&uid=1902798342

I like that the Bear knife has a built in fire steel & sharpener,and that the pommel can be used as a hammer, but honestly I hate the serations, its just too darn much. The blade it under 5" which I don't fine to be too big. A 7" Kabar is too and those monster foot long survival knives are too big. The big thing is the weight. The entire package is 14.7 ounces.

http://bear.gerbergear.com/assets/images/products/ultimate2.jpg

http://bear.gerbergear.com/knives/ultimate-knife/

There is a dajo survival knife with a 1" shorter blade, a fire steel and whistle that come in at just 6oz. This is more of a AT survival blade. However I would no trust the Dajo knife doing hard chores. The Bear knife seem to be a better knife, but why carry all that weight.

http://www.rei.com/product/802109

http://www.touring-gear.com/product_images/z/691/survivor__27565_zoom.jpg

Also you got to think of legalities. You do not want to want into town with a big knife hanging off your pack. :rolleyes:

Trailbender
01-19-2011, 15:17
If you want a good bushcraft fixed blade that is light, get a Mora. They are like 4 oz with sheath, and under 20. I have batoned with mine, and beaten the crap out of it. It is very sturdy. You don't need any of those heavy blades, a fixed blade that weighs a pound is dead weight. I carry a fixed blade and a small swiss army knife, and for that comment, they aren't junk. It is a small pocketknife, not meant to be used for cutting down trees or whatever. It is big enough to do feather sticks and handy around the camp chores. I have the one that is like 2 oz with a can opener and bigger blade.

Yukon
01-19-2011, 15:22
I'm getting the Bear Grylls knife when it comes out, it's awesome...

RGB
01-19-2011, 16:00
Swiss Army Knives are perhaps the most popular knives in the world, and likely the knives most commonly carried on the AT by experienced hikers.

Feel free to carry another type of knife, but a sensible model of Swiss Army Knife is certainly no joke.

Although Gerber is obviously the better knife, I have cleared about 3 miles of the Tanawha off the BRP with the little saw on my Swiss. Still sharp too.

BradMT
01-19-2011, 17:50
No I wasn't and I am sticking to what I have found out the hard way. Swiss are a joke, IMO. One can pick up a decent blade new or used for under $40 that will blow the Swiss Army knife away.

You're apparently hard of reading... you ASSUME I use a swiss knife. I use a CRKT Wrangler with the tiny Swiss Army Classic for it's tweezers and scissors.

Only a complete neophyte would hike on the AT with a Bear knife...

nox
01-19-2011, 18:26
Brad, you must be hard of reading also. This is posted in the General Gear Talk forum and in his first post he says that it looks like a good SURVIVAL KNIFE...

BradMT
01-19-2011, 18:31
Brad, you must be hard of reading also. This is posted in the General Gear Talk forum and in his first post he says that it looks like a good SURVIVAL KNIFE...

And my question to her, which she has yet to answer, is "survive what?"

As I said, I can find a better knife for any task that the Grylls Knife is supposed to do... what it excels at is a knife to kill fellow humans. But I'd always rather have a gun at a knife fight.

"Survival Knives" are one of the single biggest jokes in the knife world...

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2011, 21:43

Once again - they go dull fast, and they bend back under pressure and the pin is too small.

Mattel=toys. enjoy.

Trailbender
01-20-2011, 07:17
Once again - they go dull fast, and they bend back under pressure and the pin is too small.

Mattel=toys. enjoy.

Dulling fast is a general property of stainless steel blades. I carry a cut down diamond rod on the biner for this. I haven't noticed any of the things you state, however. If I had, I would have dumped it already. Are you trying to baton with a swiss army knife? It wasn't exactly designed for that. That would be like me trying to get 200 yard headshots with a Glock and calling it a piece of crap because it doesn't do it. Use your tools within their design parameters. I am not going to try to cut down a tree or baton with a tiny pocketknife.

Yukon
01-20-2011, 12:32
Only a complete neophyte would hike on the AT with a Bear knife...

Unless someone wants the knife because they just happen to like it. And if they want to carry it, that is their perogative. It's still a free country...for the most part. I usually carry a Leatherman Skeletool, but I think I will start carrying the Bear Grylls knife just despite you...

BradMT
01-20-2011, 12:44
Unless someone wants the knife because they just happen to like it. And if they want to carry it, that is their perogative. It's still a free country...for the most part. I usually carry a Leatherman Skeletool, but I think I will start carrying the Bear Grylls knife just despite you...

That should be "to spite you" not "just to despite you".

If you're gonna say dumb things you should get the correct...

BradMT
01-20-2011, 12:47
Aside, it is a wonderfully free country and we get to chose how silly we want to be...

BradMT
01-20-2011, 13:09
That should be "to spite you" not "just despite you".

If you're gonna say dumb things you should get them correct...

I may have good grammar but apparently can't spell :)

So there... ;)

Yukon
01-20-2011, 14:20
I may have good grammar but apparently can't spell :)

So there... ;)

Hahahaha, very nice :p

zelph
01-20-2011, 14:25
Grylls teamed with the knife expert Robert Bayely to make a knife design more to the survivor’s liking. Robert Bayely is known for making excellent custom survival knives that are sought after by collectors. By teaming up with Bear they could market the famous survival hosts name on top of the knife manufacturers reputation.

It's all in the advertising gimmick.

He'll put his face on a box of corn flakes just to make a buck.:)

Buy one, stimulate the economy.;)

Yukon
01-20-2011, 15:59
Buy one, stimulate the economy.;)

That is my intent :cool:

Trailbender
01-20-2011, 16:33
Bear Grylls is fake as hell, hopefully most people know that. Read the SAS survival manual and teach yourself, and you will be far ahead of most people.

BradMT
01-20-2011, 21:09
Bear Grylls is fake as hell, hopefully most people know that. Read the SAS survival manual and teach yourself, and you will be far ahead of most people.

Well yeah.

BradMT
01-20-2011, 21:09
Hahahaha, very nice :p

You're a good sport!

Wags
01-20-2011, 22:30
" at 7.22am on May 26th 1998, Bear entered The Guinness Book of Records as the youngest, and one of only around thirty, British climbers to have successfully climbed Everest and returned alive. He was only 23 years old.
The actual ascent took Bear over ninety days..."

Previously, in 1997, Bear had become the Youngest Briton to climb Mount Ama Dablam in the Himalayas (22,500 feet), a peak once described by Sir Edmund Hillary as unclimbable'

he suffered a free-fall parachuting accident in Africa where he broke his back in three places. After months and months of rehabilitation, focusing always on his childhood dream of Everest, he slowly became strong enough to attempt the ultimate ascent of the world's highest peak.

taken from http://www.beargrylls.com/biography.html

sounds like an absolute pussy to me...

Trailbender
01-20-2011, 23:00
" at 7.22am on May 26th 1998, Bear entered The Guinness Book of Records as the youngest, and one of only around thirty, British climbers to have successfully climbed Everest and returned alive. He was only 23 years old.
The actual ascent took Bear over ninety days..."

Previously, in 1997, Bear had become the Youngest Briton to climb Mount Ama Dablam in the Himalayas (22,500 feet), a peak once described by Sir Edmund Hillary as unclimbable'

he suffered a free-fall parachuting accident in Africa where he broke his back in three places. After months and months of rehabilitation, focusing always on his childhood dream of Everest, he slowly became strong enough to attempt the ultimate ascent of the world's highest peak.

taken from http://www.beargrylls.com/biography.html

sounds like an absolute pussy to me...

Don't know about his past, but his show is a joke, and most of the crap he does is stupid in a survival situation. Unfortunately, some sheeple might not realize that and actually try some of his techniques and get themselves killed.

Yukon
01-21-2011, 10:49
Don't know about his past, but his show is a joke, and most of the crap he does is stupid in a survival situation. Unfortunately, some sheeple might not realize that and actually try some of his techniques and get themselves killed.

He's still a bad ass makin' loads of money, more power to him!