PDA

View Full Version : Black flies

Chif
01-04-2011, 20:53
When is black fly and mosquito season in Maine? My daughter may be going on an outward bound trip this summer.

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2011, 20:56
f you live in northern New England, you know that starting around Mother’s
Day and ending around Father’s Day is black fly season.

Let's set the record straight: Maine's mosquitoes and black flies can be downright ferocious. In fact, black flies are so annoying that they even drive moose from the woods in an effort to escape their biting, and Maine humorist Tim Sample (http://www.timsample.com/) refers to mosquitoes as the unofficial state bird.

Blissful
01-04-2011, 23:50
They were gone July 1 this past summer except for a few in Baxter.

fredmugs
01-05-2011, 11:09
Glad to hear it. I start my next section hike in Maine on July 2nd.

Migrating Bird
01-05-2011, 11:56
I hiked Maine from the end of May thru June last year SOBO and there were NO bugs to speak of. Only used Bens once or twice - very early dry spring. It varies from year to year, 09 when my daughter and fiance thru hiked SOBO, one of the wettest Junes on record, the black flies were soo bad, that after 4 or 5 days of hiking and my daughter finally removed her headnet, one of their hiking companions exclaimed "So Lupine, thats what you look like!":)

Sugarfoot
01-05-2011, 14:00
I canoed the Allagash in Maine in May 1992, having never heard of black flies before. Living in Florida, I thought I knew about living with insects. The canoe liveryman said that the bugs never bothered him. That might be true, but by the end of the trip, my hands were so swollen that I had a hard time gripping the paddle. DEET slows them down but nothing defeats them.

mudhead
01-05-2011, 15:20
Glad to hear it. I start my next section hike in Maine on July 2nd.

Not to worry. I'll save a few skeeters for you. Or deerflies if you prefer.

I went roaring into a state park in sw FL. "I'm from Maine-I don't need any bug spray."

That went well.