PDA

View Full Version : Wifi in trail towns?

crazystick
01-04-2011, 21:02
Hi, I am going to be keeping a trailjournal on my blog of my 2011 hike.
I will be writing the bulk of the journal with handwriting because i really want to stay "unplugged" as much as possible. But I am also planning on taking my Ipod Touch with me, it is able to connect to WIFI so that I can video chat with my girlfriend who is unable to hike with me, and I will be able to update my blog from the ipod touch as well and email my friends and family.
So I am basically bringing the ipod touch instead of my cell phone.
now , i know alot of people use the computers at libraries along the way, and some hostels have computers that i hear need to be reserved usually.
But I need to know if most towns/hostels have somewhere that I can connect to a wifi network. anyone know?

couscous
01-05-2011, 16:15
I would guess nobody knows because it will take someone carrying an iPod Touch or netbook -- actively looking for and recording wifi hotspots -- until such a list is compiled. I have a Verizon MiFi 2200 so I create my own wifi network.

Sly
01-05-2011, 16:48
The Thru-hikers' Companion list quite a few establishments with Wifi, if not, Internet. The 2011 edition should be available from the ATC and on shelves in a couple weeks.

Ron Haven
01-05-2011, 21:27
Crazy Stick,
I have wi-fi and also computers for the hikers to use at my motels. Hiawassee Budget Inn formerly Hiawassee Inn and in Franklin at Budget Inn, Sapphire Inn and The Franklin Motel. Also in Hiawassee and Franklin Budget Inns we have laundry facilities and furnish free washing powders too.

couscous
01-05-2011, 22:56
The A.T. Guide also lists places where computers are available for internet access, but this doesn't guarantee WiFi availability. And there are probably places with WiFi that are not listed because they don't provide computers for internet access. Either way, getting a guide book and highlighting all the locations that provide internet access would help you plan your hostel and town stops.

BrianLe
01-06-2011, 04:03
What's particularly tricky here are the nuances.

One nuance is when the wi-fi offered by some establishments have some sort of security system that might or might not work with the browser on a more portable mobile device, i.e., that these assume some operating system or browser specific for a laptop. I've had this happen before where I stayed at a motel and got the password, couldn't get past the login screen with my smartphone, and of course the person at the reception desk had no knowledge other than what the password was. (note that I'm pretty sure that Ron Haven's places were not in that category; in general Ron treated us very well as I recall!)

Another nuance that some might be uncomfortable talking about is that sometimes you can find an unsecured wi-fi signal but no one to ask permission of to use. I'm sure that some hikers use such at times, but it's not something that IMO should be listed in a town guide (!), nor of course could such be depended on even if your own personal morality allowed you to tap in.

Related to this, I recall staying at one place that had password protected wi-fi but other hikers were camping not too far away, and the password had became an open secret.

Various aspects of reliability are a nuance in general. Just because one hiker found that wi-fi worked great at a particular place doesn't mean it's available 24/7; for example, maybe they turned their computer off at night.

And it's possible that the device that one hiker uses can deal with a fairly weak wi-fi signal better than can your device. Or that they stayed in a room on an upper west floor and you're staying in the same place on a lower east floor and get no signal.

All that said, I do think it would be great if some east coast AT enthusiast would compile and maintain a list of places with wi-fi, along perhaps with some of those nuances. Halfmile does this for the PCT, along with cell phone reception details as well. I would suggest his site (http://www.pctmap.net/cell/index.html) as a model.

Sly
01-06-2011, 04:34
Another nuance that some might be uncomfortable talking about is that sometimes you can find an unsecured wi-fi signal but no one to ask permission of to use. I'm sure that some hikers use such at times, but it's not something that IMO should be listed in a town guide (!), nor of course could such be depended on even if your own personal morality allowed you to tap in.

Rest assured any listing in the Companion is with permission of the business owner.

However, it is ironic you say use Halfmile's guide as a template because if you notice he noted the Saufley's neighbor has unsecured WifI. I'm sure they'd be thrilled to find out the hikers were using their bandwidth. :p

PS You can add the Anderson's in Green Valley to the list.

BrianLe
01-06-2011, 15:27
I suggested Halfmile as a model in general, not necessarily the exact specifics --- always good to look at what's already out there rather than reinventing the wheel.

I don't know the situation there; perhaps Halfmile wasn't thinking about that aspect for that particular item. He's just collecting text he gets from various folks who send it to him. I do know that he's a nice guy, who does a fair bit of work to make a lot of excellent trail resources available to folks for no personal gain.

As I said before, this "... might be uncomfortable talking about ...". Perhaps we could pretend that I was wiser yesterday and deleted that portion before sending? :-)
My point is that an AT-equivalent of Halfmile (if the East Coast were to generate someone like that) might want to look at what he provides as a guideline to volunteer-driven information.

Sly
01-06-2011, 15:34
I don't know the situation there; perhaps Halfmile wasn't thinking about that aspect for that particular item. He's just collecting text he gets from various folks who send it to him. I do know that he's a nice guy, who does a fair bit of .

It looks like an open Google doc to me where anyone with a link can add data. I tried to add the Anderson's but for some reason can't add a row to the sheet.