01-04-2011, 21:16
where would you go?

10-K
01-04-2011, 21:23
Manchester Center, VT hands down.

(Though I love living in Erwin, TN too)

Hikes in Rain
01-04-2011, 21:34
I grew up in a little town the size of Hot Springs, NC. Except it wasn't in the mountains. Nor on a Class III rafting river. It wasn't very cool, either. Come to think of it, the only thing similar was the size. But I think of living in Hot Springs sometimes.....

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 21:36
Jay, Vt. at the end of the Long trail. i lived there for 10 ski seasons. Damascus is the best AT trail town of all. tons to do besides just the AT and close to so much stuff

leaftye
01-04-2011, 21:39
Idyllwild.

mweinstone
01-04-2011, 21:44
i was born in the hell we call philadelphia so i must one day soon move to my beloved duncanon where they can fix me. i would live in the doyal. each morning i would bother tater, eat baconpancakes at trail angel marys, go to work panning gold on my beloved susquahanna. evenings would be spent makeing art in room 23. late nights would be spent playing poker in the bar for extra money.i would hide my gold in the spring at peters mountain shelter right behind the last blue blaze under the boulder. when my takings reached a million bucks in gold dust and nuggets, i would buy the doyal and restore it in pure gold guild from the river.i would build a huge roofdeck and throw partys for dignitarys who would gather there to see my art.pat and vicky gotta move out of that room and in with curtty. i need that space back for the warmer.

Iceaxe
01-04-2011, 21:48
PCT=Cascade locks/Hood River Oregon (Columbia River Gorge)
Stehekin Washington (North Cascades)
CDT=Pinedale, Wyoming (Wind River Range Baby!)
AT= I can't wait to find out!:)

Mags
01-04-2011, 22:21
Durango, CO at the SW terminus of the Colorado Trail.

Right near the heart of the the San Juans, close to the canyon country of Utah and a hop, skip and a jump from 'Four Corners' region in general.

(Though, where I live now ain't too bad....:) )

BrianLe
01-04-2011, 22:22
Don't forget Ashland, OR --- though a bit touristy and expensive, but nice. Stehekin would indeed be nice, but sort of cut off and no doubt expensive. In CA I liked Idylwild too, though also a bit touristy if I recall.

Nowhere along the AT, I think (?), as I don't like humidity --- we don't allow the stuff out west, apart from what falls on us in the NW. :-) Maybe somewhere in NH, VT, or MN would be okay, dunno. Maine felt more like the NW than anywhere else I've been on the east coast.

I liked the *people* all along both trails, so no insults intended, just a bias towards the sort of climate I'm more comfortable in.

erichkopp
01-04-2011, 23:52
Jay, Vt. at the end of the Long trail. i lived there for 10 ski seasons. Damascus is the best AT trail town of all. tons to do besides just the AT and close to so much stuff

Damascus is kind of what made me think of the question. Any place that calls itself "Trail Town, USA" has gotta have something going for it.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 23:54
Damascus is kind of what made me think of the question. Any place that calls itself "Trail Town, USA" has gotta have something going for it.

more long distance AT hikers live here than any other town near or on the AT

Mountain Maiden
01-04-2011, 23:57
I grew up in a little town the size of Hot Springs, NC. Except it wasn't in the mountains. Nor on a Class III rafting river. It wasn't very cool, either. Come to think of it, the only thing similar was the size. But I think of living in Hot Springs sometimes.....

Hot Springs is "it" for me! Stayed here 5 days during my thru..fell in love with the town and the people who live here. After completing my hike, I came here FORTY times in the next six years. People used to ask me, "Why do you go to HS all the time? WHAT is in HS, anyway?!"

I said, "NOTHING! that's why I love it!" (actually, there is LOTS here but it is not for everyone--Thank Goodness!)

Now, I've had a business and home here for two years. No regrets, no complaints. I love it! Hope this is my "forever place!"
:sun

Blissful
01-05-2011, 00:04
Harpers Ferry

ki0eh
01-05-2011, 00:23
I did live in Boiling Springs, still kinda miss it.

Torch09
01-05-2011, 01:48
Hey! I wanted to start a thread like this. After my thru this year I'm gonna finally move out of Indiana and I'd love to get closer to the mountains I love.

RayBan
01-05-2011, 02:04

You're just saying that because you eat and have adult beverages at Quincy's...

takethisbread
01-05-2011, 05:28
Boiling Springs looks like a pretty nice town, centrally located on the AT so you can section anywhere reasonably, and is hikeable 12 months a year.
Damascus, Falls Village, Pawling, Great barrington (all very nice also) and nothing north of that, too cold.

southpaw95
01-05-2011, 06:36
I'm living in my favorite trail town, CATAWBA VA.

So close to Dragon's Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs! and we visit the HOMEPLACE so often the waitresses know us by name!

It is also close to Blacksburg VA, home of the VA TECH HOKIES.

What else is needed in this world?

Mrs Baggins
01-05-2011, 07:23
Harpers Ferry

I love Harpers Ferry. :D I feel blessed to live as close to it as I do.

Sly
01-05-2011, 07:40
more long distance AT hikers live here than any other town near or on the AT

My money is on Asheville, NC

fredmugs
01-05-2011, 11:14
Durango, CO at the SW terminus of the Colorado Trail.

Right near the heart of the the San Juans, close to the canyon country of Utah and a hop, skip and a jump from 'Four Corners' region in general.

(Though, where I live now ain't too bad....:) )

Great thread. Once I can finally retire I plan to move the hell out of Indiana and somewhere closer to hiking and biking options but west of the Mississippi. A friend of mine in NM suggested Durango.

Hopefully I can finish the AT this year and start doing some recon in places like Durango to scout places to retire to.

Ron Haven
01-05-2011, 21:58
i was born in the hell we call philadelphia so i must one day soon move to my beloved duncanon where they can fix me. i would live in the doyal. each morning i would bother tater, eat baconpancakes at trail angel marys, go to work panning gold on my beloved susquahanna. evenings would be spent makeing art in room 23. late nights would be spent playing poker in the bar for extra money.i would hide my gold in the spring at peters mountain shelter right behind the last blue blaze under the boulder. when my takings reached a million bucks in gold dust and nuggets, i would buy the doyal and restore it in pure gold guild from the river.i would build a huge roofdeck and throw partys for dignitarys who would gather there to see my art.pat and vicky gotta move out of that room and in with curtty. i need that space back for the warmer.That Hell hole you were borned in deserve respect. It is the city of brotherly love. My sisters that hate me so bad agrees too....!!!!

Cookerhiker
01-05-2011, 22:13
Woodstock, VT - but I never could afford it. So I'd settle for Rutland, VT. I like everything about New England and VT in particular. So why aren't I there now instead of living farther away from the AT than ever in my life?:-? Long story...

I did live for 2 1/2 years in Frostburg, MD, a nice trail town for the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org). Wouldn't mind returning there.

Jim Adams
01-05-2011, 23:45
Hot Springs...nuff said.

geek

johnnyblisters
01-06-2011, 00:25
Woodstock, VT - but I never could afford it. So I'd settle for Rutland, VT. I like everything about New England and VT in particular. So why aren't I there now instead of living farther away from the AT than ever in my life?:-? Long story...

I did live for 2 1/2 years in Frostburg, MD, a nice trail town for the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org). Wouldn't mind returning there.

Been in Frostburg for the past 4 years, great town and great biking!

NerdyJohn
01-06-2011, 01:58
When I retire, I'm off to Asheville or Boone, NC.

MedicineMan
01-06-2011, 04:11
You wouldn't consider Roan Mountain a trail town? I love the climate ~high ever on my deck is 78F~ It's always green and/or green and white :) Population size is very attractive. 2 hours from Charlotte if you need a plane...Tri-cities close enough for work or shopping, and of course one of the best stretches of trail anywhere.

Sly
01-06-2011, 04:44
When I retire, I'm off to Asheville or Boone, NC.

And before anyone says Asheville isn't a true trail town, the MST goes right through it. In one place I lived, within a quarter mile I could be on trail all the way to Maine.

Sly
01-06-2011, 04:48
You wouldn't consider Roan Mountain a trail town? I love the climate ~high ever on my deck is 78F~ It's always green and/or green and white :) Population size is very attractive. 2 hours from Charlotte if you need a plane...Tri-cities close enough for work or shopping, and of course one of the best stretches of trail anywhere.

Roan Mountain is a great area. If it weren't for the nasty parking reputation...

(I think the ATC and TEHCC addressed the other problems in the area)

garlic08
01-06-2011, 10:27
Great thread. Once I can finally retire I plan to move the hell out of Indiana and somewhere closer to hiking and biking options but west of the Mississippi. A friend of mine in NM suggested Durango.

Hopefully I can finish the AT this year and start doing some recon in places like Durango to scout places to retire to.

I agree with Mags, too, about Durango. If you have an extra half million, it's a great place to buy a house and retire!

Serial 07
01-06-2011, 10:39
Damascus! it's a great little town with tons of hiking all around, no car needed...my 3 hour radius from here provides all the outdoor adventure one could ask for...

if not here, i'd like to check out great barrington, MA...not sure if i could live there, but that town was awesome when i stopped in on my thru...

rambunny
01-06-2011, 10:46
while it's not for everyone-my little 10 acres of heaven abutting the AT corridor is in Atkins Va.Love it!

sbhikes
01-06-2011, 11:39
Idyllwild would be great because all the thru-hikers have that burning fire in their eyes. The dream has begun and they are loving every minute of it.

I've wanted to live in Lone Pine for at least half my life.

It turns out I sort of live in a trail town already, almost right on the trail. On a bike trail, the Pacific Coast Trail. I've thought of putting it out there that my back yard and shower are available to thru-riders (not sure what terms the bicyclers use.)

BAG "o" TRICKS
01-06-2011, 11:47

You must love day and night hiking too;)

BAG "o" TRICKS
01-06-2011, 11:55
i was born in the hell we call philadelphia so i must one day soon move to my beloved duncanon where they can fix me. i would live in the doyal. each morning i would bother tater, eat baconpancakes at trail angel marys, go to work panning gold on my beloved susquahanna. evenings would be spent makeing art in room 23. late nights would be spent playing poker in the bar for extra money.i would hide my gold in the spring at peters mountain shelter right behind the last blue blaze under the boulder. when my takings reached a million bucks in gold dust and nuggets, i would buy the doyal and restore it in pure gold guild from the river.i would build a huge roofdeck and throw partys for dignitarys who would gather there to see my art.pat and vicky gotta move out of that room and in with curtty. i need that space back for the warmer.

Now that's livin' Matty.

Slo-go'en
01-06-2011, 12:23
I'm suprised no one has said the Gorham, NH area.

Of course, you need to enjoy winter and don't expect to find a job if you do move here. But then, thats true of pretty much every trail town. I love having the White Mountains as my back yard.

hikersc1
01-06-2011, 12:28
Hot Springs for me. I go there as much as I can, once or twice a year. It might also be the closest to me being from the flatlands of Charleston,SC about 4 1/2 hours away.

10-K
01-06-2011, 13:40
You must love day and night hiking too;)

Manchester Center, VT is the only town I didn't want to leave when it was time to go.... I thought I was going to cry. I did stay an extra day longer than I planned.

The nicest people, the best bookstore on the trail, great coffee, really good places to eat, 2 very helpful outfitters, any kind of resupply you can dream of, etc., etc., etc.

Jeff
01-06-2011, 18:01
Hey 10-K,

Completely agree with you!!! Manchester is a terrific (tho pricey) trail town. Lots of Long Trail hikers come thru as well.

10-K
01-06-2011, 19:42
Hey 10-K,

Completely agree with you!!! Manchester is a terrific (tho pricey) trail town. Lots of Long Trail hikers come thru as well.

Maybe we can do a house swap if you ever want to visit down south? :)

mweinstone
01-06-2011, 20:49
there goes 10k again. bein like jester. lovin bookstores like there fine women.lol.i beleive you two need to meet. seriously.if alian abductions are real, you two were in the same exsperoment .lol.
10k, you sound like fun. i wanna hike with you someday. or at least meet at an event and talk trash. or at least exstend an open invitation for you and your guest to see the fabulose room 23 at the warmer.very few have ventured into the unknown regions of that part of doyalopia.heres what you will need in such an environ:

a working understanding of the game tarlin toss
a healthy appetite for exotic candys
a camera to document your exsperience
something to drink from
an apreciation for art
proof of rabies vaccination for your dog
signed permmission slip or recipt of 5$ payment from vicky for floorspace if staying the night.

note: rm 23 is approx 7'x 10' with an occupancy maximum of 17 and a sleeping maximum of 14

Torch09
01-06-2011, 22:38
What's the job market lookin like in Damascus?

Lone Wolf
01-06-2011, 22:40
What's the job market lookin like in Damascus?

there ain't none

mweinstone
01-06-2011, 22:45
they got a job flee market but it closed and now theres just a job roadside stand. they got jobs like, go get a job job and there aint no jobs job and other very low entry level positions such as penny picker upper and sip of soda finder.the last good job went last week. it was lost umbrella finder.

mweinstone
01-06-2011, 22:47
you want job jokes i got a sac full here.

there a buck.

Torch09
01-06-2011, 23:31
there ain't none

sounds like my kind of place!

BigHodag
01-06-2011, 23:37
Still sectioning the AT, but I liked my rest stop in Boiling Springs.

garbanz
01-06-2011, 23:48
Last August I backpacked the beautiful Wonderland Trail, Goat Rocks, Mt St Helens on a 2 week backpacking vacation. Washington State is a backpacker's paradise. The roads in Mt Rainier National Park have mega pulloffs to trailheads. I would like to live out there between Snowqualmie and Seattle!

Desert Beacon
01-07-2011, 00:59
I agree with Mags, too, about Durango. If you have an extra half million, it's a great place to buy a house and retire!
Grew up in Mississippi. First backpacks were on AT in Great Smokies. Living in Durango for 19 years. Got priced out. Moved a tad wet to Montezuma County (near Cortez). Much better deal for the price. Same mountains and trails, though way more conservative, politically speaking.

RITBlake
01-07-2011, 01:33
Kent, CT. A beautiful town surrounded by a beautiful stretch of trail

IronGutsTommy
01-12-2011, 19:29
Luray, Virginia. Perhaps limited as far as work, but since the subject was best to LIVE, id say Luray. has a great greenway, a paved riverwalk along hawksbill that goes for 2 miles. theres also lots of benches and paintings along it. also, youve got a walmart, food lion, movie theater, plenty of restaurants and watering holes, an outfitter, low cost housing. bases basically covered. good place for some down time. worst place would probably be Harpers Ferry, WV. nice place to visit but living there would kinda blow as most places (including BARS!!!!) close around 5pm during the week, theres only one single place that serves breakfast, and the only resupply/grocery is a 7-11. sure theres a relatively cheap bus system thatll swing you to charles town for groceries and whatnot but what kinda home is a town that caters so much to tourists that locals are thrown by the wayside.. a bar closing at 5pm on a Monday night football monday?? jeez.

Luddite
01-12-2011, 19:34
Moab, Utah or an even smaller town like Hanksville, Utah. Way out in the middle of canyon country. Or Alaska, naturally.

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-12-2011, 21:09
Caratunk, ME! Not much there in terms of a town, but the Trail runs through it... and there is rafting/kayaking, fishing etc. on the beautiful Kennebec River...

Mags
01-12-2011, 22:20
Grew up in Mississippi. First backpacks were on AT in Great Smokies. Living in Durango for 19 years. Got priced out. Moved a tad wet to Montezuma County (near Cortez). Much better deal for the price. Same mountains and trails, though way more conservative, politically speaking.

Friend of mine (prof at Ft. Lewis) lives just east of Durango in Bayfield.

She owns a modest home on her modest salary.

Close enough for my tastes...nice area and not that far from Durango. Her community abuts USFS land and could fairly easily hike into the heart of the San Juans.

Cookerhiker
01-12-2011, 22:32
..... Or Alaska, naturally.

Based on my trip there this summer my first choice there would probably be Seward on the Kenai Peninsula. The town itself has sufficient amenities. You've got the Kenai Fjords National Park, you can hike across the peninsula to the north shore town of Hope by piecing together 3 long trails, you can get the Alaskan RR train to Anchorage for a taste of city life or on to Denali. An 1-1.5 hour's drive gets you to other trails on the peninsula. Homer, also on the Kenai, is accessible via boats across Kachmak Bay to a network of trails and backcountry cabins.

My choice on the Panhandle is Haines where you can catch the ferry to Skagway to hike the Chilkoot Trail or drive to Haines Junction in Canada and hike Kluane National Park.

Alaska is very expensive though. And the winters feature mostly dark days. Living in the winter, in addition to X-Country skiing, it would be cool to go dog sledding.

Red Hat
01-12-2011, 22:37
Lots of places in VT that looked like they would be nice, but I really don't like so much ice and snow.... so I'd pick somewhere more south, like Hiawassee, Franklin, Erwin, or Damascus.

double d
01-12-2011, 23:02

Haaaaaaaa you beat me to it, so I'll 2nd it: Manchester Center is a great trail town, very cool place.

Boomer1ny
01-13-2011, 00:11
Palmerton PA...any place they'll let me outta jail in morning is cool!

mweinstone
01-13-2011, 00:35
boomer , you may have the lowest post count for the most years here. how did you do it? im guessing your related to tank. he never talks.lol.

daddytwosticks
01-13-2011, 08:43
Red Hat...if you don't like ice and snow, stay away from those southern towns...at least for this year! :)

Terry7
01-14-2011, 10:04
Damascus Va