PDA

View Full Version : the dedicated bacon thread

mweinstone
01-04-2011, 21:20
any off bacon topic posts will be deleted by sly or his days makeing love to mattys bacon pancakes are over.

now, how bout how bacon smells,,....say....on your last day in the smokeys. or for that matter,..most trail mornings? thats right you smell bacon. the powers of perswasive psycohypnotic bacon suggestion is strong with this one.

use the bacon luke. use the bacon.
beware the burnt side luke.
remember, your bacon focus determins your reality young anikin.

mweinstone
01-04-2011, 21:22
our first topic is the panepidemic of precooked bacon.it is fools play for the bacon timid.

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 21:22
Turkey bacon for me;).

mweinstone
01-04-2011, 21:30
oh god! that was my other topic! the horror of swinelessness! turkey bacon only exists as a medical alternitive for the severly bacon impaired. it is useless and only placebo bacon. your fooling yourself.

come back, come back to bacon

only you can prevent turkey bacon

just say no to turkey bacon

when i was a child i ate turkey baconas a child, now i have becom a man and eat bacon.proverbs :b3

the love of turkey bacon is the root of all evil

..whether tiz nobeler to suffer the slings and arrows of turkey bacon...

when in doubt, throw the turkey bacon out

whos affraid of the big bad bacon?

Boothill
01-04-2011, 21:49
for all your bacon spread needs

boot

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=479522504083&set=a.479521794083.266411.848644083&ref=nf

Fog Horn
01-04-2011, 21:53
Bacon is something I am horribly petrified of for my thru I'm planning. I'm not planning on cooking breakfast (oatmeal is fine with me). I'm terrified I'm going to get out there, smell someone else making bacon, and have my heart ripped out on each whiff.

I love bacon. So very very much.

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2011, 21:56
oh god! that was my other topic! the horror of swinelessness! turkey bacon only exists as a medical alternitive for the severly bacon impaired. it is useless and only placebo bacon. your fooling yourself.

come back, come back to bacon

only you can prevent turkey bacon

just say no to turkey bacon

when i was a child i ate turkey baconas a child, now i have becom a man and eat bacon.proverbs :b3

the love of turkey bacon is the root of all evil

..whether tiz nobeler to suffer the slings and arrows of turkey bacon...

when in doubt, throw the turkey bacon out

whos affraid of the big bad bacon?

http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/animations/turkey_agreeing_with_sign_lg_wht.gif

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 22:03
http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/animations/turkey_agreeing_with_sign_lg_wht.gif

Cholesterol issue;)I love real bacon!

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2011, 22:59
Take pills-eat bacon.... you only live once.

Helios
01-04-2011, 22:59
http://bakonvodka.com/

http://www.baconfreak.com/

http://www.royalbaconsociety.com/2010/04/12/i-love-bacon-undies/

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 23:01
Take pills-eat bacon.... you only live once.

:eek::sun:-?:o:(:confused::mad::)

I do, still have to be careful!!!:banana

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 23:04
Bacon is something I am horribly petrified of for my thru I'm planning. I'm not planning on cooking breakfast (oatmeal is fine with me). I'm terrified I'm going to get out there, smell someone else making bacon, and have my heart ripped out on each whiff.

I love bacon. So very very much.

stay clear of me then cuz i usually have bacon and eggs the first few days out of a town. and i don't share

Fog Horn
01-04-2011, 23:09
stay clear of me then cuz i usually have bacon and eggs the first few days out of a town. and i don't share

LOL lucky for me you're hiking this year and not next ;) If I was anywhere near you on the trail I'd have to relent and pack my own. No way could I smell bacon every day and not eat it. My mom even had to send me cans of bacon in care packages (not as great as the real stuff, but not awful)

Megapixel
01-04-2011, 23:09

Hey Lone Wolf, what kind of mess kit do you use to cook up that glorious breakfast?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 23:11
Hey Lone Wolf, what kind of mess kit do you use to cook up that glorious breakfast?

just a little non-stick fry pan

LoneRidgeRunner
01-04-2011, 23:16
Now why did you have to go and mention bacon when I was trying to plan on no frying at breakfast?...LOL...

kayak karl
01-04-2011, 23:16
for diner tonite i had Spam Chop Suey. there was no bacon!!!!! i'm out of bacon.:(

Lone Wolf
01-04-2011, 23:18
Now why did you have to go and mention bacon when I was trying to plan on no frying at breakfast?...LOL...

at least til damascus you gotta have bacon some mornings

LoneRidgeRunner
01-04-2011, 23:21
at least til damascus you gotta have bacon some mornings

Ok Wolf..I understand you can see the trail from your house at Damascus so throw me a slice or 2 when you see me walk by ..lol..:banana

kayak karl
01-04-2011, 23:24
Ok Wolf..I understand you can see the trail from your house at Damascus so throw me a slice or 2 when you see me walk by ..lol..:banana
why? what makes you special?

LoneRidgeRunner
01-04-2011, 23:28
why? what makes you special?

Cause I love bacon..lol..

kayak karl
01-04-2011, 23:30
Cause I love bacon..lol..
then buy LW breakfast! if you can?

LoneRidgeRunner
01-04-2011, 23:31
then buy LW breakfast! if you can?

Works for me if I get bacon...

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 20:48
Does anyone recall "Kentucky Brian" from his NoBo 2010 hike. He's not on this site. He was this awesome guy hiking with close to 100lbs on his back of car camping gear. He had giant tarps, full size stove and propane bottles, at least 4 quilts, a camp chair, a lb of weed, and 6lbs of bacon.. Haha, he was so eager to get rid of all that bacon. When I think of bacon and the AT, I think of him..

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 23:32
lmao .thats funny.now stop. im eating navy beans without bacon.

Fog Horn
01-08-2011, 23:34
I've got two packs of bacon in my freezer matty, you're welcome to use it in your beans!

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 23:39
im never eatin bacon again. im on the governments no bacon list.

Fog Horn
01-08-2011, 23:44
At least you are not on the government cheese list :)

hobbs
01-08-2011, 23:50
They have a Bacon choc now. A desert for the king of bacon!!!

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 23:52
jesters mom makes us bacon peanutbuter chocolat chip chocolate cookies. better.

Bearpaw
01-09-2011, 13:45
our first topic is the panepidemic of precooked bacon.it is fools play for the bacon timid.

Precooked bacon may look funny, and seem funny when it comes out of a plastic bag, but it's still damned tasty.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Pinhoti%20Dec%2010/020.jpg

Of course the real thing frying away in a skillet is hard to beat.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Mammoth%20Cave%20Oct%2009/027a.jpg

Bacon. It's what's for breakfast.

And lunch.

And sometimes dinner.

And occasionally a snack too.

Just sayin'.

gunner76
01-09-2011, 17:06
Real hikers eat bacon

rdljr
01-09-2011, 19:09
Bacon, My wife knows I love it almost as much as I love her. So for Christmas she got me Bacon flavored jellybeans so I could have the flavor I love while I drive. No cooking when driving. I was so happy until I tried them. Yuck is the nicest thing I can say about them. Real bacon crispy not burnt it's what food should be.
RDL

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 22:13
when i was a child, my mother had an old ricepaper book called the story of roast pig. in it, the father goes to town and the son burns down the hut with the pig in it and dad sticks his hand in the pig to see if its dead and gets burned and licks his fingers. then in glee he shows the emporer and when he burns down the castle to cook pig and finds it delishous, he decrees everyone burn their house to cook pig. it was over 100 years old and a chinese or japaneese fable thousands of years old. tru.

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 22:17
heres part of a rewrite by another author

Mankind, says a Chinese manuscript, which my friend M. was obliging enough to read and explain to me, for the first seventy thousand ages ate their meat raw, clawing it or biting it from the living animal, just as they do in Abyssinia to this day. This period is not obscurely hinted at by their great Confucius in the second chapter of his Mundane Mutations, where he designates a kind of golden age by the term Cho-fang, literally the Cooks' holiday.

The manuscript goes on to say, that the art of roasting, or rather broiling (which I take to be the elder brother) was accidentally discovered in the manner following. The swineherd, Ho-ti, having gone out into the woods one morning, as his manner was, to collect mast for his hogs, left his cottage in the care of his eldest son Bo-bo, a great lubberly boy, who being fond of playing with fire, as younkers of his age commonly are, let some sparks escape into a bundle of straw, which kindling quickly, spread the conflagration over every part of their poor mansion, till it was reduced to ashes.

sbhikes
01-10-2011, 23:15
I just saw on the news a local bakery that makes maple glazed donuts with bacon crumbles on top. Donuts AND bacon. Wow!

Awol1970
01-10-2011, 23:29
Bacon is a wonderful thing. If I cook 1/2 lbs of bacon, I eat 1/2 lbs of bacon. If I cook 2 lbs bacon, I eat 2 lbs bacon.:rolleyes:

The AYCE breakfast buffet at Amicalola Lodge.... prolly 10 lbs of bacon there and I have to be carted out.

the goat
01-11-2011, 11:55
home of the greatest bacon on god's green earth: http://www.nueskes.com/

DrRichardCranium
01-11-2011, 13:16
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DCaK9bjLy3v4&v=CaK9bjLy3v4&gl=US

Hikes in Rain
01-11-2011, 13:27
when i was a child, my mother had an old ricepaper book called the story of roast pig. in it, the father goes to town and the son burns down the hut with the pig in it and dad sticks his hand in the pig to see if its dead and gets burned and licks his fingers. then in glee he shows the emporer and when he burns down the castle to cook pig and finds it delishous, he decrees everyone burn their house to cook pig. it was over 100 years old and a chinese or japaneese fable thousands of years old. tru.

I remember reading that story way back when I was a kid! Thanks, Mattie!

chiefiepoo
01-11-2011, 13:54
Looking for canned bacon like I used to be able to buy at general store years ago. It was a vacuum packed, Danish import, IIRC, with a key opener. Any ideas where to look? Couldn't find it on bacon freak.

Hikes in Rain
01-11-2011, 16:28
I remember that bacon from when I was a kid. DAK, I think the brand name was. Even came wrapped in (really greasy after all that time in the can) paper, which made a terrific fire starter. I remember it being really salty, but good. Haven't seen it in decades, though.

Sly
01-11-2011, 18:13
any off bacon topic posts will be deleted by sly or his days makeing love to mattys bacon pancakes are over.

I would man but I'm not a mod of this forum. :D

Your bacon is the best and always will be. Matty the Baconator! Hip, Hip, Hooray! :banana

chiefiepoo
01-11-2011, 18:55
I remember that bacon from when I was a kid. DAK, I think the brand name was. Even came wrapped in (really greasy after all that time in the can) paper, which made a terrific fire starter. I remember it being really salty, but good. Haven't seen it in decades, though.
Yeah, DAK was the name. And there was also a canned "brown nut cake" that we would warm up in the fire for a dessert. Might have been left over WW II stuff that was converted to civilian market.

mweinstone
01-11-2011, 19:08
bm the makers of baked beans, make brown bread in a can. its cooked in the can and has a shelf life of yoda to the 5th power.really good rib glue.

chiefiepoo
01-11-2011, 19:28
Can't help myself. Going to make blueberry pancakes and BACON for dinner. I'll go to a meeting afterward.

mweinstone
01-11-2011, 19:41
hi , my name is mat, im a bacaholic.

hi mat!

in aa its sober
in na its clean

mat, bacaholic, free one day.
hi mat!

the twelve strip program welcomes our newest member, mat.

Newb
01-12-2011, 14:02
Does salt-pork count? It's from the belly. YOu could hike like a civil war soldier and carry salt-pork and hard-tack. Supplement with pine bark and freaky roots and stuff. pine tea. bugs. salt pork fried with hard tack and bugs. Bacony porky goodness in your Sno-peak pan.

Hikes in Rain
01-12-2011, 14:25
Certainly salt pork counts. It's like unsmoked bacon, except really salty. Best thing for chowders.

russb
01-12-2011, 17:58
Just got home from the german butcher a few minutes ago with a pound of smoked bacon. This stuff is awesome; makes the store bought stuff taste like salted lard.

chiefiepoo
01-12-2011, 18:00
Does salt-pork count? It's from the belly. YOu could hike like a civil war soldier and carry salt-pork and hard-tack. Supplement with pine bark and freaky roots and stuff. pine tea. bugs. salt pork fried with hard tack and bugs. Bacony porky goodness in your Sno-peak pan.
Tried something like this on a 180 mile C&O canal bike ride. As I was going along the Potomac and passing many CW sites I thought I'd get into the era with some period foods. Salt pork, dry salami, grits, oat meal, corn meal fire cake, sassafrass tea, beans, cowboy coffee. Found some berries along the way and apples in old farmsteads. Thought better of foraging out into the towns to bag an errant chicken or small mammal, me being a yankee and all. Very happy to end up in DC for Budwisers and enchiladas the last day.

RadioFreq
01-12-2011, 18:48
Christmas day family and friends all gathered at our house. After the dedicated gifts had been passed out and opened we all gathered in the living room for the annual "Christmas Dice Game". All participants (in this case there were about 15 of us) are asked to go out and buy low cost gifts that are wrapped and put in a pile in the middle of the floor. Then two sets of two dice go around the room in opposite directions with everyone trying to throw doubles. If you do roll a double you get to pick any present from the pile. Once all the presents are distributed the game goes any extra 15 minutes with each person who rolls a double "stealing" a present from some other person's pile. As is usually the case there are one or two presents that for no particular reason become very popular and exchange hands numerous times. One of those was brought by my daughter, Niclole, who I should point out has a somewhat twisted sense of humor....like me. Anyway, my daughter-in-law, Amy, was fixated on that box and whenever she rolled doubles she grabbed it. This despite the fact that Nicole, who was sitting right next to her kept whispering in her ear, "You're not going to like it." Finally the timer went off ending the game and everyone demanded to know just what was inside. The contents were:

Bacon Jelly Beans
Bacon Hot Sauce
Bacon Gum Balls
Bacon Lip Balm
Bacon Flavored Microwave Popcorn
Bacon Soap
Bacon Bandages
Effervescent Bacon Drink Tablets (remember "Fizzies"?)

Amy, while amused, had no intention of trying any of the items. Her husband (my son), Tom had other ideas. He immediately began tasting the edibles (I use that term loosely) and passing out samples to any other brave souls. I, unfortunately, was one of them. The popcorn was actually not that bad. I can't say the same for the rest. By far the worst was the Bacon "Fizzies". They took forever to finish fizzing and the taste reminded me of that stuff the doctor gives you to drink to flush your system the day before you go in for a proctology exam.

But in the end a good time was had by all.

mweinstone
01-12-2011, 21:13
thats a good game. i like it. i wanna play it someday. the bacon stuff for sale is a rip. i wish it didnt exist solely as impulce items and had flavor. the bacon band aids are the single best thing cause there not tryin to be food. very sheek. jesters mom gave them to me. as far as saltpork, aka fat back is concerned, i allways felt sorry for us as a peoples . salt pork just aint right. any dish made with it can be made with bacon better. uncured bacon if you wish. but salt pork says cheap to me. kinda like i feel about chitlins. i just wish folks had better choices. if you created the most unhealthy diet possible from our markets, and added enough things to call it balanced, it would kill us.it would containe all the worst foods and bug juice to drink. it would have tiny portions cause the salt levels are so high. and it would be a cold hard salty old diet that would make hikers cry like babys for freash spam and tang.

Amberalicia
01-13-2011, 10:24
Remember, Lone Wolf doesn't share his bacon.

IceAge
01-13-2011, 12:30
Looking for canned bacon like I used to be able to buy at general store years ago. It was a vacuum packed, Danish import, IIRC, with a key opener. Any ideas where to look? Couldn't find it on bacon freak.

You can get "Tac-Bac" - tactical bacon, form thinkgeek here: http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/bacon/c399/

mweinstone
01-16-2011, 20:11
there is bad bacon between us. the can and i. the day freash bacon is no longer, is the day the can dies!hahahhha! and his minions the bags too! haha !

chiefiepoo
01-16-2011, 21:16
You can get "Tac-Bac" - tactical bacon, form thinkgeek here: http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/bacon/c399/
wow, and it lasts 10 years. thanks for the link

Tinker
01-16-2011, 21:52

Nine ounce can makes approx 18 servings.

RIGHT! :rolleyes:

They apparantly don't know too many hikers.

I'm feeling sort of sad right now.:(

Blood pressure is up so had to drop greasy foods from diet.

Help!:o

WingedMonkey
01-16-2011, 21:53
I can't find them local any more, but Wall Mart use to carry microwave Rudolph pork rinds. They came in a bag like popcorn and you nucked them 'till they "popped".

mweinstone
01-17-2011, 01:37
dear winged monkey
please refrane from vulgarity . this is a house of bacon worship.

mweinstone
01-17-2011, 01:45
some of our parishners have been mumbeling about other forms of bacon. for the purpose of putting non freash bacon topics to rest once and for all, we will have a breif discussion of the imposibility of pre cooked bacon products.

bacon cooking is the odor of our youth. the scent of sunday. the crux of cook.

freash bacon slices bought today are tomorows heros.

bacon drippings from freash bacon fueled the industrial revolution and fuels the future.

war between peoples of bacon and non bacon eating sociatys can only be made more deadly by new forms of smart bacon.

Panzer1
01-17-2011, 03:47
today I had both double smoked bacon and pepperoni pizza. :D

Panzer

IceAge
01-17-2011, 12:02
Did you put the bacon on the pizza?

Tinker
01-17-2011, 12:06
today I had both double smoked bacon and pepperoni pizza. :D

Panzer

And so the torture continues. I'm about to sue the website on the grounds of mental cruelty.

I can see it now - as soon as my blood pressure is back to normal I'll be nowhere to be seen, hidden in some dark room engaging in a personal bacon orgy! :D

But now, alas, I must refrain..................:(

IceAge
01-17-2011, 12:06
That reminds me, no one bring up so-called Canadian bacon, or Matty will start talking about invading Canada and forcibly converting them, like the Spanish Inquisition.

CrumbSnatcher
01-17-2011, 12:17
I need to get my eyes checked, at first glance i thought it said
''the deleted bacon thread'' i was thinking WOW they went too far now!:D

wvgrinder
01-19-2011, 15:01
Classic! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1leLgTr9ytw

Old Hiker
01-19-2011, 15:03
That reminds me, no one bring up so-called Canadian bacon, or Matty will start talking about invading Canada and forcibly converting them, like the Spanish Inquisition.

No one expects the Bacon Inquisition.

mweinstone
01-28-2011, 21:36
a supermarket bacon moritorium is in effect. only butchershop bacon should be consumed untill further notice due to concerns over grossness. not to mention slime.

jlo
01-28-2011, 22:37
I love bacon....and thanks to boothill, I'm going to have to get me some baconaisse!
So much for being satisfied with oatmeal....

gunner76
01-29-2011, 19:37
There is no bad bacon. The Hungry Man meal I had for lunch at work has bacon in the green beans, good stuff.

mweinstone
01-29-2011, 19:40
hungry man for lunch? please exsplane. you nuke a tv dinner at work for lunch? thats not food is it? what is it? i belive its just butter holding the shape of food. or maby margerine. right?

Boothill
03-11-2011, 12:03
for everything bacon

http://www.mcphee.com/shop/categories/Awesome-Stuff/Bacon-%26-Meat/

boot

sixhusbands
03-11-2011, 12:21
When I was in the boy scouts back in the 60's , we had canned bacon. The term that you will eat anything if you are hungry enough does not hold true for that stuff. It was just bad and we burried it like good scouts would.
I found a can of the bacon recently and gave it another try. same result and I will never try it again! some things you just don't mess with.

skooch
03-11-2011, 13:49
Bless me father for I have sinned! I'm becoming a bacon convert! I made the bacon, brown sugar and cayenne recipe some wonderful person posted (please forgive me for not remembering your name.) I wasn't even trying to remember the recipe but I couldn't get it out of my mind. It was so delicious. OH THE HORROR! A poor pig died for my indiscretion.

Rasty
07-25-2011, 20:53
I dare to say it! Citterio Pancetta is the greatest Bacon ever. Italian cured rolled pork belly. Never smoked. No sugar. Just pure unadulterated Bacon. Eat with eggs, pasta, pizza, grits, etc. If you have a favorite Italian restaurant chances are they use Roma foods and can get. Each roll weighs about six pounds which will make a few meals.

gpburdelljr
07-27-2011, 20:18
Do bears like bacon as much as people? Will they work extra hard to get into your food bag?

Rasty
07-28-2011, 11:54
Found out the hard way in the Adirondacks that bears like cigarettes. Did not have them in bear canister. A bear took my pack and chewed a hole through to get my smokes. Tooth holes in the cigarettes. I still smoked them figuring the bear was clean enough. I just hope the bear was 18 or older so no charges for contributing to the delinquency of a bear.

DLANOIE
07-28-2011, 12:16
Do bears like bacon as much as people? Will they work extra hard to get into your food bag?

Does a bear REALLY have to "work hard" to get into a food bag?

soul patch
08-03-2011, 16:34
so i wrapped a pork tenderloin in bacon and grilled it this past weekend over hickory. oh my. pork marinated in pork.
i have wanted to tell someone all week but couldnt find the proper peer group, untill now. whewww i feel better.
thanks WB.