PDA

View Full Version : Dried Potato Stupid or Genious?

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2011, 22:37
While making Scalloped Potatos I had some overage and decided to use a thick blade on the processor. I let it eat golden spuds (Skin On) , then moved them to a pot of boiling water for 1/2 an hour to go a little beyond blanching. Don't skip this step - the outcome will be brown hideous looking product.

After the blanch I move it to a colander and wash the starch out and transfer the "chipped" potato to the dryer. A light SEA salt (Fine) is applied - I do not use regular salt anymore.

Five hours later I have dried slightly salty - no oil or fat chips...

1/2 the weight - no cooking required... If you decide to cook I suspect it would cook in no time - add a gravy rollup. See previous Gravy thread.

Thoughts?

HiKen2011
01-04-2011, 22:40
While making Scalloped Potatos I had some overage and decided to use a thick blade on the processor. I let it eat golden spuds (Skin On) , then moved them to a pot of boiling water for 1/2 an hour to go a little beyond blanching. Don't skip this step - the outcome will be brown hideous looking product.

After the blanch I move it to a colander and wash the starch out and transfer the "chipped" potato to the dryer. A light SEA salt (Fine) is applied - I do not use regular salt anymore.

1/2 the weight - no cooking required... If you decide to cook I suspect it would cook in no time - add a gravy rollup. See previous Gravy thread.

Thoughts?

Genious friend!!!

Feral Bill
01-04-2011, 22:57
How thick?

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2011, 23:04
How thick?

Hamilton Beech 6mm blade looks like 1/4 inch.

Pedaling Fool
01-05-2011, 09:25
It's one of the things I always dehydrate; great source of potassium and carbs. I don't eat them as potato chips, just throw them in my stew.

bulldog49
01-05-2011, 09:54

Thoughts?

5 hours? Really? I say stupid when you can buy this in a store.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/potatoes?WT.mc_id=paid_search_MLS_Specialty_Potato es&WT.srch=1

gunner76
01-05-2011, 10:12
Some people enjoy preparing their food from scratch.

The last time I tried to dehydrate some apricots, I had them in the oven on low and was out in the back yard working and came back in to check on the progress only to find that the wife had thown the apricots away. I aske why did she do that and she said they looked all dried up. :eek:

Wise Old Owl
01-05-2011, 13:22
5 hours? Really? I say stupid when you can buy this in a store.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/potatoes?WT.mc_id=paid_search_MLS_Specialty_Potato es&WT.srch=1

Fair - but the stuff at the store is marked up covered in preservatives and comes with a cheese pack that I won't use and three tablespoons of salt - which I am not supposed to eat.

4 potatoes reduced to 3 oz and some moisture was left in.

Hoop
01-05-2011, 14:02
"The last time I tried to dehydrate some apricots, I had them in the oven on low and was out in the back yard working and came back in to check on the progress only to find that the wife had thown the apricots away. I aske why did she do that and she said they looked all dried up. :eek:"

Hey man that's funny.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2011, 11:34
4 potatoes reduced to 3 oz and some moisture was left in.