PDA

View Full Version : Breech Clout?

flyfisher
12-23-2004, 21:16
I have done quite a bit of hiking in a kilt over the last year. I began wondering about wearing a breech clout after doing some reading about Native American clothing in the southern mountains.

The breech clout is a piece of cloth from 12 to 24 inches wide and about 5 feet long. It is passed between the legs and then over a belt in front and back. This was the standard "underwear/outerwear" for many NAs and for a lot of fronteersmen in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

It can be worn alone or with leggings that also tie to the belt. Often it is worn under a thigh length shirt.

Has anyone here tried hiking in one?

Puck
12-24-2004, 10:18
I say..go for it! You should find a techwick or merino wool one. Remember cotton kills.

flyfisher
12-24-2004, 10:57
I forgot to mention that the 24 inch wide breech clout that I have prototyped in polyester can also be worn as a wrap around kilt.

tlbj6142
12-24-2004, 17:14
Seems like that would be quite a bit of material balled up between your legs. Wouldn't it make you walk like you just got off a horse?

Good idea though. Would be cooler than compression shorts (only), but yet prevent chaffing and good support. Wearing one would be one sure fire way to make sure my wife would never going hiking with me again.:D

What sort of "belt" would you use?

Here's a good pic for those wondering, shown with long leggings underneath (http://www.nativeamericanvisions.com/catalog/index.cfm?item_id=79&Cat_ID=5).

Seem to get more hits for breechclout (one word) rather than breech clout two words. Not sure which one is correct. Not that I care...

tlbj6142
12-24-2004, 17:21
Here's a good link (http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/teacher/highered/crafts/craft23.htm)for those that want to make the leggings from buckskin.

icemanat95
12-24-2004, 18:22
It doesn't buy you much. It's more material than you need for the job. A pair of thin hiking shorts with or without underwear does the job nicely.

Needles
12-24-2004, 20:27
Just came across this on the web, http://www.woodedhamlet.com/costume_accessories/stroud_clouts.htm says it is made from wool and doesn't mention any other materials. I saw one or two others that said they had a cotton crotch lining which doesn't sound very appropriate for hiking. However you have to also imagine what a strip of wool riding between your legs would feel like.

I think this could work as hiking gear if made from the correct material, possibly cut a bit narrower where it would go between your legs, heck, I figure you could even put a "fly" in it for extra conveinience. But think about the belt that would have to hold the breechclout up. It would have to be wide enough to not cut into you and it would need to be comfortable sitting under the hip belt on your pack. Also, when this thing is saturated with sweat, and you know it will be sooner or later, is the extra weight and therefore force with which it swings back and forth going to be annoying?

Haiku
12-25-2004, 14:42
Hustler kept saying he wanted to hike in a breechclout this past summer. I don't think he ever did.

Haiku.