PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle from Peaks of Otter?

OldStormcrow
01-04-2011, 23:39
Does anyone know of a shuttle service that can get me from the Peaks of Otter to the Amtrak station in Lynchburg this April?

10-K
01-04-2011, 23:46
mvshuttle.com

Pricey and reliable.

Blissful
01-05-2011, 16:17
May be too far for Dutch Haus (to Lynchburg) but you could try them. I know they have shuttled in the past. There are also some hikers here from Lynchburg who might help

OldStormcrow
01-05-2011, 16:58
At this point I have about decided to get off the trail at Bearwallow Gap on the Blue Ridge Parkway and somehow get down to Roanoke to catch the Greydog "express" home. The only Amtrak stations I could find in that part of VA were in Lynchburg and Clifton Forge.

Skyline
01-05-2011, 17:22
mvshuttle.com

Pricey and reliable.

Thanks for the mention and noting our reliability. Yes, for that particular shuttle we would be pricey because we'd be coming from Luray (northern SNP) to do it, and driving back. But we've done more unusual shuttles when no one else was available.

In our area, though, I don't think we're outrageously expensive compared to other legal operators.

I might suggest checking out the ATC Shuttle List, a downloadable PDF file. There are shuttlers much closer to Bearwallow Gap/Roanoke/Lynchburg etc. and they would be less expensive than Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service because of their closer home base.

Try this link: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%2012-7-10.pdf

Press
01-05-2011, 20:33
You can PM me if you still want to try to arrange the Peaks to Lynchburg ride. I might be able to give you a lift to the train station here, no charge. Peaks aren't on the AT though as you probably know.

Dogwood
01-05-2011, 20:41
I don't remember exactly where I got off the AT but during late spring 2006 had an EASY time hitching to Peaks of Otter(restaurant, showers, hotel, etc) to stay at the lake and climb up to the peak as an added side trip while thru-hiking the AT. Got back on the AT(in the same place) where I left off by hitching back too - Easy hitching, waited less than 10 mins each way.

Hikerhead
01-05-2011, 22:09
I don't remember exactly where I got off the AT but during late spring 2006 had an EASY time hitching to Peaks of Otter(restaurant, showers, hotel, etc) to stay at the lake and climb up to the peak as an added side trip while thru-hiking the AT. Got back on the AT(in the same place) where I left off by hitching back too - Easy hitching, waited less than 10 mins each way.

Don't you think it's time the Blue Ridge Parkway people should pull their head out of their arse and let the trail be routed back through the Peaks Of Otter like it was originally. What a plus for everyone. The hikers would have a super place to lodge or camp and eat. The park service would make a lot of extra money. The locals and non hikers would meet a lot of interesting people.

Skyline
01-07-2011, 11:56
Don't you think it's time the Blue Ridge Parkway people should pull their head out of their arse and let the trail be routed back through the Peaks Of Otter like it was originally. What a plus for everyone. The hikers would have a super place to lodge or camp and eat. The park service would make a lot of extra money. The locals and non hikers would meet a lot of interesting people.

So long as the AT stayed in the woods, and didn't involve much if any roadwalking, your suggestion might have merit. Have you brought this up with leaders of Natural Bridge ATC, the club responsible for the Trail in that area?

In the past decade-plus, NBATC has put a lot of resources into the Trail (relocations, shelter work) in the current route well west of Peaks of Otter. It might not go over well with them to simply abandon all of that in favor of hikers getting better access to a campground or a buffet at Peaks of Otter, but who knows--maybe there's a good compromise route that could still include much of their investments in $$$ and sweat equity. By doing some research and making a first-draft proposal, you could help lead the way.

In the interim, it's a pretty easy hitch to/from Bearwallow Gap to Peaks of Otter's amenities and back along the Blue Ridge Parkway.