PDA

View Full Version : Franklin to Neels Gap trip?

trail ronin
01-05-2011, 02:36
I'm planing on hiking from Franklin to Neels starting Jan.8 (This saturday).
Figure about 7 or 8 days for the trip. Straight thru hike.

Any advice about the best water sources or shelters on this section?

Any other advice anyone cares to give would also be appreciated.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2011, 04:49
plenty of water sources so you don't need to carry much. plenty of shelters but i would tent

trail ronin
01-05-2011, 13:32
Thanks Wolf, I always take a tent, I use an MSR Hubba or Hubba Hubba most of the time. I usually eat at a shelter in the evening and move on if there are more than a couple of people there.

generoll
01-05-2011, 13:34
some hikers I shuttled New Years reported that the mice at Tray Mtn chewed holes in their sleeping bags and took the stuffing, presumably for nest building.

scope
01-05-2011, 15:11
Hard to say what will be the best water sources this time of year, but they should all be flowing pretty good in GA, though some may freeze and reduce access at the flow. The third floor at Plumorchard shelter can be nice this time of year with a mess of hikers below you (but there probably won't be). Deep Gap is a nice shelter and area, Tray Mt is great to camp in the area, nice big camping area within mile of Blue Mt shelter, and Low Gap is nice wide open area for camping. All except Blue have really good water sources.

trail ronin
01-07-2011, 02:02
Calling for snow 4 days and -4 temps one night. I use a Z rest , anyone think I might need to take a second sleep pad also?

Speakeasy TN
01-07-2011, 08:42
Watch the weather forecast right to the last minute (today I guess). It seems to be changing hourly. Have a blast!

Blissful
01-07-2011, 10:07
Snow forecasted. And cold temps. Be prepared.

bigcranky
01-07-2011, 13:59
Calling for snow 4 days and -4 temps one night. I use a Z rest , anyone think I might need to take a second sleep pad also?

I never found a Z-rest all that warm -- the actual pad material is pretty thin, it's the bump pattern that gives it some apparent thickness and cushion. The current forecast (http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php) is for seasonable cold -- lows in the teens or low 20s, highs in the 30s (F). If it were me, I would be cold on a Z-rest, but YMMV. I carry a Prolite 4 in the winter.

(To use the above link, click on a location name, then click the link for the NOAA forecast from the pop-up window. I used Tray Mountain Shelter.)

solobip
01-07-2011, 14:40
This may be better then resetting the location bar. Good luck, it could get nasty.
http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

trail ronin
01-07-2011, 15:57
Thanks for the help guys, I think I've got my act togather.....
Guess I'll know definitely in a few days...lol

Big Cranky you may be right, the last time I used the Z-rest in winter was a few years ago and I don't remember it being that warm. I just sold my base camp thermarest because I never used it. I do have an old pad I bought years ago from a company called "Down to earth". I think it would be warmer than the Z but the dang thing weighs 2lbs 2 oz. Of course winter conditions aren't the time to go ultra lite.

I see a prolite 4 in my near future.

bigcranky
01-07-2011, 21:23
I see a prolite 4 in my near future.

I think it's called the Prolite Plus now. The regular size pad is about 1.5 pounds.

If you like a CCF pad, the Ridgerest is warmer.