PDA

View Full Version : Why do hikers drink?

Torch09
01-05-2011, 06:15
*Note: I'm not here to criticize anybody's lifestyle or choices*

:-? I'm just interested. Personally, I've never been compelled to use alcohol, but I have many friends (some underaged:() who drink regularly. I can understand its use as a way to relax after a stressful day at work, but why would anyone need that while hiking? Aren't we out there for the natural enjoyment?

I spent six months hiking and wouldn't trade a single day for anything. I took 1500+ photos and filled a 100 page journal but still wish that I had more ways to remember my experience. I can't imagine wanting to blur the memories with alcohol.

Hikes in Rain
01-05-2011, 06:54
I do because I like the taste of good wine or fine hand-crafted beer, or a good warm brown spirit such as brandy, rum or one of the various whiskeys. Long, long ago, I traded quality for quantity, to the point when my wife can tell if I popped that second beer because I start slurring a little. (Makes me a cheap date!)

So, I'll sip a little lounging by the campfire. You won't see me slobbering drunk, though, not by a long shot.

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-05-2011, 07:00
Hmmm... lot's of reasons, I suppose... I've met a lot of hiker's who wouldn't touch a drop of alchohol, some that would sip a beer, and some that would "party on". I guess there would be as many reasons as there are hikers who drink. Those that are responsible (not getting drunk) probably don't need a reason. Those that drink in excess probably have many reasons, not all "good" reasons. I myself, having been raised in an alchoholic home, swore an oath to not become a drinker... yet drank heavily from the age of 15 to 40. I didn't drink ALL the time, but drank to excess when I did drink. For the last 13 years I have been sober, praise God, and have regained my life. I don't see myself falling back into the lifestyle, but will always have that fear. Anyway, yeah, I do not condone or condemn... but I do feel a little sad for all the folks who can't regulate/moderate their drink. It dulls the pain of the wounds, while potentially creating more wounds...

nopain
01-05-2011, 07:12
:sunthur hike .....and u will see why.......

Rocket Jones
01-05-2011, 07:17
Personal choice.

abn trooper
01-05-2011, 07:18
All things in moderation. I know I like to have a good meal and a cold one or two when I hit town.

Marta
01-05-2011, 08:03
1) Hydration

2) Calories

3) Dulls the pain of tired knees or whatever

4) Puts a smile on your face

5) Sleep like a rock

solace
01-05-2011, 09:16
I think it takes the edge off for those who, find that after a few weeks or so, that WOW, im going to be doing this for another 5 mos! When you get to town esp, you want that "relief", that edge taken off.... for me personally, I owe my trail drinking to Baltimore Jack:)
god bless ya Jack!

10-K
01-05-2011, 09:20
Like coffee, people drink alcohol for the effect. There are plenty of non-alcoholic substitutes that provide calories, hydration, etc. etc. but none of them alter your mood.

Sometimes I miss it, most of the time I don't and for 90% of the people who imbibe it's no problem at all.

scope
01-05-2011, 09:27
thur hike .....and u will see why....... Why, what's happening on Thursdays?? Did I miss the Happy Hour memo? ;)

Personal choice.
Nothing more really needs to be said, although...

1) Hydration

2) Calories

5) Sleep like a rock

...I really like this list. (need a facebook thumbs up icon)

I think for some folks, alcohol is an all or nothing proposition. They drink to "blur" (verb) or they don't drink. Or perhaps when they drink, they always "blur". I've found that as I get older, its a little easier to know when to say when, and perhaps, a little easier to be able to choose quality over quantity.

Tom Murphy
01-05-2011, 09:31
"compelled to use alcohol"

"need that while hiking"

"wanting to blur the memories with alcohol"

"I'm not here to criticize anybody's lifestyle or choices", really?

Alcohol is a drug and like other drugs [weed, nicotine, caffeine] can be abused or it can be enjoyed in moderation.

It sounds like you think any consumption on alcohol is an addiction.

Not true.

It sounds like you think any consumption on alcohol makes that person's hike less fulfilling than yours was.

Again, not true.

I have had many great hikes that involved alcohol.

All I ask is that you hike out your empties.

mweinstone
01-05-2011, 10:21
people drink.hikers are drinkers with a hiking problem.

beakerman
01-05-2011, 10:27
i like a nice cold dark beer once in a while because it acts as a very mild muscle relaxant, its also a very mild pain killer and finaly a good dark beer is full of antioxidants, vitamins and such therefore is actualy good for you if you don't over do it so after a long day it is much enjoyed with dinner. Aside from those "practical" reasons I just like the taste.

mrc237
01-05-2011, 10:41
"Live and let Live"

Tilly
01-05-2011, 10:51
I spent six months hiking and wouldn't trade a single day for anything. I took 1500+ photos and filled a 100 page journal but still wish that I had more ways to remember my experience. I can't imagine wanting to blur the memories with alcohol.

Torch, not everyone drinks to get drunk. Some people enjoy the taste of alcohol, be it beer, wine, whiskey, etc. and drink in moderation.

I personally like beer alot, and I do not drink until I'm drunk. My hike/memories were not affected in any way by having a few beers when I was in town. It was a fun treat, and something I couldn't have on the trail (much the same as yogurt, fruit, ice cream, etc.)

Tilly
01-05-2011, 10:53
Additionally, people who habitually drink to that kind of excess no doubt drink like that no matter what the situation is, or what they happen to be doing (school, work, etc.)

wornoutboots
01-05-2011, 10:54
I do because I like the taste of good wine or fine hand-crafted beer Long, long ago, I traded quality for quantity
So, I'll sip a little lounging by the campfire. You won't see me slobbering drunk, though, not by a long shot.

I'll second that! Very well put :)

mweinstone
01-05-2011, 11:10
ah the drinking thread. or drunken thread. whatever. ah the thread. good old threads. there funny. i like threads about stuff. stuff is funny.

anyone messes with me i got a library of drunken hiker photos. each and every one of you freaks.lol. i dont feel i can contain myself. you need not mess with me to see them. let us begin......

disclaimer:none of the hikers pictured are drunk. they are actors portraying drunkeness.no hikers were seriously harmed in the filming of drunken hikers .all drinks pictured are non alcoholic.

SamXp
01-05-2011, 11:24
Hmmm... lot's of reasons, I suppose... I've met a lot of hiker's who wouldn't touch a drop of alchohol, some that would sip a beer, and some that would "party on".I suspect that those that use the trail as a remote place to party without scrutiny is what compelled this thread. It's certainly a huge annoyance to deal with revelry when you're looking for solace, but don't allow the selfish ones paint your image of all who use alcohol while hiking.

Marta posted a great list of reasons that have nothing to do with selfish, irresponsible partying in a place reserved for quiet.

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2011, 11:28
Because sobriety is over-rated. :D

John B
01-05-2011, 11:32
The AT has a lot of drinkers with a hiking problem.

Rain Man
01-05-2011, 11:55
Curious how many said they do it because they like the taste, since it is definitely an acquired taste. First, they have to teach themselves to like it; then they say they do it because they like it. Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy! Or, is that pulling oneself up by one's own boot strings? LOL

I don't do drugs. Hikers who drink have taught themselves to like drugs. That's why they drink. Just the facts, Ma'am.

I very definitely agree with the statement about all things in moderation. Folks who enjoy a beer or glass of wine or sip of hard stuff don't bother me.

Rain:sunMan

scope
01-05-2011, 12:52
Hikers who drink have taught themselves to like drugs. That's why they drink. Just the facts, Ma'am.

Liquid bread ain't no drug, but of course, it can and is used like one. You don't taste a drug, you take if for its effects. You might be able to make that argument with some liquor - straight, not cocktails - but beer and wine offer too much to slap them in the drug category. If I could get the same taste without the alcohol effect, I'd drink them anyway.

I find the above comment a little offensive because if my personal choice is to drink, that seems to label me as a "drug-user" which connotes a perception of illicit drug use. I don't think that's what you meant, but an across the board statement like yours labels me, and puts me in a category with others whom perhaps have taught themselves to use alcohol as a drug. I might have even been in that category at one time and certainly don't want to be anymore.

I hate labels. :mad:

10-K
01-05-2011, 12:53
I do like to play poker with people who are drinking though....

Luddite
01-05-2011, 12:59
I plan on cutting back on my drinking on my thru hike. I'm a wine drinker and thats just gunna be too expensive.

I do like to play poker with people who are drinking though....

Haha me too.

Mags
01-05-2011, 13:13
Because a burger, a beer and fries after humping a pack for 100+ miles in between supplies is pure nirvana.

To heck with anyone who thinks this puts me in the same category as a heroin user.

(Come to think of it, my late grandfather must have been in that category as he liked his coffee with sambucca after a wonderful meal... :-?)

hobbs
01-05-2011, 13:21
When you get older you may partake. Thats your choice.When I was younger I had no intenttion of drinking. Then while in the military you get use to your friends offering a beer and you try it. yes the first one taste's odd. But then you become accustomed to the aroma and flavor. There is nothing wrong with drinking in moderation and if someone say's they dont. Thats a personal choice and to each his own...

Wise Old Owl
01-05-2011, 13:24
1) Hydration

2) Calories

5) Sleep like a rock

And at the end of a hike 2 16 ozYeungling refreshes!

Hikes in Rain
01-05-2011, 13:29
Curious how many said they do it because they like the taste, since it is definitely an acquired taste. First, they have to teach themselves to like it; then they say they do it because they like it.
Rain:sunMan

If we're talking about beer, this tells me you've been drinking bad beer! :) I never did learn to like the taste of the beverage commercially known as beer.

Then, someone gave me good beer, or so he said. I knew it couldn't really be beer, because it actually tasted good; so good I wanted more. I began to learn more about beer, and discovered there are a whole bunch of beer styles that taste good. Never was much of a problem, because good beer can be expensive, and I'm notoriously cheap.

Then, I learned to make good beer, pennies on the dollar. Uh oh........:D

sbhikes
01-05-2011, 14:54
I found a cold beer to be the coldest, most refreshing thing to drink on after a hot week of hiking. But a pint was usually more than enough.

Tom Murphy
01-05-2011, 16:57
Curious how many said they do it because they like the taste, since it is definitely an acquired taste. First, they have to teach themselves to like it; then they say they do it because they like it.

This arguemnt is weak argument becuase you can make this statement about food as well.

What food you enjoy is heavily influenced by what your parents feed you as a child.

10-K
01-05-2011, 17:03
Re: taste.

I haven't drank alcohol in years and I'm here to tell you that I can't think of anything on the face of this earth that tastes better than an ice cold beer when you're hot and tired.

There are many times when I'm envious of those who can drink in moderation.

Having said that, I function much, much better without it and society agrees. :)

garlic08
01-05-2011, 17:24
There are a few reasons I don't drink alcohol or caffeine on the trail. Most important, I see a long hike as a way to "de-tox" as much as I can. Second, despite common knowledge, alcohol does not hydrate you or help you rest--quite the opposite. Who wakes up from a night of drinking feeling hydrated and rested? Last reason is cost. Plenty of young folk with small budgets blow $20 in every town on microbrews in a bar. And that's OK.

Once in a great while, when a zero day is planned the next day and a draft beer is offered, I'll take it. And I'll have a cup of coffee in the morning. But not on a hiking day--just a rule for me. Caffeine and alcohol make me thirsty, a little fuzzy or dizzy or jittery, and I just don't like that when I'm on a trail. Otherwise, yes.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-05-2011, 18:24
I do because I like the taste of good wine or fine hand-crafted beer, or a good warm brown spirit such as brandy, rum or one of the various whiskeys. Long, long ago, I traded quality for quantity, to the point when my wife can tell if I popped that second beer because I start slurring a little. (Makes me a cheap date!)

It's good that you drink in moderation. Once I drank too much for a few years. Several years ago when I was hiking and camping at Deep Gap on the Black Mountain Crest Trail in NC I wanted to get a good night's sleep when some guys showed up with a fifth of Wild Turkey between 3 of them, which they drank pretty quickly and I couldn't sleep all night for those morons "gobbling" and screaming all night. That was very inconsiderate of them.

jtken
01-05-2011, 18:26
liquor is quicker:jump:jump

corialice81
01-05-2011, 19:13
1) Hydration

2) Calories

5) Sleep like a rock

I second what Marta said and would add that there are some AMAZING breweries/wineries along the trail (esp. in Maine!).

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-05-2011, 19:37
I suspect that those that use the trail as a remote place to party without scrutiny is what compelled this thread. It's certainly a huge annoyance to deal with revelry when you're looking for solace, but don't allow the selfish ones paint your image of all who use alcohol while hiking.

Marta posted a great list of reasons that have nothing to do with selfish, irresponsible partying in a place reserved for quiet.

I agree, SamXp! We certainly don't want to color our opinions of all hikers who choose to drink by focusing on the VERY few who choose to drink to excess. :-?

lori
01-05-2011, 19:51
Like coffee, people drink alcohol for the effect. There are plenty of non-alcoholic substitutes that provide calories, hydration, etc. etc. but none of them alter your mood.

Sometimes I miss it, most of the time I don't and for 90% of the people who imbibe it's no problem at all.

I drink coffee because it's a warm beverage. I am just as likely to drink hot choc or tea in the morning, and I don't miss coffee when I don't drink it. I like the flavor of good coffee made from fresh ground beans. I like good smooth hot choc. I like fresh hot tea, anything from loose leaf pekoe to a delicate jasmine pearl, steeped in a clay pot. Coffee does nothing for me - I can drink it (and sometimes do) right before bed and sleep fine.

I drink wine because I like it. I rarely have enough to have an effect on my head. I like to make a bottle last a while, cause I'm poor and can't always buy it.

I drink home brewed beer. I like hoppy beer, dark porter, Anchor Steam, or a really nice IPA. I don't drink enough to get tipsy, most of the time. It has been two months since my last beer. It will likely be another month before my next one. I do not drink beer for the sake of drinking, nor for the "good vibrations." I don't drink soda, or Bud, or Coors, or any other non drinkable substance. I'm sure there are people who can find a flavor in those things, they don't taste good to me.

I suppose that makes me not a person... oh well.

4shot
01-05-2011, 19:56
Why?...because they can.:) Alcohol in moderation is a great thing and a cold beer or glass of wine or a cocktail in town was wonderful as was ice cream, hamburgers,pizza, etc. as someone else suggested.

Wilson
01-05-2011, 20:02
There are a few reasons I don't drink alcohol or caffeine on the trail. Most important, I see a long hike as a way to "de-tox" as much as I can. Second, despite common knowledge, alcohol does not hydrate you or help you rest--quite the opposite. Who wakes up from a night of drinking feeling hydrated and rested? Last reason is cost. Plenty of young folk with small budgets blow $20 in every town on microbrews in a bar. And that's OK.

Once in a great while, when a zero day is planned the next day and a draft beer is offered, I'll take it. And I'll have a cup of coffee in the morning. But not on a hiking day--just a rule for me. Caffeine and alcohol make me thirsty, a little fuzzy or dizzy or jittery, and I just don't like that when I'm on a trail. Otherwise, yes.
Agree, beer always badly dehydrated me. It ain't called the cottonmouth for nothing......Are microbrews expensive?

mcskinney
01-05-2011, 20:02
I carry either an 8 ounce plastic flask of bourbon when I walk. I almost always take a nip just after dinner to aid digestion, another nip just before bedtime to provide a bit of a liquid sweater. 8 Ounces will last days using that method, or, you can always drink it in 1 night and catch a buzz and watch stars... although thats probably more suited to a weekend warrior then someone trying a thruhike. 80 proof liquor also has some antiseptic and cleaning ability so it might be used for thing other then consumption.

If I'm out for a weekend trip and peak bagging a 13'er or 14'er, I almost always carry a single tallboy can (24oz beer) and drink it after i get back to basecamp after a successful, or unsuccessful, summit bid. Thats just me though, I like beer and bourbon I guess and since I'm of age it's ok that I do.

As for why I drink? I'll be honest here since a lot of people seem to be avoiding the truth above; I drink because it affects my thought process... it gets me relaxed, buzzed, drunk, high, blurred, whatever you want to call it. It alters your mind and lowers your inhibitions, it lets you party, lets you unwind, lets you forget, makes you happy, makes you sad, hydrates, dehydrates, ruins family's and is probably responsible for creating some too.

It is a drug because of its effects, capability, and potential. That doesn't mean it heroin though.

Enjoy alcohol just as you enjoy life, if you do anything to excess you become fixated and do a lot of that one thing, if you enjoy things in moderation you leave room to enjoy a great many things... without any of them taking control of your life.

I'm rambling... must be the Bourbon.

RGB
01-05-2011, 20:12

:-? I'm just interested. Personally, I've never been compelled to use alcohol, but I have many friends (some underaged:() who drink regularly. I can understand its use as a way to relax after a stressful day at work, but why would anyone need that while hiking? Aren't we out there for the natural enjoyment?

I don't think you understand how much alcohol it takes to black out and not remember anything the next day. Very few hikers would drink that much, knowing full well how much ground they have to cover the next day. I enjoy my drink, and even in a college setting I can count the times that I don't remember anything on one hand. If a hiker intended to get plastered, I imagine they'd probably have already been planning on a zero the next day. So that's that in that regard.

As far as "natural enjoyment" goes, there's nothing more natural than enjoying a cold one with new people. There's a reason why they call it social lubricant. You're implying that drinking while hiking results in an altered state required by some to enjoy the trail. I think you seriously have no clue of the spectrum of the effects of alcohol. Do you think it makes you trip or something??

Anyway, to answer your question, because I choose to. And I don't feel like I have to justify it to anyone, although I guess that's basically what I'm doing right now. I have a lot of pent up anger towards judgmental prudes that shoot me dirty looks every time I get a drink at a restaurant or when I'm toting some beer in the grocery store. I think they need to remove the stick from their posterior and enjoy a stiff drink themselves so they can relax for once in their lives. Nothing personal against you; just fed up with this, and you're receiving the brunt of my rant.

Del Q
01-05-2011, 20:48
I will chide in on this one.

A close friend does a lot of outdoor hiking and mountain climbing, he and his friends "bring the hooch", in their case, Vodka. Since those conversatons.................

My section hikes now include some high-grade "hooch", my experience is at the end of a long day, regardless of pain levels, weather, etc...........I really enjoy a nice drink of scotch, I work my butt off at home and to me the AT is as much a vacation as it is an adventure I love.

Does it fog the memories or experience a bit, maybe, but there are also the enjoyable parts of being (alone) in the outdoors, doing what I love to do, and enjoying a great 15 or 18 year old single malt Scotch.

That for me and many others is a great way to end a day on the AT, or any cool outdoor spot on the planet Earth.

StubbleJumper
01-05-2011, 21:53
Blur the experience? I like to buy 13oz of bourbon when I resupply. Given that I generally go 4 to 5 days between resupplies, that's about 3 oz per day. Just a nice bit of whiskey to sip in the evening as I work on my journal entry or as I BS with other hikers. Wonderful way to relax after a wonderful day of hiking.

Sometimes I can't find a liquor store at every re-supply and I go without. No biggie.

Roland
01-05-2011, 22:12
I never drink. Well, almost never. But after reading this thread, I rummaged through the refrigerator to find a cold beer.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Cookerhiker
01-05-2011, 22:28
As much as I enjoy craft brews and good wine, I usually only do so with a good meal i.e. not the kind you often get at trail towns where quantity and calories trump quality. And I just don't feel like alcohol in the middle of a long hike unless there's a zero day tomorrow; I usually have a craving for iced tea and/or milkshakes.

Now ending a short section or day hike with a good meal and wine or beer - ahhh:)

Ladytrekker
01-05-2011, 23:22
I can think of two reasons family and work.

Jim Adams
01-05-2011, 23:30
I wouldn't hike w/o alcohol!
I have loved the taste since the first time. No aquiring taste about it.
I have TONS of great memories of friends on the AT and PCT because I drink alcohol.

Now coffee, yes sir, there's a drink that will kill ya!...seriously!

geek

Roland
01-06-2011, 05:26
~

Now coffee, yes sir, there's a drink that will kill ya!...seriously!

geek

...and I've never had a cup in my life!. Lucky break there.

Because I'm not a coffee drinker, I've never given this topic much attention, but I can recall reading articles about scientific studies which determined that coffee can lower the risk of developing certain diseases. Diabetes. Alzheimer's. Parkinson's. There may be others, but those are the biggies I remember.

I had been wondering if I should hold my nose and try to choke-down a few cups, for the health benefits. Thankfully, your post saves me from having to doing that.

fredmugs
01-06-2011, 09:14
I believe someone already mentioned it but beer actually dehydrates. If you are hiking on a hot day a beer is probably the worst thing you could drink.

I do not carry alcohol on the trail but may have a beer at trail towns. Possibly the best AT beer I ever had was after hiking SOBO into Duncannon on a 95 degree day. That long road walk practically killed me but the bar at the Doyle was air conditioned and the Yuengling was cold. That and the cheese steak and fries may be the best meal I've had on the trail.

I did hump an entire case of beer 8 miles into the backcountry in Yellowstone for our group that we kept chilled in the river. Every night after our day hikes we had 2 beers with dinner.

woodsy
01-06-2011, 09:33
Nothing like some Jose gold and mexican rice for dinner on the mountain.:)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9855&stc=1&d=1294320731

Nizhoni
01-06-2011, 09:38
Nothing like some Jose gold and mexican rice for dinner on the mountain.:)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9855&stc=1&d=1294320731
AMEN!!!! Nothing else needs to be said!!!! :banana

the goat
01-06-2011, 09:47
Hikers who drink have taught themselves to like drugs. That's why they drink. Just the facts, Ma'am.

you must be trolling......:rolleyes:

scope
01-06-2011, 10:02
I carry either an 8 ounce plastic flask of bourbon when I walk. I almost always take a nip just after dinner to aid digestion, another nip just before bedtime to provide a bit of a liquid sweater. 8 Ounces will last days using that method, or, you can always drink it in 1 night and catch a buzz and watch stars... although thats probably more suited to a weekend warrior then someone trying a thruhike. 80 proof liquor also has some antiseptic and cleaning ability so it might be used for thing other then consumption.

If I'm out for a weekend trip and peak bagging a 13'er or 14'er, I almost always carry a single tallboy can (24oz beer) and drink it after i get back to basecamp after a successful, or unsuccessful, summit bid. Thats just me though, I like beer and bourbon I guess and since I'm of age it's ok that I do.

As for why I drink? I'll be honest here since a lot of people seem to be avoiding the truth above; I drink because it affects my thought process... it gets me relaxed, buzzed, drunk, high, blurred, whatever you want to call it. It alters your mind and lowers your inhibitions, it lets you party, lets you unwind, lets you forget, makes you happy, makes you sad, hydrates, dehydrates, ruins family's and is probably responsible for creating some too.

It is a drug because of its effects, capability, and potential. That doesn't mean it heroin though.

Although I didn't like how Rain Man said it, I do basically agree with what you're saying. I guess its fine to call alcohol a drug because of its effects, but the problem is that alcohol is contained in a product that is not a drug, and does not HAVE to be used as a drug. I don't think its fair to say beer is a drug because it has alcohol. Same for wine. Liquor gets a little too close to that line where its "alcohol with taste" as opposed to a "beverage with alcohol".

So, if I'm hiking, and I come to (or specifically go to) a nice overlook where I might want to hang for a while, I think to myself, "what would I like to have in this moment?" Might be some Dove dark chocolate; might be some special beef jerky; might be an Old Chub Scottish Ale or Modus Hoperandi (since they come in cans). In some cases while hiking, I really don't like the after-effects of the alcohol in the beer, but that might not stop me from having one. Ya know, like I might not like the after-effects of eating a dozen hot Krispy Kremes, but that doesn't stop me. :rolleyes:

I believe someone already mentioned it but beer actually dehydrates. If you are hiking on a hot day a beer is probably the worst thing you could drink.

I do not carry alcohol on the trail but may have a beer at trail towns. Possibly the best AT beer I ever had was after hiking SOBO into Duncannon on a 95 degree day. That long road walk practically killed me but the bar at the Doyle was air conditioned and the Yuengling was cold. That and the cheese steak and fries may be the best meal I've had on the trail.

I did hump an entire case of beer 8 miles into the backcountry in Yellowstone for our group that we kept chilled in the river. Every night after our day hikes we had 2 beers with dinner.

I like a beer in camp. I also like to have one if I know I'm going to a special destination, one where I might hang for a bit. Here's some stuff I lugged up to camp at 11K' as well as a tasty one at 13K. Let me tell you, that one there did NOT "blur" my experience on the boulders hiking back. :cool:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28486&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=8174&cutoffdate=-1
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28487&catid=member&imageuser=8174

Oh, one other point to make... beer actually does initially hydrate and provide nutrients. If you could drink 1-2 beers AND then drink a bunch of water, then you'd be fine. Just not real practical, though, so in the end, beer ends up dehydrating.

Hoofit
01-06-2011, 10:29
Torch, no offense but you're only twenty years old.
When you reach the fine old age of fifty plus, like me, you may appreciate a little fine Scotch at the end of a weary day.Takes away the pain and hey, what's wrong with that? Of course, it can take many Years to appreciate a good whisky...
A little weed works pretty good too...as for natural enjoyment, there's malt in my Scotch and the plants are provided by Mother Nature herself.
Enjoy your hike my friend and I'll see you down the trail.

Alligator
01-06-2011, 10:47
Please refrain from involving marijuana in the discussion (per the user agreement,#4).

Thank you.

10-K
01-06-2011, 10:49
Please refrain from involving marijuana in the discussion (per the user agreement,#4).

Thank you.

I was wondering how long it would take... :)

wvgrinder
01-06-2011, 12:06
One of the drawbacks of SNP is all of the road crossings and tourists. But during my hike there this past summer, I got a real kick out of stopping at a wayside, grabbing a cold one, and sitting at a picnic table for a nice break. And unlike the food, the beer is cheap! :D

hikerboy57
01-06-2011, 12:09
Rehabs for quitters.Thru hikers dont quit.

hikerboy57
01-06-2011, 12:12
PS, I dont drink, dont care for it.

Sickmont
01-06-2011, 17:02
Because sobriety is over-rated. :D

And because i can.....:banana

Joshuatree
01-07-2011, 17:09
I drink because I like to there's nothing better then having a nice whiskey or burbon with a whisper of water added, normally while I'm enjoying a nice cigar watching the sunset over Lake Superior. I carry a bottle thats about half a liter but it gets shared with hiking partners or other campers in the area it makes a nice ice breaker. I normally drink microbrews since wisconsin is full of small brewerys. its quality over quanity although it does turn into both if I loose track of time.

Alcohol has been around for better then 5,000 years. It was a way to save a grain or fruit harvest for later use. Its also been used a form a currency its alot easier to carry jars or jugs rather then big bags or baskets. Before modern sanatation the only safe beverage to drink had alcohol in it. The Royal navy issued a daily ration of rum to make the stale water on ocean voyages drinkable.

SamXp
01-07-2011, 17:15
Haha I've been waiting for someone to make a thread titled "Why do drinkers hike?"

Luddite
01-07-2011, 17:31
Woodsy, where was that picture taken?

strollingalong
01-07-2011, 17:58
yes to the man with cuervo

Green
01-07-2011, 19:39
Haha I've been waiting for someone to make a thread titled "Why do drinkers hike?"

Lol its like bicycling. You have bikers who drink and drinking teams who bike.

TallShark
01-07-2011, 20:46
Why wouldn't you want to enjoy some scotch at the end of the day? I, at the moment, am sipping on an 18 year in all of its smoky, born from the bosom of the earth, caramel finishing glory while reading this forum. It baffles me as to why people who don’t understand something so readily express disapproval of it. Drinking good alcohol in moderation is a great thing for so many reasons. Drinking too much alcohol, regardless of quality, is a bad thing. Drinking a good dram of whiskey while in the great outdoors that we all love so, looking at the splendor that is nature in front of you, just puts the icing on the cake and I wouldn't change it for the world. Maybe one day when you grow up buddy you to will learn to enjoy all things from the earth, not just sights and sounds but things that excite the senses on your palate as well.

Skidsteer
01-07-2011, 20:56
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for monks.

Roland
01-07-2011, 20:58
~
I, at the moment, am sipping ~

I have no doubt that this is true.

Luddite
01-07-2011, 20:59
It levels my head and eases my mind - Bob Dylan

TallShark
01-07-2011, 21:14
I have no doubt that this is true.

Haha… I’ve never been good with those damn commas, I write how I speak and when I pause, in goes a comma.

Roland
01-07-2011, 21:23
Haha… I’ve never been good with those damn commas, I write how I speak and when I pause, in goes a comma.

Well, my friend, now you've really made me laugh. Thanks for the chuckle! :D

corialice81
01-07-2011, 21:23
a zero day in Maine! Ahh the way life should be.

http://cholladay.smugmug.com/Appalachian-Trail-Thru-Hike/Maine/beers-chillin-during-zero-at/1139194443_Jjmt4-S.jpg (http://cholladay.smugmug.com/Appalachian-Trail-Thru-Hike/Maine/15225880_yv2VM#1139194443_Jjmt4-A-LB)

skooch
01-07-2011, 21:25
Awesome guys! some great quotes to keep me laughing. hope I meet ya'll out there someday

Hikes in Rain
01-07-2011, 21:29

You've read Heinlein, that's very clear. Good for you!

Pony
01-07-2011, 22:06
I have some good memories of drinking with friends on the trail. Sometimes in moderation, sometimes in excess. HYOH

Carbo
01-07-2011, 22:22
About 60-65% of the population are drinkers. Probably not much different for hikers. So the answer to the question, "Why do hikers drink?" is the same answer to "Why do people drink?".

johnnybgood
01-07-2011, 22:25
When in good company I drink . God , how I miss those days...

Smile
01-07-2011, 22:32
I have only run into a few well-liquored hikers on trail, but most were in town. :)

woodsy
01-07-2011, 22:44
Woodsy, where was that picture taken?

yes to the man with cuervo

Just south of Horns Pond on the Maine AT.

DapperD
01-07-2011, 22:51
About 60-65% of the population are drinkers. Probably not much different for hikers. So the answer to the question, "Why do hikers drink?" is the same answer to "Why do people drink?".I don't know about the percentage part, but I would agree with this. If you are a drinker at home, then you are most likely going to be a drinker on the trail. If you abstain from drinking at home, or rarely drink, then chances are you will probably do the same out on the trail. The exception may be if you are around other hiker's who decide to have a party and you decide to party also, or you decide to head into town to a bar or a restaurant where everyone else is drinking and you join them. The people who would be considered steady/heavy drinker's are going to continue drinking regardless of their location as long as they are able to locate and obtain it.

Pony
01-07-2011, 23:17
I have only run into a few well-liquored hikers on trail, but most were in town. :)

I ran into this guy at Maine Junction. He had spent his afternoon drinking at the Inn at Long Trail. He was obviously drunk, but pleasant to be around and in a pretty good mood. He was hiking back to the shelter and I moved on. I ran into him a few days later, and talked to him for a while. About twenty minutes into the conversation he said, "why do you look so familiar, have we met?" I almost fell over laughing.

Drunk or sober, he was a pretty nice guy.

Sarcasm the elf
01-07-2011, 23:45
I had a drink and realized I liked it, so I kept doing it.

I went for a hike and realized I liked it, so I kept doing it.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." - Tom waits

Furlough
01-08-2011, 19:00
Because they are thristy.

Christus Cowboy
01-08-2011, 19:25
Good question... I have never been inclined to consume alcohol either but I do have friends who do..... I would say that alcohol, hikers, and the trail have provided for some interesting youtube vids though.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMDTOPlpdKY

Mags
01-08-2011, 21:26
I had a beer today (along with burger) after 13 miles of skiing. It was good.

Of course this thread is about hiking, so never mind.

Thank you.

That is all.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2011, 22:03
"compelled to use alcohol"

"need that while hiking"

"wanting to blur the memories with alcohol"

"I'm not here to criticize anybody's lifestyle or choices", really?

Alcohol is a drug and like other drugs [weed, nicotine, caffeine] can be abused or it can be enjoyed in moderation.

It sounds like you think any consumption on alcohol is an addiction.

Not true.

It sounds like you think any consumption on alcohol makes that person's hike less fulfilling than yours was.

Again, not true.

I have had many great hikes that involved alcohol.

All I ask is that you hike out your empties.

Yep, feels suspiciously like fishing...... (raises eyebrow)

And amen, hike out them empties and don't shout at the top of your lungs when we're all sleeping, and it's all good.

Egads
01-08-2011, 22:46
I can't imagine wanting to blur the memories with alcohol.

I agree. Never been drunk on the trail but have had a few beer & sips.

mcskinney
01-08-2011, 22:59

I like you

Different Socks
01-09-2011, 17:43
I drink occasionally when I come into town b/c my taste buds want something other than Gatorade, gookinaid, ice tea, koolaid, crystal light and others.

Miner
01-09-2011, 18:23
I think a better question would have been why do people drink alcohol while hiking rather then just in town (and I don't mean in camp at night either). Considering that studies have shown that even being a little dehydrated has up to a 20% decrease in your athletic performance and beer's negative side effect in leaving your hydration along the side of the trail, I don't get the comments that they drink for hydration. So I never really understood the appeal of leaving out beer in trail magic coolers, let alone having a few before putting more miles in.

The only issue with heavy drinking in town is, you may find yourself spending too much money too fast or taking too much time in each town as you move north which can lead to some serious problems in finishing a long trail. Well, having a hangover leaving town also might impact your hiking for part of the day. But, as someone who is only an occasional drinker, I saved my beer money for exceptional brew like at some of the brew pubs along the way. On the PCT, Oregon in particular had some really fine brew.

StormBird
01-09-2011, 23:36
Why do hikers drink?

Well clearly you've never had a good IPA. http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/images/smilies/drool.gif
http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/images/smilies/cheers.gif

txag
01-10-2011, 01:01
Now the science behind alcohol and exercise - 2 day old article:

http://consumerist.com/2011/01/drinking-more-makes-your-exercise-more.html

OK, this may be more about why drinkers hike than why hikers drink.

George
01-10-2011, 01:25
Because they are thirsty
I 2'nd this ( with spelling change )

weary
01-10-2011, 02:06
Alcohol has been part of the human condition since the dawn of civilization. Some suspect it may have spurred the growth of civilization. Once alcohol was discovered, humans needed a ready supply of ingredients and containers. Hence farming and manufacture of clay pots.

Medical research shows that people who drink wine daily, or a beer or two daily, live significantly longer and have healthier lives than abstainers.

My grandfather loved to quote scripture. My folks were strict teetolalers. Grampie had a different view. He told us kids that the Bible says, "a little wine for thy stomach's sake."

I used to drink two beers daily on the return leg of my daily 100 mile commute to work. We commuters used to compare driving times. Mine was a 2-beer commute.

Now I drink mostly red wine for it's medicinal and psychological benefits. On the trail I substitute 100 proof bourbon. Same benefit. Less water to carry.

DapperD
01-10-2011, 02:25
Medical research shows that people who drink wine daily, or a beer or two daily, live significantly longer and have healthier lives than abstainers.

I have heard this is true also. Unfortunately, many do not stop at 1 or 2. And when and if they eventually begin to consume many drinks per day, that so called "health benefit" disappears quickly, and then the effects from drinking become deleterious and detrimental to ones health and wellness:-?

ec.hiker
01-10-2011, 03:54
I spent 6 long years drinking a fifth of evan williams a day and that was just at the height of my alcohol use. I some how got out of the bottle and stayed dry for a long time. Some how or another I am able to drink a beer now and then and even have different fifths of various varieties in my liqour cabinet. I know many people can not do this and I don't even know hiw I am able except for the love of my young daughter I couldn't imagine her having a drunk for a dad. I do like to have a beer at the end of a long days hike not every day cuz I don't want to carry the weight. But if the chance comes along I will def partake but for some reason never over induldg. While I know this isn't an answer to the question I just wanted to share that. Simply put hikers have a beverage after a hike to relax and since it comes from natue I think they are still staying atuned with there suroundings!

TOW
01-10-2011, 05:14

Hikers are not a special breed of people. they are just a people from a slice of general society with all their habits......

Joshuatree
01-10-2011, 20:23
http://theweek.com/article/index/208561/why-do-smart-kids-grow-up-to-be-heavier-drinkers

Luddite
01-10-2011, 20:28
I have heard this is true also. Unfortunately, many do not stop at 1 or 2. And when and if they eventually begin to consume many drinks per day, that so called "health benefit" disappears quickly, and then the effects from drinking become deleterious and detrimental to ones health and wellness:-?

I've never met a person who only has two drinks. Whats the point? Once it hits your lips, its so good! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7SuY3T_U6c)

scope
01-10-2011, 23:19
Hikers drink because Oskar Blues puts "pack it in, pack it out" on their cans. Catchy slogan.

weary
01-11-2011, 00:57
I've never met a person who only has two drinks. Whats the point? Once it hits your lips, its so good! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7SuY3T_U6c)
I don't know about 2 drinks, but most people over the age of 30 drink moderately. I've always suspected the claim that two drinks is beneficial; but more is harmful, is a bit of a myth.

It's based on self reporting. Given the reputation of booze, I suspect that when asked, most under report there consumption. But, regardless, most social drinkers don't get drunk, even though a lot of 22-year-olds do. It's a growing up thing.

Newb
01-11-2011, 11:21
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. ---Ben Franklin