PDA

View Full Version : seeking employment on the trail

mweinstone
01-05-2011, 10:56
wanted. position working on or near the trail with room/tentsite and wages.if you need your property overhauled or have a position. [email protected]
im a contractor and do everything.references avail. not looking to be ridgerunner or work for trail orgs.ive built rails in gettysburg and restored philadelphias historic landmark buildings all my life. have refs. am licenced in pa.long list of happy customers. plumbing,masonary,painting,drywall,landscapeing etc.
will work for pennies.

mweinstone
01-05-2011, 10:59
welp! that counts as job hunting. im done.lol.looking for permenent position first.

fehchet
01-05-2011, 11:10
This isn't Craigslist. This is a hiking forum.

bus
01-05-2011, 12:43

He did say on the trail.

Luddite
01-05-2011, 12:48

Hes looking for work, not for a prostitute/masseuse.

sbhikes
01-05-2011, 14:58
Do a google search on Work Camping. There are companies that will pay you to work 20 to 40 hours a week as a campground host plus give you a site to stay in. Some only give you the site, so skip those. You'll clean toilets, do light maintenance, clean ashes from fire pits and stuff like that. I'm seriously considering dropping out of the career world for a life doing this. Many people have.

Luddite
01-05-2011, 15:29
Or check out http://www.wwoof.org/

kayak karl
01-05-2011, 15:46
you don't know matty, do you LOL

matty, leaving filthydelphia? why?

Blissful
01-05-2011, 16:10
I saw some great work a while back out in some of the national parks out west. :)

mweinstone
01-05-2011, 16:20
i been job huntin 13 months. im good at it. i have skills, and it might be an option to use my skills for a trail involved buissnes or person .on , or near, the trail. a hiker looking to work among his kind you might say.like working for ron in franklin with some kind of deal that includes a place but maby just a very small amount of money. like that. but ron needs a licenced driver in reality. i dont drive.thank god.lol.

mweinstone
01-05-2011, 16:24
or if bob needed a permenent helper at kincorra.private sector, but trail related. gabeesh?

kayak karl
01-05-2011, 18:35
have you tried calling curtis.

fiddlehead
01-05-2011, 18:46
A few years ago, I was helping a friend build an addition on his house not far from the trail in NH.
We put a sign out on the trail saying AYCE food and $10 an hour for construction help.
We got many calls and ended up hiring 5 or 6 thru-hikers for a few days each.
Some were good (3 were excellent) and one was really bad.

If i lived near the trail and needed help, I would surely use thru-hikers as helpers.
They sure eat a lot though.

One guy carried 2 bundles of shingles up the ladder everytime.
He tried to carry 3 one time but we wouldn't let him as we thought the ladder would break. (shingles weigh about 80 lbs per bundle!)

Good luck in your quest Matty.
I'm sure you'll find some work with these creative ideas of looking.

horicon
01-06-2011, 12:35
Make a sign that says will to work for tent site & put it on the back of your backpack.

kayak karl
01-06-2011, 13:50
Make a sign that says will to work for tent site & put it on the back of your backpack.
yea matty, make a sign and walk broad st.

http://www.artquotes.net/masters/basquiat/untitled-82-skull.jpg

if they understand the sign. it's where you should work:D

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2011, 14:04
Come on up here, Matty. We'll find work for you tomorrow, and a place to stay, too.

brian2o0o
01-06-2011, 17:15
Not exactly on the trail, but close... the NPS has some maintenance jobs listed for the Blue Ridge Parkway area around different parts of western NC. Looks like it includes painting, general maint of buildings/structures, grass cutting, etc... 15$ - $20 an hour.

mweinstone
01-06-2011, 17:45
thanks brian. but again, i dont wanna work for a trail org. private sector only. cool? i wore the nps patch at 15 in the ycc building trail on big and little rountops loop trails. i built every inch of those with a wheelbarrel of either stone, chipps, dirt or rock. btdt beentheredonethat. im old, crattchety, week, stupid, and should have been put out to the wolves long ago. and curtis just offered me a trampolene to pitch near!if i cant work out this place, i have a friend who has a goldsluse and a patch of ground and even flowers and trees and children and tamales. did i mention hikers? my friend has them too. way dsown yonder at the end of a road. where guitars strum stars over heads cast up and feet proped by the fire of freinds and work and play and dogs. and this place has memorys and things and hard work and love.

there once was a dog names spit
for people, he didnt give a $hit
spit sat all day
$hat all night
i love that dog
spits all right

CrumbSnatcher
01-06-2011, 17:55
got paid to repair the stone steps in front of the walasi-yi store
in 2003 while on my thruhike! winton picked me up in hiawassee and i went back for 2 days. thats was fun doing my trade at a place on the trail i love :)
GOOD LUCK MATTY

Dogwood
01-06-2011, 22:31
I'm willing to provide all the colored gummybears and hot chocolate you can eat and drink AND a flat tent site every night IF you will carry my pack for me on my next thru-hike(CT 2011) AND keep up with me at my pace without saying a word the entire time. Maybe, I'll throw in a somewhat new pair of hiking shoes at the end if you are a good little mule.

Good luck Matty!

BTW, have enjoyed your perspective and increased clarity of many of your posts lately.

mweinstone
01-06-2011, 22:37
sober 6 wks

BigHodag
01-06-2011, 23:40
Maine Trail Crew Leader

Teach and lead a volunteer trail crew doing footpath reconstruction work on the Appalachian Trail at remote sites on the mountains of Maine. Projects include building rock steps, waterbars and retaining walls and as well as new trail, Activities focus on teamwork and learning opportunities for volunteers. Training with stone cutting, stone work, Griphoist rigging systems, First aid, and leadership techniques will be provided. Sorry, no pets are allowed.

Qualifications:
At least one season of trail work experience
At least one season in an outdoor leadership role
Ability to teach trail skills
Previous experience using power tools and building rock structures
Good health and physical fitness
Valid driver's license and clean driving record
Durable sense of humor
Ability to maintain a safe and enjoyable work environment under challenging conditions
Ability to motivate and work with people of all ages and backgrounds

Salary: $12.50 per hour, plus housing and meals provided

Dates: May 14 - August 27, 2011

To Apply: Please send your résumé, cover letter and references to:

Lester C Kenway
PO Box 8057
Bangor ME 04402-8057

Electronic mail: [email protected]

Applications accepted until the positions are filled with preference given to those received by January 28, 2011.

BigHodag
01-06-2011, 23:45
Oops, just noticed they've added more positions since yesterday:

Various Seasonal Positions - Maine Appalachian Trail Club
http://ecoemploy.com/jobs/seasonal.html

Maine Trail Crew Leader

Maine Trail Crew Camp Coordinator

Caretakers and Ridge Runners

TrailSquirrel
01-06-2011, 23:47
sober 6 wks

Best thing you've ever wrote.

Better creation than any of your art.

I am proud of you!

mweinstone
01-07-2011, 09:23
hows bout i teach thread comprehention skills. lol.for the 4th time , i dont wanna work for a trail org, build trails for a trail org, or ever go back to working for a trail org.

looking for private sector trail related work. something along the lines of not working for a trail org might work.

hodag,...thats a tool i never wanna see again.lol.

generoll
01-07-2011, 10:23
how many private sector employers are involved in trail related work? in todays economy I'm guessing you may have to broaden your search a bit.

IceAge
01-07-2011, 11:45
Matty would like to be the full-time maintenance man at The Doyle.

Free board in Room 23 and a bowl of chili every day.

mweinstone
01-07-2011, 12:05
now were talkin. and enough daylight ours off to pan the river for the gold.eggsulent.

how many trail related jobs that arent trail orgs? is that what he just said!? every single private resturant,bar,hotel,motel,hostel,gas station, church and all mannor of farm along the trail frequented and sustained by hikers is how many.about a ratio of alot/not that many at all. in favor of private.

mweinstone
01-07-2011, 12:11
my first postt on this thread mentions landscpeing and masonary not trail work and ridgerunning. not plug plantin or acorn gathering. not painting trail signs or overseeing campsites. i wanna job. near or on the trail. with folks who are hiker. and not related to a trail orginization. and hopefully a permenent one. with a place. and for a small small amount of stypence.thats it. so may we stop with the rock bars and bramble removal?

Sly
01-07-2011, 12:47
How about bacon chef extraordinaire at the Mountain Diner.

the goat
01-07-2011, 14:19
my first postt on this thread mentions landscpeing and masonary not trail work and ridgerunning. not plug plantin or acorn gathering. not painting trail signs or overseeing campsites. i wanna job. near or on the trail. with folks who are hiker. and not related to a trail orginization. and hopefully a permenent one. with a place. and for a small small amount of stypence.thats it. so may we stop with the rock bars and bramble removal?

have you looked into ridgerunning, or trail work perhaps?

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 08:11
goat hikes with an electric toothbrush and wakes everyone up with its buzzing.

i was the camping counceler at camp log and twig in dingmans ferry in the pocano mountains of northern pa. i had groups of 11 11 year olds come to a permenent campsite each weekend and then lived there alone during the week. it had six platforms gathered around in a circle and a table with one million hot dogs and buns in the worlds biggest cooler. it was 2 miles from the bunkhouses and ii loved that job. i was 18. i used to play weird games when the kids werent there. like stalking truckers by hideing in the bushes on the side of a road and watching them go by. weird things happen to you when your bored and stuck at a crummy campite barren of kids blowing up salamanders with firecrackers. ah,.. the good old days.

sbhikes
01-08-2011, 22:01
Okay matthewski, here is an idea for you. Years ago I did the Nepal Everest trek. The Nepalese can be fairly creative with ways to make $$ off rich foreigners. One day as we were hiking down the trail we came upon a "work crew" with shovels. We were stopped and asked for a donation for trail maintenance before we could pass. We had to sign in to a register book with our names and donation amount. All very "official". From what I could tell, the guys with the shovels moved the same bit of dirt back and forth. They were still working the same bit of trail on our return trip a week and a half later. We knew what was going on, but being rich foreigners we donated a little money anyway. I mean, a hundred rupees was just a couple bucks. Anyway, it's an idea you could shape to suit yourself. If making some cash really was your objective in starting this thread, that is. Heck, you could probably just sit on the trail with a cardboard sign that said only "matthewski" and rake in the dough, probably get more $$ than if you pretended to be doing trail maintenance.

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 22:24
wait, you mean like move rocks off the trail and clear every rock off the trail in pennsylvainia?! you mean , go to the rockyest places and groom te trail smooth while haveing a donation bucket laying about?! wow! that could work. by the time yo did enough smoothing,..say.....two months working 12 hrs a day @ one mile total smoothed,.....folks would be so thankfull and it would put them in such a better mood, they would give me bucks. i can see this. this could work.

next.

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 22:27
can the rocks on the AT trail in the state of pennsylvainia be removed by one hiker ?

how long?

would anyone support such an act?

is it wrong to move the rocks?

should i do this?

generoll
01-08-2011, 23:18
it looks like the rocks in PA were brought in by dumptruck and dumped on the trail. Why couldn't they be just moved off? gotta be a real trail under there somewhere

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 23:40
theres not . but i can make some flat, move some and bury some. is it doable and will anyone pay me?

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 23:45
im thinking in the worst sections i will need a days work to move a tenth of a mile of rock. at best i may be able to do several miles in a day on the lesser sections. with an aveage of one mile a day, its doable in a year.we have 222 miles or there abouts in pa. i would say only 78% are rocks needing moveing. if i collected enough to live on the trail........lol.

sbhikes
01-09-2011, 00:05
No, don't move all the rocks. Just move some of them. Move them from this spot to that one. Then move them back. Just keep moving the same bunch of rocks around pointlessly while asking for donations.

wait, you mean like move rocks off the trail and clear every rock off the trail in pennsylvainia?! you mean , go to the rockyest places and groom te trail smooth while haveing a donation bucket laying about?! wow! that could work. by the time yo did enough smoothing,..say.....two months working 12 hrs a day @ one mile total smoothed,.....folks would be so thankfull and it would put them in such a better mood, they would give me bucks. i can see this. this could work.

next.

mcskinney
01-09-2011, 00:53
Having never seen these rocks or PA or the AT or you I say do it!

If working alone Im guessing you could clear 30-50 ft a day

kayak karl
01-09-2011, 01:07
im thinking in the worst sections i will need a days work to move a tenth of a mile of rock. at best i may be able to do several miles in a day on the lesser sections. with an aveage of one mile a day, its doable in a year.we have 222 miles or there abouts in pa. i would say only 78% are rocks needing moveing. if i collected enough to live on the trail........lol.
you could hire rockhound to help.

mcskinney
01-09-2011, 01:10
Could you use the rocks to build a secret home? You seem well respected here, I don't think anyone here would rat you out, and those few who actually knew where it was would come visit you on thru's.

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 01:11
allready thaught of that. rockhounds to far away. ill bring in day workers from the ranks of hikers. they get a share of that days beggings.lol. then they move on and i do the easy parts.

mcskinney
01-09-2011, 01:15
in some distant year im going to be hiking in PA and say "I thought PA was supposed to be a lot rockier!?!??!"

and someone else will say "yeah, that John Denver's full of $%!# man"

\obscure?

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 01:18
in the last sections, after the media and hikerdom get all into the project, companys will come out with their employes and work for free and give us gear. we will have groopies and a deadcity like at a dead concert. when its all over the roadys wont know where to go and they will tour the trail each year selling pa rocks witch will now be hard to find. and the trails records will be broken for speed cause pa will be easyer. and blister moleskin sales will plumet causeing a drop in the price of moles.some will right books. movies will be made. and when pa is rockfree, theyll say i need to fill in the ruts on the balds. and finaly a zambeeni will be invented that smoothes the whole trail twice a year.

lutefisk
01-10-2011, 10:33
You'll be busted for removing mineral deposits without a permit. That's what these guys (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/20/nyregion/looking-for-caves-but-digging-up-trouble.html?ref=caving) were charged with. The sinkhole was already there before they started. They cleaned out a lot of trash and loose debris, thought it looked promising and kept on digging. They put all the dirt back, but the National Parks Service guy wasn't satisfied so they had to go back and fill it up with leaves, etc.

sbhikes
01-10-2011, 17:10
That's why I say don't really move the rocks. Just look like you are moving them. Move a few from here to there. Then put them back. Then move them again. Then put them back. Just do it when somebody is coming. That's what they were doing in Nepal. Shoveling the same dirt back and forth. They weren't really doing trail work, just pretending so we would donate money. We could tell they were pretending but we donated money anyway.

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 20:39
i would have pretended to donate money.

Gray Blazer
01-11-2011, 08:12
i would have pretended to donate money.

I'm pretending to laugh.