PDA

View Full Version : Sipsey TR & some Gear Reviews

STICK
01-05-2011, 16:50
So, me, my son and a couple of friends made it out to Sipsey this past weekend. I was excited that I got to use my new ULA Circuit so quickly! My total pack weight leaving was 20.6 pounds and that is everything, food for my son and I, my water, fuel and everything else! I learned a few things about my gear as well as got to know some new gear. It was great.

I posted the TR and some gear reviews on my blog:

January Sipsey Wilderness TR & Gear Reviews (http://stick13.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/january-sipsey-wilderness-tr/)

karo
01-05-2011, 18:18
Stick, I am not sure but the pics look like you are on White Oak Hollow Creek. When you go south on the trail from the trailhead, there is a small hill to go over. At the bottom there is a creek to cross and the trail comes to a T junction. If you went left, you went east up WOH. creek. You would have to stay right to follow Thompson Creek to Ship Rock/Eye of the Needle. There is a new trail map available, I got mine at Mountain Crossings in Wren.

karo
01-05-2011, 18:20
BTW, I have been on a few bushwhacks in Sipsey and a good GPS along with a compass and maps are invaluable in Sipsey and Bankhead.

STICK
01-05-2011, 18:29
Karo, I do believe that you are right. I was looking at a map earlier today and that was my conclusion. I did have a map that I printed off the internet (16 pager) and two of us had compasses. Our problem is that we were jsut talking and looking the wrong way at the wrong time. I was talking to my buddy today and IMO the trail sign needs to be on the other side of the creek rather than across the creek at that intersection. The trail at that point is pretty worn going straight ahead and easily looks like the way to go, but obviously it is not. I assume that is an old trail system because there was remnants of trails but by no means were they in good shape. Plus there are a few campsites along the way through there. But oh well, we kept our wits and stayed close to the creek so we knew how to get back no matter what. All in all we had fun!

SouthMark
01-05-2011, 19:11
The trail that you followed up WOH is probably old 205. It was dropped as an officially maintained Forest Service trail over ten years ago. The Sipsey is a designated wilderness area and as such no power tools (chain saws, etc.) are allowed. All of the trail maintenance is by volunteers. I could be wrong but I also think that new signs are not allowed within the wilderness. Most that exist now are left over from before wilderness designation days. The main trails on the east side remain fairly easy to follow because of the high use unlike the west side.

STICK
01-05-2011, 19:30
Yea I remember the trail from the Sipsey TH are pretty good. Oh well, like I said, it was fun. And the small creek served well as a reference point.

STICK
01-05-2011, 19:32
But I will say that the wood at the small bluff we stayed at was definitely cut with some sort of say, and it looked like a chainsaw...but I dunno...there was no chips or saw dust anywhere near but it was awfully clean cuts...

Buffalo Skipper
01-06-2011, 14:10
...I was excited that I got to use my new ULA Circuit so quickly! My total pack weight leaving was 20.6 pounds and that is everything, food for my son and I, my water, fuel and everything else!...

STICK, I would like to hear more abotu your ULA Circuit. I am looking at getting a new (lighter and smaller) pack to replace my Osprey Aether 70 for 2-3 night weekend trips.

Any info on the ULA is welcome. Thanks in advance...

SMSP
01-06-2011, 16:57
Stick - What is the canister stove set-up I saw in the slide show. It had a wind shield of some sort. I am assuming it must belong to one of the other's in your party as you are a alcohol stove user (from what I can tell).

Nice trip report and gear post review. What a great way to start the New Year out!

SMSP

STICK
01-06-2011, 18:17
Nope that was my canister set up too...it is what I started out with when I first started, but then I had to ruin it by playing with alcohol...

Actually quite a lot of my gear was on this trip. I of course had my own, but my wifes pack was out there and my son used some of my stuff and my buddy used pretty much all of my stuff, even some of my clothes...

Anyway, to answer your question SMSP, the stove is a Optimus Crux:
http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/kitchen/stoves-extras/optimus-crux/

And the windscreen is the Primus Universal Windscreen:
http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/kitchen/stoves-extras/primus-universal-windscreen/

I can't remember where I came across the windscreen but I found that it was kind of hard to find one to buy, even on line. I finally found one I think are REI but they are not in stock anymore. Anyway, I have mixed feelings for the windscreen. I have written reviews for both of these products and are on Backpackgeartest.org and have some info on my blog too, which is the links above.

Buffalo Skipper, as far as the Circuit, it is awesome. I am super impressed with it. But I have only had it out once and with a max of 20 pounds (including the pack). I will be taking it out next weekend to the Smokies and will have a little more weight (maybe closer to 30 pounds) so I will see then again.

I have made a few videos around the pack and can be seen on my blog here:
http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/my-current-gear/backpack/ula-circuit/

Also, I have made some comments about the pack in my videos from the hike this thread is referring to. If you have more specific questions feel free to ask me and if I can answer it I will. Also though, check the gear forums, there is a lot of user reviews and info on ULA in general as well as this pack specifically. Hope this helps.

SMSP
01-06-2011, 18:43
Yeah, this backpacking progression thing tends to turn one into there own little outfitter for family and friends, which is a good thing because then they cant say they do not have any gear to go, no more excuses.

At the rate I'm going, I'll be able to outfit a Boy Scout Troop soon, nah, not really, but at least a couple of other folks.

SMSP

karo
01-06-2011, 19:23
I also want to add that I like your trip reports and gear reviews. Also one reason that both trails are well worn is because the trail left is a shortcut to the Big Tree. White Oak Hollow Creek trail turns south after the first major stream you meet. It goes right and uphill to old 205. Turn left and look on your right for the first trail down a drainage continuing south. Follow this rough trail down and past West Bee creek to East Bee and left or east up the canyon to the big tree. The Champion Popular is the largest tree in Alabama.

karo
01-06-2011, 19:24
Trail maintenance is allowed in Sipsey with hand powered Crosscut saws, pruners, etc.

chili36
01-09-2011, 14:43
When reading the trip report, the first thing I thought was you went up WOH.

I did that about 8 years ago and about a quarter mile in, I second guessed and saw the trail when I got back down the ravine.

A couple months ago, there was a sign just across WO Creek on the trail toward ship rock.

Glad you had a good time. Nice report.

STICK
01-09-2011, 15:23
Thanks Chili36. Yeah, we saw the sign across the creek as we were on our way back out the next day. We went in quite a ways though, but it was all good. Also, IMO that sign would have been better placed on the other side of the creek were it would have been a little more noticeable coming from the Thompson Creek TH. Of course once I saw it it sticks out, but the trail is well worn going straight at that point and it if not looking for it it is easy to miss... :)

chili36
01-09-2011, 17:51
Exactly. You aren't going to see the sign unless you make the turn toward Ship Rock, lol.

I almost missed the turn on the last trip and I was looking for it. The fact it was about 10 at night didn't help.

Bama Jack & Sadie
01-16-2011, 17:30
Did the Sipsey loop of 201/202/209/*205*/201 all in the snow 1/15/11. The 205 has asterisks because that section on my map never materialized. Thankfully there was enough foot traffic in the snow to stay on the trail. Following the river was easy enough, having to cross the river and then scramble to find the 201 connector was unnerving as it was getting close to dark. If you are used to trails with a blaze now and again, be prepared as you will only have trail markers or signs of any kind at trail intersections. Now that I am a little more familiar with that loop, I look forward to returning. Lots of good campsites along the river although all were still under a couple of inches of snow. Thanks to STICKS for providing maps, they were a big help for sure.

STICK
01-16-2011, 20:53
Glad the maps helped and glad that you had a great time. Did you take any pics? I am sure it was very beautiful out there with all the snow. I bet the snowy river banks looked sweet...

karo
01-16-2011, 23:49
We should plan a trip down there real soon. I know of several other trails that are not in Sipsey but still in Bankhead.

The Solemates
07-25-2011, 12:14
i just did a brief overview of my trip to sipsey this weekend. check it out on my blog.

karo
07-25-2011, 12:22
i just did a brief overview of my trip to sipsey this weekend. check it out on my blog.
Give us a link to your blog, I always like to read the trip reports.

The Solemates
07-25-2011, 22:53
its in my signature

karo
07-25-2011, 23:45
its in my signature Sorry, did not notice the fine print at first. Great pics, thanks for sharing.