PDA

View Full Version : State Laws

catskillshiker
01-05-2011, 17:10
I put this together for a friend who is hiking the at when he gets back from his deployment next month. Figured I would share. Feel free to message me if you see something that should be added.

ERNIEK
01-05-2011, 18:05
I read them all and this may be off topic, but I am curious. The wife and I always take our golden retriever hiking with us. I think she enjoys the woods as much as we do. Do folks take their dogs on thru hikes, if so. What does a person do when they get to SMNP. We have always wondered.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2011, 18:09
Do folks take their dogs on thru hikes, if so. What does a person do when they get to SMNP. We have always wondered.

yes folks attempt thru-hikes with dogs but most never make it. too tough on the dog but when and if they get to the Smokys they have to kennel the dog for a week and have it delivered to them at davenport gap. about $250

Feral Bill
01-05-2011, 18:32
FYI hitchhiking IS legal in New York.

FatherTime09
01-05-2011, 18:50
As an aside.. good reference for hitchhiking laws-->
http://www.digihitch.com/usa428.html

They also have a printable guide-->
http://guides.digihitch.com/laws

fiddlehead
01-05-2011, 18:52
Makes me so sad to see all of those states that say hitchiking is illegal.
Where is the freedom so many have worked so hard to (supposedly) maintain?

How do people get around?
Or are these laws something the police turn their head from as they know how ridiculous it is to make it a crime to pick someone up in need?

by the way, camping in PA away from shelters is not OK except for thru-hikers on State Game Land (which is much of what the AT goes through in the area where I come from) (Swatara through Rt 309 anyway)

Tuckahoe
01-05-2011, 19:11
There are some corrections that should be made especially regarding Virginia and handgun possession (or states with similar laws). Virginia is a right to carry state and as such there is no license necessary to posses a handgun or to openly carry a handgun. The only license that is necessary is one to carry concealed.

Additionally I would like to know what your source is for the illegality of a bowie in Virginia. The law on illegal knives, etc. states --

§ 18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.
If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like weapons, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.
(Code 1950, § 18.1-271; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1985, c. 394; 1988, c. 359.)

The only other section of Virginia law is --

Virginia Code Section 18.2-308 - Prohibits the carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or any weapon of like kind by any person hidden from common observance about his person. Any of the enumerated weapons shall be seized and forfeited to the Commonwealth. A weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

The quoted section only means that a bowie knife may not be carried concealed, otherwise it is legal.

catskillshiker
01-05-2011, 21:13

I would use caution. While the laws claim the hitchhiker must be off the road, it is common practice for police to force hitchhikers to stop, and if they refuse issue disorderly conduct tickets. (I have seen it happen many times. I was forced to stop 2x near Pawling) It is illegal to hitchhike on or near the thruway however.

Feral Bill
01-05-2011, 21:15
As an aside.. good reference for hitchhiking laws-->
http://www.digihitch.com/usa428.html

They also have a printable guide-->
http://guides.digihitch.com/laws

People should note that "roadway" does not include shoulders or sidewalks, thus in states using the UVC prohibition on standing in a roadway to solicit rides do not prohibit hitching off the roadside. Police attitudes may differ but they do not get to make uo their own laws.

Feral Bill
01-05-2011, 21:16
I would use caution. While the laws claim the hitchhiker must be off the road, it is common practice for police to force hitchhikers to stop, and if they refuse issue disorderly conduct tickets. (I have seen it happen many times) It is illegal to hitchhike on or near the thruway however.

That would be a false arrest, worth sicking a lawyer on them.

catskillshiker
01-05-2011, 21:19
@Tuckahoe64

Thanks for the info on Virginia, I forgot about that. I will correct that. I used handgunlaw.us for the knife laws. If in a pack it could be argued it would be concealed.

catskillshiker
01-05-2011, 21:23
corrected information

Tuckahoe
01-05-2011, 21:32
Handgun Possession Legal- Yes with valid permit or reciprocity or Open Carry Required (if in an establishment that serves alcohol, handgun must be carried openly)

Your correction is still not legally correct. Concealed carry is permitted in any establishment that has an ABC license as long as the CHP holder does not drink.

Tuckahoe
01-05-2011, 21:35
@Tuckahoe64

Thanks for the info on Virginia, I forgot about that. I will correct that. I used handgunlaw.us for the knife laws. If in a pack it could be argued it would be concealed.

That is all well and good, but where in Virginia law does it say that a bowie knife is illegal.

max patch
01-05-2011, 21:43
Perhaps things have changed, but the last time I was in CT you had to camp at shelters or designated campsites only.

catskillshiker
01-05-2011, 21:47
That is all well and good, but where in Virginia law does it say that a bowie knife is illegal.

Go to the knife law sections. For Virginia it claims bowie knives are illegal.

Cookerhiker
01-05-2011, 21:51
First of all, I recommend you re-name your "Camping Away from Shelters Legal" category to "Camping Away from Shelters and Other Designated Camping Areas Legal" because some states have designated camping sites that are not shelters.

And 2 of those states are relevant here: NJ and CT allow camping only at designated locations - shelters and designated campsites.

And then there's NY. According to the official Guide to the AT in NY and NJ, camping in NY is also forbidden except in designated areas. However, I don't believe this is a legal prohibition east of the Hudson. Rather it appears the NYNJTC exercised some editorial discretion in the latest (and only the latest) guidebook to insert this "prohibition."

catskillshiker
01-05-2011, 21:56
Thanks! Got it down.

First of all, I recommend you re-name your "Camping Away from Shelters Legal" category to "Camping Away from Shelters and Other Designated Camping Areas Legal" because some states have designated camping sites that are not shelters.

And 2 of those states are relevant here: NJ and CT allow camping only at designated locations - shelters and designated campsites.

And then there's NY. According to the official Guide to the AT in NY and NJ, camping in NY is also forbidden except in designated areas. However, I don't believe this is a legal prohibition east of the Hudson. Rather it appears the NYNJTC exercised some editorial discretion in the latest (and only the latest) guidebook to insert this "prohibition."

Tuckahoe
01-05-2011, 21:59
Go to the knife law sections. For Virginia it claims bowie knives are illegal.

I have provided you with the relevent Virginia law regarding illegal knives as well as the law regarding concealed weapons. I think it is up to you to show where in Virginia law the bowie is deemed illegal.

catskillshiker
01-05-2011, 22:01
Thanks, the law changed in April of 2010. I was down there in 2009 and knew of the old regulations. That is the problem with many state laws, they change a lot!

Your correction is still not legally correct. Concealed carry is permitted in any establishment that has an ABC license as long as the CHP holder does not drink.

catskillshiker
01-05-2011, 22:09
I have provided you with the relevent Virginia law regarding illegal knives as well as the law regarding concealed weapons. I think it is up to you to show where in Virginia law the bowie is deemed illegal.

I am not a lawyer. I found a citation claiming the bowie knife was illegal in VA so I included it. It may legal, it may not be legal. I put this together as a general overview, not legal advice.

Here is the quotation of the knife law interpretation I found "dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, razor are illegal." It is not my interpretation.

Tuckahoe
01-06-2011, 08:01
Here is the quotation of the knife law interpretation I found "dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, razor are illegal to conceal."

There fixed it for you.

Cosmo
01-06-2011, 19:09
Same for Mass too. Camping at designated sites only. No campfires in CT, or a the southernmost Mass campsite (Laurel Ridge).

Never heard of anyone being charged or even hassled for hitch-hiking near the trail. No hitch-hiking on the Mass Pike (I-90).

FYI, conviction of possession of a handgun in Mass w/o a license is a mandatory one year sentence.

Cosmo

Blissful
01-06-2011, 20:20

I thought it was illegal in NY and NJ

Feral Bill
01-06-2011, 20:25
I thought it was illegal in NY and NJ
Not in NY. Some law enforcement may like to think it is.

Blissful
01-06-2011, 20:30
Not in NY. Some law enforcement may like to think it is.

huh didn't know that, thanks

lsglass
01-30-2011, 20:50
@Tuckahoe64

That would be a false arrest, worth sicking a lawyer on them.

I am somewhat perplexed by all this. For instance, I look in the Companion and I see some towns in Maine characterized as a 'hard hitch'. But then hitchhiking is illegal in Maine. ????

And I don't think most of us want to debate the law with an officer while we are hiking.

I don't see how one gets resupplied along the way without sometimes breaking the law and risking arrest.

lsglass
01-30-2011, 20:52
Eh, well, I should have pointed to a hitching-related post, not one about knives, sorry.

Tuckahoe
01-30-2011, 21:07
Well with a quick google search, it should be easy to find the various state laws regarding hitchhiking.

A less than 5 second search turned up this hitcher's website -- http://www.hitchhiker.50megs.com/index.html

And he has a section with brief sections of state laws regarding hitching -- http://www.hitchhiker.50megs.com/custom.html

lsglass
01-30-2011, 21:22
Well with a quick google search, it should be easy to find the various state laws regarding hitchhiking.

A less than 5 second search turned up this hitcher's website -- http://www.hitchhiker.50megs.com/index.html

And he has a section with brief sections of state laws regarding hitching -- http://www.hitchhiker.50megs.com/custom.html

Thanks, but the OP contained a summary of state laws as they pertain to the AT. Per the document, hitching is illegal in NJ, MD, TN, PA, ME, and iffy in NY. I'm just pointing out that with this much restriction, I don't see how you develop a resupply plan that doesn't require you to violate the law at some point. Maybe I'm missing something.

Panzer1
01-30-2011, 22:18
mostly common sense in regard to carrying knives. Just don't carry those crazy big crocodile Dundee knives.

Panzer (... now THAT'S a knife!)

mweinstone
01-30-2011, 22:52
laundrymats and dollar stores. thems my hitchin grounds from town. i wave a twenty, or a ten sometimes, they stop shopping, they take their clothes damp. with all the poor folks its nice to offer some work. road hitchins fer commin to town.
and my #1 best invention ever for hitchin?:

hitch with one boot and one crock on. they fall for it every time. awww, the poor hikers hurt his foot.

i use a crutch on planes to board last and deplane first.
lmao.

AndyBees
01-30-2011, 23:14
Reckon the Criminals register their handguns in Massachuettes? What a law!

I guess the Mass legislature had never read the US Constitution or the Bill of Rights when they passed that law!

rickb
01-30-2011, 23:25
Reckon the Criminals register their handguns in Massachuettes? What a law!

I guess the Mass legislature had never read the US Constitution or the Bill of Rights when they passed that law!

Massachusetts even requires a FID (Firearm Identification Card) to legally carry pepper spray.

mweinstone
01-30-2011, 23:30
can hikers be arrested for begging when in fact their doing a clean yogi?

when campfire flame heights are inforced, is their a mesuring stick for this?

if 100 hikers legaly sleep in the pavillion in port clinton , and snor really loud, are they causing a disturbance if the dogs bark at the snorring all nite?

if a ranger finds a littering ticket littered on the ground, does he issue a second ticket or return it and assume it was lost?

if one of every kind of endangered animal in a perticular area , all in a stampeed, charge at you and in a panic while flailing your arms you accedently eat all of them , what happens?

AndyBees
01-30-2011, 23:46
Massachusetts even requires a FID (Firearm Identification Card) to legally carry pepper spray.

Although its been only 8 years since I crossed into Canada to head for Alaska, I'm sure things have changed big time. (passport to get back in USA). I use to declare my 30-06 and they wouldn't even ask to see it! Now, there is a ton of paper work and a fee!

Anyway, pepper spray was on the list of questions the Canada border guards ask.......

Wow, a Bic lighter and a can of carb cleaner could be far more dangerous...........Wasp and Horent Spray...... the kind that can shoot to the top or your house!

We have too many ill concieved laws and not enough enforcement of the old tried and proven ones!

When I was a kid growing up, all the boys carried a pocket knife! Today, that would get a kid expelled and trashed in the local news paper.

emerald
01-31-2011, 00:10
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21654

Roland
01-31-2011, 03:57
When I was a kid growing up, all the boys carried a pocket knife! Today, that would get a kid expelled and trashed in the local news paper.

Ain't that the truth.

To our generation, a knife was a tool, not a weapon. Today, that knife is sometimes used to fight with and to stab others. Students have taken guns to school, with the intention of shooting and killing other school children. And, at times, they've succeeded.

It's a different world than we were brought up in. I guess that's why we need different rules.

endubyu
01-31-2011, 11:12
Blade limits on knives? Where is the limit on that - just out side the home? Or are chefs limited to knife blades under 3 inches? How about in the kitchen? Can no one in MA have a blade longer than 2.5"? Too much crap! The more I read about doing this trail the less I want to do it.

endubyu
01-31-2011, 11:13
Are they really gonna stop me for WALKING?

swjohnsey
01-31-2011, 12:03
Cops everywhere on the trail stopin' folks, checkin' blade length.

The Weasel
01-31-2011, 12:43
Time for me to report Law for Backpackers 101, and then update it.

TW

The Weasel
01-31-2011, 12:43
Time for me to report Law for Backpackers 101, and then update it.

TW

Edit:

Time to rePOST it.

TW

emerald
01-31-2011, 13:31
No need for others to attempt to reinvent the wheel since it still serves its intended purpose.:)

emerald
01-31-2011, 14:00
There are many land owners/management agencies in Pennsylvania and each has its own policies. Be advised some of what comes under the general heading of LNT guidelines elsewhere on the A.T. is a matter of law here.

The best way to become informed about the various land owners/managers and their specific policies is to purchase and read KTA's Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania before visiting. It would also be a good idea to stop and review the regulations posted at points of entry.

Contrary to what was indicated earlier in this thread, hitchhiking in Pennsylvania is not prohibited generally. A more detailed explanation including the relevant code is available here (http://www.digihitch.com/usa357.html).

Cookerhiker
01-31-2011, 16:46
I don't remember what the OP's list said for Maryland but this recent thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68890) specifies from a good source that camping is limited to designated areas.

AndyBees
01-31-2011, 21:41
As I read about all the regulations here and there being different, etc., I'm beginning to give this whole idea second thoughts.

A fish f

AndyBees
01-31-2011, 21:49
I apologize for the previous unfinished post.......... I don't understand how to edit.

Anyway, as I read about all the regulations being different here and there, etc., I'm beginning to give this whole idea second thoughts. Although I was an MP 40 years ago and have worked with law enforcement departments, I don't want to feel like at every turn in the trail I'll be subject to search! I have nothing to hide, but our POLICE STATE is getting out of hand!

A fish fillet knife in a sheath would violate a rule somewhere! That is absolutely rediculious. What about a kitchen knife to cut up food.......... I know that sounds extreme since most everyone will be eating hydrated de-hydrated food!

Is all this really as serious at it seems to be unfolding? Has there been a rash of hikers threatened by people carrying "weapons?" Are the Hiking Sticks considered potential weapons? Is there a restriction on what kind of Hiking Stick can be used?

Seems this whole thing is way out in left field!

Cookerhiker
01-31-2011, 22:04
I apologize for the previous unfinished post.......... I don't understand how to edit.....

Here's how (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=donating_member) you can edit your posts.

swjohnsey
01-31-2011, 22:19
I apologize for the previous unfinished post.......... I don't understand how to edit.

Anyway, as I read about all the regulations being different here and there, etc., I'm beginning to give this whole idea second thoughts. Although I was an MP 40 years ago and have worked with law enforcement departments, I don't want to feel like at every turn in the trail I'll be subject to search! I have nothing to hide, but our POLICE STATE is getting out of hand!

A fish fillet knife in a sheath would violate a rule somewhere! That is absolutely rediculious. What about a kitchen knife to cut up food.......... I know that sounds extreme since most everyone will be eating hydrated de-hydrated food!

Is all this really as serious at it seems to be unfolding? Has there been a rash of hikers threatened by people carrying "weapons?" Are the Hiking Sticks considered potential weapons? Is there a restriction on what kind of Hiking Stick can be used?

Seems this whole thing is way out in left field!

Yep, sounds like the AT is way to parinoid for you.

AndyBees
01-31-2011, 22:41
Yep, sounds like the AT is way to parinoid for you.

No paranoia dude, ............sure don't want to walk/hike into to a 3rd world state and get stuck with some silly charge over nothing and ruin my hike, etc. Not worth it to me.

Now on the other hand, if all the hype is just that, hype, then it's nothing to be all fired up about!

I've read numerous journals and not seen anything about the laws/rules being an issue!:D

AndyBees
01-31-2011, 23:03
Blade limits on knives? Where is the limit on that - just out side the home? Or are chefs limited to knife blades under 3 inches? How about in the kitchen? Can no one in MA have a blade longer than 2.5"? Too much crap! The more I read about doing this trail the less I want to do it.

Man, I feel the same way!

The US Forest Service has owned land here where I live since 1939 (D Boone Forest). Until the mid-to-late 80s we never saw a Ranger but once or twice per year,,,,,,,,,, and always friendly.

Well, that's all changed. They are out in full force ticketing people on non-Forest Service roads for petty stuff! They look at every individual as if they are a criminal! Places we use to camp, fish, hike, etc., are now developed with "tons" of regulations. And, sadly, there are no "tourist" from outside the area that use these facilities. It is the same locals just a new generation! There are no parking signs right where we parked for years and years........... mind you, this is a remote gravel road that might have five cars per day max!

Reminds me of a song back in the late 60s or early 70s, Signs....signs everywhere....don't do this, stay out,............. just Ranting!:D

swjohnsey
01-31-2011, 23:11
No paranoia dude, ............sure don't want to walk/hike into to a 3rd world state and get stuck with some silly charge over nothing and ruin my hike, etc. Not worth it to me.

Now on the other hand, if all the hype is just that, hype, then it's nothing to be all fired up about!

I've read numerous journals and not seen anything about the laws/rules being an issue!:D

Me either.

endubyu
02-01-2011, 00:41
"And the turtles, of course...all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be."
— Dr. Seuss

I'm gonna just grab my gear and go for a long walk - no other worries til it becomes something to worry about

endubyu
02-01-2011, 10:40
Massachusetts knife law:

16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited.
No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2½ ) inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except:

a. When actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or

b. In going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or

c. If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported.

emerald
02-01-2011, 11:32

You shouldn't believe everything you read in trail journals.

Some seem to believe ignorance is bliss until they find out otherwise. Enforcement and reinforcement take many forms on the A.T., some of it dispensed by other hikers.

People who insist upon disregarding commonly accepted standards of behavior will find their experience diminished and their probability of success reduced.

Personal conduct on the A.T. shouldn't be motivated by avoiding enforcement, but rather should stem from a genuine desire to protect resources and goodwill for the betterment of everyone not the least of which those who follow where others have gone before them.

endubyu
02-01-2011, 15:19
Gun law from the ATF publication 5300.4

§ 926A Interstate transportation of
firearms.
Notwithstanding any other provisions of
any law or any rule or regulation of a
State or any political subdivision therof,
any person who is not otherwise prohibited
by this chapter from transporting,
shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be
entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful
purpose from any place where he may
lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
any other place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm if, during
such transportation the firearm is
unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any
ammunition being transported is readily
accessible or is directly accessible from
the passenger compartment of such
transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
the case of a vehicle without a compartment
separate from the driver’s compartment,
the firearm or ammunition shall be
contained in a locked container other than
the glove compartment or console.

For the areas you want to carry your pistol and can't get a permit, lock it in a box and stick it in your pack. National law protects your right to do so.

emerald
02-01-2011, 23:05
ATC strongly discourages hikers from carrying firearms: Most experienced A.T. hikers consider them impractical and unnecessary, and encountering an armed stranger makes many people uncomfortable. To legally carry a firearm on the Trail, you must meet the permitting standards of the state (http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/State_and_Territories.shtml) and locality in which you are hiking. On national-park lands, discharging a firearm is illegal, even if you have a legal permit to carry it. Extra efforts may be required to secure weapons in towns to abide by local ordinances and private-property owners' rules. (Firearm rules vary by land ownership. The Trail crosses 14 states and more than 90 state, federal, or local agency lands, with each having its own rules and regulations; you are responsible for knowing and following those rules.) In areas of the Trail corridor where hunting is legal, hikers may see hunters carrying firearms. Hunters must abide by their own set of firearm rules, somewhat separate from firearm-carry rules but also varying by state and county.

endubyu
02-02-2011, 11:41
To legally carry a firearm on the Trail, you must meet the permitting standards of the state (http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/State_and_Territories.shtml) and locality in which you are hiking
That would be the "notwithstanding" part in
Notwithstanding any other provisions of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision therof...

The topic is state law and the OP included firearms so I expanded on that. We are trying to understand all the laws and be law abiding hikers, otherwise this wouldn't have been a very long thread. Of course we all want to be conscious of other hikers and their concerns as well, but we should all know by our mature ages that not everyone will be happy with everything we do no matter how hard we try to please them. Thus it is with guns. And knives, and dogs for that matter. OP included dogs as well which makes many people uncomfortable when encountering them.

I was distraught at the all of the limitations! Going for a hike should not be this complex or complicated. My blade is 5.25" and was designed by a chef and outdoor enthusiast specifically for back-country, but according to the OP it is illegal in CT so I checked for myself which prompted the knife response. It also compelled me to research the weapon issue as I hike with a staff as opposed to trekking poles. It's interesting the things that are considered weapons. You should be concerned too - how long before a trekking pole becomes a weapon in MA or NJ or NY? Or you have to acquire $100 permits to carry them through CT?

endubyu
02-02-2011, 11:58
Oh and by the way - that 5.25" blade requires a weapon permit in GA as does any knife blade more than 5". Reciprocity applies.

mountainpass
03-07-2011, 13:40
Oh and by the way - that 5.25" blade requires a weapon permit in GA as does any knife blade more than 5". Reciprocity applies.

Yes that is correct.

Can anyone shed some light on North Carolina's firearms laws?

As I see it one must carry a .22 with a barrel of 7.5" or less.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/NewsReleases/041410_Concealed_Carry_Permit_for_Firearms_Prompts _Questions.htm

QUESTION: I hold a North Carolina concealed carry permit. May I carry my concealed carry firearm on game lands when it isn’t a hunting season?
ANSWER: Game land regulations allow .22 caliber pistols, with barrels not greater than seven and a half inches in length and shooting only short, long or long rifle ammunition, to be carried as a sidearm on game lands at any time, other than by hunters during the special bow and arrow and muzzleloading deer hunting seasons.
QUESTION: I saw a news report that firearms are now allowed in “national parks.” What does this mean?
ANSWER: People who legally possess firearms under federal and state law can now possess those firearms in the national parks in that state. National parks should not be confused with national forests. National parks are under the U.S. Department of Interior, while national forests are under the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
National forests in North Carolina, such as Nantahala, Pisgah, Uwharrie and Croatan, are designated as game lands and all state game-land regulations apply.

Under game land regulations, it is unlawful to possess a firearm or bow and arrow on a game land at any time, except:
•During the open hunting seasons for game birds and game animals
•When the firearm is cased or not immediately available for use
•When possessed and used by participants in field trials on field trial areas
•When possessed and used on target shooting areas designated by the landowner
•When possessed in designated camping areas for defense of persons and property
Game land regulations allow .22 caliber pistols, with barrels not greater than seven and a half inches in length and shooting only short, long or long rifle ammunition, to be carried as a sidearm on game lands at any time, other than by hunters during the special bow and arrow and muzzleloading deer hunting seasons.

Other notable state laws:
•Loaded firearms are prohibited at all N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission public access areas (boat ramps) and public fishing areas.