PDA

View Full Version : The Appalachian Trail Food Planner

Bucho
01-05-2011, 17:13
I saw someone bring this book up in another thread and am considering getting it but I'd love to hear some reviews as opposed to purchasing site unseen. In particular does it have a lot of recipes that I can make with what I'll have access to on the trail or is it more about mail drops?

Also are there other cookbooks that people would recommend?

Rocket Jones
01-05-2011, 18:04
Trailcooking.com (http://www.trailcooking.com/)

Many more out there, just look around or search here.

lonewolftrekker
01-05-2011, 21:05
I have it and it would be weighty food

veteran
01-06-2011, 10:05
A Fork in the Trail (http://www.aforkinthetrail.com/) by Laurie Ann March

Blissful
01-06-2011, 10:44
I used it for '07 and some for this last hike, They have great recipes for dinners which I use a lot. They recommend drying canned chicken and that has been great. So is the dried beef recipe. The snack foods, cookies, etc I wasn't thrilled about and, yes were heavy.

FarmRookie DGH
01-17-2011, 18:40
So, what do though hikers typically eat?

sarbar
01-18-2011, 17:14
So, what do though hikers typically eat?
Anything they like :D In all seriousness though - it comes down to if you like planning or if you want to eat on the fly.

Pedaling Fool
01-18-2011, 17:36
Anything they like :D In all seriousness though - it comes down to if you like planning or if you want to eat on the fly.
That about sums it up. Especially the "Anything they like" comment. I ate anything and everything in town. IMO the hiker's appetite is one of the best aspects of a thruhike.

Northern Lights
01-18-2011, 22:59
I saw someone bring this book up in another thread and am considering getting it but I'd love to hear some reviews as opposed to purchasing site unseen. In particular does it have a lot of recipes that I can make with what I'll have access to on the trail or is it more about mail drops?

Also are there other cookbooks that people would recommend?

I have it and really like it, I also have a fork in the trail and a couple of others. But I like the recipes in the food planner the best.

rustmd
01-27-2011, 11:10
Fork in the Trail is a great book for dehydrating meals. Book has many tips, good for getting started. AT Food Planner also has some great recipes for dehydrating meals. Some of the ATFP ideas for snacks weigh more but also suggest good variety.

I use both books, plus a lot of websites. The more I read, the more I can create on my own. I look for nutrition, low-weight, low-fuel use & variety.

dottie

spindle
01-29-2011, 18:17
It's a good book. Get the resident authors cookbooks too, if you plan to pre-prepare food for mail drops.

Honestly, you'll eat whatever you encounter on the trail, and will make up spontaneous "recipes" as you go.