PDA

View Full Version : I could be on to something!

Sierra Echo
01-05-2011, 17:41
So I'm planning on thru hiking Ga in May. Last night at REI I tried a Osprey Chick pack on. (hated it by the way)
I had the woman put in 35 lbs. Now I know thats a bit heavy, but I dont know yet how much I will be carrying and I wanted to experience a worst case scenerio. I don't have to tell anyone who has hiked with a big pack how weighted down you feel. So I started thinking, how could I train for this. The ideal way would be to get a pack and start packing it with weight and going hiking. But I went one better. What about a weighted vest? You could wear that around the house while doing chores, etc.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find&ta=1&search_query=weighted%20vest

You could even wear that on the trail. And they are adjustable, so you can start light and work up!

I did do a search on this and didnt find any topics, so If someone has already posted it, sorry!

lori
01-05-2011, 17:49
I'd try other packs first. When properly fitted, you'll feel the weight, but it won't be that bad. The right pack will let you carry 30 lbs without feeling it that much.

Osprey seems to work for some and totally not work for others - count me in the not work category. I wanted to like the Exos, the Aura, etc but that frame just rides in the wrong place, can't do it, feels like someone slipped a VW in the pack.

Then once you have a pack that works better, start dayhiking with weight in. Best way to prep for hiking with a backpack is hiking with a backpack. Weight vest will not carry the same, at all.

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-05-2011, 18:20
I agree with Lori... train with a pack. The weight would be distributed differently, and the belt takes weight off your spine, transfers it to your hips. Also, you can experiment with your actual gear, see how loading it in different ways changes your balance/ability to bear weight.

scope
01-05-2011, 19:10
I think its a great idea in theory, especially in terms of being able to train yourself in doing sort of everyday walking around and such, like doing stuff around the house which you can't really do with a pack on. However, I think its expensive for the potential benefit. I think a good, standard cardio workout with some standard strength training will make it a lot easier. Then you can spend that dough on other gear. You know you'll be buying more gear, right? Sorry to say, it never ends.

Helios
01-05-2011, 19:56
I have 3 packs, and am considing making my own. Each carry a bit differently.

Any form of cardio exercise is great. For backpacking, the only real training is to backpack.

Fog Horn
01-05-2011, 20:25
I've done both the pack with a set amount of weight, and a version of the weighted vest (body armor). It is a huge difference even if they are the same weight. Its situated different on your body, and its rests on different parts of the body. It also seems to me, and maybe someone else could weigh in on this in case its just me, that the weighted vest option seems a lot harder on my knees and ankles than a properly fitted pack.

Also something to keep in mind if you do go with your vest around the house idea, its not exactly healthy for your back and joints to stress them with that much extra weight while doing things you might not be using proper form on. For example, if you sit with a slouch, adding weight to that will hurt you. If you bend wrong when you pick things up, if you slouch while doing the dishes, stuff like this.

Sierra Echo
01-05-2011, 22:46
I think its a great idea in theory, especially in terms of being able to train yourself in doing sort of everyday walking around and such, like doing stuff around the house which you can't really do with a pack on. However, I think its expensive for the potential benefit. I think a good, standard cardio workout with some standard strength training will make it a lot easier. Then you can spend that dough on other gear. You know you'll be buying more gear, right? Sorry to say, it never ends.

I know! I still have to get a one chick tent and a sleeping bag and pad.
Im stocking up for an expedition!
As for working out, I do that everyday! I think that osprey was just a really really really bad fit. It put the worst pressure on my kidneys and lower back!

Fog Horn
01-05-2011, 23:36
I know! I still have to get a one chick tent and a sleeping bag and pad.
Im stocking up for an expedition!
As for working out, I do that everyday! I think that osprey was just a really really really bad fit. It put the worst pressure on my kidneys and lower back!

What I have heard the most around here is get your gear and THEN get your pack.

STICK
01-05-2011, 23:44
It also matters how the pack is packed. I found out that adding a few sleeping bags with a few weights in a pack at a store is not quite the same as packing your gear in the pack the way it should be...it jsut doesn't carry the same...of course this comes back to what has already been posted...get your gear and then the pack...

Good Luck! :)

buzzamania
01-06-2011, 02:50
Skip all of that and get on the most brutal stairclimber machine you can find every other day for an hour along with actual hikes and you'll be ship shape for your hike and almost anything else.

Storm
01-06-2011, 04:31
I had the same idea. Bought a weight vest a walmart and threw in 20 pounds of weight. Walked 4 miles and have been nursing a sciatic nerve problem ever since.

I logged over 1200 miles with my pack last year and had no problems. One short walk with the vest and whammo. Might say it was just a coincedence but I'm not putting that thing on again.

Sierra Echo
01-06-2011, 08:39
Skip all of that and get on the most brutal stairclimber machine you can find every other day for an hour along with actual hikes and you'll be ship shape for your hike and almost anything else.

That isn't going to build up my back muscles. I'm in trail shape already.

fredmugs
01-06-2011, 09:03
I have 3 packs, and am considing making my own. Each carry a bit differently.

Any form of cardio exercise is great. For backpacking, the only real training is to backpack.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is the biggest misconception on this site. The only real training for backpacking is NOT backpacking.

Right now I am doing some intitial planning for a 175 mile section hike in Maine. Number of days I will have a pack on before my first day = ZERO. Miles I plan to do on Day 1 = 20. Training I will do beforehand = riding an exercise bike and a real bike.

If you already are in good (or better) cardio shape the only real thing you need to do is toughen up your feet. If you already walk or run you should have no problems. I am assuming, of course, you do not have pre-existing problems which it sounds like you do not.

As far as a pack is concerned - fit is key. I have a 15 ounce GoLite pack that I hate, a 4.5 pound military pack that I like, and a 2.5 pound Swiss Gear pack that I bought at Sam's Club that I love and will use in Maine.

I don't think a weighted vest is going to help much above what you are already doing.

Black Wolf
01-06-2011, 14:08
"The best way you can prepare for an event...is by participating in it.!" -Bruce Lee
"You can't learn to swim without getting wet.!" - Tracy Moorehead