PDA

View Full Version : If there is a broom in the shelter do you sweep the floor?

Former Admin
11-22-2002, 22:48
If there is a broom in the shelter do you sweep the floor?

Hikerhead
11-22-2002, 23:26
.....after the x get's done riding the darn thing.:D

Just joking, i should had said after she gets done using it on me.:mad:

Former Admin
11-22-2002, 23:30
you can't sweep that mess up .......... now I know why you carry Messy Wipes

Hikerhead
11-22-2002, 23:34
You're in the wrong poll. Move over to the POOP poll.:p

Former Admin
11-22-2002, 23:40
LMAO ........ while im listening to some Steve Marriot blues ---- your old enough to remember him im sure

Hikerhead
11-22-2002, 23:49
I'm sure I am, but the name doesn't ring a bell. If you like the dude then he must be allright.

Footslogger
11-23-2002, 13:32
Only if no one is still sleeping !!:)

Jaybird
02-13-2004, 12:44
LMAO ........ while im listening to some Steve Marriot blues ---- your old enough to remember him im sure

WOW! Steve Marriot...havent heard that guitar-slinging name in awhile....

listen to Humble Pie records too? or Framptons Camel?

i usually sweep-up after myself! :D

see ya'll UP the trail!

okpik
02-13-2004, 16:16
When I leave, LNT.
I will do it when I get there as well if needed. :sun

Even if there is no broom, I find a way to improvise.

eyahiker
05-16-2004, 18:03
Upon arrival/pre sleeping bag set up:)

Buckingham
08-23-2005, 13:21
I don't even sweep up at home, that's what I got married for.

Don't tell my wife I said that or she'll find a new place to store the broom.:eek:

Panzer1
08-23-2005, 13:26
I always sweep, as long as it is practical...

Panzer

Icicle
08-23-2005, 13:36
We came across quite a few shelters that didn't have brooms...should have written down which ones... it's lovely to be the last one leaving the shelter and giving them a good sweep...leaves it nice for the next nights guests. :)

Tin Man
08-23-2005, 13:40
If a sweep is needed, I sweep, but when you are looking at dirt under your feet all day, it has to be pretty obvious before I get out the broom.

My brother and I met another section hiker 2 years ago who came into the shelter after we laid out our bags and swept up a small dust storm that left us coughing and our bags a little dirty. :mad: I think we said something like, "that was helpful". It did not look like it needed sweeping, but there was enough dust to prove otherwise. Lesson learned: When you are first in the shelter, hide the broom! :p

Hasty
01-18-2007, 21:24
There were 2 guys who, I think, died from contracting a Hanta virus. It is thought that they got it from dust from mouse doots while sweeping out their shelter.

Gray Blazer
01-18-2007, 21:28
There were 2 guys who, I think, died from contracting a Hanta virus. It is thought that they got it from dust from mouse doots while sweeping out their shelter.Good reason not to sleep in shelters.

Bravo
01-18-2007, 21:33
There were 2 guys who, I think, died from contracting a Hanta virus. It is thought that they got it from dust from mouse doots while sweeping out their shelter.

Sweep and then let the dust fall. Don't sweep and start doing deep breathing exercises in the shelter.:D

Paul Bunyan
01-18-2007, 21:57
I don't even sweep up at home, that's what I got married for.

Don't tell my wife I said that or she'll find a new place to store the broom.:eek:

Nice one.:p

Trillium
01-18-2007, 23:50
WOW! Steve Marriot...havent heard that guitar-slinging name in awhile....

listen to Humble Pie records too? or Framptons Camel?

i usually sweep-up after myself! :D

see ya'll UP the trail!Frampton came and played in one of the bars adjacent to campus in summer '74 Good Times! :banana

Jim Adams
01-18-2007, 23:56
never, Never, Never, Never, Never, Never!
Not W/o A Haz-mat Suit.
Geek

Jack Tarlin
01-19-2007, 00:00
I've always thought that all that sweeping accomplished was to churn up dust, turds, and other crud into the air where you would then be likelier to breathe them in.

It's kind of a non-issue for me as I generally don't stay in shelters anyway, but the way I see it, if a shelter is so dirty that I don't feel good about putting my groundcloth down on the floor and sleeping on it....well if the place is filthy enough that I'm concerned about it, well I probably wouldn't stay there anyway.

Shelters don't need to be swept before use.

Lone Wolf
01-19-2007, 00:09
If there is a broom in the shelter do you sweep the floor?

No. I don't pack out trash either. Did I ever mention that shelters suck?:)

RAT
01-19-2007, 00:15
Most shelter brooms end up being burned so its a waste of time to put them there. I think only the maintainers should sweep up occasionally while wearing a mask. Its dangerous sweeping and breathing all that "mice-crapp and godknowswhat else that's there. So I say not a good idea for the avg. hiker trash. That's what ground cloths are for. I personally try to avoid sleeping in shelters anyway.

Wolf, not packing out trash is ok long as ya aint leavin' any ;)

RAT

Lone Wolf
01-19-2007, 00:21

RAT

back in the day i would pack out bits of trash from shelters. no more. waste of time. shelters are for vermin. 2 and 4 legged.

Bravo
01-19-2007, 00:43
Did I ever mention that shelters suck?:)

I don't recall L. Wolf ever saying that before.:D LOL!

Brrrb Oregon
01-19-2007, 03:10
Most shelter brooms end up being burned so its a waste of time to put them there. I think only the maintainers should sweep up occasionally while wearing a mask. Its dangerous sweeping and breathing all that "mice-crapp and godknowswhat else that's there. So I say not a good idea for the avg. hiker trash. That's what ground cloths are for. I personally try to avoid sleeping in shelters anyway.

RAT

Yeah, I sweep where there is a broom provided, but there's always hanta virus in the back of my mind.

OTOH, what's the alternative? Letting the crumbs and the crap stay there? It just attracts the mice more. Yeah, that stuff makes the tent more attractive. Nevertheless, if I'm going to use some place for free, leaving it the way I'd like to find it is the least I can do.

If you read up at the CDC website about cleaning up mouse droppings, it would make you want to put on a Hazmat suit before you walked into a shelter, though. Well, I guess that which doesn't kill me just gives me a little more immune system. I'm from farm-grade European stock on all sides, so I just cross my fingers and hope that I'm bred to live in a house attached to a barn...never mind that I may be the one in my generation who needs weeding out. People who think they're from a neatnik gene pool maybe should think twice about it, though. The point is to get sleep, after all.

Jaybird
01-19-2007, 06:03
Frampton came and played in one of the bars adjacent to campus in summer '74 Good Times! :banana

Yes, i sweep the shelter...when broom is provided....

Yea, got to see FRAMPTON a few months back when he was still living in Nashville...we did a pre-taping here @ the studios...almost didnt recognize him....white hair & specs...but, ...."he still sho' can play!":D

Furlough
01-19-2007, 07:47
I do not as a rule spend much time in shelters. But, I do like to stop by and read the registers and maybe prepare a meal - particularly if it is raining. If there is a broom, even though I won't stay there I will sweep out the shelter. I guess it is just good home training - when you can, leave a place a bit better than how you found it.

Furlough

copythat
01-23-2007, 23:09

if i didn't remember him, i'd be eating some humble pie.

rainmaker
01-23-2007, 23:47
If a broom is there we sweep before we put our sleeping bags down and after we pack up to leave, provided no one is still in the shelter. I was also taught many years ago by a mother who didn't like dust, there is a right way and a wrong way to sweep.

gsingjane
01-24-2007, 08:04
Yes, we always sweep on leaving, even if we didn't sleep there (we usually don't). It is that Scouting, "leave a place better than you found it" thingie, plus it gives the kids another chore to do.

Jane in CT

LIhikers
01-26-2007, 09:07
When we arrive we'll sweep if it looks to need it. We'll sweep when we leave if we're the last ones out.

saimyoji
01-26-2007, 09:27
I sweep out MY shelter every time. :p

the_iceman
02-06-2007, 16:46
If it is a mess I sweep when I arrive and I always sweep when I leave. Unless of course it is full of sleeping hikers. :D

Do unto others......

If you use the dry wood replace it as well. If you gather wood try to leave some dry for the next guy you might save a life or make one better for a few minutes.

joedannajr
02-06-2007, 18:12
It seems that cleaning a shelter should be a natural thing to do. It is such a small thing to do but it makes such a big difference. When I arrive at a shelter the state of the sleeping platform is what first strikes me.

mweinstone
02-06-2007, 18:22
there are no floors. there are no brooms. there are no swept. free your mind and come with matthewski. to a place where its all one continuos floor and its all broomy and everyones sweeping and polishing and buffshinning and picking up. now . rest. your work is done. the world smells freash. welcome......

your a trasher. today,............ i will have sex. opps, wrong thread.........

Jester2000
02-06-2007, 18:46

In 2000 there was some concern on the part of the CDC regarding hanta in the mice in the Smokies. Subsequently they decided that their concern was unfounded.

No one has ever died from sweeping out an AT shelter.

icemanat95
02-08-2007, 20:06
I swept out shelters, I tried to keep the action low and slow to keep the dust down, and never did it if I wasn't the first one there.

NINpigNIN
02-08-2007, 20:16
I'll sweep if no one else (or their gear) is laid out in the shelter. But i also waste time doing silly things like tryng to put the shelter register back in order after its has fallen apart (which happens often when the notebook isn't spiral bound) - eightiesguy and I spent some time in June doing this at Double Spring, Silers and I think Derricks. None of the rest of the shelters further sw (Spence, Russell & Mollies) had registers, else I'd probably have done it there as well.

Wildwood
02-08-2007, 20:21
If it falls and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?

max patch
02-08-2007, 20:40
Not only do I sweep out the shelter, but after my thru my wife and I section hiked all of GA to get the patch and we carried and placed a broom in a shelter on each one of our trips.

saimyoji
02-09-2007, 12:49
I stayed an the Kirkridge shelter, was the second one there, no sweeping. Layed out my bed, had a great nights sleep. When I was packing up, there was a thick coating of dust/dirt on the bottom of my bed roll. Is there a better way to get this off than sweeping the shelter before sleeping? I mean, either I sweep it off the floor or sweep it off my gear....the same chance of inhaling rodent fece-fied dust, no? :-?

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 12:51
burn/dismantle all shelters. end of problem.

Jester2000
02-09-2007, 17:35
Most shelter brooms end up being burned so its a waste of time to put them there. RAT

Unless you think that that's what brooms are for. It's not a waste of time if you put them there's a prop available during the shelter's recreation of the scene in the Wizard of Oz where the Wicked Witch threatens the scarecrow.

Is there a better way to get this off than sweeping the shelter before sleeping?

Three words: gas powered leafblower.

. . . its all broomy and everyones sweeping and polishing and buffshinning and picking up.

mmmm. . .broomy.

Chaco Taco
02-14-2007, 16:43
burn/dismantle all shelters. end of problem.

Ill bring the waterproof matches:p