PDA

View Full Version : cell phone or no cell phone??

Iron Will
01-06-2011, 01:32
so i was planning on not bringing a cell phone because of added weight, potential for hassle (charging it) and COST!!

BUT then i thought about alternative and a nice person on here leatye (sp?)
recommended this http://www.getpeek.com/purchase.html

and my main question is this..

what do you guys do?

bring the cell phone?
leave it behind?
or just throw it into the bump box??

i plan on hiking the AT starting march 13th and am super excited but have to start tying up loose ends and answering questions like this before i set off.

thanks soooo much guys!!

kayak karl
01-06-2011, 02:21
i couldn't care less, but if you DON"T take it, don't ask to borrow anyone elses.

buzzamania
01-06-2011, 02:39
pretty handy in a pinch. Loved combining my phone, camera and gps/web access to one small device. An extra battery and some mild conservation and you'd be set for a week if not more between chargings. Obviously make sure you power it down completely in between uses. The constant tower searching will drain most in a matter of hours. Good luck. It's weight well spent from a safetly and all in one feature, Took my BB Torch.

Sly
01-06-2011, 02:58
i couldn't care less, but if you DON"T take it, don't ask to borrow anyone elses.

Why not? Since nearly everyone carries one these days, I was going to say the exact opposite. Of course, on the trail they should only ask in case of emergency and not chit chat.

leaftye
01-06-2011, 03:36
Get some feedback on how often you'll get a signal with the Peek. On the part of the PCT I did, I didn't get a signal often enough for me to feel comfortable without a cell phone. I didn't one or both to communicate home with regards to my mail drops. If my Peek got a signal often enough, I would have sent home the cell phone.

leaftye
01-06-2011, 03:38
And be careful about buying a used Peek device. They had some service changes recently, and bottom line is that the Peek I bought last spring no longer works. So don't buy those old ones, even though they're not old at all.

abn trooper
01-06-2011, 05:17
A cell phone could come in very handy in an emergency situation, if your family needs to notify you of an emergency at home,or for checking on mail drops. Now having said that. When I'm on the trail or at a shelter I don't want to hear your cool new ringtone or someone jabbering on the phone (using their best baby voice) to say HI to the family pet. Consideration goes a long way.

Roland
01-06-2011, 05:36
Only a handful of years ago, this topic would have elicited many, very passionate responses for and against cell phone use on the Trail.

Funny what a few years will do.

maybe clem
01-06-2011, 05:46
Only a handful of years ago, this topic would have elicited many, very passionate responses for and against cell phone use on the Trail.

Funny what a few years will do.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2011, 06:48
so i was planning on not bringing a cell phone because of added weight, potential for hassle (charging it) and COST!!

BUT then i thought about alternative and a nice person on here leatye (sp?)
recommended this http://www.getpeek.com/purchase.html

and my main question is this..

what do you guys do?

bring the cell phone?
leave it behind?
or just throw it into the bump box??

i plan on hiking the AT starting march 13th and am super excited but have to start tying up loose ends and answering questions like this before i set off.

thanks soooo much guys!!NO cell phone needed. pleny of pay phones. i don't have one. you don't need one

MedicineMan
01-06-2011, 07:00
For those into journaling the new phones are good at that too. Checking weather forecasts is another feature. Personally on my last section hike in VT I didn't carry a phone or a camera until the last leg.
The first gen's cameras made it so you needed to carry both; the newer with 8 megapixels make so you can leave the camera at home.
And if it bricks up you can always use it to get your bear bag line over the limb.

Blissful
01-06-2011, 10:34
Cell phones help you help you stay in touch with the home front and loved ones, esp if you need something right away (or something happens at home that you need to know about). They are good for calling for shuttles, making a reservation at a hostel, or in case of emergency. And pay phones are becoming increasingly limited or non functional in some trail towns, so you can't always count on that.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2011, 10:39
there's plenty of pay phones

Yukon
01-06-2011, 10:44
I don't go anywhere without my iPhone now, it's just too damned convenient.

Blissful
01-06-2011, 10:49

In the last two to three years?

They are sure shrinking around here in VA. And we had a hard time locating them in several places in 'O7 and that was 4 years ago . I didn't worry about it this year as I had my cell, but the one in Glencliff was not working this past summer.

Grampie
01-06-2011, 11:55
One of the joys of doing a thru-hike is divorseing ones self from the real world, off the trail. The less ties to that world you have the more you will enjoy your hike. My advise is to leave the cell phone home. I never had a problem calling home when I wanted to from a trail town.
Remember; Less ties, more enjoyment.:sun

horicon
01-06-2011, 12:31
Bring a calling card.

Luddite
01-06-2011, 12:50

Agreed. I never have any trouble using payphones but they are a bit expensive and phone cards you get ripped off using a phone card on a pay phone.

I don't understand how cell phones are convenient on the trail. I guess you could call a shuttle to pick you up at road crossings but why not just hitchhike?

ChinMusic
01-06-2011, 12:52
One of the joys of doing a thru-hike is divorseing ones self from the real world, off the trail. The less ties to that world you have the more you will enjoy your hike. My advise is to leave the cell phone home.
This may be desireable by some. I, personally, have no need/desire to insulate myself from the "real world". I like both worlds......

Iron Will - IMO, if you choose not to carry it would be perfectly OK to ask to borrow someone's in an emergency. To chat.........nah. If you want to just chat, carry your own.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2011, 12:52
NO cell phone needed. pleny of pay phones. i don't have one. you don't need one

We have been down this thread before- Just because there's a payphone in Damascus - there's none up here - still don't need a cell phone?

Part of the issue here LW is perhaps you don't have relatives to call. Some folk do have a need to keep in touch.

kayak karl
01-06-2011, 13:12
Why not? Since nearly everyone carries one these days, I was going to say the exact opposite. Of course, on the trail they should only ask in case of emergency and not chit chat.
everybody used my phone to check e-mail and stuff in town. im ok with that, but on the trail i won't even turn it on for somebody:). some people cut weight and want to use what others have carried. i don't let people use my maps, lighter,can opener, knife or guide book either.:D
see ya at the ruck,
kk

Lone Wolf
01-06-2011, 13:31
We have been down this thread before- Just because there's a payphone in Damascus - there's none up here - still don't need a cell phone?

Part of the issue here LW is perhaps you don't have relatives to call. Some folk do have a need to keep in touch.

there's 6 pay phones in damascus and i have plenty of relatives to call. just not when i'm walkin' :rolleyes:

10-K
01-06-2011, 13:33
I don't understand how cell phones are convenient on the trail. I guess you could call a shuttle to pick you up at road crossings but why not just hitchhike?

You'll find out why not... :)

max patch
01-06-2011, 13:34
there's 6 pay phones in damascus

Invalid argument. There's no cell service in Damascus. See how long those pay phones last when/if cell service comes to town.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2011, 14:15
There's no cell service in Damascus.

uhhhh. wrong. plenty of cell service. when was the last time you were here?

grumps
01-06-2011, 14:21
I think to each his own, unless your endless jabber (assuming you actually have service) infringes on me. I can see it from both points.

Chillfactor
01-06-2011, 14:43
You can call your family when you're in town by using a calling card. If there's an emergency and you're in an isolated area are you going to go home? I took postcards and stamps and people enjoyed receiving them.
As for accessing weather reports, you won't be able to avoid rain and cold so what's the point? It's part of the experience to do without. I didn't take one (I don't own one). It seemed there was no signal for those trying to make calls
Set up a journal account and update it at town libraries and email friends and family.
I must add that I was considering taking one for my trip from NJ to ME this summer. Will I need it with the NH situation and to get a shuttle from Katahdin or are there adequate pay phones?

garlic08
01-06-2011, 15:06
I didn't carry a cell phone on the trail and never used one, even when offered. I also never used a pay phone though I saw plenty, because it costs an extra buck on my calling card. In my experience, there are plenty of trail angels and other local phones where I could use my calling card for no additional fee. At a local business like a laundry or small market, after I'd made a purchase I'd politely ask to use the phone for a minute and let the owner dial the toll-free number. That was always enough for checking in with the family. I patronized enough motels and I could use those phones for long chats. I enjoyed the simplicity of not having a cell phone.

Sickmont
01-06-2011, 15:13
I figured "just in case" i'll bring my cell phone, although it will be off 90% of the time. Otherwise how could i "get away from it all" if it was on?

BrianLe
01-06-2011, 15:31
Damascus: depends on your provider. I can say that there was no AT&T service there this (2010) hiking year.

Fortunately, there was wi-fi at a little coffee shop towards the north end of town, so I could upload my trail journal entries that way while eating breakfast!

kayak karl
01-06-2011, 16:02
Invalid argument. There's no cell service in Damascus. See how long those pay phones last when/if cell service comes to town.
verizon had 4 bars 2 months ago. even internet.

ChinMusic
01-06-2011, 16:14
I think to each his own, unless your endless jabber (assuming you actually have service) infringes on me. I can see it from both points.
If I ever bother someone with my phone, then I am being out of line. My intent would be that you don't know I have one.

ChinMusic
01-06-2011, 16:17
Cell phones do so much more than make calls anymore. One can easily make the case that carrying the extra weight of the phone actually SAVES you net weight.

maybe clem
01-06-2011, 16:28
It's hard to make the argument that you need a cell phone on a thruhike when thousands thruhiked before there were cell phones.

Roland
01-07-2011, 20:02
Can you believe it, a cell phone thread that died in less than a day?!! Until now, there wasn't a single post today. Apparently cell phones are no longer the hot button they were a few years ago.

What's next, consensus on hiking poles use? :D

leaftye
01-07-2011, 20:40
Due to this thread, I looked up small lightweight phones. It didn't take long to find the Modu. It's a tiny 42.5 gram (<1.5 ounce) phone. I don't even know what features it has. As long as it makes calls well enough, it's perfect for me. Unfortunately I don't think it will work with my service provider.

attroll
01-07-2011, 21:55
If you going to carry a cell phone on the AT down south do not go with AT&T. Last years thru hikers that used ATT&T had almost no cell phone service until the got of of the south. Go with Verizon or US Cellular.

Mags
01-08-2011, 00:38
Can you believe it, a cell phone thread that died in less than a day?!! Until now, there wasn't a single post today. Apparently cell phones are no longer the hot button they were a few years ago.

That's because they are no seen as longer a luxury item but a perceived necessity by many people.

The next stage is that you will be odd if you DON'T carry one... :)

(No phone tomorrow when I hit the mountains)

Roland
01-08-2011, 05:55
That's because they are no seen as longer a luxury item but a perceived necessity by many people.
~

Yeah, I think you're right. And they also appear to have become a necessity in the operation of a motor vehicle in excess of the speed limit!

emerald
01-08-2011, 12:25
Apparently cell phones are no longer the hot button they were a few years ago.

Maybe cell phone etiquette has improved somewhat, but I think it's more a matter of people becoming desensitized due to their prevalence. Some people who might be most prone to being bothered by them now use them themselves.

Still it's no less important to show respect toward others who may not be interested in the intimate details of the lives of others with whom they share limited space particularly in the natural realm.

Roland
01-08-2011, 15:17
Maybe cell phone etiquette has improved somewhat, but I think it's more a matter of people becoming desensitized due to their prevalence. Some people who might be most prone to being bothered by them now use them themselves.

Still it's no less important to show respect toward others who may not be interested in the intimate details of the lives of others with whom they share limited space particularly in the natural realm.

Alrighty then. Let's close this chapter.

What's next? Hiking poles? Dogs? :D

emerald
01-08-2011, 15:38
If only the dog issue could be made to go away in real space!

wornoutboots
01-08-2011, 17:06
I always bring my cell(verison) but rarely turn it on, I do text my wife & it has come in handy for needed shuttles/hostles. When I 've been out a few nights in a row by myself, I also use pandora on my phone to keep me company.

wornoutboots
01-08-2011, 17:08
Sorry "Verizon" coverage has been really good on the mountaintops & not so good in the gaps unless your crossing a road, it just depends where the heck ya ar

pistol p
01-08-2011, 17:34
Yeah, I think you're right. And they also appear to have become a necessity in the operation of a motor vehicle in excess of the speed limit!

How long will it be before cell phone usage will be a part of drivers education??

Maybe I will be making a shirt that says "Hang up and Hike". This will go along with my "Hang up and Drive" sticker on my car.

I bring a phone for in town usage and for emergencies. I won't use it otherwise.

To each there own.

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 17:40
When I hiked in 2010, I had my Verizon Droid. Other than the plan being outrageously expensive for how little I used it, it was worthwhile. I had the digital AT Data Book, I had maps, weather, email, family, and the internet within my hands. Looking back..the cost wasn't worth it. I'm going with a Virgin phone this year, $25/month unlimited data and some 300 minutes. Whenever I get a Sprint CDMA signal, I'm golden. I'm not going with another post paid plan, its a total waste of money. As for prepaid, only a Net10 or Tracfone in the CDMA variety would be my recommendation. GSM is extremely unreliable in the hills. A Peek, I have one, LOVE IT! But its TMobile's service, which is GSM, and also VERY unreliable unless in a major metro area.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2011, 18:33
I will consider that Verizon service is better in the south from these posts, but up here in PA I have had the unique opportunity to travel with two phones at the same time. In Delaware and NJ, I would call it a bit of a draw on flat land. But in the hilly back country of PA the Verizon phone had more dropped calls and lack of signal. ATT was the clear winner in the woods.

leaftye
01-08-2011, 18:44
Maybe I will be making a shirt that says "Hang up and Hike". This will go along with my "Hang up and Drive" sticker on my car.

Or carry a cell phone jammer on the trail.

QiWiz
01-08-2011, 19:17
I don't go anywhere without my iPhone now, it's just too damned convenient.

Amen - short list:

Guidebooks: check (AT Companion and AWOL's - talk to him to get this)
Books to read: check (as many as you want, Kindle for iPhone; others)
Camera: check (5 megapixel; video also pretty good)
Journaling: check (can record voice files or enter text; send them out)
GPS: check (apps to show your location on USGS quads; other trail maps)
Music: check
Compass: check
Carpenter's level: check (to make sure shelter or tent site is level ;))
Entertainment: check (games, books, even movies if you like)
Reference Library: check (bird and tree identification, etc.)

Oh yeah . . . in the rare event you can get a cellular or wireless signal, can also make phone calls, surf the internet, check email, post photos and journal entries to a person or website, check the weather forecast, order pizza, etc.

- Weight: 4.9 oz; headphone add another 0.4 oz
- Waterproof but still useable in a closed Aloksak or even a lowly ziplock
- Rechargeable with electric outlet when available, or solar charger, or AA battery charger with AA's purchased as you go resupply or in your maildrops (charger is 1.8 oz; 4 lithium AA's are another 2 oz, alkaline a bit heavier)

***** :banana *****

couscous
01-08-2011, 23:57
Oh yeah . . . in the rare event you can get a cellular or wireless signal...

Verizon will make their iPhone announcement next Tuesday in New York. Probably have them on the shelf by February 7th.

pistol p
01-09-2011, 11:46
Or carry a cell phone jammer on the trail.

Ohhhh, what is the weight on one of those? If it's under 8oz, I'm in. If it's even close to 8.5oz, I am out. ;)

WILLIAM HAYES
01-09-2011, 12:29
if you carry one be respectful of others when using it-you can buy a small battery charger that uses one AAA battery-all in all not much weight

double d
01-09-2011, 13:05
This may be desireable by some. I, personally, have no need/desire to insulate myself from the "real world". I like both worlds......

Iron Will - IMO, if you choose not to carry it would be perfectly OK to ask to borrow someone's in an emergency. To chat.........nah. If you want to just chat, carry your own.

Couldn't agree more, good points. Go ahead and bring your cell phone, you might just need it if something goes wrong, but don't allow the phone to interfer with other hikers enjoying the trail or at shelters (and who wants to hear a cell phone go off anywhere on the trail?).

Grampie
01-09-2011, 13:20
When the topic of cell phones and thru-hikeing comes up I have an experience that I had and want to share.
During my thru in 2001 I met a guy, Marathon Man. He was attempting to do a thru after having been a marathon runner for years. He was in his early 50s and was in great shape. He was the owner of several fast food resturants and his plan was to stay in touch with his managers by cell phone while he hiked. He would spent hours making phone calls each day.
We hiked together on and off. On arriving at Neels Gap we decided to share a cabin at Goose Creak cabins. This guy went nuts because he could not get a cell signal. He even walken a considerable way back up the mountain to try. He came back to the cabin very agated. I tryed to convince him that he couldn't continue on trying to live in two different worlds. The next morning he went out again trying to get a signal. He finally gave up. He through the phone into the woods. call home from a land line and left the trail.

pistol p
01-09-2011, 17:44
When the topic of cell phones and thru-hikeing comes up I have an experience that I had and want to share.
During my thru in 2001 I met a guy, Marathon Man. He was attempting to do a thru after having been a marathon runner for years. He was in his early 50s and was in great shape. He was the owner of several fast food resturants and his plan was to stay in touch with his managers by cell phone while he hiked. He would spent hours making phone calls each day.
We hiked together on and off. On arriving at Neels Gap we decided to share a cabin at Goose Creak cabins. This guy went nuts because he could not get a cell signal. He even walken a considerable way back up the mountain to try. He came back to the cabin very agated. I tryed to convince him that he couldn't continue on trying to live in two different worlds. The next morning he went out again trying to get a signal. He finally gave up. He through the phone into the woods. call home from a land line and left the trail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW! What the heck. Praise you for dealing with that. I understand keeping an eye on a guy's investments, but that sounds a little crazy. Too bad he let it ruin his hike. I wonder if he regrets his decision.