PDA

View Full Version : trail runners

novabob71
01-06-2011, 06:20
I will be starting thru hike mid march. I am not a fan of hiking boots. Can someone suggest a good trail runner that will be right for a spring start. Thanks!!

Roland
01-06-2011, 06:36
The best shoe is the shoe that fits you best.

Yeah, I know. That's not the answer you wanted. But your feet are different than mine. And different from the next guy. So, you're going to have to invest some time/effort in determining which shoe fits you best.

You know the reputable brands. Try them on for size. There are differences in the last, support, width, blah, blah, blah.

Knowing my preference won't help you very much. But, hey, everyone else will be shouting-out brands, so: New Balance!

Roland
01-06-2011, 06:46
One more thought....

Do you pronate? Supinate?

What the heck is that, right? Most hikers aren't experts in bio-mechanics. So find a knowledgeable salesperson to help you get the right shoe.

The better manufacturers offer shoes built on a variety of lasts to provide proper foot support for pronation, neutral, and supination. If you over-pronate and buy a shoe designed to correct supination....well, let's just say you will be uncomfortable.

novabob71
01-06-2011, 08:37
Cool...I wear new balance running shoes as my everyday shoe now...I love them...I am new to long distance hiking and apperciate any info...thanks all!!

ekeverette
01-06-2011, 08:47
if you have wide feet i would suggest keens, very comfortable shoes. if you have a more narrow foot, suggest vasque. both these shoes will hold up well.

OnlyJohn
01-06-2011, 08:48
I am a huge fan of Salomon Trail Runners.

fredmugs
01-06-2011, 08:51
if you have wide feet i would suggest keens, very comfortable shoes. if you have a more narrow foot, suggest vasque. both these shoes will hold up well.

If you have wide feet I would suggest Merrell's. They were the only trail runners I found in a wide width and I love mine. Plenty of room in the toe box.

novabob71
01-06-2011, 10:13
thanks fellows...I will be looking into all above options

garlic08
01-06-2011, 10:18
I suffered way too long until I found out that New Balance (and some others) have shoes available in multiple widths. When I found out that I needed an EE width, I went with NB and have never tried anything else. Ditto above about Vasque--if you have a narrow foot, it looks like a great shoe.

Grinder
01-06-2011, 10:28
question about width

I've only ever bought off the bargain rack, so I've never experienced wide sizes first hand.

I'm a fan of Montrail Hardrocks, which are out of print. I loved the heel fit but the toe box is a bit tight.

Does the heel width also increase with the wider sizes. I would think so and this makes a wider size less desirable to me.

My ideal trail runner would be the same heel sizing with a wider toe box.

Novabob, sorry for the thread hijack. It is related to your subject though. and width is such a big thing in hiking shoe sizing. Everybody (??? arguably) experiences foot widening when they start hiking long distance.

Blissful
01-06-2011, 10:30
You should get properly fittd by a professional for your foot type. Some pronate, have neutral arch or high arch etc and this can make a huge difference with the kind fo shoe you should buy. But once you are fitted right the first time, you look for the same kind on line. You will need several pairs for a thru hike. Good insoles are important also.

Phreak
01-06-2011, 10:32
Cool...I wear new balance running shoes as my everyday shoe now...I love them...I am new to long distance hiking and apperciate any info...thanks all!!
Try the NW 876s

DuctTape
01-08-2011, 20:02
Merrell Moab Ventilators. Mine have about 700 miles on them, and still in one piece. A PCT thru hiker told me that her's lasted for 1,000.

sbhikes
01-08-2011, 21:33

Wear what you already wear.

I have come to the conclusion, after thousands of miles hiking, that you can hike in nearly anything that fits well. It's not that complicated of an activity. I finished the PCT wearing street running shoes and did not have any issues with them at all. They fit well, had decent traction and worked just fine for walking all day on a trail.

pistol p
01-08-2011, 22:12
Try the NW 876s

These are what I use. Great shoe. Your socks will get dirty, the material lets a lot of trail dust. Great comfort, very breathable, dry quick, and have good traction.

Good luck on your search!

jcazz
01-08-2011, 22:18
inov 8 295's

Oleskool
01-10-2011, 10:08
New Balance 876

The Cleaner
01-10-2011, 10:18
I'd go with the kind you wear w/snowshoes...:eek:

jdb
01-10-2011, 10:34
If you have a good running store go there and they will watch you walk and run. From there they can tell you which type of shoe will work best for you.

BrianLe
01-10-2011, 13:54
Golite's work well for me; these are the only shoe I've thus far found I can walk long distances in without little-toe side bunions getting sore. Of the current models, I like the "Blaze Lite" best. Of last year's models I used a combination of Versa Force, Force, and one or two left over pairs form a prior year, Sun Dragon II's I think.

I wish these guys were a little less aggressive about replacing their entire product line every year ...

swjohnsey
01-10-2011, 15:53
Go over to the New Balance site. They have a shoe selector based on several factors. I like their shoes based on the SL2 last, wide toebox, narrow heal.

I will be using 883s.