PDA

View Full Version : When do SOBOers usually start?

Spider
01-06-2011, 12:25
I was just curious because I really want to thru when I graduate college, but I don't graduate until late May. I know this is probably too late for a NOBO but I was wondering if it was also too late for a SOBO.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2011, 12:29
mid june for most SOBOs

Spider
01-06-2011, 15:33
mid june for most SOBOs

Perfect time for a hike! Thanks a lot.

Blissful
01-06-2011, 16:01
Yes mid June if you are serious about completion.
I really think now July is too late for a completion. Unless you can hightail it in the tough stuff early on. And are consistent later on.

Spider
01-06-2011, 16:15
I'd be able to leave early June because of a late May graduation. Is that too early though?

thorny
01-06-2011, 16:20
the park service does not allow access to Katadin until nearly all of the snow is melted. This is usually the begining of June.
In 2007 when I went SOBO. June 3rd was the first day the mountain was open for A.T. hikers.
Southbound is a wonderful way to go. No Crowds.
The creeks will flooding and you will have to cross carefully but were I to do the trail again, it would be southbound.
Of course you could start southbound at the Able bridge anytime (begining of the 100 mile wilderness) but then you'd have to flip flop back to do Katadin.
Keep in mind Katadin usually closes for the year around October 15th.
Most Southbounders finish in Georgia late October -November.
Consider If you leave Southbound before Katadin opens, you will probably be alone most of your hike. You will miss the comradere of other hikers.
Thats one of the best parts of the A.T. experience

TJ aka Teej
01-06-2011, 18:38
Katahdin opening dates: (not official, just from my notes)
'09 May 20th for both Hunt and Abol.
'08 May 29th (Park had canceled May 15th opening due to late snow)
'07 May 31st
'06 May 18th (Abol May 15th)
'05 June 4th (Abol May 30th)
'04 May 16th
'03 May 24th
'02 May 15th (Day hikers summited via Abol May 10th)
'01 prior to May 20th
'00 Memorial Day Weekend
'99 May 18th (per South Walker '99)
I've got the 2010 date around here somewhere.
Over the last 5-6 years mid-June has seen over 80 MEGAs heading out of BSP.

Migrating Bird
01-06-2011, 21:07
TJ I think 2010 was the May 25th for Hunt, I went up the 29th.

Marta
01-06-2011, 21:56
Beginning of July works well. Unless you really dawdle, you'll be done before the end of the year.

Blissful
01-06-2011, 22:14
Beginning of July works well. Unless you really dawdle, you'll be done before the end of the year.

Yes but snows and cold can stop you by Dec. esp in the Smokies (I had cruddy conditions even in late October there. Glad I got through it) If you can cope with it. Not me, and not for most out there that I saw. I am not a winter hiker. That and hiking in the middle of the holiday season. :) But I know you LOVE the snow Marta. :)

Marta
01-07-2011, 06:49
Spider is 18. He'd probably be done by Halloween...

A long hike is always a crap shoot, weatherwise. NOBOs often get hammered at the start of their hikes, and sometimes at the end as well. Late-starting and slow SOBOs (like me) run into cold weather, but by then you should be able to pile on the miles and finish up anyway.

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-07-2011, 07:55
Consider a flip... starting in Southern Maine, no later than June 1st. Go North young man, and after you do Katahdin go back to your starting point to begin your South hiking. You will meet a lot of SOBO's as you head North, then get reacquainted when you do the flip...

10-K
01-07-2011, 08:02
Based on the number of SOBO's I saw last year in the 100 mile wilderness and in BSP the 1st 2 weeks of June I'd say definitely sometime in June is when most start.

If I were to hike the trail again, this time as a complete thru hike, I'd definitely hike SOBO and I'd probably start either as early as possible or in July to miss the SOBO crowds. :)

Jeff
01-07-2011, 09:15
It takes about 7 weeks for the average hiker to get to Manchester, VT starting at Katahdin. Based on our SOBO guest count 60% started in June and 40% started in July. We had a handful of August starters too.

10-K
01-07-2011, 09:18
It takes about 7 weeks for the average hiker to get to Manchester, VT starting at Katahdin. Based on our SOBO guest count 60% started in June and 40% started in July. We had a handful of August starters too.

Yeah, but what percentage of them never leave when they get there?? :)

(while I don't doubt your numbers that seems like a long time.. It only took me 6 week to get from New York to Katahdin...)

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2011, 09:54
little slower starting up north and hiking SOBO

Blissful
01-07-2011, 10:03
If I were to hike the trail again, this time as a complete thru hike, I'd definitely hike SOBO and I'd probably start either as early as possible or in July to miss the SOBO crowds. :)

SOBO crowds are really not a concern, honestly, they are nothing like NOBO and thin out very quicky with the terrain. But we had 15 at on one time in early July. The crowds actually come from those hiking groups in northern Maine, like French Canadian groups, etc. But after Monson, things settle down quite a bit.

Spider
01-07-2011, 11:42
Consider a flip... starting in Southern Maine, no later than June 1st. Go North young man, and after you do Katahdin go back to your starting point to begin your South hiking. You will meet a lot of SOBO's as you head North, then get reacquainted when you do the flip...

What would be the advantage of doing that?

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-07-2011, 13:55
What would be the advantage of doing that?

Hi Spider... just another option. It would let you get started hiking, June 1st, or earlier, even if Katahdin is snowed in. You could get some miles in before June 1st, and be reasonably sure the Big K would be open for business when you got there. You would begin hiking pretty much alone at first, if you have no partner, but you would start meeting the SOBO's soon, and when you flipped at Katahdin, you would see many of those SOBO's back in Southern Maine. Like I say... just another option. Whatever you do, have a safe and happy hike!

NotYet
01-07-2011, 20:44
SOBO has a wide range of starting dates. We started our SOBO on July 18th, which worked out perfectly for us. Up north most of the mud was dried up, and the black flies were dead (which is why we started then). We followed fall all the way south and hit some big snows in December...but that was fun! We definitely started later than most of the SOBOs that year, but it was great. Good luck!