PDA

View Full Version : Ye Olde Backpacker

garbanz
01-06-2011, 13:41
Id like to plan a maildrop in Port Clinton as I had read in Awol's 2010 AT Guide that the outfitter there, Ye Olde Backpacker, accepts maildrops and is open 7 days a week. I called to confirm this and got a recording that the number was out of service. Also an email sent to them came back undeliverable.
Does anyone here on WB know if this is a seasonal or permanent closure. Do I have to resort to the post office in Port Clinton for my drop?

10-K
01-06-2011, 13:44
Ye Olde Backpacker is no more.... Recommend the PO if you're mailing something to Port Clinton.

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2011, 13:54
The P.O. is yards off the Trail so getting there is no problem. Keep in mind that it's quite easy to get to the nearby town of Hamburg which has all manner of re-supply places, so you may not need to send anything at all to Port Clinton if you'd rather not deal with the Post Office.

attroll
01-06-2011, 14:20
Ye Olde Backpacker has been closed for a couple years now. Jacks is right.

darkage
01-06-2011, 14:42
They are indeed closed, I met the owners a year or so ago on the trail ... they do scout troops and guides along the river's .... but the store itself is closed down, and when i spoke too them ... they really had no idea if they would ever re-open cause of the economy and lack of buisness .... great people, sad too see the store go.

Blissful
01-06-2011, 16:09
Do I have to resort to the post office in Port Clinton for my drop?

The PO isn't a bad thing, Heck its right on the trail practically. :)

darkage
01-06-2011, 16:13
Post office in port clinton isn't a bad thing, its right next too the trail and it gives you a reason too stop at the port clinton hotel for some fries ... order the large, i dare you. =P

StormBird
01-06-2011, 19:54
A friend of mine ran into the same problem last year. She sent her mail drop to Ye Old Backpacker and they were closed. The package was just forwarded to the PO and was waiting for her. I guess they get that alot there.

garbanz
01-06-2011, 21:26
Ok, Thanks everyone. Ill use the post office even though I was initially trying to avoid them because of them being closed on Sundays. The one in Port Clinton has abbreviated hours on weekdays and Saturdays. Im not planning on staying over there and I dont want to have to race to make it before they close. Also FWIW the phone number and zip given in the 2010 At Guide is actually the phone number of the Ft Mongomery NY post office. I called it and the lady there was very helpful explaining priority mail flat rates, directions to the Graymoor Monastery, how to do a bump box, visiting West Point and everything else under the thruhiker's sun.

10-K
01-06-2011, 21:29
Well, you never know when you'll have to wait... I sent a maildrop to Ye Olde Backpacker and while I was there I asked if I could leave my pack inside the store while I walked down to The 3 C's for breakfast.

I went back to get my pack after I ate and they had just locked up the store (with my pack in it) to run a shuttle. :)

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2011, 21:41
Totally stunned to see this first post....

10-K
01-06-2011, 21:48
Totally stunned to see this first post....

Doesn't take much, does it? :)

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2011, 21:53
Yea you could be right,

Blissful
01-06-2011, 22:25
Also FWIW the phone number and zip given in the 2010 At Guide is actually the phone number of the Ft Mongomery NY post office. I called it and the lady there was very helpful explaining priority mail flat rates, directions to the Graymoor Monastery, how to do a bump box, visiting West Point and everything else under the thruhiker's sun.

Isn't that great? Makes one love being out on the trail with kind people like that.

And if you arrive Sunday, stay at the pavilion or the hotel and pick up your drop Monday AM. I had to do that only twice each hike and I had 20 drops.

Strategic
01-06-2011, 22:35
Post office in port clinton isn't a bad thing, its right next too the trail and it gives you a reason too stop at the port clinton hotel for some fries ... order the large, i dare you. =P

When I did that section, I made the mistake of stopping in at the Port Clinton Hotel for a bit of lunch. After a fantastic Reuben sandwich (and killer fries, not large) and a couple of beers (and a couple of hours) I managed to drag myself away and hike on to Windsor Furnace.

It's a trap! A very, very tasty one, too!

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2011, 22:38
When I did that section, I made the mistake of stopping in at the Port Clinton Hotel for a bit of lunch. After a fantastic Reuben sandwich (and killer fries, not large) and a couple of beers (and a couple of hours) I managed to drag myself away and hike on to Windsor Furnace.

It's a trap! A very, very tasty one, too!

nobody can fault you for that.... so long as it was Yungling.:D

Bags4266
01-06-2011, 22:43
Just makes me wonder as to why this outfitter didn't work out. It is on the trail! The trail literally goes right by it. Popular area too. Only thing I could think is most people drop out before SNP. And usually anyone further north has got it together and doesn't need a outfitter. They should of turned it into a hostel. Oh yea and the service at the hotel bar is always met with a smile.....not!

garbanz
01-06-2011, 22:58
SO THEY GOT A HOTEL! MAYBE I COULD STAY THERE, SAMPLE THE BREWSKIS and wait til the post office opens

ki0eh
01-07-2011, 01:59
How soon is Walmart going to open near Cabela's? Before hiking season?

darkage
01-07-2011, 02:33
SO THEY GOT A HOTEL! MAYBE I COULD STAY THERE, SAMPLE THE BREWSKIS and wait til the post office opens

I would, or approuch with morning in mind for a P.O, resupply and lunch at the hotel ... stay over night and support the town if you can ... but the fact is, you must eat there! =]