PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Zip on dominate side or opposite for sleeping bags

Green
01-06-2011, 14:09
Hello, so im looking to buy a new sleeping bag, and ive tried both left and right zipper bags and ive finding after having all my bags be right zippered (because im right handed and always assumed that right hand zipped bags would feel better) i'm finding i prefer bags that zip on the left hand rather than the right hand so i can reach over. I find it uncomfortable to zip on the right hand side with either of my hands. Is this odd?

So my question i do more people people find they prefer to zip up bags on their dominate side or zip up bags on the opposite side (or doesnt matter)?

G.

Luddite
01-06-2011, 14:14
If you're right handed buy a left zippered bag and vice versa.

Helios
01-06-2011, 15:08
Double posted.... read below.

Helios
01-06-2011, 15:09
TQ - no zipper. Got tired of fighting with zippers doing a late night nature call. Jacksrbetter No Sniveler has been more than enough comfort for me.

Rocketman
01-06-2011, 17:52
If you're right handed buy a left zippered bag and vice versa.

Luddite said it correctly.

While your dominant (say right hand) hand is more capable of grabbing, when it is curled up and forced to grab the zipper on the dominant (right) side of the bag, it is pretty ineffective.

Imagine how easy it is for your right hand to scratch an itch in your left armpit, and how nearly impossible it is for your right hand to scratch an itch in your right armpit, especially if you are inside a zipped up sleeping bag. There is no room for your elbow to move out of the way.

In a zipped up sleeping bag, your right hand can still easily scratch an itch in your left armpit, or grab a zipper on your left hand side of the bag.

Rocketman
01-06-2011, 17:56
Luddite said it correctly.

While your dominant (say right hand) hand is more capable of grabbing, when it is curled up and forced to grab the zipper on the dominant (right) side of the bag, it is pretty ineffective.

Imagine how easy it is for your right hand to scratch an itch in your left armpit, and how nearly impossible it is for your right hand to scratch an itch in your right armpit, especially if you are inside a zipped up sleeping bag. There is no room for your elbow to move out of the way.

In a zipped up sleeping bag, your right hand can still easily scratch an itch in your left armpit, or grab a zipper on your left hand side of the bag.

It is quite possible that zipping open and shut sleeping bag zippers with either hand is yet one more example of the many things that women can do better than men.

You may have missed an important variable in your poll.

Pioneer Spirit
01-06-2011, 18:00
Left side for me, Hubba tent has the zipper on the left so I want the bag zipper there too.

hillsanddales3
01-06-2011, 18:26
Hey Mr. Green. +1 for Pioneer Spirit's post. Your shelter many times determines your choice, especially with single side door shelters. Being left handed myself, I initially bought a right side zip bag for some of the reasons listed above. In the end, I became the owner of some left zip bags, too. They just work better with the majority of my shelters. Simple test: Can you comfortably unzip your bag before entering your tent? Can you exit during the night for a nature call via the "zip side" closest to the door? Good luck with your search!

Pioneer Spirit
01-06-2011, 19:13
Can you exit during the night for a nature call via the "zip side" closest to the door? Good luck with your search!

Well, I didn't want to say it but the above statement is really why I matched both zippers. 4 am nature calls, something you will understand past age 50:D

mweinstone
01-06-2011, 20:33
the single best feature on my 800$ marmot col eq-20 bag?

glow in the dark dot on zipper pull. glows all night.

the answer is elementary my dears.most women are right handed and get lefty zippers. men must get right side zipps to mate or the species dies.no matter the inconvenence.

related storys in the news:
talking about zippers found to releive symptoms of springer feaver.

Green
01-07-2011, 14:09
Yeah right now i have a REI Chrysalis and a Black Diamond Lightsaber bivy, both of which are front entrance (i think that is what it is called?) setups, so the side the tent zipper is on, isnt so much of a big deal for me, but it will be something ill take into consideration when looking at tents in the future.

Is there some place i can get glow in the dark marking paint or whatnot to mark the zippers with? And is any glow in the dark paint/stuff better than others? That seems like a great idea to put glow in the dark paint on the zippers.

BrianLe
01-07-2011, 15:34
"It is quite possible that zipping open and shut sleeping bag zippers with either hand is yet one more example of the many things that women can do better than men."

Dunno if that's true or not, but my observation as a card-carrying southpaw is that left-handers tend to be a bit more ambidextrous than the general population. Thus "Doesn't matter" struck me as the no-brainer answer, so I'm wondering if the way the poll is tilting ("opposite side" currently well ahead) is based on the preponderance of right-handers. Or per above, maybe right-handed males ?

I rarely think about being a sinister guy living in a dexterous world, but I just got a can of bear spray a couple of days ago, and the included holster is clearly designed for an easy quick draw by right-handers.
No problem, the bears will doubtless then be baffled and taken aback to see me pull out the can and brandish it with my left hand! :-)

BradMT
01-07-2011, 15:44
Yup, I'm RH and always buy LH zips...

skinewmexico
01-07-2011, 15:51
A vote for whatever the best bargain is.

Green
01-07-2011, 16:33
Dunno if that's true or not, but my observation as a card-carrying southpaw is that left-handers tend to be a bit more ambidextrous than the general population. Thus "Doesn't matter" struck me as the no-brainer answer, so I'm wondering if the way the poll is tilting ("opposite side" currently well ahead) is based on the preponderance of right-handers. Or per above, maybe right-handed males ?

Well there was already a poll about who used right or left hand zippers on sleeping bags, and its right about even with 104/105 between right and left. You can read that thread here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4798

But that doesn't necessarily mean that the same people would be answering, so thats a pretty good question.

The Solemates
01-07-2011, 17:14
i have 5 bags. zippers on right and left sides between the 5 of them. ive never even thought about this. i could care less.

mweinstone
01-07-2011, 17:34
i never cared either
but do happen to have a left and a right by chance. glow dot zipperpulls ar unique to marmot as far as i can guess. and its not glow paint you want. thats what i painted my fishin fred blaze necklace with. it glows about 3 hours. but the thick bulbus glow blob of milky soft plastic on my bag glows all night. if you want to find your zipper easy,dont lift your hands above your waist and search the neck and hood area, that has too many folds for a groggy hiker to diferenciate the zip from the cords and such. instead, run your hand around your waist and locate the path of the zipper when it is clearly outlined in the draft tube and just follow it to your puller.

The Cleaner
01-07-2011, 17:54
A vote for whatever the best bargain is.
That's the way to buy...:sun

hillsanddales3
01-07-2011, 18:29
Tie a short bit of lightweight Triptease line to the zip pull, easier to grab and easy to see in the dark. You can use it on any pulls: jackets, tents, bivys, etc.

mweinstone
01-07-2011, 18:33
triptease dont glow without light.

kayak karl
01-07-2011, 18:48
center zip. works great for those not ambidextrous.

BradMT
01-07-2011, 19:29

I agree!

Best sleeping bag design IMO was the old Trailwise Slimline with full length center zip... but sex sells so the mfg's quietly backed away from the sane center zip to sell the less satisfactory, but more appealing, side zip with attendant possibility of mating sleeping bags together and the other possibility of mating within...

Green
01-07-2011, 20:00
Price wise, do center zips cost more or less than a r/l zip bag?

BradMT
01-08-2011, 12:00
Price wise, do center zips cost more or less than a r/l zip bag?

Good question and I don't know... can't see why it should cost more.

However, I would only buy a center zip bag if it is full length.

skinewmexico
01-08-2011, 13:15

Forgot about that. I have a Luxurylite bag that center zips from both ends, works better than L or R zip. Mostly gone to quilts now though; so no zip.