PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Get Together - Roanoke, Va

Pages : [1] 2

Hikerhead
01-06-2011, 16:46
J5MAN and I were talking and we think we should all meet up somewhere for good food, trail talk and maybe a beer or two. We're thinking about doing this in a few weeks, we're post a date later.

These are a few folks that I know of around here that might be interested in coming.

Hobbs
Southpaw
Gracefull Roll
Snafu
HOI--not real close but close enough.

Would anyone else be interested in joining us?

hobbs
01-06-2011, 17:03
hikerhead I would be interested to a meet and greet. Thanks for the invite. I am really just moved here a few years ago. Be great to meet all of you....learn alot more from all of you as welll

Land_Shark
01-06-2011, 17:58
Land shark on the move. I would love to meet and section a peice or two.

thecaptain
01-06-2011, 19:44
Yea I would like to meet other hikers.....I sure lead dog would like to join in also

Rocket Jones
01-06-2011, 19:50
Depends on the timing, but I need to make a run down Roanoke way before Spring. Definitely interested.

Press
01-06-2011, 19:55
Sounds good, I'm not that far away here in the 'burg.

Hikerhead
01-06-2011, 20:54
Thanks for the responses.... this will be fun. I'm working with J5MAN now on a time and place.

Roughin' It
01-06-2011, 21:40
I live in Lynchburg too

Hikerhead
01-06-2011, 21:45
I live in Lynchburg too

All are welcome....come on!

Hikerhead
01-06-2011, 22:09
OK...J5MAN is a busy dude, here's what we were able to work out.

Date: 2-12-11 (Saturday)
Time: 5pm
Place: Corned Beef in Downtown Roanoke.

I'll make reservations just prior when we see how many will attend.
They have excellent food that's reasonably priced.
The easiest way for any out of towners is to take Exit 6 (Elm Ave) go west to the second light and turn right (north) on Jefferson. It's on the left just past Campbell Ave. If you turn right on Campbell there's a parking garage just 100 ft on the right. 3 bucks to park and safe. Come out of the parking garage turn left and walk back to the intersection and you can see it from there.

The link below has a map and menu.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/272258

Hikerhead
01-06-2011, 22:14
[QUOTE=Hikerhead;1089682]OK...J5MAN is a busy dude, here's what we were able to work out.

Date: 2-12-11 (Saturday)
Time: 5pm
Place: Corned Beef in Downtown Roanoke.

I'll make reservations just prior when we see how many will attend.
They have excellent food that's reasonably priced.
The easiest way for any out of towners is to take Exit 6 (Elm Ave) go west to the second light and turn right (north) on Jefferson. It's on the left just past Campbell Ave. If you turn right on Campbell there's a parking garage just 100 ft on the right. 3 bucks to park and safe. Come out of the parking garage turn left and walk back to the intersection and you can see it from there.

The link below has a map and menu.

Sorry bad link...try this. http://www.cornedbeefandco.com/

J5man
01-06-2011, 22:28
Glad to see the responses. If any of the out of towners want to make a day out of it, you could always come in early and do an up and back at either Dragon's Tooth or McAfee Knob and be finished in time for the dinner. Or drive up Mill Mountain in the middle of the town for an overlook of the city. Looking forward to it!

SawnieRobertson
01-06-2011, 22:44
Count me in.--Kinnickinic

Ox97GaMe
01-06-2011, 23:51
If Kinnickinic is gonna be there, I might try to make a run up to Roanoake for a visit too. I have hiker friends that run a B&B near Catawba and can make a great weekend trip out of something like that. :)

Lead Dog
01-07-2011, 09:32
Lead Dog here, yep I am interested. TheCaptain and I will attend.

Signage
01-07-2011, 09:55
Even though I do not know many or you, I would like to be included for the dinner at Corned Beef and also a hike, so count me in and I look forward to the Roanoke event.

Signage

Hikerhead
01-07-2011, 10:42
Even though I do not know many or you, I would like to be included for the dinner at Corned Beef and also a hike, so count me in and I look forward to the Roanoke event.

Signage

Signage, thanks for signing up and we look forward to seeing you. Also, we are not planning any organized hikes...this is just a dinner.

Hikerhead
01-07-2011, 12:23
I've went ahead and resevered a seperate dinning room at "The Beef," it holds 35 people and if we have that many hikers to show up we'll have to hire extra security.

Thanks!

Rain Man
01-07-2011, 13:00
J5MAN and I were talking and we think we should all meet up somewhere for good food, trail talk and maybe a beer or two. ... Would anyone else be interested in joining us?

HikerHead, you riding my coattails?!!! Smart man!!! :D

I haven't settled on a date for my annual Nashville get-together, but it's likely to be one of the last two Saturdays in February this year. I'll be posting it soon.

I'm jealous y'all have Dragon's Tooth and McAfee Knob for local day-hike possibilities! No such luck here in middle Tennessee.

Rain:sunMan

Hikerhead
01-07-2011, 13:32

I haven't settled on a date for my annual Nashville get-together, but it's likely to be one of the last two Saturdays in February this year. I'll be posting it soon.

I'm jealous y'all have Dragon's Tooth and McAfee Knob for local day-hike possibilities! No such luck here in middle Tennessee.

Yeah, kind of :) That was so fun I thought it would be good to do something of that nature here. Of course, you set the bar so high that no one will be able to pull off a Get Together the way that you do. Now you got me thinking of putting together an organized hike too, damn you!! :)

J5man
01-07-2011, 14:13

Yeah, but you've got a Bass Pro Shop at Opry Mills!

Rain Man
01-07-2011, 15:39
Yeah, kind of :) That was so fun I thought it would be good to do something of that nature here. Of course, you set the bar so high that no one will be able to pull off a Get Together the way that you do. Now you got me thinking of putting together an organized hike too, damn you!! :)

AND you have to host a DVD evening afterward at your home, or a speaker and PowerPoint at the local REI??? tee hee Ours started with a simple dinner at O'Charley's, after which people demanded more, so it grew from there. I've kept it to once-a-year, though. You know, keep 'em wanting more. LOL

Seriously, I think more local WBers should take initiative and do this in their communities and in their own way. Best to you folks in the Roanoke area!

Rain Man
01-07-2011, 15:41
Yeah, but you've got a Bass Pro Shop at Opry Mills!

I'll trade you Bass Pro Shop for those AT locales any day! :)

johnnybgood
01-07-2011, 17:28
I'm interested , it all sounds good.

Hikerhead
01-07-2011, 17:48
Saturday Morning Hike - McAfee Knob

Date: 2-12-11
Time: 8am
Place: McAfee Knob Parking Lot. Rt 311/Catawba Mtn.

I'll show some things that you might not have seen before so it will be a little longer than the normal up and back, about 8 miles total.

J5man
01-07-2011, 18:00

I'll show some things that you might not have seen before so it will be a little longer than the normal up and back, about 8 miles total.

This will be a special treat for anyone interestd. I have hiked a lot with Hikerhead and no one know these sections of the trail better. He is like a walking textbook of the history, trail relocations, and special sites of interest. (sidenote: he will be late so don't kill yourself coming up Catawba Mountain if you are running a little behind! :D)

Cookerhiker
01-07-2011, 19:07
Sounds like you all have a great time planned. Have fun!

....Seriously, I think more local WBers should take initiative and do this in their communities and in their own way...

Hmm, have to give this some thought...

Hikerhead
01-07-2011, 23:32
Head Count. We have seats for 35 hikers.

1: J5MAN (The MC)
2: Hikerhead (Co MC)
3: Hobbs
4: Landshark
5: The Captain
6: Lead Dog
7: Rocket Jones
8: Press
9: Roughin' It
10:Sawnie Robertson (Kinnickinic)
11: Ox97GaMe
12: Signage
13: JohnnyBGood

hobbs
01-07-2011, 23:47
Got it! Wrote it all down.... Looking forward to meeting everyone and learning as much as possible....

Hikerhead
01-07-2011, 23:50
Good Hobbs. I should have said "35 seats for hikers and non hikers" in case anyone wants to bring a guest.

hobbs
01-07-2011, 23:59
Hey Hikerhead on Trailplace I had some people ask me about some things about the trail here. I couldn't answer so I gave them your Trail name on here and told them to PM you if they had any questions. I really couldn't answer some things but I figured you could. Hope I didn't impose.....

Hikerhead
01-08-2011, 00:02
Hey Hikerhead on Trailplace I had some people ask me about some things about the trail here. I couldn't answer so I gave them your Trail name on here and told them to PM you if they had any questions. I really couldn't answer some things but I figured you could. Hope I didn't impose.....

As long as they send me money too I'm good.

Hikerhead
01-08-2011, 00:04

You should give them J5MAN's name...he knows more about this place than me. Was it Wingding asking?

hobbs
01-08-2011, 00:10
You should give them J5MAN's name...he knows more about this place than me. Was it Wingding asking?
No a kid from Mass.. I will remember that for future refrence and the fee...:sun But he's way in planning stages. Was asking off the wall gear questions....

Hikerhead
01-08-2011, 00:17
No a kid from Mass.. I will remember that for future refrence and the fee...:sun But he's way in planning stages. Was asking off the wall gear questions....

J5MAN is the gearhead of all gearheads. He's the man for those questions.

hobbs
01-08-2011, 00:23
J5MAN is the gearhead of all gearheads. He's the man for those questions.
Gear is good as long as you dont have too much. I am a climber also... Iam on a gear forum.. I might just go to Quebec after my thru to meet up and climb with a buddy.... Yes i love the outdoors and like self punishment..:rolleyes:

Hikerhead
01-11-2011, 20:53
Head Count Updated. We have seats for 35 hikers.

14: Snafu

Hikerhead
01-12-2011, 13:49
Head Count. We have seats for 35 hikers.

15: Chase

Kerosene
01-12-2011, 14:25
(sidenote: he will be late so don't kill yourself coming up Catawba Mountain if you are running a little behind! :D)Not only will he (Hikerhead) be running late, he'll be walking at a "Hokey Pokey" pace!

I'm actually between jobs right now. If I don't start a new job by then, and if the Ohio Valley weather isn't too bad, I might consider bopping down there just to see if HH can keep up with me and my bad knees!

Hikerhead
01-12-2011, 17:06
Not only will he (Hikerhead) be running late, he'll be walking at a "Hokey Pokey" pace!

I'm actually between jobs right now. If I don't start a new job by then, and if the Ohio Valley weather isn't too bad, I might consider bopping down there just to see if HH can keep up with me and my bad knees!

Bring your bad knees on down here, I'll smoke your arse. :)

jen.sprout
01-12-2011, 21:17
Sprout here - please put me down. Up for a hike as well.

Would love to know what folks are up to for the year - I need to get out for some week longs or long weekends out and about on any trails and would welcome some company.

Hikerhead - haven't seen you in a long time (met on a RATC hike or two - I seem to recall a hike on the Allegheny past the obs tower one winter day).

-Sprout (aka Jen)

Hikerhead
01-12-2011, 21:25
Sprout here - please put me down. Up for a hike as well.

Would love to know what folks are up to for the year - I need to get out for some week longs or long weekends out and about on any trails and would welcome some company.

Hikerhead - haven't seen you in a long time (met on a RATC hike or two - I seem to recall a hike on the Allegheny past the obs tower one winter day).

-Sprout (aka Jen)

Hey Jen! Very cool!! It's been awhile. Yeah I remember that hike, snowy and cold but fun. Looking forward to seeing you at "The Beef".

Hikerhead
01-12-2011, 21:37
Head Count (Revised). We have seats for 35 hikers.

16: Sprout (aka Jen) -- Hiking sat moring

jerseydave
01-12-2011, 21:47
I'll be in Harrisonburg (Massanutten) for that week and I'll have some stuff with me.
Who knows, if all goes well, I may pop in for a meet and a walk.
I'd like to see some of the faces that go with the names.

It's only 100 miles

Dave

Hikerhead
01-12-2011, 21:52
I'll be in Harrisonburg (Massanutten) for that week and I'll have some stuff with me.
Who knows, if all goes well, I may pop in for a meet and a walk.
I'd like to see some of the faces that go with the names.

It's only 100 miles

Dave

I'll put you down for both Dave. Let me know if you can't make it work. We hope to see you there.

Hikerhead
01-12-2011, 21:54

16: Sprout (aka Jen) -- and hiking sat moring
17: JerseyDave -- and hiking sat morning

Hikerhead
01-14-2011, 09:29

1: J5MAN (The MC) -- and hiking sat morning
2: Hikerhead (Co MC) -- and hiking sat morning
12: Signage -- and hiking sat morning
16: Sprout (aka Jen) -- and hiking sat morning

Ol Mole
01-15-2011, 06:49
Hikerhead,

Please put me down for the dinner, as I would like the chance to meet fellow hikers. I also am interested in the hike.

Happy trails.

mweinstone
01-15-2011, 07:16
when they invent brain transfer machines, im downloading all of kinnickiniks knowlage of forraging. she is my idol. xoxoxoxooxomatthewski

FatherTime09
01-15-2011, 12:48
My wife and I would like to attend, both the hike and the dinner. Just moved to the area (about an hour north of Roanoke) and want to meet some hikers. Also dreaming about starting a hostel in the next few years and would like to get some opinions/suggestions. Thanks for putting this together! See you all there!

Hikerhead
01-15-2011, 20:59
Hikerhead,

Please put me down for the dinner, as I would like the chance to meet fellow hikers. I also am interested in the hike.

Happy trails.

I have you down for both. Thanks

Hikerhead
01-15-2011, 21:00
My wife and I would like to attend, both the hike and the dinner. Just moved to the area (about an hour north of Roanoke) and want to meet some hikers. Also dreaming about starting a hostel in the next few years and would like to get some opinions/suggestions. Thanks for putting this together! See you all there!

I have you both on the list. See you there.

Blissful
01-15-2011, 21:20
Wish I could, have a wedding to attend that day. :(

Hikerhead
01-15-2011, 21:24
Wish I could, have a wedding to attend that day. :(

That's too bad, we would have enjoyed meeting you. Maybe another time.

Rain Man
01-16-2011, 11:09
HH, I just posted the announcement for the 5th annual WB Nashville dinner. Saturday, February 26th. Come on down again and bring Sawnie and others with you! :)

Footloose
01-17-2011, 10:31
Hello, I'd like to meet some more whiteblaze members so count me in! I can probably make the hike too

Hikerhead
01-17-2011, 12:31
HH, I just posted the announcement for the 5th annual WB Nashville dinner. Saturday, February 26th. Come on down again and bring Sawnie and others with you! :)

Nashville kind of scares me...the last time I was there I almost got my back bumper crushed about a dozen times, I saw women dancing on the tables and I saw little kids lined up around a room doing something called The Chicken Dance. . I don't think I can make it but you're more than welcome to come here if you want.

Hikerhead
01-17-2011, 12:32
Hello, I'd like to meet some more whiteblaze members so count me in! I can probably make the hike too

Thanks Footloose, I have you down for both.

Hikerhead
01-17-2011, 22:22

2: Hikerhead (Assistant) -- and hiking sat morning
14: Snafu (Assistant)
18: Ol Mole -- and hiking sat morning
19 and 20: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning
21: Footloose -- and hiking sat morning

Hikerhead
01-18-2011, 23:54
More information--- J5MAN and Hikerhead will provide Pizza and Salad for everyone but you'll be responsable for your drinks.... now that's a good deal!!! You'll also be able to order from the dinner menu if you wish, on your tab.

FYI, a comedy club has been absent from Roanoke for 10 or 15 years but Corned Beef has just started one. They will have a show that night starting at 7. The assistant manager didn't know the guys name but said he's the only white guy that's ever been on BET... is that good or bad? I don't know...but he thought he was terrific.... a word of caution.. comedy clubs seem to be on the R side of the scale..

The Corned Beef
107 S Jefferson St
Roanoke, VA 24011 (540) 342-3354

19 and 20: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning

FatherTime09
01-19-2011, 12:55
J5MAN and Hikerhead will provide Pizza and Salad for everyone

Wow, very generous of you guys! Thank you! Just wanted to make it known beforehand that we are both vegetarians, and since my wife is pregnant she won't be doing any drinking. Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone else is interested in veggie pizza. If not, we are just fine with ordering ourselves since that was what I had in mind before. But thank you again, I look forward to meeting you all!

jerseydave
01-19-2011, 17:48
More information--- J5MAN and Hikerhead will provide Pizza and Salad for everyone but you'll be responsable for your drinks.... now that's a good deal!!! You'll also be able to order from the dinner menu if you wish, on your tab.

Hadn't caught that myself till now.

Agree, very generous.

Dave

Hikerhead
01-19-2011, 19:32
Wow, very generous of you guys! Thank you! Just wanted to make it known beforehand that we are both vegetarians, and since my wife is pregnant she won't be doing any drinking. Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone else is interested in veggie pizza. If not, we are just fine with ordering ourselves since that was what I had in mind before. But thank you again, I look forward to meeting you all!

That won't be a problem. I need to loose some weight, we may share one.

Hikerhead
01-19-2011, 19:34
Hadn't caught that myself till now.

Agree, very generous.

Dave

I'm giving back for all the bad things I've done and all the good things I should have done. J5MAN just has deep pockets. :)

Kerosene
01-19-2011, 20:26
I'm giving back for all the bad things I've done and all the good things I should have done.A lot more good than bad, I should think.

J5man
01-19-2011, 21:20
What?!!!!!!Everyone, please disregard any post by Hikerhead after 5pm.................I think he has been drunk posting!

Hikerhead
01-19-2011, 21:45
What?!!!!!!Everyone, please disregard any post by Hikerhead after 5pm.................I think he has been drunk posting!

Maybe it's for all the bad things I'll probably do...it's call Tired Posting.

Hikerhead
01-24-2011, 21:27
We're going to move the start of the hike back to 11 A.M. That should help the out of towners that want to do the hike and also cut out the dead time between the hike and the dinner. I hope that's ok......

StarLyte
01-24-2011, 21:44
You guys are awesome.

...where's that little friggin banana guy....

:banana

Rain Man
01-24-2011, 22:40
We're going to move the start of the hike back to 11 A.M. That should help the out of towners that want to do the hike and also cut out the dead time between the hike and the dinner. I hope that's ok......

Grasshopper learn quickly! :D

J5man
01-24-2011, 22:46

and if anyone doesn't want to hike, downtown Roanoke has a lot of shops, merchants, including Walkabout Outfitters, if you want to come early and kill some time before the dinner at The Corned Beef. Weather permitting, there are local vendors who set up an outdoor market also in the downtown area. It is pretty cool! Also Outdoor Trails outfitters in Daleville is just a few miles down I-81 north of town. Lots of choices. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

jerseydave
01-25-2011, 14:48

If I'm able to make it, the later time will make it easier for sure......
So far lookin good!
Can't wait to eat free pizza out on Mcafee Knob.......:D
Who's packin it up there?

Hikerhead
01-25-2011, 14:53
If I'm able to make it, the later time will make it easier for sure......
So far lookin good!
Can't wait to eat free pizza out on Mcafee Knob.......:D
Who's packin it up there?

You are so make sure you make it :) leave MassNutten at 8 and you'll have plenty of time to get down here. If you need directions let me know.

Hikerhead
01-25-2011, 22:21
Another small change and addition.....we're going to offer two time slots for the hike. A 10am hike and the 11am hike. Some might be a little slower(like me) and maybe starting at 10 you won't feel rushed. We should all end up on McAfee Knob at about the same time. The planned route is about 8 miles altogether. Hopefully we can get back to the parking lot at around 4, a little later than that is no problem. We can go to dinner just like we are or bring a change of clothes, your choice. And those that arrive before us at The Corned Beef just hang out, get to know each other, shoot pool whatever, it's a big place. Our room will be up the stairs where you first walk in. Just tell them your with the group for dinner that Don reserved the room for.

And Jen has stepped up to help out leading a hike. If my memory is correct she's a thru-hiker...don't kill me if I got that wrong. But she knows the area well, she knows gear, and I know I could learn a few things from her as well. And she's FAST.

So just let me know what time slot suits you best and we're make this work.

The Grasshopper has spoken..... for the last time, I hope. :)

jen.sprout
01-27-2011, 09:40
Per Hikerhead's last post, I am indeed a thru-hiker ('96 NB - boy does that seem like a long time ago!). Plus I've messed around on a bunch of other things over the years.

If we do have any "fast" folks that need to stretch legs, let us know. We can adjust times or we'll just go tear around further on out the trail or something so we can meet up at the top.

Gear?! My, are we going to have a gear-head discussion? Oh wait....it's a hiking gathering... ;) I might finally have my 40th birthday present to myself by then (a new custom pack - a year late), so it'll probably be out for a walk.

Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Hikerhead
01-27-2011, 11:28
Thanks Jen, us old dudes just don't move like we used to. And J5MAN and I went to Corned Beef yesterday and sampled one of their pizzas and I'll guanantee it will be one of the better pizzas you've ever had, if not the best. It was that good. The room will hold more than 35 people so please join us if you can.

jen.sprout
01-27-2011, 12:25
I should qualify "fast": my normal pace is 2.5 mph +/- depending on terrain.

Land_Shark
01-27-2011, 13:12
Shark will be there.

Hikerhead
01-27-2011, 14:30
Shark will be there.

I have you down, is it just you? Will you be doing the hike also?

J5man
01-27-2011, 18:00
I should qualify "fast": my normal pace is 2.5 mph +/- depending on terrain.

That's about my pace also................for about 500 yards before I have to stop and rest!

Hikerhead
01-27-2011, 21:19
Also, a comedy club has been absent from Roanoke for 10 or 15 years but Corned Beef has just started one. They will have a show that night starting at 7. Anybody that might need help finding the place I can give you my cell phone number.

The hike up McAfee Knob starts at 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. Let us know which time suits you the best.

16: Sprout (aka Jen) -- (Assistant) and hiking sat morning
19 and 20: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning --- Veggie Pizza
22: Land Shark

Lugnut
01-27-2011, 21:26
So there are two Landsharks? 4 & 21. :eek:

Hikerhead
01-27-2011, 21:46

Well there was.....good eyes. You should come.

Also, a comedy club has been absent from Roanoke for 10 or 15 years but Corned Beef has just started one. They will have a show that night starting at 7. Anybody that might need help finding the place I can give you my cell phone number.

The hike up McAfee Knob starts at 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. Let us know which time suits you the best.

We are also working on some slide shows to show.

2: Hikerhead -- (Assistant) -- and hiking sat morning
4: Land Shark
14: Snafu -- (Assistant)
16: Jen (aka Sprout) -- (Assistant) --and hiking sat morning
19 and 20: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning --- Veggie Pizza

johnnybgood
01-27-2011, 21:50
#21 looks like the same shark spotted earlier... :D

Hikerhead
01-27-2011, 22:03
#21 looks like the same shark spotted earlier... :D

He was trying to get 2 pizzas.

Lead Dog
01-31-2011, 11:24
Hikerhead, please add my hiking friends, Bonnie and Jeff to your list. My hubby might come too.

Hikerhead
01-31-2011, 13:32
Hikerhead, please add my hiking friends, Bonnie and Jeff to your list. My hubby might come too.

OK, I've added them to the list. Thanks!

The hike up McAfee Knob starts at 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. sat. morning. Let us know which time suits you the best.

The Corned Beef -107 S Jefferson St - Roanoke, VA 24011 - (540) 342-3354 - Dinner starts at 5.

We are also working on some slide shows to show after dinner.

2: Hikerhead -- (Assistant) -- and hiking sat morning
4: Land Shark
7: Mr. Lead Dog
8 and 9: Bonnie and Jeff
10: Rocket Jones
11: Press
12: Roughin' It
13:Sawnie Robertson (Kinnickinic)
14: Ox97GaMe
15: Signage -- and hiking sat morning
16: JohnnyBGood
17: Snafu -- (Assistant)
18: Chase
19: Jen (aka Sprout) -- (Assistant) --and hiking sat morning
20: JerseyDave -- and hiking sat morning
21: Ol Mole -- and hiking sat morning
22 and 23: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning --- Veggie Pizza
24: Footloose -- and hiking sat morning

hobbs
01-31-2011, 15:35
Iam in for the hike too Hikerhead!! I quess 10 am... By the way talked to Kerosean by PM...He and I grew up in the same area of NJ...Just different times...he said to watchout for you..LOL

Hikerhead
01-31-2011, 15:53
Iam in for the hike too Hikerhead!! I quess 10 am... By the way talked to Kerosean by PM...He and I grew up in the same area of NJ...Just different times...he said to watchout for you..LOL

OK Hobbs. We won't hold that against you I hope he didn't tell you about the ground smoking after I go by, that's just a myth. :)

Land_Shark
01-31-2011, 17:17
Land shark on the move. Only one of me that I know of. Will be there for hike and after. Looking forward to meeting every one. GOD speed and good luck to all.

Hikerhead
01-31-2011, 17:33
Land shark on the move. Only one of me that I know of. Will be there for hike and after. Looking forward to meeting every one. GOD speed and good luck to all.

Do you want to tee off at 10 or 11?

jerseydave
01-31-2011, 19:38
Do you want to tee off at 10 or 11?

Are you planning on 2 seperate groups or are you just polling everyone to see which time they'd prefer?

Hikerhead
01-31-2011, 19:51
Are you planning on 2 seperate groups or are you just polling everyone to see which time they'd prefer?

Yes, 10am for slower hikers and 11am for faster hikers, same hike. We'll all meet up at the top.

Hikerhead
01-31-2011, 21:55

The hike up McAfee Knob starts at either 10 a.m.(slower hikers) or 11 a.m. (faster hikers) sat. morning. We'll all meet up at the top. Let us know which time suits you the best. This hike will be about 8 miles and we should be done by 4.

The Corned Beef -107 S Jefferson St - Roanoke, VA 24011 - (540) 342-3354 Dinner starts at 5.

1: J5MAN (The MC) -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
2: Hikerhead -- (Assistant) -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
3: Hobbs -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
4: Land Shark -- and hiking sat morning
5,6,7,8 and 9: The Captain, Mr and Mrs Lead Dog, Bonnie and Jeff.
10: Rocket Jones
11: Press
13:Sawnie Robertson (Kinnickinic)
14: Ox97GaMe
16: JohnnyBGood
17: Snafu -- (Assistant)
19: Jen (aka Sprout) -- (Assistant) --and hiking sat morning (11am)
20: JerseyDave -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
22 and 23: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning --- Veggie Pizza

The parking lot could be full or we could possibly fill it up so I thought we should try to car pool. Below is a map showing where the Orange Market convenient store is at the intersection of 419 and 311. It's used as a park and ride lot and it's very safe. I'll post this again before the hike. It's also in the photo gallery.

johnnybgood
01-31-2011, 22:35
Yes, 10am for slower hikers and 11am for faster hikers, same hike. We'll all meet up at the top.
Slow hike suits me HH. Sign me up for 10am.
Long range weather outlook looks good.

Hikerhead
01-31-2011, 22:45
Slow hike suits me HH. Sign me up for 10am.
Long range weather outlook looks good.

Will do. I hope the weather works out for us.

GracefulRoll
01-31-2011, 22:54
I think I'll join in for the dinner, but I won't be hiking.

hobbs
01-31-2011, 23:00
great I get to meet the person so many people have said good things about...Glad your at home...Hospitals bluh!

Hikerhead
01-31-2011, 23:00

Fantastic! We'll look forward to seeing you there. :banana

J5man
01-31-2011, 23:11

Your first Blue Moon is on me! So glad you will be making the soiree!

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 08:45
great I get to meet the person so many people have said good things about...Glad your at home...Hospitals bluh!

I get to meet a ton of hikers I didn't know existed near me, so I'm excited!

And, yes, I don't think total wellness should be advertised in hospitals. The food is horrible, they don't let you sleep for more than 3 hours at a time, random doctors show up for rounds between the hours of 6 a.m. and 5 p.m. and sometimes don't show up at all. In that last respect, they are kind of like a cable company.

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 08:50
Fantastic! We'll look forward to seeing you there. :banana

Ditto! Can't wait to see hikers again. OH, but I did see some dude hiking through the streets of Downtown on Saturday morning. Pack, hiking poles, hat, and everything. No clue, man.

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 08:51
Your first Blue Moon is on me! So glad you will be making the soiree!

YAY! :) You remembered! See you there!

Cookerhiker
02-01-2011, 08:56
Glad you're on your feet and ready to go!

...And, yes, I don't think total wellness should be advertised in hospitals. The food is horrible, ....

My GF and I were talking about this recently when her elderly mother went in the hospital. Why is it that today, everyone knows how important diet and nutrition are to health and yet the hospitals still serve food out of the 1950s? Doesn't anyone associated with hospitals - management, nurses, doctors, other specialists - think of this? Don't hospital staffs include nutritionists? Is "bottom line" driving everything? 'fraid so.

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 09:02
Glad you're on your feet and ready to go!

My GF and I were talking about this recently when her elderly mother went in the hospital. Why is it that today, everyone knows how important diet and nutrition are to health and yet the hospitals still serve food out of the 1950s? Doesn't anyone associated with hospitals - management, nurses, doctors, other specialists - think of this? Don't hospital staffs include nutritionists? Is "bottom line" driving everything? 'fraid so.

My 'nutritionists' in the hospital were full of vague, generalized food information. I went to school for human biochem, lots of other chem, physiology and other body related classes, nutrition, genetics, and it was all focused on putting all of those together. I knew more than them. I just told her I'd get food from home. Oh, and it didn't help that my nutritionist looked and sounded exactly like Rachel Ray. I couldn't get over it. I swear she was about to say "E.V.O.O." at any moment. *shudder* Scary lady. She handed me this little hospital booklet called "Understanding Nutrition" and I wanted to set it on fire. I just didn't read it.

A lot of the times they cook food down to nothing or cook the chicken dry because they are terrified of infection. However, I'd be more worried about my bowels twisting up in knots trying to digest those things. Ugh. I had a certain monetary allowance each day to order something from another restaurant in the hospital and I just got spaghetti from the Italian place when everything else failed. lol

That or my mom cooked something for me.

Hikerhead
02-01-2011, 11:20
Ditto! Can't wait to see hikers again. OH, but I did see some dude hiking through the streets of Downtown on Saturday morning. Pack, hiking poles, hat, and everything. No clue, man.

If he had a blaze orange vest on, I think I know who you're talking about.

Lugnut
02-01-2011, 12:10
Jeff has a blaze orange vest doesn't he? :-?

Hikerhead
02-01-2011, 12:27
Jeff has a blaze orange vest doesn't he? :-?

If he goes up and down and back again on the same road, that very well could have been him. No wonder he doesn't leave the house without his SPOT :eek:

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 12:58
If he goes up and down and back again on the same road, that very well could have been him. No wonder he doesn't leave the house without his SPOT :eek:

All I know is that he was trying to cross Franklin Avenue between Jefferson and 1st. For a moment I had to look closely because the "homeless or hiker" question came into my head. Once I saw the poles, I assumed lost hiker.

No blaze orange or I would have seen him sooner and not hit the brakes :P

Hikerhead
02-01-2011, 13:00
All I know is that he was trying to cross Franklin Avenue between Jefferson and 1st. For a moment I had to look closely because the "homeless or hiker" question came into my head. Once I saw the poles, I assumed lost hiker.

No blaze orange or I would have seen him sooner and not hit the brakes :P

Lost hiker??? It was Jeff. :D

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 13:00
Ahem, after reading that last entry, I mean I wouldn't have had to SLAM on the brakes. Of course I would have stopped. Hahaha!

Hikerhead
02-01-2011, 13:35

The hike up McAfee Knob starts at either 10 a.m.(slower hikers) or 11 a.m. (faster hikers) sat. morning. We'll all meet up at the top. Let us know which time suits you the best. This hike will be about 8 miles and we should be done by 4.

The Corned Beef -107 S Jefferson St - Roanoke, VA 24011 - (540) 342-3354 Dinner starts at 5.

5 and 6: Mr. and Mrs. The Captain
7,8 9 and 10: Mr. and Mrs. Lead Dog, Bonnie and Jeff.
11: Rocket Jones
12: Press
14:Sawnie Robertson (Kinnickinic)
15: Ox97GaMe
16: Signage -- and hiking sat morning
17: JohnnyBGood -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
18: Snafu -- (Assistant)
19: Chase
20: Jen (aka Sprout) -- (Assistant) --and hiking sat morning (11am)
21: JerseyDave -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
22: Ol Mole -- and hiking sat morning
23 and 24: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning --- Veggie Pizza
25: Footloose -- and hiking sat morning
26: Graceful Roll

GracefulRoll
02-01-2011, 14:03

Oh, snap ;)

Land_Shark
02-01-2011, 18:11
Thnx for the time update. Would not want to miss this SOUNDS like serious fun.

SNAFU
02-01-2011, 19:28
ok..assuming I don't forget this by then...I hope to be on the hike in the am with a friend prolly around 10ish...and then zee dinner. :)

J5man
02-01-2011, 19:54

Hey, downtown Roanoke can still be very confusing even after living here for 3 years! (and so can south of Rockfish Gap!:D)

Hikerhead
02-01-2011, 20:29
ok..assuming I don't forget this by then...I hope to be on the hike in the am with a friend prolly around 10ish...and then zee dinner. :)

OK, I have you two down for furnishing drinks for everyone at the top. :eek:

Hey, downtown Roanoke can still be very confusing even after living here for 3 years! (and so can south of
Rockfish Gap!:D)

You just like getting your money's worth by seeing everything 3 times. :)

Hikerhead
02-02-2011, 22:34
Date of event: 2-12-11 More information--- J5MAN and Hikerhead will provide Pizza and Salad for everyone but you'll be responsable for your drinks.... now that's a good deal!!! You'll also be able to order from the dinner menu if you wish, on your tab.

18 and 19: Snafu and friend -- (Assistant) -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
20: Chase
21: Jen (aka Sprout) -- (Assistant) --and hiking sat morning (11am)
22: JerseyDave -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
23: Ol Mole -- and hiking sat morning
24 and 25: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning --- Veggie Pizza
26: Footloose -- and hiking sat morning
27: Graceful Roll

I have a map to give out to everyone before we get started. Some won't need it, some will.

J5man
02-02-2011, 22:37
I will..........!

Hikerhead
02-02-2011, 22:46
I will..........!

OK, you will. And I'll give everyone a 10 foot long piece of string to tie to you. :eek:

Hikerhead
02-03-2011, 22:32
Date of event: 2-12-11 More information--- J5MAN and Hikerhead will provide Pizza and Salad for everyone but you'll be responsable for your drinks.... now that's a good deal!!! You'll also be able to order from the dinner menu if you wish, on your tab.

2: Hikerhead -- (Assistant) -- and hiking sat morning (11am)
18 and 19: Snafu and friend -- (Assistant) -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
20: Chase
21: Jen (aka Sprout) -- (Assistant) --and hiking sat morning (11am)
22: JerseyDave -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
23: Ol Mole -- and hiking sat morning
24 and 25: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning --- Veggie Pizza
26: Footloose -- and hiking sat morning
27: Graceful Roll
28: Cookerhiker -- and hiking sat morning (11am)

Special guest Cookerhiker will be bringing to sell signed copies of the book Scarfs wrote of her AT hike "Undulations - A Journey on the Appalachian Trail" and will also show his DVD of his JMT Hike.

Rumor has it we may also have a very special guest that also works in the executive office of White Blaze. Let's hope that he can make it work where he can attend.

I also moved myself to the 11am hike and I have Cookerhiker in on that too. We need some people to move to that hike because we have so many on the 10am hike. The 11am hike will really not be so much faster, we just won't take a lot of breaks. Just a good steady pace up the mtn and it's not a hard climb.

I have also attached a map to get to The Corned Beef. Note it's positioned as if your coming from the north heading south as most of us will be doing that. The locals know there's a quicker way of getting into downtown but this shows the safer route, just a tad longer. That's all I have to say for now.....[/B] :)

Cookerhiker
02-03-2011, 22:58
I'm on the "fast" hike?! Guess I have to get in shape:-?

Meet at Trail crossing on Rt. 311?

Hikerhead
02-03-2011, 23:00
I'm on the "fast" hike?! Guess I have to get in shape:-?

Meet at Trail crossing on Rt. 311?

We're trying to car pool. See the attachment above. It's at the Orange Market Convenient Store at intersection of 419 and 311 at the light. You've been by it many times I'm sure.

Hikerhead
02-03-2011, 23:03
And yeah, you better get in shape:) Not really, heck I'm doing it and I'm not fast. It will be just a good steady pace up the mtn. If you want to see fast just watch Jen.

jerseydave
02-04-2011, 07:31
We need some people to move to that hike because we have so many on the 10am hike..[/B] :)

If need be you can move me to the 11, the pace won't be a problem and it'll give me even more time to make the drive down.

There is the slimmest possibility that I'll have a couple friends with me, but that in all honesty is doubtful.

Dave

Hikerhead
02-04-2011, 08:59
If need be you can move me to the 11, the pace won't be a problem and it'll give me even more time to make the drive down.

There is the slimmest possibility that I'll have a couple friends with me, but that in all honesty is doubtful.

Dave

Thanks Dave

Hikerhead
02-04-2011, 20:27
For you GPS users, the address for the Orange Market is 1823 Thompson Memorial Dr, Roanoke, Va. I've revised the map to make it a little more readable. Any questions let me know.

Try to be there 20 or 15 minutes before the hikes begins. I'll be there at 9:30am to run shuttles up to McAfee's Knob, as many runs as it takes.It's only 10 minutes away.

jen.sprout
02-04-2011, 22:26
I'll plan to pick up 3 hikers in my vehicle for the 11AM run from Orange Mart. So, sounds like we'd leave around 10:45 or so.

And FAST? I'm not as fast as some of the folks who I hike with who are 20 years my senior! Although I always have weight in my pack....sort of the perpetual training mentality....

Oh - and I did get my 40th birthday pack finally this week (minus a few odds and ends) - it'll get out for it's inaugural hike on my 41st birthday this coming Sunday! Yay, sorry for the gear geek-out - I had to share.

I have to be in Raleigh next week for work through Friday, so I'll be sort of offline...look forward to meeting everyone the 12th!

-Sprout

Hikerhead
02-04-2011, 23:15
Happy early B-day to you and see you on the 12th. Bring the new pack so that we can load it up with rocks. :)

jen.sprout
02-06-2011, 17:55
You know it doesn't get much better for a birthday than hiking with good friends on a beautiful day on a beautiful trail.

Oh yeah - the new pack performed beautifully, although she's a Frankenpack at the moment. I had to outfit her with some bits and pieces from her sister packs here (waiting on the last pieces to come in). This is how you know you have too many packs from the same maker......wait, can there be such a thing as too many packs???

Don't worry Don - there's plenty of room for those rocks you want to sneak in my pack to slow me down! ;)

Have a great week folks - see you next Saturday.

FatherTime09
02-06-2011, 19:57
11:00 is OK with us. Thanks!

Hikerhead
02-06-2011, 21:04
I'm glad to hear you had a good day Jen. Father Time I have you two down for 11am.
That's 6 committed to the 11am hike, 9 for the 10am hike.
Right now the weather is looking like a perfect day on Sat, maybe a little bit cold in the morning.

J5man
02-08-2011, 15:37
Hey everyone! Saturday is fast approaching and we are just trying to get a fairly accurate head count. If you haven't replied and want to join, it is not too late at all.

Is there anyone who has RSVP'd that will not be able to make it?

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Kerosene
02-08-2011, 16:54
There's better than a 50-50 chance that I'll drive down from southeast Michigan on Friday, pick up my daughter (Sunshine) and her friend after morning exams at Miami University, and roll into Roanoke late that night. Of course, I'll have to rouse them out of bed to get to the trailhead in time, but they're excited about visiting McAfee Knob.

Hikerhead
02-08-2011, 17:04
There's better than a 50-50 chance that I'll drive down from southeast Michigan on Friday, pick up my daughter (Sunshine) and her friend after morning exams at Miami University, and roll into Roanoke late that night. Of course, I'll have to rouse them out of bed to get to the trailhead in time, but they're excited about visiting McAfee Knob.

Very cool. What's little Kerosene's trail name?

Lugnut
02-08-2011, 17:27
Very cool. What's little Kerosene's trail name?

I'm just guessing but I'm going to say Sunshine. :rolleyes:

Hikerhead
02-08-2011, 17:43
I'm just guessing but I'm going to say Sunshine. :rolleyes:

You cheated.

Cookerhiker
02-08-2011, 18:35
Does anyone know what the trail conditions are like for the hike to McAfee? Specifically, is there a snowpack and if so, how deep?

Just wanted to know to decide on footwear, hiking pants, gaiters, etc.

hobbs
02-08-2011, 18:49
Does anyone know what the trail conditions are like for the hike to McAfee? Specifically, is there a snowpack and if so, how deep?

Just wanted to know to decide on footwear, hiking pants, gaiters, etc.
There's No Snow right now....hasn't been any in a month..Its been in the 50's here lately...:D

Ox97GaMe
02-08-2011, 19:50
Doesnt look like I will able to attend. A good friend of mine (Pawpaw) passed yesterday and it looks like I will be headed to KY instead.

J5man
02-08-2011, 21:07
Doesnt look like I will able to attend. A good friend of mine (Pawpaw) passed yesterday and it looks like I will be headed to KY instead.

I had heard that he had passed away. I have heard a lot of good things about him, I wished I had known him. Safe travels Ox.

J5man
02-08-2011, 21:09
FYI, if anyone happens to miss one of the starting times with the group, just drive up to the trailhead and start hiking, I am sure you will run into one of the groups eventually. It's all good.

Hikerhead
02-09-2011, 00:58
Sorry that you can't make it Ox, we understand.

13: Roughin' It
-- Ox97GaMe (Can't attend)
16: JohnnyBGood -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
17 and 18: Snafu and friend -- (Assistant) -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
19: Chase
20: Jen (aka Sprout) -- (Assistant) --and hiking sat morning (11am)
21: JerseyDave -- and hiking sat morning (11am)
22: Ol Mole -- and hiking sat morning
23 and 24: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning (11am) --- Veggie Pizza
25: Footloose -- and hiking sat morning
26: Graceful Roll
27: Cookerhiker -- and hiking sat morning (11am)
28,29and 30: Kerosene, Sunshine and Friend -- and hiking sat morning (10am)

11 on the 10am hike -- 6 on the 11am hike (if you didn't specify what time, I'm assuming you want the 10am hike)

I'll second what J5MAN said above. Let's all have a good time.:)

SawnieRobertson
02-09-2011, 22:21
It's not working for me to be there after all. The whole enchilada sounds wonderful. I know it will be a great success. Hopefuly, there will be another. I hate missing Chase's birthday especially. Happy birthday, Chase! Last year he told me I should meet HikerHead, a great fellow. Again, I hope that there will be other opportunities.--Kinnickinic

Hikerhead
02-09-2011, 22:42
It's not working for me to be there after all. The whole enchilada sounds wonderful. I know it will be a great success. Hopefuly, there will be another. I hate missing Chase's birthday especially. Happy birthday, Chase! Last year he told me I should meet HikerHead, a great fellow. Again, I hope that there will be other opportunities.--Kinnickinic

So sorry to hear that, I was really looking forward to seeing you. Chase had me confused with someone else or there was a misunderstanding in there......but what the hey, thanks!. :D
One a side note...J5MAN and I made another after work trip down to Corned Beef and it was confirmed....BEST PIZZA EVER!!!

GracefulRoll
02-10-2011, 09:07
One a side note...J5MAN and I made another after work trip down to Corned Beef and it was confirmed....BEST PIZZA EVER!!!

I agree. The Sinatra pizza is EXCELLENT. However, just cheese is also good. I don't know how they do it, but I think they have one of the best pizza's in Roanoke.

Hikerhead
02-10-2011, 11:05
I agree. The Sinatra pizza is EXCELLENT. However, just cheese is also good. I don't know how they do it, but I think they have one of the best pizza's in Roanoke.

GRoll, we'll get one of those and a Veggie and 4 other kinds starting off. They can bake 6 at a time.

The manager confirmed that our room is set up to show slideshows. Anybody else have some pics of their hikes, bring em.

Frank Laronza Sr, the man that had the John's Spring shelter built in memory of his son told me this morning that he wants to do the 10am hike with us. He's a nice guy, you'll like him. He'll keep Jeff from getting lost too.

The weather now calls for the high to be 48 with partly cloudy skies.

Correction. The garage on my Corned Beef location map was misnamed. It's called The Corner In The Square Parking Garage. I'll fix that and repost it when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

SawnieRobertson
02-10-2011, 11:15
So sorry to hear that, I was really looking forward to seeing you. Chase had me confused with someone else or there was a misunderstanding in there......but what the hey, thanks!. :D
No misunderstanding, I'm sure. I was shuttling Chase and mentioned how I wish there were shuttlers available in the Roanoke area. He replied, as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong, Chase) that I should meet you, that you'd be able to help me find one. I would so like to be on scene when y'all reach the base of the climb to the area of Deagon's Tooth, having been cautioned by a woman hiker friend that I shouldn't even try to do a down climb there. (Short, fat legs reaching down to bars that must have been set in by a very tall person.) I was looking forward to how others handled it. You did, indeed, create the exact opportunity I was looking for, but things fell through on this end. You all will have a wonderrful, delicious time.--Kinnickinic

Hikerhead
02-10-2011, 11:21
GRoll, we'll get one of those and a Veggie and 4 other kinds starting off. They can bake 6 at a time.

The manager confirmed that our room is set up to show slideshows. Anybody else have some pics of their hikes, bring em.

Frank Laronza Sr, the man that had the John's Spring shelter built in memory of his son told me this morning that he wants to do the 10am hike with us. He's a nice guy, you'll like him. He'll keep Jeff from getting lost too.

Correction. The garage on my Corned Beef location map was misnamed. It's called The Corner In The Square Parking Garage. I'll fix that and repost it when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

The name of the parking garage is called THE CENTER IN THE SQUARE PARKING GARAGE. Sorry!!!!! The harder I try the more I'm screwing it up. :):)

J5man
02-10-2011, 12:49
The parking lot could be full or we could possibly fill it up so I thought we should try to car pool. Below is a map showing where the Orange Market convenient store is at the intersection of 419 and 311. It's used as a park and ride lot and it's very safe. I'll post this again before the hike. It's also in the photo gallery.[/QUOTE]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hikerhead and I both will be at the Orange Market parking lot at about 9:30 too if anyone on the 10:00 hike need a shuttle. I will be driving a Black Trailblazer with an AT sticker on the back window.

Again, if you miss a shuttle, just drive on up to the trailhead, or if you get there late, just start hiking, or you can wait and join Hikerhead's group, we are all going to end up at the same place. Should be a great day to hike! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Also remember, if anyone doesn't want to do this hike, Dragon's Tooth is just down the road on Hwy 311.

Hikerhead
02-10-2011, 20:40
No misunderstanding, I'm sure. I was shuttling Chase and mentioned how I wish there were shuttlers available in the Roanoke area. He replied, as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong, Chase) that I should meet you, that you'd be able to help me find one. I would so like to be on scene when y'all reach the base of the climb to the area of Deagon's Tooth, having been cautioned by a woman hiker friend that I shouldn't even try to do a down climb there. (Short, fat legs reaching down to bars that must have been set in by a very tall person.) I was looking forward to how others handled it. You did, indeed, create the exact opportunity I was looking for, but things fell through on this end. You all will have a wonderrful, delicious time.--Kinnickinic

Well if you give me a little notice, come down and I'll hike it with you, it's not too hard. I'm not a very good shuttler because I work during the week and on weekends I'm off doing what everybody else is doing, hiking. But I know a few folks around that would be glad to help out. We're hiking McAfee Knob on Sat but if we do this again, we'll put Dragon's Tooth on the agenda.

Hikerhead
02-10-2011, 21:19
Date of event: 2-12-11 More information--- J5MAN and Hikerhead will provide Pizza and Salad for everyone but you'll be responsible for your drinks.... now that's a good deal!!! You'll also be able to order from the dinner menu if you wish, on your tab.

The Corned Beef -107 S Jefferson St - Roanoke, VA 24011 - (540) 342-3354 - Dinner starts at 5.

13: Roughin' It
-----Sawnie Robertson (Kinnickinic) (Can't attend)
-----Ox97GaMe (Can't attend)
14: Signage -- and hiking sat morning
15: JohnnyBGood -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
16 and 17: Snafu and friend -- (Assistant) -- and hiking sat morning (10am)
19: Jen (aka Sprout) -- (Assistant) --and hiking sat morning (11am)
20: JerseyDave -- and hiking sat morning (11am)
22 and 23: FatherTime09 and wife -- and hiking sat morning (11am) --- Veggie Pizza
25: Graceful Roll
26: Cookerhiker -- and hiking sat morning (11am)
27,28and 29: Kerosene, Sunshine and Friend -- and hiking sat morning (10am)

11 on the 10am hike -- 6 on the 11am hike (if you didn't specify what time, I'm assuming you wanted the 10am hike)

I've corrected the name of the parking garage downtown, The Center In The Square Parking Garage. Roanoke also has a new Art Museum that's been open for about a year now. I've never been to it, just something else for you out of towners. We also have the zoo on top of the mtn where the large star is. Excellent views of Roanoke from up there and also the Catawba Mtn rideline including McAfee Knob,the backside of Tinker Cliffs and Tinker Mtn.

Press
02-10-2011, 22:09
My apologies to all, but my dad, 85, just got out of the hospital and I really don't feel comfortable being out of pocket Saturday to come to Roanoke. Sorry to miss it. On the flip side, you can see Mt. Pleasant and Cold Mountain from his house ...

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 00:03
My apologies to all, but my dad, 85, just got out of the hospital and I really don't feel comfortable being out of pocket Saturday to come to Roanoke. Sorry to miss it. On the flip side, you can see Mt. Pleasant and Cold Mountain from his house ...

No problem Press, I hope your dad gets better.

GracefulRoll
02-11-2011, 09:09

Best wishes for your dad. I send hugs on the breeze.

GracefulRoll
02-11-2011, 09:11
I'll see you all tomorrow! I'm excited! Furthermore, being that you will all be hiking, I won't feel so bad if I come in all dressed down. You'll probably all stink! ;)

By the way, where are we all sitting? Did someone book the upstairs?

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 10:29
I'll see you all tomorrow! I'm excited! Furthermore, being that you will all be hiking, I won't feel so bad if I come in all dressed down. You'll probably all stink! ;)

By the way, where are we all sitting? Did someone book the upstairs?

Yes, we have the big room upstairs all booked up. I'm making little sticky note name tags that everyone can elect to wear or not. If I don't see a name tag, I'll just call you "Hey You". :)

The weather for tomorrow is now calling for upper 40's, partly sunny, and windy. Dress accordingly.

This micro-managing crap is almost done.:banana Lets go hiking and have some good food.

jerseydave
02-11-2011, 11:03
I'll be there, probably a bit early...... looking forward to meeting everyone.

Friends backed out as I had predicted so count me as 1 hiking @11, meeting at the Orange Market.

Trying to figure out what I'm throwing in my bag....... what is everyones intentions? Are we hot lunching at the top, cold snacking, going hungry????

I've got a hand truck with me so someone can wheel the keg to the knob if needed.

Dave

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 11:26
I'll be there, probably a bit early...... looking forward to meeting everyone.

Friends backed out as I had predicted so count me as 1 hiking @11, meeting at the Orange Market.

Trying to figure out what I'm throwing in my bag....... what is everyones intentions? Are we hot lunching at the top, cold snacking, going hungry????

I've got a hand truck with me so someone can wheel the keg to the knob if needed.

Dave

Keg? LOL.... Hot Lunch? LOL

The 11am bunch will be the Navy Seals of the day. Get in quick, fast lunch at the top, get out quick.

Bring whatever you feel like carrying. See ya tomorrow, drive carefully.

jerseydave
02-11-2011, 11:31
Keg? LOL.... Hot Lunch? LOL

The 11am bunch will be the Navy Seals of the day. Get in quick, fast lunch at the top, get out quick.

Got it....... no keg, leaving the chafing dish in the car....... bringing the night vision goggles and amphibious boat.

jlb2012
02-11-2011, 12:33

so the 11am group will be taking the blue blaze route huh?

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 12:48
so the 11am group will be taking the blue blaze route huh?

Both groups are taking the same route which will include some blue blazing. The 10 am group will be a more relaxed hike. We have printed maps of the hike to give out to everyone at the parking lot.

SNAFU
02-11-2011, 13:22
well I suck. I'm sick and wont be able to come. I do not foresee being well enough to make Saturday's dinner with everybody either, sadly. ;( Will miss seeing ya'll and meeting the ones I only know through the internet.

J5man
02-11-2011, 13:41
well I suck. I'm sick and wont be able to come. I do not foresee being well enough to make Saturday's dinner with everybody either, sadly. ;( Will miss seeing ya'll and meeting the ones I only know through the internet.

Oh contraire mon frere!!! Get your butt down there tomorrow evening for the dinner and if you have to sneeze, point in Hikerheads directions!

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 14:49
Oh I don't think so Ms Snafu. The only way you're getting out of this is with a Dr's excuse.

GracefulRoll
02-11-2011, 16:57

Thanks!

Just saw this. AWESOME! Sinatra pizza!!! I haven't had it in a long time, so I hope it's still on the menu!

This sounds like so much fun. :)

GracefulRoll
02-11-2011, 16:58
Oh contraire mon frere!!! Get your butt down there tomorrow evening for the dinner and if you have to sneeze, point in Hikerheads directions!

And I have plenty of surgical masks from the hospital! No excuses!

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 17:14
Just saw this. AWESOME! Sinatra pizza!!! I haven't had it in a long time, so I hope it's still on the menu!

This sounds like so much fun. :)

You'll have to explain so we won't be surprized...what is a Sinatra Pizza?

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 17:15
And I have plenty of surgical masks from the hospital! No excuses!

I believe she's going to go see the Love Dr, you know what I mean.

GracefulRoll
02-11-2011, 17:57
You'll have to explain so we won't be surprized...what is a Sinatra Pizza?

Well, nevermind. My fears came true. They no longer have it, but they said we can custom make a pizza in whatever way we want.

I remember it was a white pizza. No sauce. Olive oil, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, basil... *drool*

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 18:07
Well, nevermind. My fears came true. They no longer have it, but they said we can custom make a pizza in whatever way we want.

I remember it was a white pizza. No sauce. Olive oil, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, basil... *drool*

Then I guess we can still get it or something close.... we'll try anyway.

Cookerhiker is in town now, getting ready to go met him and J5MAN downtown at some eat-n-puke of J5MAN's choosing.

GracefulRoll
02-11-2011, 18:33
Okay... so add 3 friends coming with me.

HikerMom58
02-11-2011, 22:00
Hey...GR...I found it!! I'm "hikermom" on here. Shivers won't be able to come but Angel (me) and Byron are in for tomorrow night's dinner. I can't wait to meet all of you. Of course, I know GR. :) Thanks for letting me know about this meet up! Have a BLAST on your hike everyone...see you all later.

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 22:18
Hey...GR...I found it!! I'm "hikermom" on here. Shivers won't be able to come but Angel (me) and Byron are in for tomorrow night's dinner. I can't wait to meet all of you. Of course, I know GR. :) Thanks for letting me know about this meet up! Have a BLAST on your hike everyone...see you all later.

Great, we'll look forward to seeing you down at The Beef. I'm sure you know where it is, i just found out I got my streets wrong again on my Corn Beef map....darn it :confused:. I'll post another corrected map in a minute.:(

jerseydave
02-11-2011, 22:32
i just found out I got my streets wrong again on my Corn Beef map....darn it :confused:. I'll post another corrected map in a minute.:(

uuuuhhhhmmmm.........
Just to clarify...... This is all taking place in Roanoke, VA isn't it?

J5man
02-11-2011, 22:41
uuuuhhhhmmmm.........

uh.........all what is taking place in Roanoke...........lol. We are making this way harder than it should be! After Hikerheads incident with the dyslexic map to the parking gargage, he can no longer bring up my "wrong way" incident from earlier this year. We are really looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!!

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 22:43
uuuuhhhhmmmm.........

Corned Beef is in Downtown Roanoke. The Orange Market is in Salem or Hanging Rock. The Trail head is on Catawba Mtn near Catawba. Sorry about the Corned Beef map problem, I just had two of my streets switched. New map is going up.

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 22:48
The parking garage is on Campbell Ave. Sorry :(

Hikerhead
02-11-2011, 22:55
uh.........all what is taking place in Roanoke...........lol. We are making this way harder than it should be! After Hikerheads incident with the dyslexic map to the parking gargage, he can no longer bring up my "wrong way" incident from earlier this year. We are really looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!!

Me never map draw again. :D

Kerosene
02-12-2011, 00:33
Kerosene drove all 8 hours from Miami University (northwest of Cincy) with his enthusiastic daughter, Sunshine, and her hiking-crazy friend, Caitlin. If I can get them out of bed tomorrow then we'll be on the hike up to McAfee Knob, but we'll either start a bit before 11 or with the 11 o'clock group. We'll be in a blue sedan with Michigan plates and Miami University plastered across the back window.

WARNING: Do not acknowledge these girls unless you like to talk!!! Keep your eyes averted as you pass them, even though they will likely try to take your picture.

SNAFU
02-12-2011, 03:38
hmm well I actually went to the doctors this morning. . . I didn't get a note though. I don't think I'll be much fun blowing my nose every five minutes and coughing so hard I fall outa my chair. ;) I am hopeful....but ....it doesnt look good.

jerseydave
02-12-2011, 07:26
NOAA Weather for Catawba, VA -----
Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 45. West wind between 10 and 17 mph.

Ventured outside my condo in Massanutten a few minutes ago and the wind almost took the door out of my hand :eek:

Hope it's at least a "tailwind".....;)

See ya'll in a few hours

GracefulRoll
02-12-2011, 15:23
Okay... So I had this genius plan. I was cleared for activities by the doc, but I didn't tell any of you. My idea? Hike in early and snap every one of your photos as you came up to the top.

My idea was over as soon as I got to the top and took a picture for someone. It was COOOOOLLLLLD!!! Well, at least it was at 11:15. As I was taking a photo, the wind sent me sideways (luckily towards and not away from the mountain), and I immediately grabbed my pack and headed back down. "F*@# this!" I said over and over. I had no idea when the 10:00 group was gonna show.

I hope you all had fun. See you at the dinner.

Speakeasy TN
02-12-2011, 20:51
Okay... So I had this genius plan. I was cleared for activities by the doc, but I didn't tell any of you. My idea? Hike in early and snap every one of your photos as you came up to the top.

My idea was over as soon as I got to the top and took a picture for someone. It was COOOOOLLLLLD!!! Well, at least it was at 11:15. As I was taking a photo, the wind sent me sideways (luckily towards and not away from the mountain), and I immediately grabbed my pack and headed back down. "F*@# this!" I said over and over. I had no idea when the 10:00 group was gonna show.

The best laid plans................. Glad you're "back".

Jan LiteShoe
02-12-2011, 21:03

I'm always a day late and a dollar short!
Sounds like a good time.

HikerMom58
02-12-2011, 23:27
Hey Everyone, I had a great time 2 nite! Thank you Hikerhead and J5man for the salad and pizza!! I loved seeing the picture slide shows!! So nice meeting all of you!!

Hikerhead
02-12-2011, 23:30

Hey Graceful Roll, I'm glad that you did get out there but sorry we didn't hook up with you. We we're moving as fast as we could. I'm really glad that you came to dinner. You're road to recovery looks like it's going well. It was good to see you again.

Hikerhead
02-12-2011, 23:31
Thanks to everyone that came out. I had a great time and I feel like I did something today. Let's do this again sometime.

Hikerhead
02-12-2011, 23:32
I'm always a day late and a dollar short!
Sounds like a good time.

I'll send you a personal invitation the next time. We had fun.

Hikerhead
02-12-2011, 23:33
Hey Everyone, I had a great time 2 nite! Thank you Hikerhead and J5man for the salad and pizza!! I loved seeing the picture slide shows!! So nice meeting all of you!!

You're welcome, we're glad that you came. New Englanders rock!!

Lugnut
02-12-2011, 23:34
Thanks to everyone that came out. I had a great time and I feel like I did something today. Let's do this again sometime.

How about next week? :banana

Hikerhead
02-12-2011, 23:41
How about next week? :banana

I'll probably still be stiff, I was chasing a race horse all day. :)

Jan LiteShoe
02-12-2011, 23:47
I'll send you a personal invitation the next time. We had fun.

With plenty of notice, that's a big 10-4 there good buddy!
:sun:)

jerseydave
02-13-2011, 01:11
Had a great time, in a beautiful place, enjoying new friends.

HH and J5........ I can't thank you enough for taking the time in organizing the hike and for the festivities afterward.

Thanks also to everyone I met today in helping this newcomer feel so welcomed. Your a good bunch!

If I'm able to work it out, I'll definitely be there for the "2nd Annual Roanoke Run"

J5man
02-13-2011, 10:15
Hey Everyone! Wow, what a great bunch of people! I really enjoyed meeting eveyone and making new friends. I am glad eveyone had a good time and we will definitely make this an annual event (we can't let the Nashville group have all the fun!). Also, thanks to the out of staters for coming! Kerosene, it was great to meet you Sunshine and Caitlyn - I wish I had half their energy! JerseyDave we are making you an honary Virginian since you spend so much time here anyway! Cookerhiker cam in KY! And thanks for your awesome pics of your hikes. Also RocketJones, even though you are in VA, it was awesome that you drove down from the Alexandria to join in! Graceful Roll, it was great to finally meet you! I am impressed as hell that you did the hike yesterday!!!!!! That was amazing!!! I found out that Ol Mole and I work within a block of each other and have probably passed each other on the street a thousand time! JohnnyB, great to meet you - he and I were almots neighbors but that is another story! Jen, you are a hiking machine! Thanks for the presentation last night - you should be a public speaker! Hobbs - good luck on your upcoming thru hike!
Signage - have fun on your upcoming hikes - she has hiked more this month than all of us put together! Hikermom - great meeting you and your husband and thanks for sharing with us the shelter journals and pics.

Again, thanks to all for coming and I am glad you were able to find the parking garage! I wish you all would have taken more pizza home so I wouldn't have had to had it for breakfast this morning!

Looking forward to next year!!

J5man
02-13-2011, 10:26
Lead Dog here, yep I am interested. TheCaptain and I will attend.

Also nice to meet both of you last night. I didn't get to "mingle" as much as I wanted too since I was a little late getting there but thanks for introducing yourself before you left. Did you take any pizza home?!!

johnnybgood
02-13-2011, 12:42
Thanks to Hikerhead and J5man this was a blast . I enjoyed meeting everyone and hiking on what was a beautiful . although windy day.
We have to do this again next year , and I for one would want to pay you both back for being such generous hosts.

GracefulRoll
02-13-2011, 13:15
Did anyone else forget to turn off their alarms for this morning? Ugh. 6:00 a.m. I was scrambling literally half out of the bed to find out from where that horrible noise was coming.

Hoke - That pizza was awesome. Thanks. Good to see you! Now that I am walking funny until Tuesday, I'll have more time to read that book you got me.

So, the cookies survived the purse trip home. CookerHiker, THANKS! After you mentioned it, I kind of could taste the raspberry in that icing. I also noticed the little tiny flecks of berry. Well done, good sir! :) The DVD from the JMT was stellar, as well.

Jeff, it was great to meet you! Thanks for the Blue Moon. I had no idea you were so close. You're so close that I could practically use a cleverly crafted yet improvisational sling shot to launch some overripe grapefruits at your house from the top of my hill. You've seen pumpkin chucking contests, right?

Signage, lovely to meet you, as well. As soon as I find my phone, I'll email you. We shall hike.

JohnnyB, it was a pleasure! Hope the trip back to Richmond is nice. If you're already there or leaving, the weather is great! Thanks for the blood. Now that I think about it, I know that they got blood for me from far away, so you may very well have been put in a giant O- pool. That happens, right? I wasn't just high on all of those awesome drugs they gave me when they told me they mix it together? I know mine got irradiated and all kinds of crazy stuff...

Kerosene and his splendid daughter and her splendid friend (yeah, I forgot their names. wah wah!) -- I think it's great how you all traveled so far for such a short trip! I hope all of you get to do a big hike together eventually.

Jen - I told my wildlife conservationist pal in Mass. about the pictures (she loves to point out plants and flowers during her hikes, too) says that more wildflowers = less deer. Did you notice that? She told me how much overpopulation of deer can decimate species of flowers and other plants. Oh, and they will definitely eat an endangered orchid. :P *cue sad Price is Right music*

Hikermom and Byron - I'm glad you made it on such short notice. You live up the street. Why do we bother with the internet?

Hobbs - Thanks for my yellow adornment. If anything, I lived freaking ox strong yesterday. Huffed it up the mountain!

To Ted, Farmboy (is that right?), JerseyDave, and everyone else I met - I was probably exhausted, but it was good to talk to you, meet you, and put faces to names. The trick is remembering them.

I had a great time!

I just at this very moment found my other cookie intact after the tossing of the purse onto the floor! Joy! *munch*

johnnybgood
02-13-2011, 13:38
Great to see you looking so chipper G-Roll after all you've been through. Unfortunately my yummies didn't survive the walk back to the parking deck . I couldn't contain myself. :D

J5man
02-13-2011, 14:21
Here are some pics from the hike. Click for slideshow.

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/579756238yuSdwX

Blissful
02-13-2011, 16:17
Nice pics. You all had great weather. Thought about you all. Wish I could have gone.

GracefulRoll
02-13-2011, 17:40
Great to see you looking so chipper G-Roll after all you've been through. Unfortunately my yummies didn't survive the walk back to the parking deck . I couldn't contain myself. :D

It was really difficult not eating those on the way home, however, I know I can't make gingerbread cookies to save my life, especially with icing naturally died from raspberries.

Genius.

It was nice to wake up to cookies, though.

Rocket Jones
02-13-2011, 17:57
Just got home and wanted to give a huge THANK YOU to Hikerhead and J5Man for setting this up. I had a blast meeting everyone, put some faces to names, heard great stories and enjoyed the food and camaraderie.

A memorable weekend for sure!

Ol Mole
02-13-2011, 19:25
Thanks to Hikerhead and J5man for their great idea and organizing the event. It was so nice to meet and make new friends. I greatly enjoyed the hike and the dinner was amazing. I hope to follow up with those I met and hike new adventures.

Happy trails.

hobbs
02-13-2011, 20:04
Jman and Hikerhead-You by far are World Class Hosts..Thank you for the wonderful hike and dinner..I will definantly be at next years regardless of where I am at.Cant tell you how much a pleasure it was to meet you both and hike with you. Please love to help you next year in the event anyway possible for the hospitality you both showed us..Thank you both..Jman pictures are awesome...Hikerhead the history of the area was awesome thank you for the side tours..
jen -Thank you for playing Rangler at times and helping me out with questions.I will be in contact with more.
kersene-thanks for comeing so far and bringing Sunshine and her friend.Enjoyed hiking with you.
Johnny B Good glad you came down and we hiked it was awesome.i enjoyed celebrating your BDay and Jens.Hope to hike again with you.
Ol Mole- thanks for the conversations on the trail and perspective of hiking.hike with ya anyday.
Cookerhiker=thanks for coming to the event and being part of it.You and the others made it special.I wish I could have stayed for your photo's
Jersey Dave-thanks for coming and chatting on the trail.I have friends hiking Harriman State Park NY March 4-6 if your intersted.My friend has thru hiked the AT and its 4-7 people but anyone is invited.Just shoot me a PM.
hikermom Sorry I met you real quick and had to run.Hope to talk and hike with you someday.happy that you were there.

graceful Roll you are definantly what Driver8 and the others have said.Awesome! I am happy you got to hike and kick it.LOL When i think its tough on my thru I will think of what you ahve been thru and remeber "It's just walking".

To everyone I didn't get a chance to meet I am very sorry.I wish I had and hope to in the future.I had gotten a Text from my boss and had to work today.your all exceptional people and hope to hike with you in the future.:D

Cookerhiker
02-13-2011, 21:20
Wow, I'm late to reply here. It was wonderful having this get-together and meeting you all - those that I only "knew" through WB cyberspace. Hikerhead & J5Man, how did you arrange for such gorgeous weather for the hike?!:sun Thanks so much for organizing this.

Glad you all enjoyed the cookies and mints - fortunately I didn't have too many to take home and eat all myself.

I just posted some photos from the hike on the WB Gallery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=5065).

Next year? You bet!

GracefulRoll
02-13-2011, 21:44
graceful Roll you are definantly what Driver8 and the others have said.Awesome! I am happy you got to hike and kick it.LOL When i think its tough on my thru I will think of what you ahve been thru and remeber "It's just walking".

Ah, at least my ears were burning because of good things. ;)

jerseydave
02-13-2011, 21:58
Still trying to figure out this new toy, but for anyone who might be interested the rout tracking on my GPS says the following:

We walked a total of 9.8 miles
Total moving time was 3hrs 32min
Moving avg speed 2.8 mph
Total stopped time 2hrs 47min
Overall avg speed for total trip time was 1.5mph
Total combined ascent of 3629ft
Max elevation 3183ft

Any of this sound about right?

I'm still trying to learn this thing, there's suppose to be a way to download the route track and overlay it onto google earth and the like to see an actual step by step route laid out over their topo..... ????
I think I may have failed to save it properly in order to do that..... not sure yet.

No real valuable information there, but fun to play with never the less.

Cookerhiker
02-13-2011, 22:09
Still trying to figure out this new toy, but for anyone who might be interested the rout tracking on my GPS says the following:

Moving avg speed 2.8 mph
Max elevation 3183ft

I'm still trying to learn this thing, there's suppose to be a way to download the route track and overlay it onto google earth and the like to see an actual step by step route laid out over their topo..... ????
I think I may have failed to save it properly in order to do that..... not sure yet.

First of all Dave, it was great to meet you and I hope you had a nice hike or ski today. And down the road if you're the last one leaving Jersey, turn off the lights.

Now as to your stats, I wish it were so but I can't believe we ascended a gross amount of 3,629'. But the 9.8 mile distance seems realistic or at least reasonably close as do all the other stats.

Cookerhiker
02-13-2011, 22:21
With plenty of notice, that's a big 10-4 there good buddy!
:sun:)

Jan if you come next year, I'm comin' back too!

Here are some pics from the hike. Click for slideshow.

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/579756238yuSdwX

Terrific photos Jeff. Who took the one of Hikerhead attempting to push me off the cliff?

jerseydave
02-13-2011, 22:24
First of all Dave, it was great to meet you and I hope you had a nice hike or ski today. And down the road if you're the last one leaving Jersey, turn off the lights.

Now as to your stats, I wish it were so but I can't believe we ascended a gross amount of 3,629'. But the 9.8 mile distance seems realistic or at least reasonably close as do all the other stats.

Great meeting you as well, I totally enjoyed the entire day.
Today ended up being a zero day.... laundry shopping, etc....
Skiing tomorrow and I WILL grab a local dayhike or two before I venture back to the dreaded homeland.

I was kinda surprised with that total elevation gain myself and began to doubt it...... but then I stood up and my quads and back made me rethink my doubt...... LOL (it's a GOOD kind of stiffness)

Hope to meet up again sometime soon.

Dave

hobbs
02-13-2011, 22:41
Did you guy's here my phone text on the Knob? That was my boss trying to tell me to work today..LOL so I was a little slow this morning and my eye's are haveing a hardtime focusing.But I had a great time and would love to hike with you all again after my thru.I have a hike on wednesday to train...

johnnybgood
02-13-2011, 22:43
Your GPS calcalations sound reasonable to me Jeresydave although the gross total ascent surprised me a bit. Following Hikerhead all day might explain that . Every off trail excursion was way uphill. :D
What trail did you have planned to hike tommorow ?

Again , I enjoyed meeting and hiking with you.

Cookerhiker
02-13-2011, 22:51
..... Following Hikerhead all day might explain that . Every off trail excursion was way uphill. :D

Hmm, good point.;)

jerseydave
02-13-2011, 23:12
Your GPS calcalations sound reasonable to me Jeresydave although the gross total ascent surprised me a bit. Following Hikerhead all day might explain that . Every off trail excursion was way uphill. :D
What trail did you have planned to hike tommorow ?

Again , I enjoyed meeting and hiking with you.

Can't say it enough, so I'll gladly repeat it....... enjoyed meeting you too.
Wasn't planning a hike tomorrow, but am open for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Since I'm right here on 33 I was planning something somewhat close in SNP.
Don't really have a clue when it comes to specific hikes in the park, loosely have a few in mind, but still trying to figure it out.

Looking for a loop or out n back, nothing too extreme, scenic, something to get me home by dinner.... nice little stroll in the park with some cardio involved.

I was left with the impression that you were very familiar with SNP.

You open.... wanna go?

Any suggestions?

jerseydave
02-13-2011, 23:18
Johnnybgood

Hobbs and I were pm'n about hookin up to go..... he's possibly up for Wednesday as well.

Lets follow up the Roanoke Run with a Shenandoah Stroll

jerseydave
02-13-2011, 23:31
That invitation is obviously open to any of you "locals" that'd like to go out for a hike.

Teach me....... I need a trail guide ;)

Hikerhead
02-13-2011, 23:47
This was a nice 10 mile hike I did a while back in SNP neat Big Meadows. You can shorten it up to about 5 miles by taking the Rose River Fire Road at the bottom of the falls back to the AT and then to the campground. The Harry Byrd visitor center is very nice to check out. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/575343437JzAlzP
Lots of loops to do. JohnnyBGood probably knows most of them.

jerseydave
02-14-2011, 00:42
This was a nice 10 mile hike I did a while back in SNP neat Big Meadows. You can shorten it up to about 5 miles by taking the Rose River Fire Road at the bottom of the falls back to the AT and then to the campground. The Harry Byrd visitor center is very nice to check out. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/575343437JzAlzP
Lots of loops to do. JohnnyBGood probably knows most of them.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Just got off the phone with JohnnyBGood and it looks like this is gonna happen, I think Hobbs is also in.

Watta ya doin Wednesday? :D

Hikerhead
02-14-2011, 02:12
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Just got off the phone with JohnnyBGood and it looks like this is gonna happen, I think Hobbs is also in.

Watta ya doin Wednesday? :D

Wish I could, got to work. :(

Kerosene
02-14-2011, 11:08
We left Roanoke yesterday at 10:15 am and I dropped off Sunshine and Caitlin at Miami U. at 6:45 pm. I rolled into Ann Arbor at 10:45 pm.

I was able to pull up J5Man's slideshow in the car with my broadband connection, which the girls really loved. Between them they took over 300 shots, and knowing their school schedules they probably won't ever cull them into something presentable. They had a great time, as did I. Thanks for the southern hospitality, Hikerhead and J5Man. I'm so glad that folks made the time to get out for a hike on a lovely day. I had estimated that we had walked 10 miles. Now if I could only do that every day!

J5man
02-15-2011, 12:05
Kerosene, wow what a long day of driving! Yea, Sunshine and Caitlyn probably have the best pictures of all!

Cookerhiker
02-15-2011, 17:39

Moving avg speed 2.8 mph
Max elevation 3183ft

Dave I was wondering - is it possible that 3,629' figure is a hash total - the sum of ascents and descents?

Look at it this way: we returned to our starting point so if my theory is true, the gross elevation gained is 1,815'. Now per the Companion, the elevation difference from Rt. 311 to McAfee is 1,207'. But it wasn't straight up and back; we had a lot of intervening ups and downs plus Hikerhead's side excursions all of which could have added an additional 600' of ascent.

Don't know what else to think.

Hikerhead
02-15-2011, 18:20
Dave I was wondering - is it possible that 3,629' figure is a hash total - the sum of ascents and descents?

Look at it this way: we returned to our starting point so if my theory is true, the gross elevation gained is 1,815'. Now per the Companion, the elevation difference from Rt. 311 to McAfee is 1,207'. But it wasn't straight up and back; we had a lot of intervening ups and downs plus Hikerhead's side excursions all of which could have added an additional 600' of ascent.
Don't know what else to think.

That was a long way to come to be a whinner. :D

hobbs
02-15-2011, 18:26
Hikerhead. I liked the extra side trips..Learned history I had no idea about..The hike tommorow is out....SNP has ice and snow...JOHNNY B Good ran up on monday and said it was" treacherous". Jersey dave and I are going with his call. I'll be hiking around here wednesday...

Hikerhead
02-15-2011, 18:31
Hikerhead. I liked the extra side trips..Learned history I had no idea about..The hike tommorow is out....SNP has ice and snow...JOHNNY B Good ran up on monday and said it was" treacherous". Jersey dave and I are going with his call. I'll be hiking around here wednesday...

I'm glad you liked it Hobbs, you are da man. That's surprising to hear about SNP being iced up but I know they got hit pretty bad on that last snow event where we hardly got anything down here in the valley....good call.

jlb2012
02-15-2011, 18:37
yeah the trails are icy in spots in SNP but nothing that microspikes can't handle

hobbs
02-15-2011, 18:44
yeah the trails are icy in spots in SNP but nothing that microspikes can't handle
Unfortunently niether of us have a pair or yaks...So Jersey dave is sking. I am hiking around here to get in shape for my thru.But we really all wanted to do another hike together for that World class event Hikerhead and Jman organized...I think It would be out Tennessee event Rainman has. LOL

Cookerhiker
02-15-2011, 18:56
That was a long way to come to be a whinner. :D

Oh but I liked it - the extra walking enabled me to have an extra slice of pizza!

Hikerhead
02-15-2011, 19:23
On as side note. On Trail Journals, a guy is writting about his 1971 AT Thru-hike and he's getting close to the Roanoke area. It will be interesting to read about how the trail went thru here. Did he do McAfee Knob or North Mtn. See if he writes about hiking down the gravel road off of Tinker Mtn, that was the trail when I was a kid in high school. See if he goes to the old post office in Cloverdale, now an empty cinder block building near the new PO. See if he mentions the Jesus Saves sign on Mtn Pass Rd as he makes his way up to the next shelter. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=336880

GracefulRoll
02-15-2011, 21:49
So it was pointed out in my post-gathering message on here that I said something to the tune of walking funny until Tuesday.

Before Lamarr threatens me with anymore social blackmail, I'd just like to say that I only sat on top of McAfee's that day. ;)

jerseydave
02-15-2011, 23:15

The manual (you forced me to READ the directions :() states that total elevation gain = total ascent.

I may have failed to clear the log properly prior to beginning the hike?????
But I doubt thats the case because all other data seems correct.

I've played around with it a bit since and the "total elevation gain = total ascent" seems to be correct.

Did a roller coaster ridge walk today of a few miles and it read out 400 and some feet total elevation gain. That number seems about correct to me.

Don't know?

Hikerhead
02-15-2011, 23:30

The manual (you forced me to READ the directions :() states that total elevation gain = total ascent.

I may have failed to clear the log properly prior to beginning the hike?????
But I doubt thats the case because all other data seems correct.

I've played around with it a bit since and the "total elevation gain = total ascent" seems to be correct.

Did a roller coaster ridge walk today of a few miles and it read out 400 and some feet total elevation gain. That number seems about correct to me.

Don't know?

Take it on a ski run tomorrow and test it out since the bottom and the top of the slopes are known elevations.

Hikerhead
02-15-2011, 23:31
So it was pointed out in my post-gathering message on here that I said something to the tune of walking funny until Tuesday.

Before Lamarr threatens me with anymore social blackmail, I'd just like to say that I only sat on top of McAfee's that day. ;)

:-?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

jerseydave
02-15-2011, 23:39
Take it on a ski run tomorrow and test it out since the bottom and the top of the slopes are known elevations.

I just did a google search...... "McAfee Knob" "total elevation gain"

Several hits seem to support my numbers.

For some reason I think Cookerhiker is attempting to downplay his accomplishments ;)

If I hit the slopes tomorrow I'll take it with me....... good idea, glad I thought of that!

Cookerhiker
02-16-2011, 09:21
....The manual (you forced me to READ the directions :() ....

Oh man, I'm sorry.:o That's always a last resort.

hobbs
02-16-2011, 09:45
Oh man, I'm sorry.:o That's always a last resort.
You think he will?:rolleyes:

jerseydave
02-16-2011, 19:14
Since the topic was somewhat started here, I'll post the link to the other thread here as well.

JohnnyBGood was right. The trails in SNP are very icy, but I had to get something in, no matter how small.

Took a walk in the park today, Hightop Mountain.
I posted some pics at webshots.

To avoid derailing this thread any more than I already have, here is the link to the other thread if youd like to see the pics.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1115501#post1115501

Dave

hobbs
02-16-2011, 21:32
Jersey dave nice hike and yeah my friend busted my chops for us not getting microspikes.LOL I did 8 miles thru trouteville towards Rock Bridge. Bought microspikes on the way home.. I got a thru hiker discount at Outdoor trails. They told me their getting geared up for the thru hiker season.

hobbs
02-17-2011, 13:20
Here's the link to the photo's I took from our Hikehttp://http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2545988540107045633zbDaeU?vhost=outdoors:D

hobbs
02-17-2011, 13:25
Here's the link to the photo's I took from our Hikehttp://http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2545988540107045633zbDaeU?vhost=outdoors:D
Try again...Sorry new to this programUhg!http://http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2699567110103300070OFDmEw?vhost=outdoors

Hikerhead
02-17-2011, 13:47
On the page that has all of your pics showing, copy the addy at the top of the page. It should have your member name in it.

jerseydave
02-17-2011, 13:53
I noticed a lot of us are using webshots, but only J5man is able to link up to an actual slideshow..... the rest of us just get a proof page?????

Jeff, are you using an upgraded service or am I just overlooking something very obvious (wouldn't surprise me).

I want to post up my pics as well, but it will need to wait a few more days.
I'm busy packing up now, gonna load up later tonight and be on my way back to NJ early in the AM...... :(

Hikerhead
02-17-2011, 13:59
I noticed a lot of us are using webshots, but only J5man is able to link up to an actual slideshow..... the rest of us just get a proof page?????

Jeff, are you using an upgraded service or am I just overlooking something very obvious (wouldn't surprise me).

I want to post up my pics as well, but it will need to wait a few more days.
I'm busy packing up now, gonna load up later tonight and be on my way back to NJ early in the AM...... :(

I think he had his set on slide show and paused it and then copied the addy. I tried it myself and it didn't seem to work...he's a smarty. If your a paying member you do get the option of downloading another program but my Foxfire server/program won't allow me to do that.

hobbs
02-17-2011, 20:27
http://http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2545988540107045633zbDaeU?vhost=outdoors

Cookerhiker
02-17-2011, 20:36
http://http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2545988540107045633zbDaeU?vhost=outdoors

Redundancy - one too many "http://" I deleted one and got your photos. Nice job - they look good and capture the spirit of the day.

hobbs
02-17-2011, 20:53
thanks cookerhiker:cool:Trying to learn this program. It almost zapped my work programs:eek: I always liked the shots of the valleys...

Cookerhiker
02-17-2011, 20:56
Wasn't able to comment on the photos even though I logged in with my Webshots (freebie) account. Photo # 19 looked like I had a cell phone in my right hand holding it to my ear. I swear I did not!

jerseydave
02-17-2011, 20:57
???

I entered it as Cookerhiker suggested and I get a "link broken" page ????

http://outdoors.webshots.com/...vhost=outdoors

Hikerhead
02-17-2011, 20:59
Same for me...Hobbs, what's you name on Webshots?