PDA

View Full Version : Early June

Cjcochra
01-06-2011, 17:27
Can anyone give me an idea of how the weather typically is in early June? How crowded are the shelters around that time? Anything else that I should be aware of that time of year?

Thanks!

Torch09
01-06-2011, 18:15
That's a bit too general. Maybe tell us a location?

Cjcochra
01-07-2011, 00:53
On the AT in the GSMNP (I'm in the correct forum right?) between Fontana and Davenport Gap. If anyone is able to discuss more localized weather than that, I obviously need to be educated... so please do.

Torch09
01-07-2011, 01:40
My apologies... I didn't realize what forum this was in. I incorrectly assumed you were asking about the trail in general.:rolleyes:

So the Smokies, eh? Personally, I only have minimal experience but I'll lend what knowledge I do possess. The last time I was there was the end of June/ begining of July 2009. Leaving Fontana Dam, the temperature was around 80 with high humidity. After reaching 4000+ feet elevation, the temp. had dropped to about 65. At night it dropped even further to as low as 45 (according to the thermometer of a fellow hiker). The days never went higher than 70 and it rained on and off for 3 of the six days I was in the mountains.

For early June, I would guess slightly cooler temperatures. Hopefully, for your benefit, someone with more knowledge than me will chime in here.

Cjcochra
01-07-2011, 08:19
Thanks Torch. I appreciate the info!

OldFeet
01-07-2011, 13:17
I did the same hike the second week in May last year and the shelters were never full. You'll be hiking after the thru hikers have passed but you still need to reserve space in the shelters in GSMNP and can do this 30 days in advance through the number provided on their website. The second week in May daytime temps were comfortable in the upper 50's and low 60's but dipped into the 30's most nights.

bigcranky
01-07-2011, 13:55
We went in early June a few years ago. The previous week it had been sleeting sideways along the ridgelines, with lows around 30 and highs in the 50s. So we carried warm clothes and rain gear, and got unseasonably hot and dry conditions.

So it can change quickly. Check the weather forecast for the higher elevations.

grumps
01-07-2011, 14:42
early june can be unstable hot and humid down low and cold and wet up high, be prepared for almost anything

HooKooDooKu
01-07-2011, 15:13
early june can be unstable hot and humid down low and cold and wet up high, be prepared for almost anything

Ditto...

The best anyone could do is give you the "AVERAGE" like what is listed on the Park's website http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/weather.htm

And while the site shows an AVERAGE low of upper 40's in June, I recall being told that Mt. LeConte Lodge (on a mastif just off the AT) has seen snow at the lodge every month of the year but July.

ashleigh22
01-07-2011, 20:20
Like Grumps said, be prepared for anything, but this will give you an idea:

"By mid-June, heat, haze, and humidity are the norm. Most precipitation occurs as afternoon thundershowers. Summer weather generally persists through mid-September. At the lower elevations, expect highs in the mid-80's and lows around the 60's. Above 5,000 feet, the highs will be in the mid-60's and the lows in the low 50's."

I don't know what area you plan on being in, but usually at that time there are flowers blooming in the higher elevations and in lower elevations most things are in full bloom. Usually flame azaleas bloom on Gregory Bald between June 15-25. Andrew's Bald also gets the beautiful azaleas as well as Catawba rhododendron.

A few good trails for June are:

1) Alum Cave to Mt. LeConte - I think it is about 5 miles to Mt. LeConte from the Alum Cave trail. It will be a busy time of the year for day hikers, but you will see the amazing 'Alum Cave Bluffs' & the rhododendron will be in bloom along this trail. If you stay at Mt. LeConte, you can either stay in the shelter or at the Lodge, but both require reservations and a permit. I'd stay there for a night and then hike on over to Charlies Bunion and The Jumpoff and check those out. On our way to the Jumpoff we saw Pink Ladyslipper Orchids along the trail in '09. Campsite #49 is near there and one of my favorite campsites in the Smokies. Right next to a beautiful creek. If you stay there for a night, you can exit down to Smokemont. It's a very nice little 3 day hike. Easily graded after day two.

2) Fontana Dam is beautiful and there are a few campsites down near the lake that are spectacular! If you can make your way down there, or are in that area, make sure to stop by any of those campsites, you won't be disappointed. Rainfall is pretty heavy this time of year, so if you choose a route with a lot of stream crossings you can almost guarantee wet boots unless you bring something to cross the streams in.

3) The Old Settlers Trail- This trail runs about 17 or 18 miles one way, but it's kind of like a secluded Cade's Cove for the foot traveler. The Baxter Cabin still stands on/near the trail. There are also old stone chimneys on this trail. The weeds will probably hide most of the old ruins if you go in June, though. Mountain Laurel flowers bloom on this trail and they are very pretty and fragrant. Also expect to see pipsissewa, rosebud orchid and maybe some early rosebay rhododendron in bloom. We saw a few roses one year, obviously planted by settlers from long ago. The grade isn't too bad on this trail and overall I liked it a lot. We didn't see but one other person, an older gentlemen walking that trail when we were there.

Bottom line is that anywhere you go in the Smokies, you will probably be enchanted. At any time of year. Be prepared for wet weather and colder nights in higher elevations. Enjoy your time there, I am green with envy as it is my favorite place in the world. Have fun! :)

Chappy
01-21-2011, 20:05
July gets the most visitors in GRSM. Some of the shelters will be filled in June, but more likely to find fewer hikers during the week.