PDA

View Full Version : Tent help Puh-leeze!

Sierra Echo
01-06-2011, 17:38
Does ANYONE know where I can find a one person tent that has all important sides covered (this means no see through mesh domes) and is reasonably priced? As in not three hundred dollars!

Tennessee Viking
01-06-2011, 17:42
I have a Eureka Solitare. It has nylon flaps covering all its mesh fabric.
http://store.eurekatent.com/products/364747/Solitaire_Tent
I have seen it at Dicks, Bass Pro Shop, Gander Mtn, and several online stores.

It doesn't offer a lot of room. But who cares when you are sleeping.

Sierra Echo
01-06-2011, 17:51
TV~!!!!! that is perfect~!!!!
consider yourself hugged and your cheeked kissed~!!!

now what do you think about this sleeping bag??

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-30-MidSize-Mummy-Sleeping-Bag/product/10205213/-1658411

Doc Mike
01-06-2011, 18:07
3.6 pounds for 30 degrees is way to heavy
cabelas has a 15 degree bag eureka casper that weighs 2# 15
and is the price is better.

Sierra Echo
01-06-2011, 18:12
I don't live near a Cabellas.
What looks good at Bass Pro? LOL

http://www.basspro.com/Camping-Sleeping-Bags-Beds/_/N-1z11d1x/No-0

JERMM
01-06-2011, 18:21
REI has some of their brand name bags on sale

Skidsteer
01-06-2011, 18:30
I don't live near a Cabellas.
What looks good at Bass Pro? LOL

http://www.basspro.com/Camping-Sleeping-Bags-Beds/_/N-1z11d1x/No-0

A bit of advice?

Buy the best bag you can afford. It'll be cheaper in the long run and you'll enjoy your cold weather hikes waaay more than you would in a BPS bag.

Grinder
01-06-2011, 18:50
Campmor house brand down bags seem to always get good ratings for best econo down bag.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40066

For backpacking you have to worry about the cubic size of things too. Down packs lots smaller

Tinker
01-06-2011, 19:01
Does ANYONE know where I can find a one person tent that has all important sides covered (this means no see through mesh domes) and is reasonably priced? As in not three hundred dollars!

SE - are you a cold sleeper? Do you plan on using the tent for all four seasons? If you're looking for a three season tent that isn't all or mostly mesh, you may be too hot in the summer.
"Three season tents" (spring, summer, fall) usually have some mesh and some fabric, and all good double walled tents will have a rainfly which offers privacy.
Check out www.sierratradingpost.com (http://www.sierratradingpost.com) for closeout tents. Campmor also has a "hot deals" section with closeouts. If a tent looks good to you you can order it, set it up on plastic in the back yard, sleep in it for a night or two, and return it if it's not for you.
Cabela's has a one person dome tent which is reasonably light and doesn't have too much mesh.

Tinker
01-06-2011, 19:04
Here's the link to the Cabela's tent: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents/View-All-Tents%7C/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/105517980/Cabelas-XPG8482-Ultralight-Tent/746705.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/camping-tents-view-all-tents/_/N-1102375&WTz_l=Unknown;cat105517980

Buzz Saw
01-06-2011, 19:10
I looked at the Eurekas and opted for the spitfire works very well can even get my pack in with me. Also have Casper bag very warm and packs as small as any synthetic. Will use bag until warm weather sets in, but tent will go all the way with me this year.

Spokes
01-06-2011, 19:19
Here's the link to the Cabela's tent: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents/View-All-Tents%7C/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/105517980/Cabelas-XPG8482-Ultralight-Tent/746705.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/camping-tents-view-all-tents/_/N-1102375&WTz_l=Unknown;cat105517980

3 lbs 7 oz...... ultralight???? YIKES!!!

Tinker
01-06-2011, 19:32
She didn't ask for ultralight.:)

Sierra Echo
01-06-2011, 19:38
I plan on thru hiking Ga in May which should be warmer. But I was thinking about going to the thing at NOC next weekend. I'm not rich so I was looking for things in my price range. There are so many options and I just don't know whats right and its all very confusing!!! :eek:

I can pile on extra clothes at NOC if I go, so really cold weather doesnt have to be a consideration. it doesnt get THAT cold around here!

jesse
01-06-2011, 19:45
I ordered stuff from Cabalas online this Christmas. Good service.

brotheral
01-06-2011, 19:48

Looks like your avatar is wearing some ultralight clothing...

Rocket Jones
01-06-2011, 19:51
Seriously, look at the Campmor link. A lot of people think highly of that bag, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Tinker
01-06-2011, 19:52
I plan on thru hiking Ga in May which should be warmer. But I was thinking about going to the thing at NOC next weekend. I'm not rich so I was looking for things in my price range. There are so many options and I just don't know whats right and its all very confusing!!! :eek:

I can pile on extra clothes at NOC if I go, so really cold weather doesnt have to be a consideration. it doesnt get THAT cold around here!

So this gear is for a section hike (Georgia) in May?
It shouldn't be cold at all then. I doubt you'd see a night below freezing.
I would second the Campmor bags. I haven't used one, but I've seen them and they are well made, but not the lightest materials. Get a down bag and you'll have it for life unless you store it in its stuff sack, burn it, or get a gaping hole that lets the down out. Lone Wolf likes them (I guess he has one :confused:).

brotheral
01-06-2011, 20:22
I ordered stuff from Cabalas online this Christmas. Good service.

2nd that..:sun

Half Note
01-07-2011, 09:37
I second the Solitaire too. So far it has done me well. I do recommend getting a footprint though because the bottom is awfully thin. The tent packs well. I put mine in a dry sack and put my poles/stakes on the side of my pack. As Tennessee mentioned it is kind of close quarters but as I am a small dude, it works out for me. I'm a fan of the price :-)

skinewmexico
01-07-2011, 12:22
now what do you think about this sleeping bag??

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-30-MidSize-Mummy-Sleeping-Bag/product/10205213/-1658411

I think it weighs more than my pack, tent and sleeping bag combined. And being synthetic, it will probably be a 50 degree bag in a year of so. Like others have mentioned, spend a little more (Campmor down) up front, you'll be glad you did. In May, I'd think a $7 Walmart bag, or fleece blanket would be enough.

Jim Adams
01-08-2011, 00:41
you can scrimp on your pack, your tent,your shoes, your clothing if you want to...the cheap stuff will either be heavy or not last long BUT it will work. OTOH, I would never scrimp on your sleeping bag...you can't hilke well if you don't sleep well and you may have to call on it to keep you alive in a bad situation.
May can be cold in Georgia at elevation...I was on Blood once in April when it was snowing and my temp reading from my watch was 6*F.

Campmor 20* down is a steal as is the Kelty Lightyear fs here on WB. $80

geek

bigcranky
01-08-2011, 10:53
If you go to the SORUCK next weekend you can stay in the Basecamp (bunkrooms) for around $15 per night. You don't need to camp (and there's no legal camping near Basecamp anyway.)

You are getting VERY good advice here on your sleeping bag choice.

Sierra Echo
01-08-2011, 14:27
If you go to the SORUCK next weekend you can stay in the Basecamp (bunkrooms) for around $15 per night. You don't need to camp (and there's no legal camping near Basecamp anyway.)

You are getting VERY good advice here on your sleeping bag choice.

im planning on staying at the little hotel

Awol1970
01-08-2011, 17:36
Hey S.E. You are also about twenty minutes from REI. I'd go down there and try a bunch out and kind of get a feel for what you like. Like lie down in 'em and maybe take a little nap and S*#@

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 17:44
If you need BPS help, let me know. My fiance' works there, 40% off on most stuff.

gunner76
01-08-2011, 18:28
Go to hammockforums.net and check out some the DIY Top Quilt sytems that you can get and by making it your self, you can save some $$$

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2011, 18:42

In that case click again on the Eureka tent and then click on the Spitfire, One of the crappy moments was not being able to sit up to get my pants on in a down pour, perticularly if you are in mixed company. The Spitfire has a few more ounces but provides more freedom.

Spokes
01-08-2011, 19:12

She didn't ask for ultralight.:)

Didn't ask for a boat anchor either........... heheheheeee.

divr6347
01-08-2011, 22:54
don t know what your budget is but if youare looking for a descent budget bag a couple come to mind

the kelty cosmic down 20 deg is pretty descent

the mountain hardwear pinole 20 is a little heavy but price is ok

you might check out sunnysports.com for a good selection of bags at good prices i think they carry both of the bags mentioned

if budget is a little more i would say go to a north face cats meaow or mountain hardwear lamina 20 those are both great three season bags

divr6347

300winmag
01-11-2011, 16:50
I have a TarpTent Moment and feel, after owning 2 other solo tents, that it is one of the best of perhaps three solo three season tents now on the market.

ERic B.

Sierra Echo
01-18-2011, 23:06
I'm still looking at the this bag:

But now i have a major question. It says it has goose down in it. Is that the same thing as feathers? I'm allergic to feather filled pillows. :eek::confused:

bigcranky
01-19-2011, 18:23
I'm still looking at the this bag:

But now i have a major question. It says it has goose down in it. Is that the same thing as feathers? I'm allergic to feather filled pillows. :eek::confused:

Well, sort of, yes. Goose down is actually the stuff below the feathers on a goose, but they are the same stuff chemically. And this bag will have some feathers in it along with the down.

That said, you may be allergic to something in the pillow other than the down or the feathers.

Sierra Echo
03-05-2011, 22:42
I think I have found the perfect tent!!! What do yall think???

http://www.rei.com/product/810036

q-tip
03-18-2011, 14:06
used it for 1,000 mi on the AT Aug-Sept 2010. Best AT tent I have found. Just my thoughts.

DarkBunny
03-21-2011, 21:10
That looks cool, The North Face mica 12 is about the same size and weight

Ladytrekker
03-21-2011, 21:25
I honestly would rethink the solitare. You cannot sit up in it. I use my tent as my home away from home I can sit up, change clothes, clean myself up in it and sit up and write in your journal, etc. It can be a long night in bad weather if you can only lie down.

Eureka Spitfire is only about 40 more than the solitare and it will allow you to move around more in it. You can sit up and your pack should fit if money is the main factor. I do trust Eureka in rain. I personally have a SD Clip flashlight 2. But am seriously considering the tarpent moment.

You should take a good look at the Campmor sleeping bag very good deal for a down pack and they are so much warmer.

If you order from Campmor they are very quick and Campsaver is too and they have no sales tax because they are located in Utah. Most of them if over 100 no shipping cost.

Call them and tell them you need it asap.

Good Luck on your endeavors and I hope it all works out well.

FishBone
03-22-2011, 08:08
PM sent on FS: TarpTent Rainbow

300winmag
05-27-2011, 00:24
It's very hard to beat a TerpTent Moment solo tent. U.S. made and fantastic quality and design.

Old Boots
05-27-2011, 00:38
REI Quarterdome T1 is $199.00 and is highly rated. I think it is 2# 13 ozs.

Franco
05-28-2011, 05:08
"It says it has goose down in it. Is that the same thing as feathers? I'm allergic to feather filled pillows"

Most people that say they are allergic to feathers and or down are actually allergic to the "dust" attached to it.
Generally speaking down is cleaned, during manufacturing of high end sleeping bags , to a higher standard than 'comforters' and home type down quilts from discount stores.
Franco

Sierra Echo
05-28-2011, 07:56
All of a sudden I have been getting a lot of PMs from people trying to
sell me tents! LOL
I bought a MSR Hubba back in March, but thank you for your offers.

cabbagehead
03-05-2012, 14:21
I had a Eureka Solitaire, and every single pole segment broke. If you like this tent, get the Canadian version. It has 7000 series aluminum poles, and a few other differences. The poles from the Canadian version can easily be made to work with the American version. Also, if you get the Canadian version, use the seamseal, and spray it with waterproofer.

The only thing I don't like about both versions is that there is no vestibule. I wouldn't want a large vestibule. I just want a place to store my shoes next to my tent without getting too much dirt in my tent.