PDA

View Full Version : Silnylon repair

GolfHiker
12-24-2004, 15:28
This may be a stupid question, but has anyone attempted to repair a hole in a silnylon tent. It's a very, very small hole, not in the main tent body, but rather over the vestibule, outside the zipped entrance. It's an awkward spot. I don't know whether I should patch ( some type of glue on the patch?) or sew the hole. If sewing, is there a special type of thread... I plan to practice on some silnylon before doing the actual tent. Any help would be most appreciated. By the way, I have no sewing skills at all!:rolleyes:

neo
12-24-2004, 15:32
I HAVE A EQUINOX KATAHDIN PACK,I DROPPED IT AND IT ROLLED DOWN A MOUNTAIN,IT HAD A 3/4 INCH TEAR IN IT,I PATCHED IT WITH SILACONE SEAM SEALER AND A PIECE OF SILNYLON,IT WORKED GREAT:sun NEO

GolfHiker
12-24-2004, 15:39
Neo: Thanks... I did try that earlier, without much luck. I'll try again. Did you just cut a small piece of sn for a patch & put it on one side or did you patch both sides. Do I make sense? :-?

neo
12-25-2004, 06:07
i put a patch on both sides,after it dried i rubbed a lite film of sinylon sealer over each patch for durability,look great,my pack is black,not very noticable:sun neo

orangebug
12-25-2004, 11:33
Ditto. Small hole in a Wanderlust Nomad tent. Silicon caulk/sealant on both sides of the hole, small patches cut from extra material from the tent's bag, smoothed and sealed over the patches with more caulk/sealant. Never has leaked.

Drala Hiker
12-25-2004, 14:41
Great ideas from Neo and Orange. Clean the area to be sealed with alcohol first. That will help the silicone sealer stick. Note there are also silicone sealers with an adhesive that are strong and pliable. However, it takes about 24 hours to dry. Such sealer adhesives are widely used in the marine boating environment, and often sold in hardware stores as Plumbers Sealant.