PDA

View Full Version : Good ankle brace for hiking

alverhootzt
01-06-2011, 18:35
I've searched on this a bit, but still can't decide. I have chronically weak ankles and had more sprains than I can count. Went to a medical supply store today and all they only carried lace-ups. Which offer more support? Which are more comfortable? Which are more durable/suitable to hiking?

Aircasts? Rigid hinged? Lace-ups? Any ideas?

Elder
01-06-2011, 19:42
I really prefered the tan cloth lace ups before my ankles got stronger. I also use quality insoles, where stability starts..
Much more comfortable, and adjustable, than neoprene.
Aircasts are for currnet injuries.
Good luck.

maybe clem
01-06-2011, 20:10
I have hypermobile ankles from too many sprains. I wear Aircasts when I hike. They have saved me from many a sprain and kept me hiking for years. The sides of the heel pads wear out quickly so I keep a few extras in my pack. They don't weigh anything.

I've also found the hard plastic edges do a number on the shoe interior. All the rubbing wears away the lining and padding around the ankle. What I do is tape the shoes with duct tape around the inside of the shoe where the plastic rubs against it. That prevents the problem. The shoes wear out before the duct tape does.

Blissful
01-06-2011, 20:34
I've searched on this a bit, but still can't decide. I have chronically weak ankles and had more sprains than I can count. Went to a medical supply store today and all they only carried lace-ups. Which offer more support? Which are more comfortable? Which are more durable/suitable to hiking?

Aircasts? Rigid hinged? Lace-ups? Any ideas?

Sounds like you were not properly rehabilitated. Use a wobble board (can get it from Dicks) and strengthen your ankles that way. And exercises. Don't rely on braces if you can help it. I have had multiple sprains ( some quite severe) and did not use a brace but trail runners. I would also check with a sports md if needed.

alverhootzt
01-07-2011, 13:46
I have hypermobile ankles from too many sprains. I wear Aircasts when I hike. They have saved me from many a sprain and kept me hiking for years. The sides of the heel pads wear out quickly so I keep a few extras in my pack. They don't weigh anything.

Ever had to worry about the air cushion being punctured or anything?

Sounds like you were not properly rehabilitated.

Yeah, I've only recently realized this - that there are exercises to strengthen after a sprain. I'm currently "writing the alphabet" with my toes, but I think I may start out with a brace. Thanks for feedback.