PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Etrex Vista

The Cleaner
01-06-2011, 21:01
I just got from a friend ,at no cost,the Garmin Etrex Vista.It's been used very little and looks good as new.I did not get any cables or any thing else.I downloaded the owners manual and the unit does power up and will leave a track as I walk.Although they no longer sell this unit can I buy the needed cords and load maps onto it?I think I need 2 cords to be able to upload maps.What I'm asking is it worth my time to do this,and save buying a new unit?The needed cables cost less than 50$.Or is this model too outdated to try and update it's software&maps?I like the features it has and I could use this one for "practice" and then buy a new unit later if I can use this one without getting a degree in Navigation.:-?

psyculman
01-07-2011, 07:37
I love the Vista.

It only needs 1 usb cable to connect to your PC, which usb may or may not be 'Garmin' specific. (not sure about that) But without installing the Garmin software on your PC, it will have very limited capability. The PC connection and software is immensly useful! The e-trex is the best (and only) piece of techno-gear for me. It took a while to effectivly use all it's features. But it all instantly worked the first time. The "Map Source" feature is great! If you can't get the software, pm me and I can send you a copy of mine, in the mail, but, I'm not sure my "copy" will install for you, it might need registration information specific to the unit you have.

Hope this helps

A good source of help is here:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

10-K
01-07-2011, 07:57
Robert, first a disclaimer: I'm just learning how to use my GPS so I could be all wrong....

Which eTrex is it? There are older ones I believe that take a proprietary serial cable and newer ones that take a USB cable that you can get off the shelf.

In any case, for $50 if you could get the cables it'd be fun to play with. I've got a newer eTrex Vista Hcx (but it's not new-new, it's been out a few years) and I'm just getting familiar with it. I've also got an old Magellan Explorist and the Garmin is about oh... about 10,000 times more useful.

Though the Magellan is much easier to use because it has so many fewer features.. If I was just worried about finding my way back to where I started they'd both do fine.

The catch is going to be memory - how much you have internally and how much you can add in the way of external memory.

Either way you got a good deal. :)

Buzz Saw
01-07-2011, 08:37
My first GPS was a Magellan I had a problem with it and sent it back for repairs. They were unable to fix it and were making me an offer on a new one. Well the one they wanted to sell me was one of the discontinued models and I wrote them wanting to upgrade to a better model. About two weeks went by and I received a package for them, it contained my broken GPS. I guess they wanted me to help them get ride of excess stock or nothing. I now own 3 Garmins. My Etrex Legend just uses standard usb. Have fun.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-07-2011, 08:46
My first GPS was a Magellan I had a problem with it and sent it back for repairs. They were unable to fix it and were making me an offer on a new one. Well the one they wanted to sell me was one of the discontinued models and I wrote them wanting to upgrade to a better model. About two weeks went by and I received a package for them, it contained my broken GPS. I guess they wanted me to help them get ride of excess stock or nothing. I now own 3 Garmins. My Etrex Legend just uses standard usb. Have fun.

My first GPS was a Magellan Trailblazer bought years ago I think when they were first available for civilian use and it was a $400 piece of junk..I now have a Garmin Rino 120 and it's a great piece of gear. My Magellan couldn't find the toilet from the rest room door.

Sly
01-07-2011, 09:09
I just got from a friend ,at no cost,the Garmin Etrex Vista.It's been used very little and looks good as new.I did not get any cables or any thing else.I downloaded the owners manual and the unit does power up and will leave a track as I walk.Although they no longer sell this unit can I buy the needed cords and load maps onto it?I think I need 2 cords to be able to upload maps.What I'm asking is it worth my time to do this,and save buying a new unit?The needed cables cost less than 50$.Or is this model too outdated to try and update it's software&maps?I like the features it has and I could use this one for "practice" and then buy a new unit later if I can use this one without getting a degree in Navigation.:-?

You should only need one cord, from PC to GPS. If it's the older model with the "blue" screen you probably need the proprietary cable.

If it's older, but color, it probably has 24MB of memory which will hold nearly all the Mapsource Topo maps that you'll need for the AT. The cables for the newer/older and newer models are your standard USB that fit most devices.

Here's one of the old style cables on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-SINGLE-Data-CABLE-GARMIN-eTrex-Legend-Vista-GPS-/300482183038?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f6223f7e

If you can get the software from psyculman it will be worth it.

The Cleaner
01-07-2011, 09:38
Hey thanks for the replys...1st the unit I have has a propietary(?) connection ,4 gold dots,that requires a "serial port connection". I don't think my laptop has so I need 1-cord from unit> serial port 2 serial port>USB cord.There are several choices on Amaz. but I'm not sure which to buy.Next issue I have downloaded the following data programs from free sites:tntopo install,Mapsource6163,trainingcenter353 and Webupdater.Will these work to get me started or do I need a disk like the one which came w/ my Canon Powershot.As for storage the Vista is limited to 24MB of internal memory ONLY.This is probably why they discontinued this model.I don't really need a lot of MB storage,just like to get some local area maps and also learn how to load waypoints from other hikers.Since my PC skills are limited doing things is hard because it takes only one word,which I don't understand,to slow things down. I really neeed to have someone in the room with me to figure this out.I own an iphone and got that up&running but the GPS is another ball of wax,maybe.I really like the features the Vista has and even with limited map storage I think I could put it to use.But I need to know which program to start with.:confused:Thanks for all your help.:sun

The Cleaner
01-07-2011, 10:07
Thanks for the link ,Sly, I just bought the cord from E-bay which saved me several $$:).Now to figure out where to start when it gets here.Since I'm "technically challenged":eek: getting the Vista going may take some doing.There are calling for 10"+ snow in the mtns here so I'll be staying close to the woodstove here .I have a new Panasonic 32" tv w/ipod dock arriving today so that should give me something to do till the Vista cord comes.I'll probably end up going to Erwin and looking up 10-K for some facetime which will save a ton of keystrokes:D

Sly
01-07-2011, 10:10
Hey thanks for the replys...1st the unit I have has a propietary(?) connection ,4 gold dots,that requires a "serial port connection". I don't think my laptop has so I need 1-cord from unit> serial port 2 serial port>USB cord..

Check the cable I posted above from Ebay. You'll only need the one and it has the CD with the proper drivers. Or before you use the CD just plug in your GPS with cable and let Windows find the drivers.

Once you get it hooked to your PC you can use a program like Easy GPS but if you want to use maps you need a Garmin program.

The Cleaner
01-07-2011, 10:17
Need to add this info.I checked and the software version is 2.12.I think this is what it came with and is very old&outdated.Is updating this similar to updating the iphone?With the snow falling and a sleeping bag to repair I've got plenty to do with a little help from my WB friends.:cool:

Toolshed
01-07-2011, 10:20
Cleaner - My first was the same Etrex Vista- Grayscreen. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I learned and awful lot with it. I used it for biking, mowing the lawn (I really wanted to see the distance 4.5 acres requires to mow - pretty cool to load up into Google Earth), hiking, fishing (IIRC it has the fishing lunar tables). I have since graduated to the GPSMap76CSX as my eyesight diminished with age (reading glasses), but I really liked the Vista. I think you have a fine device there.

Sly
01-07-2011, 10:27
Need to add this info.I checked and the software version is 2.12.I think this is what it came with and is very old&outdated.Is updating this similar to updating the iphone?With the snow falling and a sleeping bag to repair I've got plenty to do with a little help from my WB friends.:cool:

You'll need to wait to get the cable, install the software etc. Garmin will tell you if you need any updates for the software or GPS and do it once you agree.

Sly
01-07-2011, 10:33
The Cleaner, you should come to the Southern Ruck next weekend. I'll show you the basics. I have the Legend C which is only slightly newer than your GPS. Bring the cable if you get it in time.

The Cleaner
01-07-2011, 10:46
The Cleaner, you should come to the Southern Ruck next weekend. I'll show you the basics. I have the Legend C which is only slightly newer than your GPS. Bring the cable if you get it in time.
What&where is Southern Ruck?....Is it anything like the "Volunteer Jam w/charlie Daniels lol...

Sly
01-07-2011, 11:04
What&where is Southern Ruck?....Is it anything like the "Volunteer Jam w/charlie Daniels lol...

We have an occasional jam but our guitarist are better looking.

http://www.soruck.net/

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2011, 11:22
Download Mapsource http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

take a cable from your digital camera - connect

play around a lot.

The update is unnecessary, - Register the Garmin with the company - if after registering and the Garmin is connected the software will "discover" if it really needs updating.

10-K
01-07-2011, 11:30

play around a lot.

The update is unnecessary, - Register the Garmin with the company - if after registering and the Garmin is connected the software will "discover" if it really needs updating.

Do you know what the difference between Mapsource and Basecamp is?

Sly
01-07-2011, 11:34

play around a lot.

You need the software installed before you can do that download, And we've already established he needs the proprietary cable.

Notes:

WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.
This version of MapSource no longer supports Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, or Windows 2000. MapSource now requires Windows XP with Service Pack 3 or higher.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2011, 11:37
BaseCamp

BaseCamp is to the outdoors world as MapSource is to street navigation. Users will be able to browse topo maps, tracklogs, waypoints, and plan trips for their handheld Garmin devices through the software which will be compatible with both Macs and PCs.

“BaseCamp brings a whole new set of features to hikers, hunters, geocachers, and anyone else who wants to maximize their experience with their Garmin GPS,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “This new utility lets users view, organize, and transfer their data more quickly and efficiently – allowing them to make the most of their time exploring the great outdoors.”
Perhaps taking direct aim at DeLorme’s Topo USA program, BaseCamp will allow users to view topo maps in 2D as well as 3D views as well as changing the map orientation from the old method that was locked in North up.
Also noteworthy, Garmin mentions the software will be compatible with “TOPO U.S. 24K DVD”, a product which to date has only been available for certain states.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2011, 11:39
Ahh Sly, you are right I am on XP and I have an older unsupported version.
Great Stuff though...

I don't have my vista anymore but I remember using my camera cable.

Sly
01-07-2011, 11:43
Ahh Sly, you are right I am on XP and I have an older unsupported version.
Great Stuff though...

It's OK, I'm going to hook him up with Mapsource United States Topo v3.02 Once he installs and clicks update he should be directed to the version his computer can handle. Also, it should recognize and update the GPS if it needs it.