PDA

View Full Version : Cycle camping forums

Bags4266
01-06-2011, 21:04
After I complete the AT I plan to bicycle across the US on the Transamerica trail. I will be doing a lot of camping as well.
I know there are a lot of cycle rs here and am wondering if there are any good active forums on this subject? Thanks

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2011, 21:21
Maps and such http://www.adventurecycling.org/whoweare/history.cfm

Many bike forums, with topics in touring, but most center around road racing and mountain biking, as touring isn't too popular amoung cyclists.

This website is an exception to the rule http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

Bags4266
01-06-2011, 21:32
Thanks have them, Adventure is where I plan to buy my maps and is a good forum. Crazy guy is ok just not enough action, great journals though that I've been reading.

10-K
01-06-2011, 21:37
Check with Spokes here on WB. He cycled the Transamerica trail and wrote a great journal - it's at crazyguyonabike.com.

erichkopp
01-06-2011, 22:51
Bike Forums has a touring section that a lot of knowledgeable people post in. http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/47-Touring It seems like there's definitely a lack of bike touring websites, and nothing that compares to WhiteBlaze.

Bags4266
01-06-2011, 23:04
Thanks all, just thought I was missing something. I would think there are more cyclists than backpackers, yet there is more activity on WB than on cycle forums. Strange

garlic08
01-06-2011, 23:28
There are WAY more hikers on the AT every season than there are bicycle tourists on the TransAmerica trail. I often ponder why. I think it's because long-distance hiking is a little easier, cheaper, and probably safer than bike touring. Maybe we cyclists should try to get Bill Bryson on a bike.

garbanz
01-06-2011, 23:30
Better yet coax him to write a decent book on hiking.

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2011, 09:13
There are WAY more hikers on the AT every season than there are bicycle tourists on the TransAmerica trail. I often ponder why. I think it's because long-distance hiking is a little easier, cheaper, and probably safer than bike touring. Maybe we cyclists should try to get Bill Bryson on a bike.
This is true the hiking community is bigger than the cycling. And When you're talking cycling community the vast majority are either Lance-wannabe road racers or mountain bikers. And then you got them outcasts...the commuters and tourers. We just aren't the "serious" cyclists by their judgement.

FishBone
01-07-2011, 09:22
http://www.bikepacking.net/

Good site for UL biking; mostly off-road, but useful info. Not sure how active the forum is.

Green
01-07-2011, 19:46
Thanks for all the great links, currently im trying to decide if want to try a thuhike of the AT or ride the TransAmerican trail. Got in about 4500 miles of biking last year, so its going to be a toss up. Did a two week stint of living off the bike and it was pretty amazing.

I think another reason that long distance hiking is easier is there is less trouble if something (gear wise) breaks. If something on your bike breaks, you are just SOL unless you have the tools and the knowledge to repair it, and if you dont you are walking your bike (or hoping for a ride) until you find someone who can fix it. There really isnt a lot of stuff that can break and not be fixable (or jury rigged) on some of these long distance hikes as ive seen.

DuctTape
01-07-2011, 20:10
I rode the TransAm in 2006, there's a rather detailed journal about it on my site. All the links that came to mind when I saw this topic have already been mentioned.

The maps from Adventure Cycling provide great information on camping along the way. Many of the small towns allow cyclists to camp in their town parks for free. Bet you've never slept in baseball dugout before.

I've always considered touring to be easier than long distance hiking, for the simple reason that you're always "in town," or at least always within a few hours of most conveniences. The flat tires and mechanical trouble can really be a pain, but I think the easy access to civilization and mobility of having wheels more than makes up for it.

humunuku
01-10-2011, 18:12
Anyone have an estimate on cost per mile or cost per day to ride across the country? most people I've talked to spend WAY more than a thru hike would... I may ride across the states next year, but really can't afford to spend a lot

Bags4266
01-10-2011, 18:17
I have been reading the Journals over at Crazy guy on a bike and while people do camp at local parks they sure do many nights at motels and hostels. And they seem to eat in all the towns. Could be very expensive. Not to mention a decent touring bike with front and rear panniers. I'm thinking ballpark 5-6K with 2K for the bike. I'm sure it could be done for less and obviuosly more.

leaftye
01-10-2011, 18:25

It totally makes sense to me. For the reasons you said, plus...

Fat people can hike. Fat people on a bike? They look silly, and it hurts like hell.

I hate sharing the road with vehicles. It's scary, especially if you come across a malicious driver.

That said, I'd love to do a long distance bike tour.

Pedaling Fool
01-10-2011, 18:46
Anyone have an estimate on cost per mile or cost per day to ride across the country? most people I've talked to spend WAY more than a thru hike would... I may ride across the states next year, but really can't afford to spend a lot
I never really tallied up my costs, so I don't have an estimate for the cost of any of my hiking or biking trips. However, WRT cycling trips people tend to spend more money because they are always in a town (usually several per day) so they succumb to the temptation. Same would be true for hikers if they went through a town or two everyday. Cyclists could save a lot of money with a little will power. And they do spend a lot of time in motels. I don't and I also don't look for campgroungs, I simply stealth camp.

Although, on the flip side... to travel across the U.S. is roughly twice the distance of the AT, give or take... However, a 90-day tour is a leisurely pace, because it's so easy to do 4-5 times (or more) the distace per day of a hiker. And everyone knows a 90-day TH is anything but a walk in the park.

stumpknocker
01-10-2011, 19:45

Nah Garlic....you're wrong. The TransAm is probably three times easier than a thru hike on the AT. I've done all three of the cross country bike routes (Northern Tier, Trans Am and Southern Tier) and the Trans Am was the hardest of the three, but still WAY easier than a thru hike.

For the original question, I used Adventure Cycling and Phreds.org mostly in my planning. http://www.phred.org/mailman/listinfo/touring Phreds list is a great place to have any questions answered by other tourers.

CrazyGuyOnABike is a good source to read other journals for the Trail you want to do.

DuctTape
01-10-2011, 20:25
I spent about three grand on the road in three months. That doesn't include the cost of the bike/gear before the trip. Could have done it for a lot less, but... pancakes and coffee in a local cafe every morning is nearly impossible to resist.

Spokes
01-10-2011, 21:47
I agree with John Gault and DuctTape- spend the money on the Adventure Cycling maps and explore the crazyguyonabike.com website. Both are excellent resources with a nice community of people to help you have a successful trip.

I rode the TransAm westbound in 2008 and ended in Astoria, OR. Had a blast, met good people, and made some solid friendships. My journal can be found HERE (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ibikefar) if your interested. PM me if you ever have any questions.

Oh, almost forgot....another website is warmshowers.org (http://www.warmshowers.org/). It's a hospitality site for touring cyclists that lists individuals willing to host you when you ride through their town. Some folks may offer you a place to stay, do laundry, or use the internet. Cool! It's a well moderated site that you have to pre-register with (keeps the riff-raff at a minimum). I used it on my tour and always tried to call ahead giving the hosts a couple days notice as a courtesy. Check it out.

Cheers!