PDA

View Full Version : Troutdale?

Torch09
01-07-2011, 01:57
My 2009 "Thru Hiker's Handbook" lists a post office and 'Jerry's Kitchen and Goods' as mail drop locations. My new "AT Guide" dosen't mention a post office in Troutdale or give information about Jerry's Kitchen accepting packages. Is this simply an exclusion of information or do these services no longer exisit?

Sly
01-07-2011, 02:13
Here's the data that will be in the 2011 Companion...

Va. 650 & Va. 16/Dickey Gap—East 2.6 miles to Troutdale, Va. [P.O. ZIP 24378: M–F 8:15–12 & 1–4:30, Sa 8:15–11:30; (276) 677-3221]

Groceries: Jerry’s Kitchen & Goods, 2.0 miles east (compass southwest) on Va. 16, (276) 677-3010, <[email protected]>, Su–Th 7–7, F-Sa 7–8, short-term resupply, fuel (white gas, alcohol, Heet, butane/propane mix), dogs allowed, free Internet, WiFi, free shuttle to Fox Creek and Dickey Gap; also houses a restaurant serving B/L/D that closes around 7 p.m.; mail drops accepted (USPS, UPS) if sent to 10973 Troutdale Hwy., Troutdale, VA 24378

Torch09
01-07-2011, 06:06
Thanks. Maybe I should consider taking all three guides...

10-K
01-07-2011, 07:03
I'd suggest always calling any place you plan to send a maildrop beforehand no matter what the guidebook says.

Sly
01-07-2011, 08:40
Thanks. Maybe I should consider taking all three guides...

I really wouldn't bother with the 2009 guide.

The Companion had 100's of updates for 2011. It seemed like everyone was adding, deleting info. Lots of new places opened and old places closed.

As 10-K says it's always best to call before you actually mail your package.

garbanz
01-07-2011, 09:33
Ditto the above comments. Im planning maildrops too. Phoned the waitress at Jerry's yesterday. They do maildrops and are hiker friendly. Im referencing the 2010 AT Guide until the new one arrives (soon). I thought it was a wealth of information when I first glanced thru it. However Jerrys wasnt mentioned, the mentioned outfitter in Port Clinton has been closed for a long time and the address and phone number given for the Port Clinton Post Office is actually that of the Ft Mongomery Post Office. Like 10-k said Im going to call to verify maildrops. And I was thinking of also purchasing the Companion to make additional notes in the guide.

Roots
01-07-2011, 09:41
My 2009 "Thru Hiker's Handbook" lists a post office and 'Jerry's Kitchen and Goods' as mail drop locations. My new "AT Guide" dosen't mention a post office in Troutdale or give information about Jerry's Kitchen accepting packages. Is this simply an exclusion of information or do these services no longer exisit?

Jerry is a very nice guy!!! He is trying to keep a good supply in his little store by asking hikers what they need. He also has a great place to eat. I would suggest a stop there. Last year he had signs posted the closer you got to Dickey Gap. And there is a listing of Jerry's place in the AT Guide on page 52. Good luck!:sun

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2011, 13:00
I did this section in October and the folks at the market in Troutdale were great; I look forward to seeing them again this year.

Rain Man
01-07-2011, 13:10
Jerry is a very nice guy!!! He is trying to keep a good supply in his little store by asking hikers what they need. He also has a great place to eat. I would suggest a stop there.

I'll "DITTO" those comments. My family and I did a section hike Thanksgiving a year ago, ending one night at Dickey Gap. The kids walked down to Jerry's Store from Dickey Gap (a couple of miles or more?). When my daughter asked about arranging a pick-up for her mom and me back at Dickey Gap, Jerry handed her the keys to his vehicle.

We ate a great meal there that night, before hitting the highway. Jerry and his folks were nice as could be and he mentioned accepting packages and offering shuttles to hikers.

Pics below show his place, me and him, and my family there for dinner.

Both my 2010 and my 2011 AT Guide (which came this week) list Jerry's Kitchen on page 52, with a reference cite at the Dickey Gap entry. You can also get to it from the Fox Creek/VA 603 trailhead. But you are correct, I don't see an icon for accepting mail. I definitely agree with those who said always to double-check before mailing a package anywhere along the AT. Those things change from time to time.

Rain:sunMan

Kermitt
01-07-2011, 13:20
I was there in 09 & he was so helpfull, he let us use his truck to go in town. We did rent it & put more gas in.

Serial 07
01-07-2011, 13:27
skip his location...

during my thru hike, me and 3 other hikers were thumbing at fox creek (the north end of the Highlands) trying to get back to damascus...JERRY, picked us up, asked us if we were hungry and suggested he take us to a restaurant before dropping us off in damascus...as starving hikers go, we said yes and got in his car...turns out he owns the restaurant that he took us to and it was in the exact OPPOSITE direction we were trying to go...to top it off, after we paid for his okay restaurant food, he shook us down for gas money back to damascus..we had to pay him $40!!!

jerry equals douche to me...sorry....

Lone Wolf
01-07-2011, 13:29
doh!:eek::D

the goat
01-07-2011, 13:58
skip his location...

during my thru hike, me and 3 other hikers were thumbing at fox creek (the north end of the Highlands) trying to get back to damascus...JERRY, picked us up, asked us if we were hungry and suggested he take us to a restaurant before dropping us off in damascus...as starving hikers go, we said yes and got in his car...turns out he owns the restaurant that he took us to and it was in the exact OPPOSITE direction we were trying to go...to top it off, after we paid for his okay restaurant food, he shook us down for gas money back to damascus..we had to pay him $40!!!

hahaha! sounds like a great scam!!

Awol2003
01-07-2011, 15:33
My mistake on the Troutdale PO. It has been omitted for 2 years in App Pages, and 2 years in The A.T. Guide, and no one's noticed.

Sly
01-07-2011, 15:40
skip his location...

Ah come on Serial, you don't think a 30 mile ride is worth $10? I'd paid that in a heartbeat to get a quick ride rather than hitching for hours.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2011, 17:21
Ah come on Serial, you don't think a 30 mile ride is worth $10? I'd paid that in a heartbeat to get a quick ride rather than hitching for hours.

it's 19 miles to damascus from fox creek. the dude said he would take them after eating in his restaurant. duh?

Sly
01-07-2011, 17:50
it's 19 miles to damascus from fox creek. the dude said he would take them after eating in his restaurant. duh?

40 miles round trip, $1 a mile, $.25 each. Better than sitting on the side of the road. Duh.

topshelf
01-07-2011, 18:11
What's sad for me is that I've been in here for dinner and lunch many times and I have never noticed any hiking/backpacking gear anywhere in the store. All I can ever remember is seeing some white gas one day and thinking that it seemed odd.

I can be oblivious at times, I never thought I was that oblivious though. But it has been about a year since I've been in there.

Serial 07
01-07-2011, 18:59
if i wanted to pay for a shuttle, i woulda set one up with sundog... :eek: ;)

that guy worked us over...it was getting dark and he knew he had us by the short and curlies... :eek: ;)

Sly
01-07-2011, 19:03
if i wanted to pay for a shuttle, i woulda set one up with sundog... :eek: ;)

that guy worked us over...it was getting dark and he knew he had us by the short and curlies... :eek: ;)

LOL... I'm sure you'll make it up.

Sly
01-07-2011, 19:06
What's sad for me is that I've been in here for dinner and lunch many times and I have never noticed any hiking/backpacking gear anywhere in the store. All I can ever remember is seeing some white gas one day and thinking that it seemed odd.

Why would you think they have gear? It's listed as short term resupply with fuel

topshelf
01-07-2011, 19:08
Yes, I know there isn't gear. I was refering to gear as anything hiking related.

Sly
01-07-2011, 19:11
Both my 2010 and my 2011 AT Guide

Rainman, I noticed on the Facebook AT Guide page you said the AT Guide was the only guide receptive to suggestions. Not for nothing, in the two years I've been editing the Companion, I've never received a suggestion from you.

If you ever have one, I'll do what I can do, but I can't make any promises. The email is in my sig.

Sly
01-07-2011, 19:15
Yes, I know there isn't gear. I was refering to gear as anything hiking related.

Yeah, OK. Short-term resupply usually means not much more than candy and snacks.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2011, 19:18
40 miles round trip, $1 a mile, $.25 each. Better than sitting on the side of the road. Duh.

yeah but dude said he GIVE them a ride after they ate. duh