PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Section Hike

nickjuliannect2011
01-07-2011, 09:10
Good Morning.
I'm a returning hiker that's been off the trail for a number of years... my family and I have just about completed a portion of the AT in Maryland (dayhikes)... my wife and I would like to step it up a notch and do some section hiking without the kids...I did AT dayhikes in CT 25 years ago... any feedback to for newbies looking a doing a weeklong AT backpacking vacation? I think CT would be a good starting point...:confused:

johnnyblisters
01-07-2011, 09:27
CT/MA is a great area to start back up. You have a week, eh? I would hike NOBO from Kent CT to Jugg End Rd. in MA. Around 50+ miles, great terrain, views, water, towns, ahhh I love that section! When are you planning on leaving?

Migrating Bird
01-07-2011, 09:41
Great area to hike. If I have no schedule conflicts, I may be able to help with a shuttle. PM me. I live near the AT and often hike this section.

M. Bird

nickjuliannect2011
01-07-2011, 10:04
thanks for the notes... I don't know when we'll go, but most likely after school's out... and luckily relatives in the area will be providing shuttle service

Ender
01-07-2011, 11:40
For a week, you could just do the whole of the trail in CT. Start at the CT/NY border, and hike north to the CT/MA border. It's a really nice section, really easy in parts, and really unexpectedly difficult in other parts. And some really good views up in the northern section. I've done this section a couple times, and really like it quite a lot. Finishing up at Sages Ravine just over the MA border is great too... it's a really pretty area. Overall, it's maybe 53 miles, plus a few more to get to a road near the end.

stretche
01-07-2011, 11:46
yea im planning to do a section hike of ct-mass. i don't now where im going to get off. I plan to do it during april vacation. but it should be a good place to start, its flat ish and there are supposed to be some good views at the begining and end but as far as mass idk.

Cookerhiker
01-07-2011, 12:38
The easiest and most difficult CT stretches are back-to-back! If you're hiking northbound after the very steep but fairly short descent down St. John's Ledges, your reward is the stroll along the Housatonic River.

CT and MA are both nice for your situation. Sages Ravine is a beautiful place to camp and Race Mountain is pretty with good views; although not as high as Everett, it's nicer IMO.

OldFeet
01-07-2011, 13:13
Another possibility is to start either in Pawling NY or at Hoyt Road. This would add a few miles to the Connecticut section but they're pretty easy miles. If you want to end your hike in Sages Ravine at the Mass border you can then turn around nd return on the Paradise Lane trail that connects with the Undermountain Trail bringing you back down to route 7.