PDA

View Full Version : Starting in May

SarahN
01-07-2011, 14:43
I'm starting a three month section hike in the middle of May. Originally planning on starting at Springer but don't want to be jipped out of the social aspect of hiking the AT. Where are most of the NOBO'ers at in mid-May?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2011, 14:44
around Damascus

attroll
01-07-2011, 14:54
Yes Damascus would be a good starting sport. If you time it right you could be there for Trail Days and leave after that.

FlyPaper
01-07-2011, 15:30
I'm starting a three month section hike in the middle of May. Originally planning on starting at Springer but don't want to be jipped out of the social aspect of hiking the AT. Where are most of the NOBO'ers at in mid-May?

One thing to consider, if you start around Damascus in mid May, you'll be joining with hikers that will be easily walking 20+ miles per day, while you'll not yet have your trail legs. Wherever you start, be prepared to be left in the dust for a while. That being said, you may want to start a bit in front of the crowd.

daddytwosticks
01-07-2011, 17:00
There will be some folks hiking from Springer north this time of year, just not a ton. I believe you'll still have some company. I almost always do hiking this section of trail in May. :)

Cookerhiker
01-07-2011, 18:35
While it may be true that most thruhikers are in Damascus mid-May, I know from my trail maintenance experience in Shenandoah NP that many thrus are well into VA by that timeframe. One year in mid-May, I set up camp at Lewis Mountain, SNP and met about 15 thruhikers in one day alone.

If you start at Rockfish Gap - the southermost point of SNP - and hike 1,000 miles (or more precisely, 1,028) in your 3 months, you'll reach the US Rt. 2 road crossing outside of Gorham, NH. This means you will have ended your hike with the spectacular White Mountains in mid-August, arguably the best time to hike there. You then save the last 297 miles from Rt. 2 to Gorham for a subsequent section hike - perhaps when you finish the whole trail after covering Springer to Rockfish Gap.

Starting at Rockfish Gap, you will be accompanied by - and share campsites with - thruhikers. And as was pointed out, others will be catching up to you so I don't think you're missing out on the social scene.

Blissful
01-07-2011, 20:08
The NOBos are in VA by storm. But they will be in much better shape, cruising it, and hanging out with their hiker buds that they know well.