PDA

View Full Version : Wish I read this before

JillJones
12-25-2004, 00:02
The nobler sort of man (or Woman) emphasizes the good qualities in others, and does not accentuate the bad. The inferior does.
- Confucius

Not one for Confucius, however, there is a time to try to find the best in so many situations and people. It's far too easy to find fault and jump on it, no matter how right one thinks they are. It takes effort to find solutions and work out problems between people. So I hope it will begin with me, and from this point I can work at finding the good... I hope the best for all here.

orangebug
12-25-2004, 00:06
Unfortunately, some seem only capable of adverse judgements of others and appear to revel in trolling. In those cases, it is best to ignore and move on to more positive experiences.

screwysquirrel
12-25-2004, 01:12
Unfortunately, some seem only capable of adverse judgements of others and appear to revel in trolling. In those cases, it is best to ignore and move on to more positive experiences.
Than you shouldn't be on cruising on this site, because it seems like this is the only life for some, it might be their only life and it's always someone who disturbs the karma of another. Also, I don't think that there's too many Noble ones who post here.

JillJones
12-25-2004, 10:49
Than you shouldn't be on cruising on this site, because it seems like this is the only life for some, it might be their only life and it's always someone who disturbs the karma of another. Also, I don't think that there's too many Noble ones who post here.This by far is one of the best sites to be cruising. For I’ve found the Noble ones far outnumber the truly disturbed. Like I said, it takes effort to find solutions and work out problems between people. But like the quote says. The inferior accentuate the bad… It doesn’t mean turning a blind eye to evil. And it doesn’t mean that we can’t express our feeling and thoughts. To me, it just means I make the choice of how I wish to deal with people. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I’ve done it the wrong way. Sometimes the best course of action is to find the ignore button. We are human, prone to mistakes, however we have the ability to accept the fact that we can be wrong. Make it right, apologize, and try to make every effort not to repeat our mistakes, and then move on.

Sure, there is pure evil in this world and must be dealt with and confronted accordingly. I will continue to do this but in a more intelligent and positive manner. I realize that anything, which anyone writes here, makes them a target for criticism. Hopefully it’s constructive criticism, which helps us to better others and ourselves and makes the trail and life a better place.

SGT Rock
12-25-2004, 11:32
Continue to dwell on the positive and ignore the trolls. You'll do fine around here. Hopefully the trolls will grow up some day.

Bloodroot
12-25-2004, 12:19
Throughout the short time on this site, I have generally found goodness in all the people. Some might be more critical than others, but who's to say? After all it is hard to judge emotion and character through text.

Bloodroot
12-25-2004, 12:20
Throughout my time on this site, I have generally found goodness in all the people. Some might be more critical and opinionated than others, but who's to say? After all it is hard to judge emotion and character through text.

Happy trails!

Bloodroot
12-25-2004, 12:24
Can I not delete or edit a post using the "Quick Reply" tab?

JillJones
12-25-2004, 12:25
Like I said, it takes effort to find solutions and work out problems between people. But like the quote says. The inferior accentuate the bad…
Just a quick clarification. In my last post, I put “The inferior accentuate the bad”… I’m optimistic no one, who has posted on this thread so far thinks I judge them to be inferior for their comments.

JillJones
12-25-2004, 12:31
Can I not delete or edit a post using the "Quick Reply" tab?
I'm not sure why this feature has been disabled here and also on some other threads. It would be nice to be able to edit my misspelled words, typo's and things I wish I had not said... Anyone know why?

neo
12-25-2004, 12:35
i love white blaze.net,medicine man turned me on to white blaze,met him at the big dig at the the cumberland trail,soddy daisy section last june.when this trail is complete it will bee303 miles from cumberland gap national park to signal point overlook.:sun neo

SGT Rock
12-25-2004, 12:55
I'm not sure why this feature has been disabled here and also on some other threads. It would be nice to be able to edit my misspelled words, typo's and things I wish I had not said... Anyone know why?

We had a situation where someone was trolling on the site. He would say some very disturbing things, then later after dozens of people would post - blasting him for stuff he said, he would change his posts to look like he said something totally innocent, so that everyone after him looked stupid. To prevent this from happening ATTroll took away the edit function.

Just FYI, we sort or prefer the way things work here. People may post some obviously cruel, stupid, or improper stuff, but we would rather leave such things up where ya'll can read them and then make a judgment yourself as to what sort a person someone is rather that ATTroll and I always deleting posts and banning folks then ya'll wonder what the big deal was all about since the "evidence" is gone. Sort of like the trail community, people have to live with what they say, so they need to think before they say things - and if someone is far enough out there, the people will let them know, not some all powerfull admins.

JillJones
12-25-2004, 13:13
Just FYI, we sort or prefer the way things work here. People may post some obviously cruel, stupid, or improper stuff, but we would rather leave such things up where ya'll can read them and then make a judgment yourself as to what sort a person someone is .
Makes sense and sure wish I knew that one also… :-) I have one other question that should also go over to the Help forum, however, how come some member’s names are in red?
Thanks

SGT Rock
12-25-2004, 13:15
The names that appear in red are the people that have signed up as the class of 2005 thru-hikers.

Pencil Pusher
12-29-2004, 02:34
We had a situation where someone was trolling on the site. He would say some very disturbing things, then later after dozens of people would post - blasting him for stuff he said, he would change his posts to look like he said something totally innocent, so that everyone after him looked stupid. To prevent this from happening ATTroll took away the edit function.

Just FYI, we sort or prefer the way things work here. People may post some obviously cruel, stupid, or improper stuff, but we would rather leave such things up where ya'll can read them and then make a judgment yourself as to what sort a person someone is rather that ATTroll and I always deleting posts and banning folks then ya'll wonder what the big deal was all about since the "evidence" is gone. Sort of like the trail community, people have to live with what they say, so they need to think before they say things - and if someone is far enough out there, the people will let them know, not some all powerfull admins.
Wow, look at that, I quoted you. Even if there was an edit button, you could not edit that without admin status. Novel concept, eh?

I think the lack of an edit button is/was a lousy idea.

Pooja Blue
12-29-2004, 03:17
Relating this to a thruhike, I was amazed to find so much negativity on the trail. Competitiveness, high-school-esque cliques, vicious gossip - it wasn't anything like I'd expected. I didn't realize how much it was affecting my hike until I was hiking alone on the second half of my flipflop in the fall and was out from underneath it. Not that there aren't wonderful people on the trail, there definitely are, but there are jerks everywhere. For some reason I naively believed there'd be more wonderful people and fewer jerks.

Alligator
12-29-2004, 11:13
Wow, look at that, I quoted you. Even if there was an edit button, you could not edit that without admin status. Novel concept, eh?

But it's a slippery slope. Who's to say the quote has not been altered in some way. If you don't put a reason for your edit, it doesn't show that it was edited.

I think the lack of an edit button is/was a lousy idea.Although I am inclined to agree with PP, who is an experienced internet tacticion and problem solver, there could be problems with the quote;) .

SGT Rock
12-29-2004, 11:19
Wow, look at that, I quoted you. Even if there was an edit button, you could not edit that without admin status. Novel concept, eh? Why no one could ever edit a quoted text and make it say something totally different than the original poster wrote. In fact they could NEVER and WOULD NEVER stoop to something so low. That would be totally unprofessional and no one that posts on this site ever acts like that....

I think the lack of an edit button is a great idea!

Have I made my point?

grandview
12-29-2004, 11:27
Have I made my point?
How do you spell that French sounding word, "touche" I believe?

Good one SGT.

Alligator
12-29-2004, 11:29
Us folks here on whiteblaze are true professionals. But posting in the twisted quote thread could be hazardous so I shall exit now.

grandview
12-29-2004, 11:30
//////////////////////////////////

Sand Crab
12-29-2004, 11:37
[QUOTE=JillJones][color=black][font=Times New Roman]....For I’ve found the Noble ones far outnumber the truly disturbed....

I agree. Sometimes it just seems like there are more negative people because they leave such a long lasting odor. Thank you for being a positive person. It is so much nicer to open a post and find something inspiring rather than something which gets my blood pressure boiling! Remember the saying "It is hard to fly with eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys". Keep on flapping Jill!

weary
12-29-2004, 11:49

I think the lack of an edit button is/was a lousy idea.
I agree, entirely. My fingers sometimes take over from my brain. When I catch them doing that I find it important to correct them immediately. It's something like training a dog. Discipline has to be immediate and firm.

Weary

saimyoji
12-29-2004, 14:28
Sometimes I actually re-reda wat I'v ritten beefor I clik the Submit buttin.:jump

Pencil Pusher
12-29-2004, 14:51
Have I made my point?
Yes, a good point. But a different point than the one to which I responded to: In the first example the basis was for a troll altering his posts, whereas in your second point to which I am now responding, the troll misquotes others.

That said, whether I disagree with it or not, I think it'd be easier to accept if the edit button was removed from all boards or whatever you call them here. As it is now, it's easy to nag you and Rick about this one area not having the edit button that is found all throughout the rest of the forums.

Why no one could ever edit a quoted text and make it say something totally different than the original poster wrote. In fact they could NEVER and WOULD NEVER stoop to something so low. That would be totally unprofessional and no one that posts on this site ever acts like that....

I think the lack of an edit button is a great idea!

Pencil Pusher
12-29-2004, 14:57
How do you spell that French sounding word, "touche" I believe?

Good one SGT.
And since misperceptions abound on the internet, I didn't take his reply as such. More I took it as him simply making a point or stating 'how it was'.

SGT Rock
12-29-2004, 15:07
Personally I am not opposed to giving back the edit function, just another button to me. I was more pointing out the fact that the quote button doesn't provide any adequate guarantee of a real quote since anyone can make one up:

An example would be me making a false post like this:

=====================================

The AT needs more cell phone towers. Lets face it, anywhere else in the US help is just a phone call away. It is absurd that we deny this much needed and easy to provide service to trail hikers. Sure the addition of a few to were would impact the view in a few places, but is that such a high price to save a few lives? THINK OFTHE CHILDREN!

Fall guy, if you are going to post such ridiculous statements, at least have the guts to stand behind them and not delete them. I am sure everyone on the board would agree this is a stupid position.

====================================

Anyway, you could insert anyone doing such a thing to anyone else.

Pencil Pusher
12-29-2004, 16:01
Speaking of the fall guy, have you ever wondered the long term benefits of being the six million dollar man dating the six million dollar woman?:banana

Pencil Pusher
12-29-2004, 20:26
Would you have a three million dollar kid if you impregnated another woman besides the six mil gal? It seems your subsequent generations would lose value, short of incest. How would you like to be known as the $6.27 man?