PDA

View Full Version : Naked trail running

John B
01-07-2011, 16:18
Pretty decent Nike video about their ultralight shoe, with runners going even lighter by running naked. :sun

http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikeplus/en_US/video_wall#?guid=e0e4c2ef-d14c-e28b-57ea-d23282bf3487_id1257

handlebar
01-08-2011, 11:30
Was approaching the James River and plodding up a steep hill when we heard, "Coming By!" called out from behind. When I turned to look there was a skinny guy running up hill with nothing beside his birthday suit except a small cap (presumably to cover private parts in the event of an embarrassing encounter) and running shoes. He said, "When I'm in nature, I like to be natural" as he zoomed by the four of us all standing with our jaws dropped. It was a topic of conversation for miles.:)

Egads
01-08-2011, 22:54
He would feel differently after encountering children or yellow jackets

Lemni Skate
01-09-2011, 07:44
Yeah, lot's of stuff in Virginia to scratch you up. I often regret deciding to wear shorts.

jdb
01-09-2011, 09:42
I was looking for Tiger Woods:D

Roland
01-09-2011, 10:02
I was looking for Tiger Woods:D

Please explain. Did TW recently take-up running? I don't get it.

(Hey, it's not my fault. I lead a sheltered life.)

jdb
01-09-2011, 13:08
Not that I know of.......Nike was Tigers sponsor and everyone was naked which was life as he knew it before the party ended.

DebbieinNH
01-30-2011, 14:05
Were the AT on private property I might accept naked hiking. Hey I am in AANR so I like going natural. But on a public trail there is no place for it. I have to admit though on a hot sweltering summer day it might feel better than sweaty clothes plastered to my body.
The comment about meeting children is right on though. No one has the right to subject innocents to nudity. The other thought was "what is he thinking? Whats he going to do when a ranger stops him.

Trailbender
01-30-2011, 15:07
The comment about meeting children is right on though. No one has the right to subject innocents to nudity. The other thought was "what is he thinking? Whats he going to do when a ranger stops him.

I don't hike naked, and never will. I do have issue with this comment, though. There is nothing "evil" or "wrong" with nudity. Too many people nowadays are uptight prudes that have been brainwashed by society's "rules".

Pedaling Fool
01-30-2011, 16:07
Everyone throws around the N-word (Natural) (in this case they used, "Super Natural")... oooh, ahhhh Super Natural.... Any more it's just a word used to sell a product or to guilt people into a certain lifestyle.

Live Naturally --- W-T-F does that mean, no one knows and if you ask people you'll get a blank stare, followed by some mumbling, because they use this word in the same way a parrot says "hello". Think we have problems defining Thru-hiker, that's a piece of cake...

Sasqwatch
03-17-2011, 17:18
Were the AT on private property I might accept naked hiking. Hey I am in AANR so I like going natural. But on a public trail there is no place for it. I have to admit though on a hot sweltering summer day it might feel better than sweaty clothes plastered to my body.

Not to get off topic from the advertisement, but you kinda opened the door. "Subject innocents to nudity"? What does that mean? You say that you're a member of the American Association for Nude Recreation so I would assume that you believe that there is nothing wrong with simple nudity. I agree that everything has it's place and there are times when nudity is not appropriate for the setting, but your statement sounds as though children would be exposed to something bad or dirty. What gives?

EastCoastFeastCoast
03-17-2011, 18:03
I work for Nike, LOVE this video!

WingedMonkey
03-17-2011, 18:50
Many years ago, hiking up out of the Grand Canyon on the Hermit Trail, all alone in the middle of no where, I slipped my shorts off and stored them between my pack and sleeping bag. As I was approaching a time of day where it might be possible that someone hiking down might pass, I went to put them back on. Not there. Panic.
Was my lucky day though, only had to back track about 1/2 mile and there they were in the middle of the trail. And sure enough, 15 minutes later, two hikers passed me. They had no idea why I was grinning so much.
:sun

fehchet
03-17-2011, 20:21
Many years ago, hiking up out of the Grand Canyon on the Hermit Trail, all alone in the middle of no where, I slipped my shorts off and stored them between my pack and sleeping bag. As I was approaching a time of day where it might be possible that someone hiking down might pass, I went to put them back on. Not there. Panic.
Was my lucky day though, only had to back track about 1/2 mile and there they were in the middle of the trail. And sure enough, 15 minutes later, two hikers passed me. They had no idea why I was grinning so much.

Thanks, made me smile.

88BlueGT
04-13-2011, 12:05
^^^ +1 funny stuff

I have no problem with people hiking naked BUT I would choose not to have to see some guy walking besides me with his wang flapping in the wind.

BUT for me and for every person here, I nor you, own the Appalachian Trail, which means that you do not have the right to push your opinions on others, whether you think they are for the good of hikers, children, or what not. If your a free spirit who thinks its better to hike naked, go for it. Just try and let me know before you come walking up behind me so I can be warned :rolleyes:

Sierra Echo
04-13-2011, 12:10
My boobs are so big that if I were to run naked I would end up with a busted nose and two black eyes~! :eek:

Spokes
04-13-2011, 12:27
Too funny!

WingedMonkey
04-13-2011, 12:38
My boobs are so big that if I were to run naked I would end up with a busted nose and two black eyes~! :eek:
Better to counter balance your pack weight.

One Half
04-23-2011, 20:50

ROFL

(why don't we have an emoticon for that?)

Dogwood
04-23-2011, 23:23
Naked trail running, OOH watch out for brambles!

Not recommeneded for large breasted women!

I'm going to get in trouble for that!

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2011, 23:29
Hell if you really knew trouble from big breasted women, you wouldn't have posted that, now would you? I married one and know better.

txag
04-24-2011, 00:19
After Megan's law, even mooning someone and getting caught may have you required to register as a sex offender. Just depends - makes a college prank a lifetime decision.

Penguin
04-24-2011, 00:27
Is Megan's Law a component of Murphy's law? i.e. As soon as you drop your drawers, there will be a group of scouts walking by?

Rain Man
04-24-2011, 18:15
After Megan's law, even mooning someone and getting caught may have you required to register as a sex offender. Just depends - makes a college prank a lifetime decision.

And makes a joke out of sex offender lists, which should not be abused by prudes with power.

Rain:sunMan

LoneRidgeRunner
04-24-2011, 18:47
A friend of mine once told me he saw some naked hikers in God's Country which is an area near where I live on the head waters of Steel's Creek. When I asked him if they were totally naked he said..no, they were wearing back packs and hiking boots...musta been a sight..:D

trailangelbronco
04-24-2011, 20:15
I hike with my young grandkids in the summer and if a naked dude comes walkin up on the trail two things would happen.

1. Kids would point, call them names and laugh at them.
2. Grandpa would shove Leki pole up his arse

It's up to us, when we want to exlplain biology to our youngins, not some weirdo naked hiker. Seriously, I'd kick someones arse for that.

Penguin
04-24-2011, 20:26
I hike with my young grandkids in the summer and if a naked dude comes walkin up on the trail two things would happen.

1. Kids would point, call them names and laugh at them.
2. Grandpa would shove Leki pole up his arse

It's up to us, when we want to exlplain biology to our youngins, not some weirdo naked hiker. Seriously, I'd kick someones arse for that.

What if the naked man gets turned on when you sodomize him with your trekking pole in front of the kids? I think you should consider this before attempting to assault a man's anus publicly.

Sierra Echo
04-24-2011, 20:30

I would think that brambles would snag a wanky faster then it would boobies.

Penguin
04-24-2011, 20:36
Nudity isn't illegal on Federal land. So if your on Forest Service or Park Service land your ok. I imagine most of the state land would be fine then too. You just have to cover up if someone says there offended by it. Though in most cases they can choose not to look.

Oh and OUCH!!!! Brambles on the wanky would hurt! Though some people I know in Tucson might be into that. Are there many spiky pointy sharp things on the AT, like the AZT or PCT?

restless
04-24-2011, 21:43
Nudity isn't illegal on Federal land. So if your on Forest Service or Park Service land your ok. I imagine most of the state land would be fine then too. You just have to cover up if someone says there offended by it. Though in most cases they can choose not to look.

Oh and OUCH!!!! Brambles on the wanky would hurt! Though some people I know in Tucson might be into that. Are there many spiky pointy sharp things on the AT, like the AZT or PCT?

You should check withyour local US Forest Service Office regarding the legality of being publicly nude on Federal Lands. Most Forest Supervisors across the nation have signed regulations prohibiting public nudity on US Forest Service lands. The same I'm sure is true for NPS units as well. If you doubt it, well ,walk up to a ranger while nude and be sure to let us know what happens.

Penguin
04-24-2011, 22:05
I asked an NPS ranger in Yosemite and at the Grand Canyon, as well as a Forest Service Ranger in the Hoover Wilderness, and they all said that it wasn't a problem unless someone complained that they were offended. Some cities have laws protecting public nudity, San Francisco is one where you can walk around completely nude, if your not being lewd. In NYC a woman can legally be topless. Nude people can be found on many public beaches, and there aren't cops swarming them. Most people also decide to go nude at hot springs on public land as well and there isn't a problem, even when people of all age groups are represented.

Though it might just be a West Coast thing......

Not that I ever hiked nude, if there aren't bad mosquitos, and I remember (I forgot it was nude hiking day June 21 on both 07 and 09 PCT) I probably will this year. It's a tuesday, I suggest that if people get uptight about seeing nude people on the AT that they
1. Consider a different recreational activity on Nude Hiking Day.
2. Hike a different trail then the AT that day.
3. Accept the occasional nude hiker as part of AT culture in general, and just consider it another AT experience.
4. Join in.

There is a ranger training program here at Northern Arizona University http://www.prm.nau.edu/rangers/ so tomorrow, if I can remember, I will go ask them for the official rules on nudity on public land. It should prove interesting anyway. Allegedly this is one of 6 such schools in the country, and there is a waiting list to get in. It's an emphasis area of my major, Parks and Rec Management, but I'm going the Wildland Management route, and not resource protection.

So tomorrow hopefully I can actually post an informed answer, and sorry, in advance, if I'm mistaken about the above info.

44terryberry
04-26-2011, 16:31

or well endowed men,,,

Pedaling Fool
10-06-2012, 09:11
I asked an NPS ranger in Yosemite and at the Grand Canyon, as well as a Forest Service Ranger in the Hoover Wilderness, and they all said that it wasn't a problem unless someone complained that they were offended. Some cities have laws protecting public nudity, San Francisco is one where you can walk around completely nude, if your not being lewd. In NYC a woman can legally be topless. Nude people can be found on many public beaches, and there aren't cops swarming them. Most people also decide to go nude at hot springs on public land as well and there isn't a problem, even when people of all age groups are represented.

Though it might just be a West Coast thing......

Even San Francisco is getting sick of all the nudity; so when people complain about it here on the AT, they're not just being closed-minded prudes. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443862604578032743928856404.html

Proposed Ban on Public Nudity Offends Some in San Francisco

Stark Debate Over When Birthday Suits Are Proper Attire; Tourist Attraction

SAN FRANCISCO—San Francisco's tolerance toward tolerance is wearing thin.

A city supervisor here proposed a law Tuesday that would ban nudity in most public places across the city. For years, the city has held an "equilibrium" with nudity at public events and occasionally in neighborhoods, said the supervisor, Scott Wiener, but the nudity recently "has just gotten extreme."

At issue is a public plaza that regularly attracts nudists in the historically gay Castro neighborhood, prompting a debate about the limits of civil liberties in this famously tolerant city. After complaints about the naked people by some businesses and residents, Mr. Wiener proposed the bareness-busting bill.

The proposed ban doesn't sit well with some urban nudists.

"This is, in my opinion, an attack on freedom," said George Davis, 66 years old, who was soaking up the sun Tuesday wearing nothing more than sunglasses and a hat, reading a book about Twitter, the microblogging service. As one of the Castro's famous nudists, "I meet people from all over the world," he said, including South Korea, France and Liechtenstein.

Some argued a ban would mark a slippery slope for the city. "Today it is naked people, and next week it will be drag queens, and then the week after that it will be people who wear leather," said Mitch Hightower, 51, who organizes an annual "nude-in" body freedom demonstration in the city and runs an exhibitionist website.

"I think there are a lot of people in the community that feel in order to advance legal and civil rights they need to blend in and be as bland and vanilla as possible," he said.

Increasingly over the past year, a group of three to more than a dozen men have formed what Mr. Wiener calls an "ad hoc nudist colony" on most afternoons in the Castro's main public plaza, just steps away from a train station and the city's jumbo rainbow gay pride flag.

"If only they looked better, it would be great," said Tom Moore, bartender at the Twin Peaks bar in front of the Castro plaza, which doesn't let the naked people inside.
But that doesn't keep some tourists away, he said. "The foreign tourists love to have their pictures taken with them," said Mr. Moore.

The photo shoots bother Mr. Wiener. "Our neighborhood is not a zoo," he said.

Cleve Jones, a gay rights activist and longtime Castro resident, said there should be a limit to San Francisco's tolerance. "I am not a prude," he said. "I don't believe this behavior would be tolerated by the police if they were doing it in Dianne Feinstein's or Nancy Pelosi's neighborhood."

Josh Moreno, manager at the Hot Cookie shop on Castro Street, said he had no problem with the naked guys, including in his cookie store. "We don't discriminate against people based on their appearance," he said. "We shouldn't be focusing our taxpayer dollars to ban something that is just natural."
California law bans "lewd" behavior, which some Castro residents accused the nudists of, and other cities including Berkeley and San Jose have over the years added specific ordinances outlawing nudity.

San Francisco already bans nudity in its public parks and last year passed a law backed by Mr. Wiener that requires nudists to cover chairs and benches in public places before sitting on them.

The state of New York's penal code bans nudity, with exceptions for breast-feeding and participation in a theatrical production, though enforcement of the law is left up to local police.
In a nod toward compromise, Mr. Wiener's proposal would prohibit nudity in city plazas, sidewalks and public transit, but not at festivals and parades like the annual Folsom Street Fair and crosstown Bay to Breakers race, which attract naked participants from far and wide.

Most of the people who have complained to him about the nudity are gay residents of the Castro, said Mr. Wiener. "This is not what we fought for," he said.

Lately, some in San Francisco have been worrying about this city banning too many things. In 2004, for instance, the board of supervisors voted to ban the city's zoo from keeping elephants in enclosures smaller than 15 acres, a move that effectively banned elephants in the city. A 2009 law made composting food waste mandatory, banning residents from throwing out dinner scraps. A year later, the city prohibited restaurants from handing out free toys along with meals that didn't meet certain nutrition standards.

Harmeet Dhillon, the chairwoman of the San Francisco Republican Party, said San Francisco bans too much, and she opposed some city bans, including one on plastic bags that went into effect this week. "These are all unwarranted extensions of government," she said.

But she sides with Mr. Wiener on the nudity ban. "I just saw one outside of the Transamerica building. He was wearing shoes and socks and a backpack," she said. "It was kind of gross."
Mr. Hightower said that it is all in the eyes of the beholder. "There are a lot of things that I see when I walk down the public street that I would rather not look at, but I am not asking everybody to legislate that away," he said.

The debate has already taken theatrical form. On Sept. 21, a short play called "The Buck Naked Church of Truth" debuted at the local Left Coast Theater Company. The play, which includes nudity, tells the story of a father who finds his son naked in the Castro.

James A. Martin, the play's 54-year-old San Francisco author, said he got the idea to write the play because his friends were all talking about the naked guys in the Castro. "It was causing dissension among people who normally agree on things—this sounds like a good thing to explore in a short comic play," said Mr. Martin.

Maddog
10-06-2012, 09:29

Don't let that stop you! I always carry my first aid kit! Maddog:D

kayak karl
10-06-2012, 10:30
brings whole new meaning to "unsupported hike"

Wise Old Owl
10-06-2012, 11:03
Wow John its really weird to see old posts and threads like this..... even my own.

Pedaling Fool
10-07-2012, 08:56
Wow John its really weird to see old posts and threads like this..... even my own.
I figured it's better than all these lame threads lately. ;)

Wise Old Owl
10-07-2012, 09:01
Yup...........bored as hell.

Toli
10-07-2012, 09:33
Hell if you really knew trouble from big breasted women, you wouldn't have posted that, now would you? I married one and know better.

That's just braggin' Woo... Not acceptable on WB :rolleyes:...